Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Jayop wrote: »
    That Luis sale was from Chelsea to PSG.

Yep. With a cut price buy back of €35m. Handy €15m profit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Yeah and he's looked OK last season although I do go along with the theory that he looks good because of the players either side of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Chelsea have been beyond cute in their dealings of late. They were throwing around money like it was going out of fashion 15 odd years ago, but even then it was rarely insane money, just more a case of buying lots of middle money type players.

I'm sure they would happily go well over that Torres money this summer though if the right player is available to them.

Because he's never in a month of Sundays going to be a 50m center half. It was crazy money. If it was a list of players who went for sensible money then he wouldn't be included. Di Maria was only at United for one season too.

He only just turned 23 (May) he easy has 10 years ahead of him, crazy to throw him under the bus.
    You can class Di Maria at United because he actually did fail, not because it was only one season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Don't think it has been mentioned but Lyon have told Spurs to piss off after they were approached about Rafael.

He only just turned 23 (May) he easy has 10 years ahead of him, crazy to throw him under the bus.

I'm not throwing him under the bus. I'm just saying have a look at the company he's in in that list of 50 players. There's only a handful of defenders and he's never going to be at the level of a Rio who looked like good value 10 years later. Luiz is the same, a scandal that he's in the list.

Defenders don't tend to go for top 10 transfer fee of all time prices. If they do they should be potential greats or already great. Stones is neither.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I'm not throwing him under the bus. I'm just saying have a look at the company he's in in that list of 50 players. There's only a handful of defenders and he's never going to be at the level of a Rio who looked like good value 10 years later. Luiz is the same, a scandal that he's in the list.

Defenders don't tend to go for top 10 transfer fee of all time prices. If they do they should be potential greats or already great. Stones is neither.

In a couple of years(probably even now) time 50m will be goin rate for bog standard centre half. Vvd at 50-70 shows you where we are going. Stonew will be nowhere near top ten in two seasons.

POKERKING wrote: »
    In a couple of years(probably even now) time 50m will be goin rate for bog standard centre half. Vvd at 50-70 shows you where we are going. Stonew will be nowhere near top ten in two seasons.

The point I was making was he was top ten at the time of the deal. Rio Ferdinand would have been top 10 at that time and I'd consider those to be equitable fee's considering the inflation in the market. Stones doesn't have the potential Rio had and nor was he as good at the time.

Look, it's my personal opinion but I think for that money he's a terrible buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Nice you can look in your crystal ball and see these things, perhaps wait and see over time before giving him no chance. It's your opinion bit you could be wrong.

Nice you can look in your crystal ball and see these things, perhaps wait and see over time before giving him no chance. It's your opinion bit you could be wrong.

Of course I could be wrong. I'm always bloody wrong man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

was that not some sort of FFP/money laundering scam? I thought there was some questions about how above board that transfer was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Moist Bread

Football fans are the worst sort of nerds.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/885553161896853505

Not just 50 Million, its 50 Million plus addons. We will see some interesting add ons in the next few days. Some spurs fans said it will go upto 60 Million with addons, not sure where he got that from.

If it goes to 60m then Walker will become the 8th most expensive player in history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

50m is a great price for walker, I'm a fan of pep but I doubt even he can coach braindead Kyle how to cross the ball or have any end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

If it goes to 60m then Walker will become the 8th most expensive player in history.

Thats just a position he will never deserve.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Well, he had a pretty successful spell as manager of Barca B. He brought Busquets and Pedro straight up to the first team with him and also gave quite a few players their first chances in the team.

Pique was signed having played fewer than 50 first team games in his career, the bulk coming at Zaragoza a season previously so not exactly the finished article.

Joshua Kimmich joined Bayern having never played top flight football. Started as a DM and is now a regular right back, pretty sure that counts as development.

Was Thiago Alcantara another? Came through under Pep at Barca and linked up with him at Bayern and progressed.

Kimmich was a budding superstar as was Pique you could say good signings but they arent Pep developed players to say so is stretching the facts in the same way people try claim he made Iniesta/Puyols/Xavi
    Players Pep brought into the squad are like you said Busquets/Pedro/Thiago and Im nearly certain Valdes.
    Yes he gave a lot of players debuts such as the world class talents of Dos Santos :pac: but his Barcelona team were champions league winners only a few seasons earlier.
    What he did was implement a system, that is where he made the difference, he had a great system for his players led by Messi.
    At Bayern he signed superstars, not a fault against him but once again it was his system that he was brought on board for not his ability to bring young players through which Bayern have done for years.
    City I see as Peps personal attempt to create a Pep team, you see it with the players hes signing young but with superstar potential.
    eg. Jesus, Stones etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Spurs fan here. Far from from gutted about Walker. He has given Spurs great service for years but he was always a player I watched from behind the sofa. In fairness he appeared to have largely cut out the brain farts in the last year or so but Trippier emerged as just a better footballer.

