Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,995 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Well the players he gets in this season, he will have to bleed them all in, basically a whole back line and even the players he worked with this year going to need more help, I could understand why he would need time and if he does implement it, it will be a worth while effort.

He could have the Juventus defence and he would still leak goals he cannot organise a defence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Well the players he gets in this season, he will have to bleed them all in, basically a whole back line and even the players he worked with this year going to need more help, I could understand why he would need time and if he does implement it, it will be a worth while effort.

I guess we disagree then, you could use that as a excuse for years needing to blend players into the squad. If you spend 500 Million I dont think time should be given if the results arent coming. Pep needs either the PL or CL next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

irishman86 wrote: »
    I guess we disagree then, you could use that as a excuse for years needing to blend players into the squad. If you spend 500 Million I dont think time should be given if the results arent coming. Pep needs either the PL or CL next season

I'm not saying years just at least 2 seasons, I wouldn't call for his head if no Title next season as long as it coming together, unless there's a complete melt down alla Chelsea to 10th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Burial. wrote: »
    Does put to bed the whole Morata + cash for De Gea.
    When's the last time a deal like that actually happened? Every transfer window I roll my eyes whenever I see a swap deal rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

ShaneU wrote: »
    When's the last time a deal like that actually happened? Every transfer window I roll my eyes whenever I see a swap deal rumour.

You're right but 2 years ago United accepted a deal with money and Navas for De Gea so it's not overly ridiculous when you're talking about a deal between these 2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sky Sports News HQ ✔ @SkySportsNewsHQ
    BREAKING: Sky sources report that Manchester United are in talks to sign Inter Milan winger Ivan Perisic. #SSNHQ
    11:09 PM - 27 May 2017
    651 651 Retweets 603 603 likes

Kaveh Solhekol ✔ @SkyKaveh
    Manchester United in talks to sign winger Ivan Perisic from Inter Milan. Fee about £36m. Both player and Inter keen on transfer.
    11:14 PM - 27 May 2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Perisic is a good player. 2 footed & very quick but I did think Man Utd would be signing someone better with the money they have.
    Still a big upgrade on Lingard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

MD1990 wrote: »
    Perisic is a good player. 2 footed & very quick but I did think Man Utd would be signing someone better with the money they have.

It would be a weird one alright, especially for fairly big money.

I'm not saying years just at least 2 seasons, I wouldn't call for his head if no Title next season as long as it coming together, unless there's a complete melt down alla Chelsea to 10th.

What would it take for you to consider it a failure, for me another season like this is a failure. Where they never looked like competing.
    If they come second next season and put up a challenge for the title with his football having advanced (As in fixed the defence)
    You are right I was a bit rash saying title or nothing, but if the club floats to another season like this, I can see him leaving

MD1990 wrote: »
    Still a big upgrade on Lingard.
    I am always underwhelmed by him, I was at the Lazio/Inter game and where Candreva looks amazing, Perisic put in another meh performance.
    I wouldnt say a big upgrade on Lingard tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I am always underwhelmed by him, I was at the Lazio/Inter game and where Candreva looks amazing, Perisic put in another meh performance.

Lingard is ****e though so a large amount of wingers would be a big upgrade on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Perisic is Inter's second best player, Candreva is their whipping boy.

Perisic is proper 2 footed player and very quick. He will be good signing but the price is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Disclaimer that I've maybe only seen Perisic play 5-10 times, but imo he's a definite upgrade on Lingaard who should be no more than a squad player if United want to get back to league challengers

35m sounds a little hefty but then again every fee does this day. I can see why Mourinho is going for him, a very hard worker with great physical attributes and the right mentality. Could be relied upon in the big CL games I feel

10 goals and 6 assists from 30 league starts last year is a good return.

A definite upgrade for United in an area they need much more quality, so if I were a United fan I'd be happy with that if it goes through

Morzadec wrote: »
    Disclaimer that I've maybe only seen Perisic play 5-10 times, but imo he's a definite upgrade on Lingaard who should be no more than a squad player if United want to get back to league challengers

35m sounds a little hefty but then again every fee does this day. I can see why Mourinho is going for him, a very hard worker with great physical attributes and the right mentality. Could be relied upon in the big CL games I feel

10 goals and 6 assists from 30 league starts last year is a good return.

A definite upgrade for United in an area they need much more quality, so if I were a United fan I'd be happy with that if it goes through

Lingard is squad player, apart from Mkhitaryan every attacker played more mins than Lingard in PL. Apart from Martial and Rooney, every attacker player more mins than Lingard in Europa league.

I agree with what you said about Perisic, he is proper winger and can provide some balance to the team.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Perisic is proper 2 footed player and very quick. He will be good signing but the price is too much.

"The price is too much" will be our motto this season. But the reality is that every club in the world knows we are rich and desperate so I'd expect to overpay, sadly.

Still, I trust Jose. If Perisic is who he wants , so be it. He won't be our only signing this summer so am willing to see what else happens :)

Lord TSC wrote: »
    "The price is too much" will be our motto this season. But the reality is that every club in the world knows we are rich and desperate so I'd expect to overpay, sadly.

Still, I trust Jose. If Perisic is who he wants , so be it. He won't be our only signing this summer so am willing to see what else happens :)

Yeah, I didn't mean we shouldn't sign him. Just that it's the only negative side to this deal.

But like all the years I will maintain my lines, "not my money, rather players on the field than in the bank account".

• Lord TSC wrote: »

Rich yes, desperate?? Eh no.
    Again this obsession with player price. If that's his valuation then expect to pay it.
    It's the age old excuse from rivals, "madness that Pogba cost 100 million" & 'not worth the money" as if they own shares and as if the transfer market hasn't changed over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I don't even think it's a massive overpayment, the guy is a proven top player.

30m is the going rate for a proven player of that quality, so 35m is not a silly fee by any means imo in today's market

• Morzadec wrote: »
    I don't even think it's a massive overpayment, the guy is a proven top player.

30m is the going rate for a proven player of that quality, so 35m is not a silly fee by any means imo in today's market
    I don't know much about Perisic but I'd trust Jose's judgement in identifying a player that suits the teams needs.
    It's not all about buying every bloody top player in world football and dumping them into the first 11. Needs to be some balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

What would it take for you to consider it a failure, for me another season like this is a failure. Where they never looked like competing.
    If they come second next season and put up a challenge for the title with his football having advanced (As in fixed the defence)
    You are right I was a bit rash saying title or nothing, but if the club floats to another season like this, I can see him leaving
    Don't think we'll have another season as disappointing as this past one has been. Bloody hope not anyway! It seems (judging by the players leaving so far) that the defence is in for a major overhaul. Stevie Wonder could see that that was our weak point last season.

• Advertisement

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Candreva is far better than Perisic
    As for second best player thats just not right, after Icardi its Handanovic
    Looking good in this poor Inter team isnt all that difficult

blueser wrote: »
    Don't think we'll have another season as disappointing as this past one has been. Bloody hope not anyway! It seems (judging by the players leaving so far) that the defence is in for a major overhaul. Stevie Wonder could see that that was our weak point last season.

Haha it did look better when Kompany came back, alas the chances of that continuing are well I dont need to tell a City fan.
    I think everyone has given him a bye this season like Jose at United, they had a lot of rebuilding to do.
    Next season they both need to challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Candreva is far better than Perisic
    As for second best player thats just not right, after Icardi its Handanovic
    Looking good in this poor Inter team isnt all that difficult
    Candreva might look glitzier but Perisic does a lot more work, he is more of a team player. Perisic is ideal for a Mourinho team as he wants his players to get back and dig in as well as be involved in attacks.

I see United fans constantly say that Lingard is not good enough and he probably isn't in the final third but he is similar to Perisic in that he digs in and works hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

https://twitter.com/City_Watch/status/868784731944570880

Absolutely batsh*t crazy. Not sure why City are after him considering Aguero and Jesus both will be there next season, and a substitute striker shouldn't cost that much, let alone shatter the 100m mark. Makes perfect sense for Madrid though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would actually be cheaper for City to buy AS Monaco at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

eagle eye wrote: »
    Candreva might look glitzier but Perisic does a lot more work, he is more of a team player. Perisic is ideal for a Mourinho team as he wants his players to get back and dig in as well as be involved in attacks.

I see United fans constantly say that Lingard is not good enough and he probably isn't in the final third but he is similar to Perisic in that he digs in and works hard.

This would be what I would believe Mourinho would be looking for. He likes Lingard because he's industrious and tactically strong, but somebody with a bit more consistency in the final third could nail down a wide spot for us. If we could just give Lingards legs to Juan Mata....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Financial Fair play ya'll

It would actually be cheaper for City to buy AS Monaco at this rate.

Honestly would. Mendy supposed to be announced Monday, Fabinho close to done. All rumours but yeah... Pep's had too much fun playing FM2017.

So basically Guardiola's approach is if you can't beat a team just buy all their players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Burial. wrote:
    Honestly would. Mendy supposed to be announced Monday, Fabinho close to done. All rumours but yeah... Pep's had too much fun playing FM2017.

Going to be awkward when Pep suggests buying Jardim in a consultant role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

So basically Guardiola's approach is if you can't beat a team just buy all their players.

The aura around him is utterly shattered for me at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

There's not many managers that are given effectively an unlimited budget, they'd all do FM mode on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

SlickRic wrote: »
    The aura around him is utterly shattered for me at this stage.

It depends on what you mean by aura. He's still an excellent manager in my eyes, which was my opinion before he joined city. I never bought into the ridiculous hyperbole peddled by people who view football through a very narrow and myopic lens. The beauty of football if that there are lots of ways to skin a cat, and the idea that Pep was coming over to teach the English heathens how to play the right way is ****ing hilarious in hindsight.

It depends on what you mean by aura. He's still an excellent manager in my eyes, which was my opinion before he joined city. I never bought into the ridiculous hyperbole peddled by people who view football through a very narrow and myopic lens. The beauty of football if that there are lots of ways to skin a cat, and the idea that Pep was coming over to teach the English heathens how to play the right way is ****ing hilarious in hindsight.

I think he's a much better coach than manager.His tactics and game time decisions at times have been baffling both at City and with Bayern before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I suppose Mbappe to City will most likely mean Aguero will leave in the next year.I think he would struggle to get into Real or City teams at the moment.
    Benzema and Aguero are both better players than him but both clubs are buying for the future.He would get plenty of games this season without being expected to carry the attack ,also with a season to settle in.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    Exactly, bizarre stuff... with Aguero and Jesus there, you'd think theyd just hang onto Iheanacho and be done with it.

Thats 3 top players, proven to score goals when given the chance.

Iheanacho supposedly going to West Ham for twenty odd million with buy back clause. Completely bonkers decision as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Burial. wrote: »
    Iheanacho supposedly going to West Ham for twenty odd million with buy back clause. Completely bonkers decision as well.

Sales with buy-back clauses make complete sense and I think we will see a lot more of them in the future.

In Iheanachos case If he flops or turns out not to be that great after all City make approx 25 million. If he succeeds City buy back a top class developed young player for an extremely cheap price.

If he stayed he would face another year with limited opportunities. There isn't even reserve football for him as City play their u19's in the u23 reserve league.

An option is to go on loan, but far more loans fail than succeed. Look at Zinchenko at PSV who got hardly any minutes despite doing well when played. Or Roberts at Celtic where Forrest was preferred for periods. Clubs would rather develop their own than develop a loaned youngster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

yabadabado wrote: »
    I suppose Mbappe to City will most likely mean Aguero will leave in the next year.I think he would struggle to get into Real or City teams at the moment.
    Benzema and Aguero are both better players than him but both clubs are buying for the future.He would get plenty of games this season without being expected to carry the attack ,also with a season to settle in.
    Can't see us getting Mbappe. Isn't the lad supposed to be a big Real fan? If that's the case, and Real want him, he'll end up there.

blueser wrote: »
    Can't see us getting Mbappe. Isn't the lad supposed to be a big Real fan? If that's the case, and Real want him, he'll end up there.

He's idol is Zidane aswell, can't see us getting him. Sanchez will be a good buy and versatile player and Pep will love his attitude.

eagle eye wrote: »

I dont think youve watched much of Candreva he does all that. I will say Perisic is hard working but Candreva has been a wing back for a decent part of his career and definitely a team player
    I would easily take him over Perisic as the only thing I would personally say Perisic is better at is in aerial terms

• Advertisement

He's idol is Zidane aswell, can't see us getting him.

Really?
    When Zidane retired he was 7. Another one of those stats that makes me feel old now

I dont think youve watched much of Candreva he does all that. I will say Perisic is hard working but Candreva has been a wing back for a decent part of his career and definitely a team player
    I would easily take him over Perisic as the only thing I would personally say Perisic is better at is in aerial terms

Candreva is 2 years older ,so I can see why Perisic would be the one who is in demand.Perisic is probably around his peak now.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Really?
    When Zidane retired he was 7. Another one of those stats that makes me feel old now

"The one who made me love football was Zidane. Afterwards I developed several idols but really Zidane was my very first idol".
    http://www.eurosport.com/football/ligue-1/2016-2017/kylian-mbappe-zinedine-zidane-made-me-love-football_sto6183225/story.shtml

yabadabado wrote: »
    Candreva is 2 years older ,so I can see why Perisic would be the one who is in demand.Perisic is probably around his peak now.

Oh I wasnt saying sign Candreva, he got his "big" move last season to Inter
    More how I think hes a better player, I wish he had followed Conte to Chelsea last year

Spot on. I can't add anything to this.

City in advanced talks to buy Ederson for £45m it seems.

SlickRic wrote:
    City in advanced talks to buy Ederson for £45m it seems.

.....who?
    The guy that was at Lazio & Lyon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,976 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

SlickRic wrote: »
    Spot on. I can't add anything to this.
    I'm very surprised you agree because your previous post sounded like you didn't rate him at all.

I don't remember you ever being a fan of the man in any way. You always seemed to look at any mistakes he made and highlight them.

ERG89 wrote: »
    .....who?
    The guy that was at Lazio & Lyon?

Benfica keeper.

Can posters post links to transfers?
    Just so we can see how legit they are for our self's.

• Advertisement
Advertisement