Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Fee is 75m rising to 90m and rooney valued at 10m. So 100m all in. Is it a good deal for everton? Yes because Lukaku wants out . I'd rather the 85m and no rooney though.

So they pay £65m now and another £15m if he makes the add one.

United probably giving him £150k a week which will save them on quite a bit compared to Rooney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He scores goals, I think its fair to assume, if goal scoring is a difficult thing to do, a player who does it reguarly for lesser teams, will suit any teams style, especially with betterr players around him.

Can understand that, but I think Utd's current MF would suit a faster hardworking player like Morata to get the best out of them. Getting the rest of the team syncing and chipping in with goals is as vital as getting a decent CF for Utd IMO. Utd looked lethal at points this season without Zlatan, moving the ball very quickly. Still a great buy regardless.

• JPA wrote: »
    24 hours late?

They sure are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That man does.my head in!! If he's not jissing in his pants over deadline day he's stirring the pot to get some views on SSN :P

Apparently it's all "bants" though because he'll be wearing a yellow tie for deadline day. When he's shouting about whether Sam Vokes will move to Ipswich at 10:30pm on the last day of August because all the proper transfers have been completed weeks beforehand, you'll be able to smell the desperation off him and Sky. It's not the same since they banned crowds from gathering outside the grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

domrush wrote: »
    Can understand that, but I think Utd's current MF would suit a faster hardworking player like Morata to get the best out of them. Getting the rest of the team syncing and chipping in with goals is as vital as getting a decent CF for Utd IMO. Utd looked lethal at points this season without Zlatan, moving the ball very quickly. Still a great buy regardless.

Begrudgingly I'd disagree, Utd were at there best /with/ Ibra, a big, relatively immobile, killer instinct goalscorer. Lukaku will need to work a lot on his link-up play to get anywhere near Ibra standards but I think he suits the Jose system bang on unfortunately.

Lukaku with 2 of Rashford, Martial, Mkh on the sides is a jose dream surely. Pogba to ping long/lobbed balls into the three of them, pure counterattacking material. If he can add Matic or any actual holding player to the team it'll be tailormade for his style of football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Utd did look good in Ibras absence, thats true but they also lacked, at times, his presence.

Lukaku isnt Ibra, not many players past or present have his touch, vision and grace with a football but Lukaku isnt exactly a hulking, no talented lump like Akinfenwa either.

I thik he'll do well for Utd, I hope he doesnt but I think he will.

• martyos121 wrote: »
    Apparently it's all "bants" though because he'll be wearing a yellow tie for deadline day. When he's shouting about whether Sam Vokes will move to Ipswich at 10:30pm on the last day of August because all the proper transfers have been completed weeks beforehand, you'll be able to smell the desperation off him and Sky. It's not the same since they banned crowds from gathering outside the grounds.

Oh that long lost dildo, we miss you brother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Jayop wrote: »
    What your doing is only looking at the net worth of that asset and not what that asset could produce for you. It's a very simplistic way to look at a complicated thing.

Haven't all the figures at hand.

Which statistical model do you use for such calculations?
    Common sense tells me it's not just a case if the net value of an asset which is all you're looking at. If that asset is producing profit for you then just selling it at a profit from what it cost you doesn't mean it makes good sense.

Liverpool made a huge profit on Suarez. Was selling him good from a business point if view, taking the players wish to leave out of the equation. The same with Ronaldo and united. Massive net profit, but then you have the money but no asset. Unless you can then translate that profit into at least equal assets then its poor business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

emmetkenny wrote: »
    So they pay £65m now and another £15m if he makes the add one.

United probably giving him £150k a week which will save them on quite a bit compared to Rooney.

200k a week I heard for Lukaku

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Morata and Lukaku are about the same in terms of speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    So is it good business for Everton?

It depends on how the money gets spent. As an Evertonian who watches almost every Everton game, Lukaku is still very much a work in progress. He's a lethal finisher when running at goal but he can be incredibly frustrating in other aspects of his game (recall the aggro on the pitch at Old Trafford 3 months ago when Everton were trying to protect a 1-0 lead and Lukaku kept giving the ball back to Man Utd very easily and Williams lost the plot with him - that was by no means an unusual Lukaku performance). I have a few friends in Merseyside who have been dying for him to leave.

Despite what a lot of papers will say, Rooney is not Lukaku's replacement (they ignore that three strikers have left the club, not just Lukaku). Sandro Ramirez and Wayne Rooney are replacements for Aroune Kone and Enner Valencia and there seems a strong possibility of Olivier Giroud arriving. But I expect a good £40 Million chunk of the Lukaku money to be spent on another striker. My prediction would be Dembele from Celtic (although there are whispers of a bigger marquee signing coming, I don't know who, and that Dembele is the fall-back option).

On a separate note, there are strong rumors of an Everton bid for Virgil Van Dijk. Or maybe that is the marquee signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Laois_Man wrote: »
    It depends on how the money gets spent. As an Evertonian who watches almost every Everton game, Lukaku is still very much a work in progress. He's a lethal finisher when running at goal but he can be incredibly frustrating in other aspects of his game (recall the aggro on the pitch at Old Trafford 3 months ago when Everton were trying to protect a 1-0 lead and Lukaku kept giving the ball back to Man Utd very easily and Williams lost the plot with him - that was by no means an unusual Lukaku performance). I have a few friends in Merseyside who have been dying for him to leave.

Despite what a lot of papers will say, Rooney is not Lukaku's replacement (they ignore that three strikers have left the club, not just Lukaku). Sandro Ramirez and Wayne Rooney are replacements for Aroune Kone and Enner Valencia and there seems a strong possibility of Olivier Giroud arriving. But I expect a good £40 Million chunk of the Lukaku money to be spent on another striker. My prediction would be Dembele from Celtic (although there are whispers of a bigger marquee signing coming, I don't know who, and that Dembele is the fall-back option).

On a separate note, there are strong rumors of an Everton bid for Virgil Van Dijk. Or maybe that is the marquee signing.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Would that not be a stange signing for them, Keane and Williams has the makings of a very good pairing with Jagielka as back up.

As a United fan I'm very pleased with Lukaku signing, Morata would be more interesting from the "unknown" perspective but Lukaku is one of the best CF's in the league. If he hits 25 goals a season for the next 5 years it will be money well spent (regardless of it being €90 or €100 million)

United need more goals from other areas of the field. Guys like Rashford, Martial, Mhki& Pogba all need to be looking at 10 goals next season. If that happens with Lukaku guaranteeing his normal return we will be well placed.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Van Dijk would take up most/all of their Lukaku money. You'd imagine it would be going into a striker.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

What if your done in the market now, maybe the board spent the Lukaku money before they sold him so they wouldn't be ripped off when buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Would that not be a stange signing for them, Keane and Williams has the makings of a very good pairing with Jagielka as back up.

As a United fan I'm very pleased with Lukaku signing, Morata would be more interesting from the "unknown" perspective but Lukaku is one of the best CF's in the league. If he hits 25 goals a season for the next 5 years it will be money well spent (regardless of it being €90 or €100 million)

United need more goals from other areas of the field. Guys like Rashford, Martial, Mhki& Pogba all need to be looking at 10 goals next season. If that happens with Lukaku guaranteeing his normal return we will be well placed.

Problem is, Jagielka will turn 35 and Williams will turn 33 - both next month, and Everton in the Europa League will have a lot of games. I'm also half expecting Funes Mori to leave. So it wouldn't be a strange signing really - except for the amount of money it would cost - if the bid even gets accepted at all.

Everton too have had a problem with goals from other areas of the pitch other than Lukaku. It may be that Lukaku's inability to make a ball stick could be part of that. 6 assists inst great like. Ibrahimovic had more in 10 less games.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Van Dijk would take up most/all of their Lukaku money. You'd imagine it would be going into a striker.

Depends on how much they have. Who knows?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

With Sandro Ramirez and Rooney replacing Lukaku and Everton getting all that cash you would think they aren't done yet even if some of it would be earmarked to pay Rooney's wages.

Gylfi Sigurdsson has been linked strongley, i've seen Marcelo Brozovic mentioned too iirc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Ah the aul Slave/prisoner remarks in full flow

https://twitter.com/gffn/status/883280013403017217

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Cyrus Christie on his way to Middlesbrough.

Could be good move for him.

Barca, staying classy as always it seems.
    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu told Spanish newspaper Mundo Deportivo;

'We know the player is bowled over by the prospect of coming to Barca. But when you ring PSG and you talk to their president, he says to us that he is not for sale and that they don't have release clauses.'

'Marco Verratti is a prisoner of the Emir,' the Barcelona chief said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Gavlor wrote: »

VVD ending up at Merseyside for Everton would have been brilliant. I love a good transfer meltdown on Twitter and that would have been special.

VVD ending up at Merseyside for Everton would have been brilliant. I love a good transfer meltdown on Twitter and that would have been special.

Whatever about selling him to the top teams why would Southampton sell to a mid table rival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Waiting for Xavi, Pique, Busquets to tell the media he has Barcelona DNA :rolleyes:

• Rumours of Johnny Walters on his way to Burnley

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GavRedKing wrote:

His agent said he was a prisoner, not Barcelona who admitted their hands are tied with a transfer. At least the first part was accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Whatever about selling him to the top teams why would Southampton sell to a mid table rival?

They've been selling to Liverpool for years so it obviously doesn't bother them.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    They've been selling to Liverpool for years so it obviously doesn't bother them.

4211417.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Rumours of Johnny Walters on his way to Burnley

Think its more than rumours think its nailed on. Offer of 2 year deal the swinging point for Jon, who can blame him!

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    His agent said he was a prisoner, not Barcelona who admitted their hands are tied with a transfer. At least the first part was accurate.

This is true, I've checked a few places and the qoute was thrown together in away to make it look like the President said it, poor journalism.

Sirigu, whos just left PSG for Italy said something similar about Verratti feeling like a prisoner in the sitaution, it seems clear that Barca want him and that Verratti is open to the idea.

The only isue now will be a fee to tempt PSG into selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

If Verratti really wants to leave PSG he should stop signing new contract extensions, he signed one to 2020 in Febuary last year and then another extension to 2021 in August.

Not transfer related but I just saw that little lad Bradley in the Sunderland jersey with cancer has passed away.

Just awful only 6, around my sons age. RIP, couldn't imagine what the parents are going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

rob316 wrote: »
    Not transfer related but I just saw that little lad Bradley in the Sunderland jersey with cancer has passed away.

Just awful only 6, around my sons age. RIP, couldn't imagine what the parents are going through.

The most awful news,feel terrible can't imagine how bad his poor family must be feeling..

One comfort for Bradley was Defoe, great genuine player who has been through enough the wars and matured into a proper statesman.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Corholio wrote: »
    or risen in how other posters may have rated him as well :pac:

Whom? Most would have him as one of the top 3 in the league, Im waiting for people to start saying Gabriel Jesus is better than him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

irishman86 wrote: »
    Whom? Most would have him as one of the top 3 in the league, Im waiting for people to start saying Gabriel Jesus is better than him

He's had plenty of criticism in matches, some fairly and unfairly. Just like people who will rate him less now, there is always some who will rate him higher just because he signed for their team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

irishman86 wrote: »

Count me in on that.

Count me in on that.

Shock horror

Shock horror

Shouldn't be. Brazil's starting 9 (excellent Brazil team btw), Man City's starting 9. Dislodged Aguero. Kid is a genius.

Shouldn't be. Brazil's starting 9 (excellent Brazil team btw), Man City's starting 9. Dislodged Aguero. Kid is a genius.

Kid has been in the PL for 6 months. Lukaku is a better striker at the minute but Jesus has far more potential, whether he fills that has yet to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gabriel Jesus has shown talent but he has yet to prove himself in a big league. At this moment in time he is a very talented and promising player and I'd expect that this time next year he will be rated very highly by most.

Are we talking strikers here? Aguero, Kane and Lukaku and Costa would be the three best in the league for me at this moment in time.

• Advertisement

Kid has been in the PL for 6 months. Lukaku is a better striker at the minute but Jesus has far more potential, whether he fills that has yet to be seen.

Ye I'm going by a small sample size, but happy to put my name to that opinion. Can't remember too many players I've seen come to Europe and hit the ground running as quickly as he has. Particularly impressive given hos age and that he arrived half way through the season too.

Ye I'm going by a small sample size, but happy to put my name to that opinion. Can't remember too many players I've seen come to Europe and hit the ground running as quickly as he has. Particularly impressive given hos age and that he arrived half way through the season too.

Neymar, Messi, Augero, Ronaldo, Rivaldo?

Don't get me wrong I think he's a super talent but has a long way to go yet.

Neymar, Messi, Augero, Ronaldo, Rivaldo?

Don't get me wrong I think he's a super talent but has a long way to go yet.

Not sure Aguero was an instant mega hit as Atletico. Messi isn't the best example either given that he arrived in Europe at 13, struggled with home sickness and had lots of time to acclimatise before his first team debut.
    Ronaldo is s definite though.

All that being said, the calibre of players we are talking about him alongside says a lot about his impact and potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Luis Muriel looking like he's going to Sevilla.
    In arguably better news for Barcelona than Messi signing a new deal the absolutely atrocious Mathieu has joined Sporting Lisbon.
    PSG have signed Yuri Berchiche from Sociedad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jonathan Walters has moved to Burnley

Paulinho still being pursued by Barcelona - which is weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jonathan Walters has moved to Burnley

Paulinho still being pursued by Barcelona - which is weird.

Wasn't fully concentrating when I read your post and thought it said Walters was being pursued by Barcelona.

That'd still make more sense than the Paulinho move. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

astradave wrote: »

Face saving exercise from Chelsea.

'He joined Man Utd all because of that greedy agent, he really wanted to come back to us'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Count me in on that.

Dont worry buddy, had you counted long ago on that train :pac:. But I always find your appraisals refreshing even if I disagree

• Advertisement
Advertisement