Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Christ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Has he offers?

Stoke reported to have rejected a £15 million bid from West Ham for him (Arnautovic)before he handed in the transfer request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The same article says Everton want £50m for Barkley. This is just gone mad, surely this isn't sustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

GavRedKing wrote:
    Arnautovic apparently had interest from AC Milan at the start of the window, whether it was any real interest or not is another question.

If Milan bought everyone they were "interested in" they'd quickly run out of 2 digit squad numbers.
    Arnautovic reminds me of Tadic when you see him somedays you think why isn't he somewhere better but I imagine their fans know why he isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You'd wonder. If Everton picked up Sigurdsson, I'd say their strongest midfield is:

Schneiderlin--Gueye
    Klassen-Sigurdsson-Bolasie

Now they'll have quite a few games to play next season so there'll be rotation in there but it is hard to see where everyone fits. Is Rooney going to be up top or in the midfield? Are Everton still chasing Giroud as reported in some of the papers? Leaving out Bolasie for Barkley makes sense but does that not leave a midfield desperately short on pace?

No doubt that Everton are a better proposition overall after these signings but I just don't see where everyone fits yet. Id expect a departure or two and I could imagine Barkley to Spurs could be one of those.
    Sandro Ramirez has to fit on there somewhere too and Rooney. They've also got some good kids like Davies, Lookman and Calvert-Lewin. They have quite a serious looking squad now too.

It's looking like Rooney will play up front for them unless they bring in another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

ERG89 wrote: »
    If Milan bought everyone they were "interested in" they'd quickly run out of 2 digit squad numbers.
    Arnautovic reminds me of Tadic when you see him somedays you think why isn't he somewhere better but I imagine their fans know why he isn't

Theyve bought a decent amount of players already TBF to them but I cant see Arnautovic going there. I'd say thats a pipe dream of his or his agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

martyos121 wrote: »
    Olivier Ntcham looks like he's off to Celtic for £4.5m. He looked alright at Genoa last season (on loan from Man City) but they didn't exercise their option to buy him. It's a shrewd signing for Celtic if it goes through, he's still very young and he's already a solid midfielder.

For all his detractors, and I've been one of them, Rodgers is no idiot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Celtic get through the CL group stages, and maybe even get further.

I wouldn't be surprised if they didnt make the CL. SPL has fallen so far back, Rangers and St.Johnstone getting knocked out by teams from Latvia and Luxembourg shows how easy the league is for them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

SlickRic wrote: »
    For all his detractors, and I've been one of them, Rodgers is no idiot. I wouldn't be surprised to see Celtic get through the CL group stages, and maybe even get further.

Celtic's problem is that they'll probably be in Pot 4, though they're certainly due some luck in the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Id take arnautovic over barkley all day long for half the price.

Unfair to say his attitude is bad over the past couple of years. Hes been stokes and austrias best player.

Yes he has a moan at the ref and teammates but he never stops having a go and trying to make things happen.
    Doesn't go missing anymore and has definitely matured into a quality player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Swansea can do as they please.

The cost of their subsequent relegation is the value of Sigurdsson to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭pmurphy00

Gbear wrote: »

this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Gbear wrote: »

This is the truly unsustainable thing. Players are being overvalued relative to their contracts amd are getting stuck. Not necessarily a problem for somebody like Sigurdsson who will play all the time, but when players like Morata and Barkley etc are being valued miles outside of their contract worth and are not guaranteed game time, it genuinely would not surprise me to see a court case Bosman style crop up at some stage.

Not sure whether they would have a case, but it seems off that in a career where you have a short shelf life, you can be consigned to the bench and valued 5 times the worth of your contract so you can never leave.

Looking like it's definitely bye bye Diego as Chelsea grant him more time off.They are reported to be bidding £70 million for Morata.

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/884467256167731204

• Advertisement

This is the truly unsustainable thing. Players are being overvalued relative to their contracts amd are getting stuck. Not necessarily a problem for somebody like Sigurdsson who will play all the time, but when players like Morata and Barkley etc are being valued miles outside of their contract worth and are not guaranteed game time, it genuinely would not surprise me to see a court case Bosman style crop up at some stage.

Not sure whether they would have a case, but it seems off that in a career where you have a short shelf life, you can be consigned to the bench and valued 5 times the worth of your contract so you can never leave.

Maybe the EPL need to introduce buyout clauses into player contracts? Personally dont understand why more clubs dont trade players like other sports, you want Siggy then give us Barkley or An Other plus cash.

Maybe the EPL need to introduce buyout clauses into player contracts? Personally dont understand why more clubs dont trade players like other sports, you want Siggy then give us Barkley or An Other plus cash.

Buyout clauses are usually huge and work in the same way as overvaluing a player. But there needs to be a balance to make the dynamic between player and club fair.

As it is, if mid level clubs are able to have a player sit on 80k a week on the bench and not seel unless they get a value hugely above the value of the player's contract, then something has gone awry.

