Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya Paul Joyce reporting Liverpool have had a £66m bid rejected for Keita.

That one looks dead in the water anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

DiMarzio and his sky Journalists reported Danilo from Madrid to City is a done deal for 35 Million Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    DiMarzio and his sky Journalists reported Danilo from Madrid to City is a done deal for 35 Million Euros.

Another reminder of just how dismal those full back options were last season. They directly led to Guardiola abandoning his original plan and having to go for something slightly more orthodox.

Another reminder of just how dismal those full back options were last season. They directly led to Guardiola abandoning his original plan and having to go for something slightly more orthodox.

Of yeah it's never Pep's fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

rob316 wrote: »
    Ya Paul Joyce reporting Liverpool have had a £66m bid rejected for Keita.

That one looks dead in the water anyway.

Crazy money. Makes City signing B Silva for £43m look like very good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Ah now to be fair lads, Pep to City was out of the blue, last minute and he did come in when the window was closed so couldn't make any signings and its not like City have a bottomless pit of money either, considering he had to simply work with the dross available to him I think he did a superb job as always.....................wait

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I wish he would sign a DM/Pivot player otherwise this is all a waste of time in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That move was good value from the moment it was announced IMO. He looks phenomenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It must be really crazy seen as you posted it three times ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Deja vu, all over again.

emmetkenny wrote: »

Sorry, phone issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

So that is a €250 million potential back line of Ederson, Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Danilo?

Not sure that has the centre forwards in the EPL and CL deciding to stay home because there is nothing to win against that line.

inforfun wrote: »
    So that is a €250 million potential back line of Ederson, Walker, Stones, Otamendi, Danilo?

Not sure that has the centre forwards in the EPL and CL deciding to stay home because there is nothing to win against that line.

Stones is still the weak link, didnt look to make the step up in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Nah, new left back and Kompany plus one of either Otamendi/Stones/Another....hopefully another as otamendi or stones dont fill me with confidence. Danilo and Walker to fight it out for right back...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Its gonna be more like walker, kompany, otamendi, mendy.

Plus new keeper which does look pretty good. If they get that sorted nobody can touch them from midfield up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tastyt wrote: »
    Its gonna be more like walker, kompany, otamendi, mendy.

Plus new keeper which does look pretty good. If they get that sorted nobody can touch them from midfield up

Need Kompany to stay fit first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

And another 50 million for Mendy which would bring it close to 300 million.
    For a back line.

Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

For a back line.

Madness.

Need a deputy LB aswell so prob another 30-40 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

#coaching

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

For a back line.

Madness.

Pep is no different to any other manager. In fact, by this spending, he's gone more chequebook than most.

He seems to have literally given Sheikh Mansour a list, and told them to go get, whatever it takes.

If it works, more power to him. But it won't make him a genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Getting a new back 4 to blend together with a new GK really quickly will be something of an achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

SlickRic wrote: »
    Pep is no different to any other manager. In fact, by this spending, he's gone more chequebook than most.

He seems to have literally given Sheikh Mansour a list, and told them to go get, whatever it takes.

If it works, more power to him. But it won't make him a genius.

He needed a new back line, it was needed for a few seasons now. He's getting the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He needed a new back line, it was needed for a few seasons now. He's getting the job done.

Yeah needed for a few seasons so its good to see Pep noticing and adressing this in his first season. Oh hang on Bravo and Stones weren't a solution?

And as I said, fair play.

But anyone else, and questions would be more pertinently raised about how much money he's needing.

And as I said, fair play.

But anyone else, and questions would be more pertinently raised about how much money he's needing.

Are we really questioning money here, with the sale of Neymar, Lukakus price etc, he has the resources to spend and there's a major problem in the defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Ah now to be fair lads, Pep to City was out of the blue, last minute and he did come in when the window was closed so couldn't make any signings and its not like City have a bottomless pit of money either, considering he had to simply work with the dross available to him I think he did a superb job as always.....................wait

It's a fair criticism, but the exact same can be levelled at Mourinho at United. He was in the job early, and had plenty of time to assess what was considered a floundering squad, United fans will tell you there was an improvement but that isn't exactly reflected in league progression.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yeah needed for a few seasons so its good to see Pep noticing and adressing this in his first season. Oh hang on Bravo and Stones weren't a solution?

Bravo wasnt a solution, and when Navas is being played right back there's problems with the defence. Stones will play his part in the team and is only one part of the defence . Pep didn't address the defence enough last season, hes first season aswell and he is making up ground on that now.

• Lukker- wrote: »
    It's a fair criticism, but the exact same can be levelled at Mourinho at United. He was in the job early, and had plenty of time to assess what was considered a floundering squad, United fans will tell you there was an improvement but that isn't exactly reflected in league progression.

Wining two major trophies and automatic Cl qualification. Dreadful..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

M!Ck^ wrote: »

and what "major" trophies would they be?
    He won a trophy he said he didnt want to win and neither of them was hardly the stuff of dreams for the "worlds biggest club"
    It is delusion to think that any other trophy than the premier league or champions league is enough for clubs like Utd

make no mistake, it was a very underwhelming season for Utd and so far I dont see it being much different next season

and what "major" trophies would they be?
    He won a trophy he said he didnt want to win and neither of them was hardly the stuff of dreams for the "worlds biggest club"
    It is delusion to think that any other trophy than the premier league or champions league is enough for clubs like Utd

make no mistake, it was a very underwhelming season for Utd and so far I dont see it being much different next season

I agree with underwhelming in the league yeah, but saying the EL trophy is not a major trophy is ridiculous.

Are we really questioning money here, with the sale of Neymar, Lukakus price etc, he has the resources to spend and there's a major problem in the defence.

It's not as bad as the investment indicates.

Pep failed to adapt his tactics to the Premier League. His CBs kept getting isolated, and often direct football bullied his CBs. Often because he did things like deploy his best DM (Fernandinho) as a LB.

But I forgot, the team's failings are nothing to do with Pep. It's because all their recruitment before him was bad.

I agree with underwhelming in the league yeah, but saying the EL trophy is not a major trophy is ridiculous.

it is to clubs like Utd, is my point

It's not as bad as the investment indicates.

Pep failed to adapt his tactics to the Premier League. His CBs kept getting isolated, and often direct football bullied his CBs. Often because he would deploy his best DM (Fernandinho) as a LB.

But I forgot, the team's failings are nothing to do with Pep. It's because all their recruitment before him was bad.

If he had Kompany for the season it might have covered over some of the cracks but the back line was a shambles Fern being swapped in and out Navas taking up a position at Rb Bravo a walking hologram . But it's partly down to Pep tactics and he's Lack of transfers last season for positions in defence and partly down to the transfers before him for these positions.
    Bar Nolito he's transfers have been decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I don't get Morata, he's never looked that great to me. Still feel Arsenal have signed the best striker so far in Lacazette.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If EL and EFL cup is what you think United's level is? Great, otherwise, finishing 6th in the league is what is classed as disappointing.

United faced Ajax and Southampton in the finals, hardly where they are aiming to be. Exactly where you would expect the other clubs though

I don't get Morata, he's never looked that great to me. Still feel Arsenal have signed the best striker so far in Lacazette.

He scored/assisted every 114 minutes in his first season at Juve, every 110 in his second season and EVERY 65 Minutes in his last season with Real, earning them 13 additional points, granted, against weaker opposition, but he didn't play the clasicos, against Atleti or the likes of Sevilla, so we can't judge him on that.

Add to that the fact that he has bossed CL in 2015, and has bags of technical ability and footballing IQ ( which explains his outrageous number of assists in 2016 with Juve ), he is a potential world class striker.

but can he do it against stoke on a wet windy winters day getting the legs chopped off him?? who knows

Lukker- wrote: »
    If EL and EFL cup is what you think United's level is? Great, otherwise, finishing 6th in the league is what is classed as disappointing.

United faced Ajax and Southampton in the finals, hardly where they are aiming to be. Exactly where you would expect the other clubs though

6th and what was it, 24 points behind CHELSEA THE WINNERS?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭patrickSTARR

TBF, Jose has got them moving in the right direction. United needed work, major work, to be considered title contenders and in his first year Jose was got them on the right track. Back in the Champ Lge, 2 cups..... its a start. Anyone that says it isn't an improvement is just sour. And that's coming from a Chelsea fan

IMO they are the team to watch this year. I don't think they are quite there yet, but 2 more signings and they could be champions.

• Advertisement

Every other premier league team had to be put out by someone along the way to the League Cup final. Everyone had the same chance to win it at the start and if certain clubs failed with whatever strategy they used that's their issue, not ours. Liverpool seem to have taken it serious enough in the past given they hold the record for wins. 4 wins in the 80's in their last glory years.

The EL was the only european competition we were in, that wasn't Jose's fault. All he could do was secure as much silverware while getting Champions League qualification for next year. He did that. Would it be better if he finished 4th and didn't win the two cups?

• Lukker- wrote: »

Nearly never won a race. Unless we lifted the PL trophy then I don't really give a ****.
    Next was to win in the competitions we were in and qualify for the CL in either of the two options. We chose the later which happened to have a major trophy attached to it. And I preferred that option.

Not trying to backseat mod at all, but I won't be carrying on with this line in this thread.

• Jayop wrote: »
    Not trying to backseat mod at all, but I won't be carrying on with this line in this thread.

Yep back to transfers

https://twitter.com/FootballFunnys/status/887696030929526784

What becomes of Randolph now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

beakerjoe wrote: »

Boro and Newcastle were linked with him the other day.

I cant see him starting for a PL club though, I think they all have equally as good GKs and in most cases, much better GKs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

beakerjoe wrote: »

He had already lost his place to Adrian at end of last season.

He needs a move away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

he has the resources to spend and there's a major problem in the defence.

The major problem with the defence wasn't the players.

The money he has spent on average players like Walker is going to hang Pep though, if their defensive shambles continue he won't be able to hide behind the players any more, not when they will have a €300m+ backline that he bought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Glenn Whelan on his way to Villa. Having a medical today.

The major problem with the defence wasn't the players.

The money he has spent on average players like Walker is going to hang Pep though, if their defensive shambles continue he won't be able to hide behind the players any more, not when they will have a €300m+ backline that he bought.

How do you figure it wasn't the players, he had 1 if not 2 players filling in defence, where is the 300+ Mill defence you mentioned?

• Advertisement
Advertisement