If you are financed by sheiks or dodgy Russians you can afford to have two Internationals for the same position and keep them happy with wheelbarrows of shekels or roubles but teams like Spurs just can't afford either the cash or the poison to team spirit that having unhappy players on the bench that(A) could get a game with other CL teams and (B) could triple their pay packets. Sure they always say they welcome the competition and they are best friends. If you believe that I have a bridge in London for sale if you are interested.

Walker is 27, probably 2nd choice next year and not worth a hat of crabs In four or five years. Sell him for about 10% of the cost of the stadium that will still be there for the next 30-50 years? In a heartbeat. Great bit of business that helps to ensure the club is sustainable. (Despite all the nonsense above that fees and wages can just keep going up and up exponentially).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Good signing, Walker will add a lot to Guardiola's City.

Speaking of right backs, Ernesto Valverde is making his presence felt at Barcelona. Bartomeu's board and sporting director wanted Bellerin, Valverde advised instead on signing Semedo. Nelson Semedo is incoming at €35 million and €5 million add ons. Great deal, great prospect, great managerial intervention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This new TV deal makes little or no difference to the majority of English teams they are all just having to spend the extra money they get on ridiculous transfer fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Mcgeady gone to Sunderland. Happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

First time a brazilian has built one tenth of an english football stadium without raising a finger.

Dani Alves we salute you!

Good signing, Walker will add a lot to Guardiola's City.

Speaking of right backs, Ernesto Valverde is making his presence felt at Barcelona. Bartomeu's board and sporting director wanted Bellerin, Valverde advised instead on signing Semedo. Nelson Semedo is incoming at €35 million and €5 million add ons. Great deal, great prospect, great managerial intervention.

I agree with you about Walker a poor mans Dani Alves (Not current Alves, Sevilla Alves) will suit Pep down to the ground
    I hope to be proven wrong about Valverde, I see him failing at Barcelona, for me a yes man, this signing proves nothing more than Bellerin not wanting the move or wanting to force the move, if Cesc hadnt moved to Barca back in the day there is no doubt that Bellerin would have made the move this summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

pjohnson wrote: »

Amazing. Stuart Taylor is still a pro footballer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Spurs fan here. Far from from gutted about Walker. He has given Spurs great service for years but he was always a player I watched from behind the sofa. In fairness he appeared to have largely cut out the brain farts in the last year or so but Trippier emerged as just a better footballer.

If you are financed by sheiks or dodgy Russians you can afford to have two Internationals for the same position and keep them happy with wheelbarrows of shekels or roubles but teams like Spurs just can't afford either the cash or the poison to team spirit that having unhappy players on the bench that(A) could get a game with other CL teams and (B) could triple their pay packets. Sure they always say they welcome the competition and they are best friends. If you believe that I have a bridge in London for sale if you are interested.

Walker is 27, probably 2nd choice next year and not worth a hat of crabs In four or five years. Sell him for about 10% of the cost of the stadium that will still be there for the next 30-50 years? In a heartbeat. Great bit of business that helps to ensure the club is sustainable. (Despite all the nonsense above that fees and wages can just keep going up and up exponentially).

Probably made the move for the chance of actually winning something cant blame a lad for having a bit of ambition

JPA wrote: »

Im glad I wasnt the only one who was actually shocked by the signing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Lucas Biglia going to Milan for 17m euros. Montella is only a few players short of a brand new team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

JPA wrote: »

His whole career and lack of willingness to play is kindof embarrassing to be honest.

Don't blame him for taking the easy life and sitting on the bench (or worse) for decent money but you'd like to think that someone who actually has a league winners medal would have some sort of real love for playing the game and want to play a few matches during his career.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

ERG89 wrote: »
    Lucas Biglia going to Milan for 17m euros. Montella is only a few players short of a brand new team.

I'd expect Suso, Niang, Bacca, Bertolacci, Zapata, Palleta, De Sigilio and a few others to be on the way out the door before the end of the month as well.

If they get Biglia and Bonucci I think they'll have a very strong side next season.

irishman86 wrote: »
    I agree with you about Walker a poor mans Dani Alves (Not current Alves, Sevilla Alves) will suit Pep down to the ground
    I hope to be proven wrong about Valverde, I see him failing at Barcelona, for me a yes man, this signing proves nothing more than Bellerin not wanting the move or wanting to force the move, if Cesc hadnt moved to Barca back in the day there is no doubt that Bellerin would have made the move this summer

That could be entirely true. Could be that Valverde insisted on Semedo over Bellerin. Either way, we'll see how Valverde does as head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Jeekers. Everton paying £50m for Sigurdsson. Is all gone crazy. I must be worth £200 in today's market surely!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Semedo's pace is seriously impressive. I'm looking forward to seeing how he does at Barcelona.

Right-backs seem to be highly coveted at the minute. It makes you wonder what Seamus Coleman's options would have been had he not suffered that awful injury. He might have been linked with a good few clubs. Having said that, Everton looks a good place to be right now.

https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/885620011712352260

Arsenal have contacted Chelsea about swapping Oxelaide Chamberlain for Matic.

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DiMarzio/status/885620011712352260

Arsenal have contacted Chelsea about swapping Oxelaide Chamberlain for Matic.

Do it! Do it now!!

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/885606650752663552

Juventus about to sell Bonucci - arguably best centre back in the world - to AC Milan for £35m

They'd ask an English club for £55 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SkyKaveh/status/885606650752663552

Juventus about to sell Bonucci - arguably best centre back in the world - to AC Milan for £35m

They'd ask an English club for £55 million.

Don't think he would go to an English club in fairness. It's being reported that his wife doesn't want to leave Italy and he grew up in Milan I think (he started out with Inter)so it makes sense. He doesn't get on with Allegri as well so that might be why the fee is low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Crazy bargin for Bonucci for 35 mil in this market !!!!.

Where john Stones is worth 50 !!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

astradave wrote: »
    Don't think he would go to an English club in fairness. It's being reported that his wife doesn't want to leave Italy and he grew up in Milan I think (he started out with Inter)so it makes sense. He doesn't get on with Allegri as well so that might be why the fee is low

Mostly because one of his kids has cancer.
    Tried to play out Milan and Juve by laying down Milans offer of €6,5 million per year on Juve's able, looking for more.
    Juve just told him to accept the Milan offer and go.

Apparently, Bonucci is a bit of a brat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Crazy bargin for Bonucci for 35 mil in this market !!!!.

Where john Stones is worth 50 !!!!!
    John Stones has the advantage of youth, whereas Bonucci is 30 now, so although he probably has many years left at the top, they are a lot less than Stones potentially has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Matias Nice Toenail

inforfun wrote: »
    Mostly because one of his kids has cancer.
    Tried to play out Milan and Juve by laying down Milans offer of €6,5 million per year on Juve's able, looking for more.
    Juve just told him to accept the Milan offer and go.

Apparently, Bonucci is a bit of a brat.

apparently Alves and him got into a fight with Allegri, Dybala and another player who slips my mind during half time in the champions league final and Bonnucci slapped Dybala

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

apparently Alves and him got into a fight with Allegri, Dybala and another player who slips my mind during half time in the champions league final and Bonnucci slapped Dybala

Barzagli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Nathaniel Chalobah leaves Chelsea and joins Watford for £5 million.

Never really got a look in at Chelsea, though was involved in 10 games last season and seemed highly rated by some.

Be interesting to see what he can do now if he gets regular football. For the price (especially in this market) it actually seems like a potentially decent deal, though damning for Chelsea who, according to ESPN, etc were reluctant to let him go.

I also missed Jack Cork moving to Burnley for £10m. He's a pretty decent player - they've got a few good options in that part of the pitch now and Im surprised Swansea let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Nathaniel Chalobah leaves Chelsea and joins Watford for £5 million.

Never really got a look in at Chelsea, though was involved in 10 games last season and seemed highly rated by some.

Be interesting to see what he can do now if he gets regular football. For the price (especially in this market) it actually seems like a potentially decent deal, though damning for Chelsea who, according to ESPN, etc were reluctant to let him go.

I also missed Jack Cork moving to Burnley for £10m. He's a pretty decent player - they've got a few good options in that part of the pitch now and Im surprised Swansea let him go.

Chalobah is good but not at the required level for Chelsea. At least not for the foreseeable. Don't get me wrong, he's a very talented player but he was on the last year of his contract and didn't want to sign a new one, moving is best for all parties.

For a CM he is lacking defensively, doesn't get up and down the pitch enough to suit any role he'd play at Chelsea. He's a bit of a luxury for a top team, he has a good passing range and very good awareness for what is happening around him, but he's not going to open up teams with a ball in behind. For the amount of development and attention he needs he's better off at Watford. I would have gladly kept him if he wanted to sign a new contract, but I believe he'd prob get a similar enough amount of cameo appearances as last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ake, Solanke, Chalobah and likely Zouma this summer and no doubt Abraham, Loftus-Cheek next summer

Ake, Solanke, Chalobah and likely Zouma this summer and no doubt Abraham, Loftus-Cheek next summer

Zouma will be loaned. Solanke has refused to sign a contract for over a year and it has been known since before Christmas that he was in talks with Liverpool.

Regardless if they make it with Chelsea or not, there is a serious amount of graduates being loaned/sold to other PL teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

It's part of Chelsea a transfer strategy. Buy a load of young players. Loan them out to save wages. Sell them at a profit.

It's genius when it works. And it's been working very well for them.

It's part of Chelsea a transfer strategy. Buy a load of young players. Loan them out to save wages. Sell them at a profit.

It's genius when it works. And it's been working very well for them.

A good chunk of the players they've loaned/sold this season they didn't buy but are graduates from the academy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Abraham wont be sold at all. Hes just signed a 5 year contract.

While a lot of the players coming out of the academy are good, none of them have had a break out season like Abraham.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

I'm surprised some English clubs haven't tried hijack Milans Bonucci bid. At 35 mil he's a bargain, one of the best defenders in the world and at least 4 good season left in him. Id love to take him to Chelsea (not that we need him but with Conte in charge), but I'm surprised City haven't snapped him up considering their very shaky at the back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement