Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He was meant to go to PSG but wanted 200k a week, net.

If PSG are balking at that wage you can bet no other team is going to be able to pay him similar.

As a Chelsea fan Gav, do you think Chelsea might entertain his wage demands after missing out on Lukaku?

I doubt it myself

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    He was meant to go to PSG but wanted 200k a week, net.

If PSG are balking at that wage you can bet no other team is going to be able to pay him similar.

Mid day rant (deep breath)

The "sources" SSN have had this summer are all so far out.
    It must be the worst summer for them. None of it is breaking news. It's all pure and utter waffle.
    I would normally trust BBC & Sky when it comes to transfers but I'm seriously considering whipping Sky off that list

This morning apparently was 'Breaking news'

"Manchester United are close to agreeing a fee with Inter Milan for winger Ivan Perisic, according to Sky sources."

Then at lunch it's again 'Breaking News'

"Ivan Perisic has been included in Inter Milan's 28-man squad for their pre-season tour of China."

:rolleyes:

For me as Utd fan: What it is showing is how much Utd have improved in the transfer market as regards handling the media and the tightening up of information in regards to transfer leaks.
    Sky are now left twiddling the thumbs and end up bringing that twitter clown in nearly every day who spends his time drumming up nonsense to fill up an hour.

End rant :D

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

With all this Aguero talk what do yee lads think will happen ? It's clear pep doesn't want him in his plans but the owners are having none of him leaving yet I can't see himself being happy as a second choice or even further if Sanchez arrives even though he will play out wide. Interesting to see will Wenger stick to his guns and not sell to City too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

beakerjoe wrote: »
    As a Chelsea fan Gav, do you think Chelsea might entertain his wage demands after missing out on Lukaku?

I doubt it myself

Hazard is our highest paid player and hes on about 200k gross, apparently.

No way theyed fork out roughly double that on a 28 year old, even if we are between a rock and hard place for a CF.

• With all this Aguero talk what do yee lads think will happen ? It's clear pep doesn't want him in his plans but the owners are having none of him leaving yet I can't see himself being happy as a second choice or even further if Sanchez arrives even though he will play out wide. Interesting to see will Wenger stick to his guns and not sell to City too.

Didn't Pep come out at the end of last season and state he's going knowhere??
    Sell one of the best strikers in Europe, with 3 years on his contract? I doubt it.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Mid day rant (deep breath)

The "sources" SSN have had this summer are all so far out.
    It must be the worst summer for them. None of it is breaking news. It's all pure and utter waffle.
    I would normally trust BBC & Sky when it comes to transfers but I'm seriously considering whipping Sky off that list

This morning apparently was 'Breaking news'

"Manchester United are close to agreeing a fee with Inter Milan for winger Ivan Perisic, according to Sky sources."

Then at lunch it's again 'Breaking News'

"Ivan Perisic has been included in Inter Milan's 28-man squad for their pre-season tour of China."

:rolleyes:

For me as Utd fan: What it is showing is how much Utd have improved in the transfer market as regards handling the media and the tightening up of information in regards to transfer leaks.
    Sky are now left twiddling the thumbs and end up bringing that twitter clown in nearly every day who spends his time drumming up nonsense to fill up an hour.

End rant :D

I dont think any source is reliable but some have a better hit rate due to some insider sources themselves but you have to choose your filters wisely. Like if you believe the likes of Palmeri, Balague and Indykali, then you're f**ked. :o

Jim White is nothing but a parody, we'll get the usual deadline day BS in a few weeks and they'll big up a last minute loan move by WBA for some CF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Sky Sports Sources = Twitter

The channel is a joke and always will be..

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Didn't Pep come out at the end of last season and state he's going knowhere??
    Sell one of the best strikers in Europe, with 3 years on his contract? I doubt it.

I think the media are latching on to the sell to buy method.

Ageuro out and Sanchez in.

I do think Jesus will be first choice next year but the willingness by Pep to get rid of Iheanacho is strange and very short sighted, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

PSG triggered Neymar's 222million release clause wait what? :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Expect Neymar to sign a new contract with Barca in a week or so on the same money as Messi.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

In the strangest piece of transfer news this summer, Antonio Cassno just held a press conference with the Verona director of football to announce that he won't be retiring 8 days after signing for the club.

Never change Antonio, never change.

In the strangest piece of transfer news this summer, Antonio Cassno just held a press conference with the Verona director of football to announce that he won't be retiring 8 weeks after signing for the club.

Never change Antonio, never change.

Was it not 8 days ago? Not 8 weeks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Was it not 8 days ago? Not 8 weeks?

It was 8 days ago. I typo'd.

It was 8 days ago. I typo'd.

I dont know whats going on in his head, but Id be worried if I was a Verona fan.

Expect Neymar to sign a new contract with Barca in a week or so on the same money as Messi.

Barcas wage bill will be insane if they match Messi and Neymar.

As it is, its already one of the highest in football and thats with only about 5 players making up the largest percentage of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Taking the figures for all clubs from Transfer League. The accuracy might be a bit off but it's at least up to date.
    Team   Spent   Sold   Net
    City    133.7  20.4   113.3
    United  106    9.8    96.2
    Arsenal 52.7   2.00   50.7
    L'pool  37     2.00   35
    Chelsea 69     69.8  -0.8
    Everton 87.3   94.1  -6.8
    Spurs   0.00   63.8  -63.8

That's last years top 7 and includes any of the big movers in the window.

I didn't know that Spurs haven't bought anyone yet. I suppose they've only really lost one first teamer from last year and with that they've kept a very good squad together. You'd imagine though they'd dip into the market before it closes with that Walker money.

City the biggest spenders so far and they still have to add another full back at the very least so you'd imagine the net spend will be over 150m.

United are likely to add 2 more players and again their spending will be well over the 150 mark net by the end.

Mad to think Everton have spent nearly 90m and are still in the black.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I know we've not got massive money in, but the net figure ignores the fact we've shed Rooney and Ibrahimovic's wages, which are probably worth a fair chunk of change to us anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Robertson from hull to lfc looks a done deal for around 10 million pounds

Jayop wrote: »
    Taking the figures for all clubs from Transfer League. The accuracy might be a bit off but it's at least up to date.
    Team   Spent   Sold   Net
    City    133.7  20.4   113.3
    United  106    9.8    96.2
    Arsenal 52.7   2.00   50.7
    L'pool  37     2.00   35
    Chelsea 69     69.8  -0.8
    Everton 87.3   94.1  -6.8
    Spurs   0.00   63.8  -63.8

That's last years top 7 and includes any of the big movers in the window.

I didn't know that Spurs haven't bought anyone yet. I suppose they've only really lost one first teamer from last year and with that they've kept a very good squad together. You'd imagine though they'd dip into the market before it closes with that Walker money.

City the biggest spenders so far and they still have to add another full back at the very least so you'd imagine the net spend will be over 150m.

United are likely to add 2 more players and again their spending will be well over the 150 mark net by the end.

Mad to think Everton have spent nearly 90m and are still in the black.

I expect and hope Chelsea will sign a CF after selling Costa so we'll probably end up with about 100m net in the end.

A CF is the most important position right now and senior cover at WB would be nice but not all that important.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I expect and hope Chelsea will sign a CF after selling Costa so we'll probably end up with about 100m net in the end.

A CF is the most important position right now and senior cover at WB would be nice but not all that important.

How much are you expecting to get from Costa? Surely his sale will go a long way to covering a lot of the cost of a replacement.

How much are you expecting to get from Costa? Surely his sale will go a long way to covering a lot of the cost of a replacement.

26 million if reports are to be believed. Which is a mad figure considering others in this window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Neymar story has to be bullsh!t unless they add in Verratti or something it's a monstrous fee.
    Juventus have pulled out of the €25m deal for Schick. Think he'd be a good signing for someone. I'm more confused by Juve's business this summer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I know we've not got massive money in, but the net figure ignores the fact we've shed Rooney and Ibrahimovic's wages, which are probably worth a fair chunk of change to us anyway...

