Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

martyos121 wrote: »
    Dani Ceballos looks like he might be off to Real Madrid for €15m. That's an unbelievable deal for Madrid considering the crazy money being thrown around this summer. Shame for Betis that they couldn't get his buyout clause raised last season, €15m is daylight robbery for a player of his potential, he was sensational in the U21 Euros.

They paid like €4m for Asensio, Everton paid €5m for Sandro, must be a thing in Spain to have these low buy out clauses for the players to want to join them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Burial. wrote: »
    The money from next seasons shirt sales for Messi, Suarez and Neymar would pay for it pretty handily I'd imagine. No shortage in Barcelona.

There is obviously a shortage at Barcelona its been reported everywhere. They have to sell albeit a very good player before they can buy
    I suspect Gomes myself

• AdamD wrote: »
    Shirt sales do not come remotely close to covering transfer fees.....can we stop with this myth?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

It's more than shirt sales Everton will gain from a marketing aspect if that's your angle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They paid like €4m for Asensio, Everton paid €5m for Sandro, must be a thing in Spain to have these low buy out clauses for the players to want to join them

The fact that buyout clauses are compulsory in Spain definitely makes it easier to find bargains because players who wouldn't normally have one in their contract in England or Germany for example would over there. If they don't sign a new contract then like Asensio or Sandro, the selling club's hands are pretty much tied in getting shafted in a transfer deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If United had a 75m euro bid turned down for Morata last night, and now are supposedly saying the fee is agreed on their end and that they are no longer interested in Morata, could they just be pressuring Real Madrid?

I feel bad for Morata if he was just a pawn! I wonder did he actually cut his honeymoon short.

4D chess anyways, hate transfer windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

ERG89 wrote: »
    Again?? They had an unreal second string side all season.
    They probably have more quality centre midfielders than most leagues have.
    Meanwhile Barca are snookered as they probably don't have the cash now to sign Verratti or someone of his quality.

I think its one for the future, maybe ease him into game time along side one of Kroos or Modric at the others expense, Modric is what nearly 32 and Kroos is pushing towards 30 too, Casemiro does a fine job, even if I hate that he somehow gets away with murder but they need a creator and Ceballos could fit that role.

Although they do still have Kovacic, who is already a gifted player and only 3 or 4 years older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's more than shirt sales Everton will gain from a marketing aspect if that's your angle

In football terms, its a pittance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Dunno why Everton would have have any interest in Rooney. For the money they could do better. An awkward player to have on the books with those wages.

He could well produce nothing for them and cost them 70m+ over the contract and they'd probably have to pay him off to go elsewhere.

Dunno why Everton would have have any interest in Rooney. For the money they could do better. An awkward player to have on the books with those wages.

He could well produce nothing for them and cost them 70m+ over the contract and they'd probably have to pay him off to go elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

AdamD wrote: »
    Shirt sales do not come remotely close to covering transfer fees.....can we stop with this myth?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

It depends on the individual agreements. By a lot of accounts United's deal with Adidas gives them a relatively high % of shirt sales. I'd imagine Barca aren't too far off that and even 15-20% of what the biggest players in the world bring in is very good money on top of the amount they are paid by the Nikes and Adidas of the world.

Liam O wrote: »
    It depends on the individual agreements. By a lot of accounts United's deal with Adidas gives them a relatively high % of shirt sales. I'd imagine Barca aren't too far off that and even 15-20% of what the biggest players in the world bring in is very good money on top of the amount they are paid by the Nikes and Adidas of the world.

So they get % of shirts sold to 3rd party shops like lifestyle, sports direct?

Can't say I've ever heard of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Liam O wrote: »
    Have any link for these figures?

Also the notion that player names are going to be a shirt sales driver is a total over-estimation. 99% of those folks would be buying jerseys anyways. It's just a matter of who they get on the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Burnley sign Charlie Taylor from Leeds.

Stephen Ward likely to lose his place to him..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think its one for the future, maybe ease him into game time along side one of Kroos or Modric at the others expense, Modric is what nearly 32 and Kroos is pushing towards 30 too, Casemiro does a fine job, even if I hate that he somehow gets away with murder but they need a creator and Ceballos could fit that role.

Although they do still have Kovacic, who is already a gifted player and only 3 or 4 years older.

Kroos is only gone 27 and is a beast, I think he has a few years yet before being made redundant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Conte telling Costa to take a hike doesn't seem the smartest move at the minute.

Leaves Morata the only real option and I'd take Costa over him

Conte telling Costa to take a hike doesn't seem the smartest move at the minute.

Belotti

That's also assuming Lukaku is a done deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I can understand why the money is so big for Lukaku as he is a proven Premier league player but Alvaro Morata showed good quality last season but he didn't play that often. He was never a proven goalscorer before then so I'm not sure he is worth the money being bandied about as the potential fee.

I'd much rather somebody with a couple of consistent seasons behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Morata became a bit of a hype when he scored 2x to sent Real out of the CL when on loan at Juve.
    He is ok, he is not €70 million ok. But neither is Lukaku.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Lukker- wrote: »
    Belotti

That's also assuming Lukaku is a done deal

Chelsea surely wouldn't pay the 100 million and Torino would be mad to accept less, ball completely in their court

Chelsea surely wouldn't pay the 100 million and Torino would be mad to accept less, ball completely in their court

He'd go for the same as Lukaku. At the start of the transfer window Everton were saying that they wouldn't sell for less than £100m. It's posturing.

The ball is always in the court of the selling club if the player has a long term contract.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/manchester-united-agree-75m-transfer-fee-with-everton-for-romelu-lukaku-2hchjmnnj
    Full article below.
    Manchester United believe they are on the verge of agreeing a deal to sign Romelu Lukaku from Everton for an initial payment of £75 million.

Everton countered claims emanating from Old Trafford that the transfer had been finalised, but the expectation remains that Lukaku will become a United player.

The mooted fee is lower than expected, especially in this inflated current market, but Everton will accrue bonus related add-ons should Lukaku excel.

The deal is running independent of Everton’s interest in Wayne Rooney, but the goodwill between the clubs will nevertheless help smooth Rooney’s return to Goodison Park by the weekend. United’s first pitch to Everton was inclusive of a deal for Rooney.

United say they have dropped their interest in Real Madrid’s Álvaro Morata as a result of securing Lukaku, who was José Mourinho’s first choice to bolster his attack.

Ed Woodward, United’s CEO, has been leading the negotiations with Everton and the sense of satisfaction at recruiting the 24-year-old will be magnified by the prospect of beating off interest from Chelsea. Lukaku in numbers

Chelsea manager Antonio Conte’s troubled relationship with his board is likely to become further strained with Lukaku seemingly rejecting the chance to return to Stamford Bridge three years after moving from there to Everton in a £28 million deal.

Mourinho was in charge of Chelsea when the sale of Lukaku was sanctioned, but the Belgium forward has previously explained that he pleaded to be allowed to move and has spoken reverentially of their relationship.

Lukaku was due back for pre-season training at Everton today, but has remained on holiday in Los Angeles, with the club’s permission, along with friend and prospective United team-mate Paul Pogba.

United fly to Los Angeles on Sunday as they begin a three-week tour and so there is the likelihood of Lukaku having a medical in the United States before finalising personal terms in the region of £200,000-a-week

68 - Premier League goals since his Everton debut in September 2013, only Sergio Agüero (86) and Harry Kane (78) have more

22.7% shot conversion rate in the Premier League last season - higher than Manchester United’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic (14.8), Marcus Rashford (11.4), Wayne Rooney (9.6), Anthony Martial (9.5)

Lukaku is one of only three players to have scored 10+ goals in each of the last five Premier League seasons (alongside Olivier Giroud and Sergio Agüero).

The issue was Costa saying it to the press.

Costas made no secret of wanting to return to Madrid and I might be cynical but I think him getting dumped via txt wasnt simply Conte saying "here, cheers for the title but youre done".

If Costa has more tact, he gets his move anyway because the relationship between both apparently isnt great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I thought Griezmann was Jose's first choice and that deal was done many times before it wasn't.

I thought Griezmann was Jose's first choice and that deal was done many times before it wasn't.

Posturing from the press.

Ive no doubt if Atleti didnt have a transfer ban and Griezmann was more ruthless and demanded a move, he'd be at Utd right now.

Unless of course Griezmann was going to be played out wide in a 3 man attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

75m for Lukaku? :eek: The market is mad. So Morata is off the agenda then surely?

In what context is the market mad? What is an appropriate transfer fee? Do you consider it mad because there was a time you could buy one of the top forwards in the league for £20 million? Have you considered inflation? The sharp increase in revenue that the big clubs like Man Utd have seen in recent years.

75 million would be about 10.8% of Man Utd's most recent revenue total. Compare that with other forwards Utd bought from rival Premier League clubs. RVP cost about 7.5% of total revenue. Bertatov about 11.7%. Rooney about 14%. Or Van Nistelrooy who came from a different league was 12.9%.

So why do you consider the market to be mad now?

• I thought Griezmann was Jose's first choice and that deal was done many times before it wasn't.

BBC / Sky never reported this. Neither did either club.
    Speculation

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Sky are saying Lukaku was their number one choice the last few weeks. Honestly not having a go at the club or player but hate seeing Sky change the story as this deal is something that hasn't been clear to them the last few hours never mind weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'd have more faith in Norwood, a freelance photographer attached to the club when it comes to new signings than any journo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Burnley sign Charlie Taylor from Leeds.

Stephen Ward likely to lose his place to him..

Is Taylor any good don't think I've ever seen him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lukaku, good prolific young striker but that's it he's only good. He has distinctly unimpressed me in any of the big games I have watched of him.
    Bad first touch, technically not great and has poor work rate. I honestly can't see why Mourinho want's him, he isn't a scratch on the player he is constantly compared to, Drogba.

I'm not sure he is a Champions league level player. Good deal for Everton though 75m plus add-ons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Gbear wrote: »

Where the feck did you pull 70m+ from?

I think comparing Drogba to Lukaku is a bit silly, theyre two totally different players, I think Lukaku said the exact same when he was at Chelsea, theyre two very different CFs.

Drogba at the same age was only in his second season of Ligue 1 football too, Lukaku is far better developed than Drogba was at that age but in terms of big game player, theres no doubting whos better or who you'd bank on first but Lukaku could grow into that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bob the Seducer

Oat23 wrote: »

Newcastle will be devastated after all that intensive scouting! I wonder has the Daily Mail broken the story yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

rob316 wrote:
    Lukaku, good prolific young striker but that's it he's only good. He has distinctly unimpressed me in any of the big games I have watched of him. Bad first touch, technically not great and has poor work rate. I honestly can't see why Mourinho want's him, he isn't a scratch on the player he is constantly compared to, Drogba.
    Well you clearly have seen very little if him if you are saying he has a poor work rate.
    rob316 wrote:
    I'm not sure he is a Champions league level player. Good deal for Everton though 75m plus add-ons.
    We can only guess what he'll be like because he has never been in a team with world class attacking mids to create chances for him.
    I expect him to continue to improve.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

People have been doubting Lukaku since he was 20 or so.

He's a phenomenal striker and will improve even more imo.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Lukker- wrote: »
    Also the notion that player names are going to be a shirt sales driver is a total over-estimation. 99% of those folks would be buying jerseys anyways. It's just a matter of who they get on the back.

99% might be a bit high. Im sure before Beckham moved to LA Galaxy all those asians werent lining up for the jersey. I think Zlatan/Pogba would have been the same for United. There is certain players capable of selling jerseys.
    Now Messi at Barcelona wont sell more jerseys than he did last year, in that case they were going to buy it anyways

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well you clearly have seen very little if him if you are saying he has a poor work rate.

We can only guess what he'll be like because he has never been in a team with world class attacking mids to create chances for him.
    I expect him to continue to improve.

Except Belgium ;)

He is a 1 in 3 from them which isn't bad for a 24 year old at International level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

eagle eye wrote: »

Remember reading that Lukaku covered considerably less km per game than most of the other top strikers in the league - his record is outstanding but I wouldn't be that excited if I was a Utd fan - he's a level below a top striker like Harry Kane.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Where the feck did you pull 70m+ from?

Would he take a massive pay cut to go back to Everton?

How much will they have to spend.

If he goes on a free and takes 150k then it's worth a punt.

If it's £20m and 250k then it wouldn't be.
    I don't think that fee is unreasonable and I'm sure Rooney would get those kinds of wages in the US, Asia or the Middle East if he fancied a pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

People saying Lukaku is lazy or has no work-rate... I don't know if they watch him.

He's a poacher, a type like van Nistelrooij. Pretty much always in the right place for the easy tap ins. But he can also take on defenders, is a great header, nigh impossible to push off the ball,...

Remember reading that Lukaku covered considerably less km per game than most of the other top strikers in the league - his record is outstanding but I wouldn't be that excited if I was a Utd fan - he's a level below a top striker like Harry Kane.

Everyone knows Kane is only a 3 season wonder.

It would take at least double the 75m Utd have bid for Lukaku to tempt Levy to sell Kane.

Theres better CFs around of course there is but not many are available, thats the problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Swansea have signed Roque Mesa from Las Palmas. Decent centre mid from what I've seen, though that isn't a lot. Had a pass completion of 91.4% last year according to the Beeb.

He must have the best tache in football right now. Apparently, it's for a bet and he won't shave it 'til he gets into the Spanish team.
    14836330990349.jpg

Hes going to have it until he retires so. :o

Michu got his one cap playing for Swansea so there is always a chance.

Barca had a £20m bid rejected for Paulinho by his Chinese club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Swansea have signed Roque Mesa from Las Palmas. Decent centre mid from what I've seen, though that isn't a lot. Had a pass completion of 91.4% last year according to the Beeb.

He must have the best tache in football right now. Apparently, it's for a bet and he won't shave it 'til he gets into the Spanish team.
    14836330990349.jpg

After showing how good he is at leaning on stuff I expect him to sign for Liverpool next year

• Advertisement
Advertisement