Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Corholio wrote: »
    He's had plenty of criticism in matches, some fairly and unfairly. Just like people who will rate him less now, there is always some who will rate him higher just because he signed for their team.

I suppose, I did consider Gomis the best french striker last year :pac:......:o

Ye I'm going by a small sample size, but happy to put my name to that opinion. Can't remember too many players I've seen come to Europe and hit the ground running as quickly as he has. Particularly impressive given hos age and that he arrived half way through the season too.

Carlos Alberto for Porto :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

irishman86 wrote: »
    Carlos Alberto for Porto :pac:

Ah but Gabriel Jesus has the right coach to nurture young talent :D;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Lukaku to utd tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/883421563651018752

If it's his personal desire to go to Chelsea then he will likely go there. I hope he winds up choosing United though.

Ah but Gabriel Jesus has the right coach to nurture young talent :D;)

Are you blaming Adriaanse or Jesualdo Ferreira for ruining him after Mourinho had him on the way to being a god :pac:
    *wikipedia may have been used in this witty come back

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Are you blaming Adriaanse or Jesualdo Ferreira for ruining him after Mourinho had him on the way to being a god :pac:
    *wikipedia may have been used in this witty come back

Haha absolutely worth it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Man Utd announce fee agreed for Lukaku subject to medical.

https://twitter.com/manutd/status/883581448493699072

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Ruben Neves has gone to Wolves. Something fishy there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

adox wrote: »
    Man Utd announce fee agreed for Lukaku subject to medical.

https://twitter.com/manutd/status/883581448493699072

Great signing for Utd imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

75 mill pounds rising to 90 ,plus Rooney, is he now the most expensive player ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

75 mill pounds rising to 90 ,plus Rooney, is he now the most expensive player ever?

The Rooney deal is separate though so it depends on what the add ons are, it might only rise to 90 if say he helps united win the Champions league or if he wins the Ballon D'or. Like what we did with the Martial fee.. don't think he can be classed as the most expensive player ever at the min anyways and might never be.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

It doesn't look as structured add the Martial deal. Likely goals/appearances. More details will trickle out in the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Looks like Rooney is included in the deal now, valuing the whole thing at £100m. Big gamble but United can afford to take chances like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Conte won't be happy I'm guessing wasn't Lukaku the player he wanted at any cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Great deal for Everton, given the financial clout of united it's a great deal for them too. Guaranteed a bag full of goals.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/romelu-lukaku-brink-everton-exit-13301310

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

brevity wrote: »

No more fishy than Lukaku ending up at Utd rather than Chelsea - it's all about the agent.

brevity wrote: »

All down to Jorge Mendes and all very dodgy - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jun/19/jorge-mendes-wolves-influence-chinese-owners-signings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't think Lukaku's all round game is good enough for a Barca or Real - I think he's not good enough to have those level of teams built around him.

At Utd I think it's a perfect fit though.
    I think Ibrahimovic benefited a lot from how central he was to Utd last season and by upgrading him with Lukaku I think we could see him scoring 30+ goals.

I still don't think it'll be enough to fix their attack on its own though. If the rest are still only scoring 5s and 6s it won't be enough to get them a title challenge, I don't think.

Maybe Mhktarian will have more influence next season but I still think they need another wide forward.

Said that earlier - at best Lukaku has replaced Lord Zlatans goal tally. That is nowhere near enough to actually win the league unless they plan to do it with a lot of 1-0s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Gbear wrote: »
    I don't think Lukaku's all round game is good enough for a Barca or Real - I think he's not good enough to have those level of teams built around him.

At Utd I think it's a perfect fit though.
    I think Ibrahimovic benefited a lot from how central he was to Utd last season and by upgrading him with Lukaku I think we could see him scoring 30+ goals.

I still don't think it'll be enough to fix their attack on its own though. If the rest are still only scoring 5s and 6s it won't be enough to get them a title challenge, I don't think.

Maybe Mhktarian will have more influence next season but I still think they need another wide forward.

Lukaku is not an upgrade on Zlatan. Zlatans close control is exceptional and that where Lukaku falls down.

I still think Lukaku will be a very very good signing for United and should hit 20 PL goals, he won't bring as much to the team as Zlatan though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

astradave wrote: »
    The Rooney deal is separate though so it depends on what the add ons are, it might only rise to 90 if say he helps united win the Champions league or if he wins the Ballon D'or. Like what we did with the Martial fee.. don't think he can be classed as the most expensive player ever at the min anyways and might never be.

Did Pogbas have no add ons?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Lukaku is not an upgrade on Zlatan. Zlatans close control is exceptional and that where Lukaku falls down.

I still think Lukaku will be a very very good signing for United and should hit 20 PL goals, he won't bring as much to the team as Zlatan though.

I think Lukaku is a more Mourinho type of player though. He'll be going direct with quick, early long balls and using his physicality and presence to bully teams. He'll try to use him like Chelsea did Drogba.

It's clear enough what type of side Mourinho is building - functional! Flair is not on the agenda which is why Mikki is a real outlier in the transfers and maybe why he has struggled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

emmetkenny wrote: »

Upgrade in the sense that he's the focal point of the attack and will score more goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What does this mean for England's next great hope Rashford?

Does he play out wide now or sub striker?

https://twitter.com/WelBeast/status/883586784344645632

Lukaku
    Martial--Mikki-Rashford.
    Pogba--
    Herrera

trouble is Rashford is terrible on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

What does this mean for England's next great hope Rashford?

Does he play out wide now or sub striker?

https://twitter.com/WelBeast/status/883586784344645632
    Probably both, depending on the game.

Lukaku
    Martial--Mikki-Rashford.
    Pogba--
    Herrera

trouble is Rashford is terrible on the right.
    That isn't a league winning bank of 3 beside the striker. If United can sign a player of similar quality to Lukaku (with pace) than they're legitimate contenders to win the league.

• Oh man, what a morning

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

CSF wrote: »
    That isn't a league winning bank of 3 beside the striker. If United can sign a player of similar quality to Lukaku (with pace) than they're legitimate contenders to win the league.

Any other Raiola clients? James?

• Looks like Rooney is included in the deal now, valuing the whole thing at £100m. Big gamble but United can afford to take chances like that.

What's the gamble?

naughtb4 wrote: »

James is Mendes. That could work also though :D

naughtb4 wrote: »

James is Mendes. That could work also though :D
    Would be more inclined to go for someone with obvious pace in the mould of Hazard, Sanchez, Mané, but James would still be a quality addition for any team.

Huge amounts depend on how Mkhitaryan comes on with a second season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

United need to buy a wide man and it would make a huge difference to the attack.Sanchez would be ideal.

Would be more inclined to go for someone with obvious pace in the mould of Hazard, Sanchez, Mané, but James would still be a quality addition for any team.

In fairness I don't think we will be set up in a 4231. I reckon we will buy a proper DM and set up 433 with Rashford/ Martial sharing games on the left and Mkhi on the right of Lukaku. Think we need another out and out winger and not someone like James. With new DM Herrera and Pogba as the midfield trio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Bit of a cod really calling it a £100 Million transfer.I doubt the full £15 Million worth of add ons will ever be paid and Rooney was never moving for a transfer fee

In fairness I don't think we will be set up in a 4231. I reckon we will buy a proper DM and set up 433 with Rashford/ Martial sharing games on the left and Mkhi on the right of Lukaku. Think we need another out and out winger and not someone like James. With new DM Herrera and Pogba as the midfield trio.

Like Matic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just to clarify, the current situation with Lukaku is that a fee has been agreed between the clubs and nothing more?

• Advertisement

Like Matic

I'd prefer Fabinho but yeah

I don't think a Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Rashford/Martial combo of 3 is gonna score the goals required to win the league. I think the addition of Lukaku alone should mean that United shouldn't have to worry about finishing top 4, but it's another thing again to be top of the pops. You need that attacking quality in your team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the current situation with Lukaku is that a fee has been agreed between the clubs and nothing more?

Correct

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What's the gamble?

Can Mourinho turn him into another Drogba and get him to play against the bigger teams the same way he does against the rest. Unproven in Europe too, which for £90m or whatever it is, is a gamble.

• Can Mourinho turn him into another Drogba and get him to play against the bigger teams the same way he does against the rest. Unproven in Europe too, which for £90m or whatever it is, is a gamble.

Again this is a myth, pull up the stats (SSN had them yesterday and are still decent)

In a side considered midtable he bagged 25+ a season

Simply put with a much better team in Utd he will flourish

Anyway winning leagues is all about hammering the weaker sides, something we have been struggling with last season with poor results at home to bottom sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Can Mourinho turn him into another Drogba and get him to play against the bigger teams the same way he does against the rest. Unproven in Europe too, which for £90m or whatever it is, is a gamble.

Scored more goals in league against top six teams last year then any of augero, kane, Costa, Zlatan i dont get this idea at all.

Agreed unproven in Europe but that's not really his fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Again this is a myth, pull up the stats (SSN had them yesterday and are still decent)

Anyway winning leagues is all about hammering the weaker sides, something we have been struggling with last season with poor results at home to bottom sides

Sky robbed them off me I did the research and they used me as a sky source the cheek.

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Bit of a cod really calling it a £100 Million transfer.I doubt the full £15 Million worth of add ons will ever be paid and Rooney was never moving for a transfer fee

The guardian describes the add-ons as "easily attainable add-ons linked to achievements and appearances". Presumably CL qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Apparently Madrid have bought Dani Ceballos for 18 million, received player of the tournament at the recent u-21 european championship. It's a steal in this day and age. As a Betis fan I'm sickened but it was bound to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I don't think a Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, Rashford/Martial combo of 3 is gonna score the goals required to win the league. I think the addition of Lukaku alone should mean that United shouldn't have to worry about finishing top 4, but it's another thing again to be top of the pops. You need that attacking quality in your team.

As things stand lukaku is just replacing what Ibra offered them last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Wait... you finished 1 place above them in the league last year

• Advertisement
Advertisement