It also ignores the fact that Utd took in nearly £50m in January when Schneiderlan and Memphis left and that Schweinsteiger is also off the wage bill. Talking about net spend in a single transfer window is simply ridiculous. Especially when wages and amortisation are more important to a clubs finances than the headline transfer fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's **** all for Neymar at PSG.

Surely he's on a quarter of a million a week as it is? What difference does a few more bob make?

It's not like he can step out from behind Messi's shadow by moving to a Club like PSG, where he isn't likely to win anything significant.

It has to be about wrangling for a new contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Taking this from Reddit

I would first like to say that Marcelo Bechler is a very good journalist and the only non Spanish reporter who gets to ask questions at Barça's press conferences, and this was his report:

Neymar does not believe he can can be recognized as the world’s best player if he remains at Barcelona throughout Messi’s prime. There are no issues between the two players as he and Messi are good friends on and off the pitch, but Neymar believes his chances of winning the Ballon D’Or are much greater if he moves to PSG and leads the club to European success.

Neymar and Dani Alves are very good friends, and seeing the Barça legend move to Paris convinced Neymar to join him. Additionally, Neymar received guarantees from PSG that they will not sell Marco Verratti, who's been pushing for a move to Barcelona. The chance of leading a world class club playing along one of his best friends in a world cup year was too good to pass on.

Neymar recently renewed his contract with Barcelona and is earning €15 million annually. Though no figure was reported it is believed that the contract offered by PSG will increase his wages significantly, ultimately making him the highest paid player in football.

https://twitter.com/Esp_Interativo/status/887308634643976194
    edit:

Marcelo further blogs about it here, and will be featured today at 2:30pm to explain the details of the agreement between PSG and Neymar. In his blog he also mentions that:

Tensions between Neymar's father/agent grew due to the failed Lucas Lima deal, which elevated their desire for a move.

Dani Alves signing was a gift to Neymar.

Neymar likes the idea of playing with a team fill of Brasilians.

http://blogs.lance.com.br/marcelo-bechler/2017/07/18/os-detalhes-do-sim-de-neymar-ao-psg/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Gbear wrote: »
    There's **** all for Neymar at PSG.

Surely he's on a quarter of a million a week as it is? What difference does a few more bob make?

It's not like he can step out from behind Messi's shadow by moving to a Club like PSG, where he isn't likely to win anything significant.

It has to be about wrangling for a new contract.

No reason why a team like PSG couldn't win the champions league with him.If he were to lead them to that then it would be a huge statement of his greatness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

£23m for arnautovic that's sounds very high. Can be unplayable on a given day but that's very rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

rob316 wrote: »
    £23m for arnautovic that's sounds very high. Can be unplayable on a given day but that's very rare.

I don't think it's too bad considering this summers fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

eh i dunno wrote: »
    I don't think it's too bad considering this summers fees.

I know just trying to get used to average players going for nearly £25m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Lul he'd cost more only he's in the last year of his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Neymar does not believe he can can be recognized as the world’s best player if he remains at Barcelona throughout Messi’s prime. There are no issues between the two players as he and Messi are good friends on and off the pitch, but Neymar believes his chances of winning the Ballon D’Or are much greater if he moves to PSG and leads the club to European success.

Doesn't make any sense to me.
    Messi isn't in his prime any more, Neymar is 5 years younger and when he's in his prime Messi will be heading towards hanging up his boots (and I think he'll slow down more dramatically than Ronaldo, because of the physical condidtion Ronaldo is in).
    He's less likely to win the Balon d'Or at PSG in any case. They've less cachet.
    Neymar and Dani Alves are very good friends, and seeing the Barça legend move to Paris convinced Neymar to join him. Additionally, Neymar received guarantees from PSG that they will not sell Marco Verratti, who's been pushing for a move to Barcelona. The chance of leading a world class club playing along one of his best friends in a world cup year was too good to pass on.

1, 2 years together at most, surely?

Keeping Veratti against his will is hardly that much of a positive. It's precarious going forward, you have an unhappy player and what happens when Neymar wants to **** off to China in 4 years time? Will they do the same?
    Neymar recently renewed his contract with Barcelona and is earning €15 million annually. Though no figure was reported it is believed that the contract offered by PSG will increase his wages significantly, ultimately making him the highest paid player in football.

At that level, it#d be asinine to go over a wage increase. How many Ferraris do you need?
    Relatively, he has far more to gain by sticking around Barca from a footballing perspective than the value of another few million quid to someone who's already heading towards billionaire territory by the time he hangs up his boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No reason why a team like PSG couldn't win the champions league with him.If he were to lead them to that then it would be a huge statement of his greatness.

Exactly. Hit 60 goals and fire PSG to a shock champions league win and nobody will talk about the strength of the French league, they will just hand Neymar the ballon d'or.

I don't buy the argument of waiting another 3/4 years for Messi to stop being the leading light at Barcalona, why the hell would Neymar want to wait until he is 28/29 to be the main man when he could go somewhere else and do it now? Not to mention that 3/4 years is a long time, a lot could happen in 3/4 years, good and bad...

Exactly. Hit 60 goals and fire PSG to a shock champions league win and nobody will talk about the strength of the French league, they will just hand Neymar the ballon d'or.

I don't buy the argument of waiting another 3/4 years for Messi to stop being the leading light at Barcalona, why the hell would Neymar want to wait until he is 28/29 to be the main man when he could go somewhere else and do it now? Not to mention that 3/4 years is a long time, a lot could happen in 3/4 years, good and bad...

Agree. Doesn't matter what Neymar does at Barca he'll never have a legacy like Messi has there.Move to another team lead them to glory and he'd be the man at that club for life and there's something to be said for that rather than accepting just being one of the great players on the team.Much better to be Batman rather than Robin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Imagine Barcelona.... FC Barcelona(!!!!) selling the heir to Messi and Ronaldinho to PSG (!!!!!!). Can you really imagine that happening? Can you genuinely envision a reality in which Barcelona sell the next best player in the world and not sign anybody to replace him? Isn't that unfathomable?....Oh, wait....it isn't? Of course it isn't. The signs are all there, right in front of you. Neymar's new contract is nothing but a red flag fluttering in the breeze, just daring the bullish PSG to charge at it. That release clause, while a lot of money, is withing perfect reach of Paris. This board, incompetent as any in the club's history and lacking anything resembling a plan, let alone a vision, are more preoccupied by the allure of the colour green rather than silver. And I'd like to think it'll be ok, we'll go and sign Ousmane Dembele, Marco Verratti and maybe a big name striker and we'll be a better team because of it. The problem is that imagining this board actually improving Barcelona, even with that money at their disposal, is just too tough to imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

We live in a world where Kyle Walker costs 50 million pounds.

Anything is possible.

If Neymar is the next best player in the planet after Messi does that make him the third best?

Agree. Doesn't matter what Neymar does at Barca he'll never have a legacy like Messi has there.

No matter where he goes I doubt he will ever be viewed on the same level as Messi he's just not that consistent.
    This whole living in his shadow thing seems to be like something from Rocky than reality.
    II don't see how Messi is effecting his performance as he plays on the left regardless. I'm sure Barca would love him to step up to the occasion more often even with Messi there but he isn't reliable doing that.

As its been mentioned, mesmt to be 26m.

Hes got 2 years on his deal and leaking to press basically showed the world our hand. Costa only wants Atletico too so without the ability to keep it private and hopefully start a bidding war, chelsea will have to cut their losses and accept whatever we get for him at this stage. Theres no way back for Costa after his latest Instagram video in am Atletico top and youve Filipe Luis tagging him in a post about starting opre-season.

In better news weve nailed Conte down on a 2 year extension until 2020, doesnt mean he wont be sacked in November if it goes to pot but the issue about him not signing a deal was apparently a lack of movement in the market hopefully thats sorted and we see 2 or 3 more players in before the start of the deason with Matic and Costa leaving.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »
    No matter where he goes I doubt he will ever be viewed on the same level as Messi he's just not that consistent.
    This whole living in his shadow thing seems to be like something from Rocky than reality.
    II don't see how Messi is effecting his performance as he plays on the left regardless. I'm sure Barca would love him to step up to the occasion more often even with Messi there but he isn't reliable doing that.

Look at how Gareth Bale and Benzema have been restricted by being in Ronaldo's shadow. Benzema is basically a workhorse for the team now.I'd be pretty confident that if they were at other clubs where they were definitely the best player at the club they would have even better individual careers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's ****ing nuts in 2017 or at any time, he was offered to West ham for 2m a few years back! The Hammers really do have the strangest tastes in strikers/fowards.

Look at how Gareth Bale and Benzema have been restricted by being in Ronaldo's shadow. Benzema is basically a workhorse for the team now.I'd be pretty confident that if they were at other clubs where they were definitely the best player at the club they would have even better individual careers

I don't know Bale has had a lot of injuries, if he was under more pressure wouldn't he break down more?
    As far as individual careers go I don't think either would contribute enough to win anything close to what they gave at Madrid. They are key players where they are too & neither are being played out of position.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Imagine Barcelona.... FC Barcelona(!!!!) selling the heir to Messi and Ronaldinho to PSG (!!!!!!). Can you really imagine that happening? Can you genuinely envision a reality in which Barcelona sell the next best player in the world and not sign anybody to replace him? Isn't that unfathomable?....Oh, wait....it isn't? Of course it isn't. The signs are all there, right in front of you. Neymar's new contract is nothing but a red flag fluttering in the breeze, just daring the bullish PSG to charge at it. That release clause, while a lot of money, is withing perfect reach of Paris. This board, incompetent as any in the club's history and lacking anything resembling a plan, let alone a vision, are more preoccupied by the allure of the colour green rather than silver. And I'd like to think it'll be ok, we'll go and sign Ousmane Dembele, Marco Verratti and maybe a big name striker and we'll be a better team because of it. The problem is that imagining this board actually improving Barcelona, even with that money at their disposal, is just too tough to imagine.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, maybe it wouldnt be that much a step back if they signed proper replacements. But right now the Barca board is horrible. Probably go and sign someone like Negredo :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

irishman86 wrote: »
    I was thinking the exact same thing, maybe it wouldnt be that much a step back if they signed proper replacements. But right now the Barca board is horrible. Probably go and sign someone like Negredo :pac:

And treat it like a coup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

https://twitter.com/rbl_observer/status/887545071947612160

RBLs managing director saying that they have refused a 75m euros bid for Keita and he'll fulfill his contract.

astradave wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/rbl_observer/status/887545071947612160

RBLs managing director saying that they have refused a 75m euros bid for Keita and he'll fulfill his contract.

It doesnt say who from in the tweet, I imagine Liverpool yeah?

ERG89 wrote: »
    I don't know Bale has had a lot of injuries, if he was under more pressure wouldn't he break down more?
    As far as individual careers go I don't think either would contribute enough to win anything close to what they gave at Madrid. They are key players where they are too & neither are being played out of position.

They wouldn't win anywhere near as much which is why they have joind Real Madrid but when you look at Bale when he was at Spurs and was the man and now it brought the best out of him.Admittedly injuries have held him back the last season ro so but he never has seemed as comfortable at Real as he did wth Spurs because he has to defer to Ronaldo now.

Benzema although he's had a brilliant career he could ahve had an even better individual career, he was an unbelievable talent at Lyon and I think we have never really go to see how good he could have become because he's always played second fiddle to Ronaldo.

Neymar has won his trophies now so he doesn't have that pressure on him and has a certain freedom with teh remainder of his carrer.I'd love to see him at a club where the team would set up everything to get the best out of him and he'd be the main man.He'll always be somewhat compromised as long is Messi is around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

It doesnt say who from in the tweet, I imagine Liverpool yeah?

I would presume so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Advertisement