Funnily enough, bigger wages for the players would help to achieve that balance, which I am sure would go down well everywhere :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Diego Costa situation really amazes me. The man has 52 goals in 89 league appearances for them. He looked great last season and now he is out in the cold. I just don't understand how things get like that in a successful team.

I understand that players can be difficult sometimes and managers too but surely you can work your way around it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Is Aubameyang a cert for China? Cannot believe Chelsea would ditch Costa and replace him with someone like Morata for that much money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Burial. wrote: »
    Is Aubameyang a cert for China? Cannot believe Chelsea would ditch Costa and replace him with someone like Morata for that much money.

No.

They now have the 100% tax on foreign players in China so that will stop big signings going forward I would imagine.

If a player costs 60m then 60m must also be paid in tax to the league is what what I take it as.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Aubameyang is linked to Milan (of course!) as well as Chelsea and China.

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Diego Costa situation really amazes me. The man has 52 goals in 89 league appearances for them. He looked great last season and now he is out in the cold. I just don't understand how things get like that in a successful team.

I understand that players can be difficult sometimes and managers too but surely you can work your way around it.

He looked great for half the season, as per usual.

He still popped up with the odd goal in the second half, but he's just a nightmare to manage and is unhappy in England.

He does put in the work though, must run twice as much as most forwards. (3x more then Lukaku :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lukaku scored 51 in 85 over the same two seasons that Costa was running around fouling people. He's done alright for a lazy lad.

Arsenal reported as saying Sanchez fee will be £90 million minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They're in absolutely no position to ask for that much. He'll go for free in 12 months and by most accounts he doesn't even want to stay now, if Arsenal get an offer of anything around £45-50m they should jump all over that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Source ? like where did you see he didn't want to stay ? also in a time where Sigurdson is worth 50 million lol

Jayop wrote: »
    Lukaku scored 51 in 85 over the same two seasons that Costa was running around fouling people. He's done alright for a lazy lad.

Lot more energy to score goals when ya don't help the team press :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm interested to see how morata does if he does end up at Chelsea, lot of money for a guy who's never been first choice at any stage to date (granted he's only played for real and juve so it's a tough ask but still) quality player but will he get you them 25+ goals a season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Dunno why people in this thread are getting angry at clubs valuing their players highly. Maybe they don't actually want to sell them? They're not obliged to just cave in when a bigger club comes calling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Lukker- wrote: »
    Lot more energy to score goals when ya don't help the team press :p

I'd rather my striker puts it in the net and doesn't get himself sent off. Chasing down fullbacks is nice and all, but it's very much secondary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Gavlor wrote: »

Wonder what cash money they are looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

sugarman wrote: »
    martyos121 wrote: »
    They're in absolutely no position to ask for that much. He'll go for free in 12 months and by most accounts he doesn't even want to stay now, if Arsenal get an offer of anything around £45-50m they should jump all over that.

Why?

I mean having a player of Sanchez quality in the team, even for the next 12 months and letting him go for free has to be worth that kind of money if hes getting a return of 20+ goals (24 last season) and provides a fair few assists, already knows the team manager, tactics etc..

Who would you replace him with for similar money that can come in and guarantee that?

And its not like they need the money either.

It's a risk though. Sanchez has always seemed professional but a player in their last year of a contract who wants to leave might just not bother too much. He can talk to clubs in January and if we're honest his agent will be talking to them a lot sooner than that.

If the player is determined to leave I would gladly take the money from a foreign club if I am Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

It's a risk though. Sanchez has always seemed professional but a player in their last year of a contract who wants to leave might just not bother too much. He can talk to clubs in January and if we're honest his agent will be talking to them a lot sooner than that.

If the player is determined to leave I would gladly take the money from a foreign club if I am Arsenal.

If Sanchez indicates that he was determined to leave next season, then absolutely. £40-50m from a foreign club is a good offer. Just not as attractive to sell at that price to a PL team which is why a £90m pricetag doesn't surprise me

L'prof wrote:
    If Sanchez indicates that he was determined to leave next season, then absolutely. £40-50m from a foreign club is a good offer. Just not as attractive to sell at that price to a PL team which is why a £90m pricetag doesn't surprise me

No foreign club seems to be willing to pay that much. If his wage demands really are 400k p/w I wouldn't blame them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

ERG89 wrote: »
    No foreign club seems to be willing to pay that much. If his wage demands really are 400k p/w I wouldn't blame them.

I'd be happy enough to keep him for the season then. Hope he extends obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

The fact its a world cup year will keep Sanchez focused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The fact its a world cup year will keep Sanchez focused.

That only matters to players who might not be an automatic for their country or a guy trying o force their way into the squad, Sanchez, unless he gets injured, will be starting for Chile in the WC, even if he spends the next 12 months on Arsenals bench.

• Advertisement

Keep reading this and wondering are we talking about the same Sanchez? He'd give it 100% if he was playing 5 a side against 8 year olds.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    That only matters to players who might not be an automatic for their country or a guy trying o force their way into the squad, Sanchez, unless he gets injured, will be starting for Chile in the WC, even if he spends the next 12 months on Arsenals bench.

They have an outside chance of winning it. Sanchez would be jeopardising his countries chance by sitting on the arsenal bench and sulking for the year. I just can't see that happening myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

They have an outside chance of winning it. Sanchez would be jeopardising his countries chance by sitting on the arsenal bench and sulking for the year. I just can't see that happening myself.

Eduardo Vargas hardly plays any club football in recent years but still is nr 1 choice in central attack for Chile. |And doing very well so.
    Sanchez 1 year on the bench... i actually think the Chilean manager might not be too much against that idea. Well, maybe just the last 6 months of his contract then.
    A well rested Sanchez who has not had a free summer since joining Arsenal could be a bonus for Chile

AdamD wrote: »
    Dunno why people in this thread are getting angry at clubs valuing their players highly. Maybe they don't actually want to sell them? They're not obliged to just cave in when a bigger club comes calling.

If this refers to my post, at no point did I talk about clubs selling their players when bigger clubs come calling.

I'm not talking about Ronaldo, or Hazard or Sanchez or whatever, it's the mid level players who might be looking at the bench for most of the year because the club is awash with money and can buy better than them whilst keeping them as a backup for a few years.

Previously, the balance between player wages and a club's financial situation meant that letting go of mid range players who will no longer play much of a part was pretty much okay and it worked out best for both parties. If one club came in and offered a good price for a bench player, they would generally have conversations. Now one party has a lot more power in the dynamic and that is very rarely fair in a contract scenario.

Nobody is saying that clubs should sell their best players for a normal value the minute a big club comes in. What I am saying is that an after effect of this sudden windfall for clubs is that bench level or unwanted players are getting stuck at clubs with very few options to make a move.

inforfun wrote: »
    Eduardo Vargas hardly plays any club football in recent years but still is nr 1 choice in central attack for Chile. |And doing very well so.
    Sanchez 1 year on the bench... i actually think the Chilean manager might not be too much against that idea. Well, maybe just the last 6 months of his contract then.
    A well rested Sanchez who has not had a free summer since joining Arsenal could be a bonus for Chile

Football doesn't work like that you can train all you want but you need to be match fit to be at your best.

• Advertisement

James Rodriguez to Bayern Munich?

To replace the Juve bound Douglas Costa.
    I know signing Robben from Real worked when they wanted him out but I'm not so sure about Rodriguez.
    If Real can get Danilo & Morata out the door too they'll have enough for Mbappe or someone of that standard.
    Football doesn't work like that you can train all you want but you need to be match fit to be at your best.

Only really worked for Ronaldo in 2002 but he was a far better player than Sanchez ever will be.

If this refers to my post, at no point did I talk about clubs selling their players when bigger clubs come calling.

I'm not talking about Ronaldo, or Hazard or Sanchez or whatever, it's the mid level players who might be looking at the bench for most of the year because the club is awash with money and can buy better than them whilst keeping them as a backup for a few years.

Previously, the balance between player wages and a club's financial situation meant that letting go of mid range players who will no longer play much of a part was pretty much okay and it worked out best for both parties. If one club came in and offered a good price for a bench player, they would generally have conversations. Now one party has a lot more power in the dynamic and that is very rarely fair in a contract scenario.

Nobody is saying that clubs should sell their best players for a normal value the minute a big club comes in. What I am saying is that an after effect of this sudden windfall for clubs is that bench level or unwanted players are getting stuck at clubs with very few options to make a move.
    Except this isn't actually the case at all and your example to justify it is Ross Barkley who isn't stuck on the bench...hes played 36 and 38 PL games in the last 2 seasons. Its pretty much widely recognised that players have more power than ever. Even going back to Barkley, hes able to leave on a bosman next summer..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I love the way fans of other clubs are so shocked at the audacity of the club slapping a big massive price tag on one of Arsenal's most prized assets. They shouldn't sell him for all the tea in china to a rival club if you ask me. Unless China come along and offer all the tea and china then maybe.

I suppose it does come a surprise and is met with suspicion even among the club's own fanbase that we might actually show a resolve and not sell our best player to a rival as we have done so in the past. Except it's different now. Since the season ended Arsenal have put paid to a lot of the old cliches. The club are shaking it up both on and off the field. New additions to the backroom staff including a new fitness coach, trying out different formations, getting business done early, spending money on 'top quality', having several different targets and not putting all our money on the red in Monte Carlo, telling the leeches in Barcelona and Man City. to go do one after being taken for fools in years past. Most importantly, adapting. At the end of the day it comes down to performances on the field over the course of a season, but it is a promising start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

If he wants out then he will go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

If he wants out then he will go.

To where... Man City? No he won't unless the club want to actively commit harakiri and create a toxic atmosphere before the season even begins.
    He's got a contract. Wenger has stated that he will not be going to a rival. If he wishes to leave on a free next season to them then so be it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement