Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

33 year old Glenn Whelan to protect 37 year old John Terry...

Let's hope Steve Bruce knows what he's doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Good deal for Madrid in fairness

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Good deal for Madrid in fairness

Yeah wanted him at United, thought his game would suit the league perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

astradave wrote: »
    Yeah wanted him at United, thought his game would suit the league perfectly.

Gotta say I wanted him aswell but considering José managed both you have to assume he thinks Rom is the better. Guess we'll all know more this time 12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

any idea on the fee for morata

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

votecounts wrote: »

Depends who you listen to. The ones being briefed by Madrid claim £85 million the ones from England listening to Chelsea saying £60 million pounds

votecounts wrote: »

DiMarzio who broke it is saying €80-85m all in.

Chelsea are leaking they are paying an initial £58m before addons, haven't leaked how much the addons are though. Probably £15-20m worth

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Looks like Veratti is to sign a new contract with PSG, with the condition he swaps agents to Raiola. Apparently PSG have said they will 100% not sell this summer but will not stop him going next year if he wants to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

£58 million initial fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Depends who you listen to. The ones being briefed by Madrid claim £85 million the ones from England listening to Chelsea saying £60 million pounds

My guess is somewhere in the middle so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

If he had Kompany for the season it might have covered over some of the cracks but the back line was a shambles Fern being swapped in and out Navas taking up a position at Rb Bravo a walking hologram . But it's partly down to Pep tactics and he's Lack of transfers last season for positions in defence and partly down to the transfers before him for these positions.
    Bar Nolito he's transfers have been decent.

Bravo, John stones, Nolito, Gundogan, Sane and Jesus. Those are the players we have seen actually play for City. Only the last two could claim to have had any sort of a decent season and even then, Sane didn't figure much until the end and Jesus played a handful of games and is a kid.

His signings have been overwhelming poor so far imo. Could improve, and the Monaco signings look good, but I would be incredibly wary of this keeper coming in and Walker is not known for his incredible defensive contributions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

irish press confirm Chelsea have signed Morata

SNOOP.jpg

irish press confirm Chelsea have signed Morata

SNOOP.jpg

Boy did this joke get old fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Bravo, John stones, Nolito, Gundogan, Sane and Jesus. Those are the players we have seen actually play for City. Only the last two could claim to have had any sort of a decent season and even then, Sane didn't figure much until the end and Jesus played a handful of games and is a kid.

His signings have been overwhelming poor so far imo. Could improve, and the Monaco signings look good, but I would be incredibly wary of this keeper coming in and Walker is not known for his incredible defensive contributions.

Suit yourself,I disagree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Bravo was horrendous but being very harsh on the rest. John Stones made a few mistakes that of course turned into meme style coverage and reception but he had a solid season. Hasn't proven his value yet but the man cannot win with some people. Gundogan was immense until injured. Sane not featuring much until the end is just not true. Besides taking a while to break into the team and a slight injury he was more than less starting every game from late September/October on. And he was a belter of a signing. Nolito was a bit of a head banger. Started great but seemed more concerned about his daughter getting a tan and Sane coming along didn't help matters. Some hit and misses there but certainly not woeful although not fantastic either. Take aside people's prejudice against John Stones and the reality isn't that bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Burial. wrote: »
    Bravo was horrendous but being very harsh on the rest. John Stones made a few mistakes that of course turned into meme style coverage and reception but he had a solid season. Hasn't proven his value yet but the man cannot win with some people. Gundogan was immense until injured. Sane not featuring much until the end is just not true. Besides taking a while to break into the team and a slight injury he was more than less starting every game from late September/October on. And he was a belter of a signing. Nolito was a bit of a head banger. Started great but seemed more concerned about his daughter getting a tan and Sane coming along didn't help matters. Some hit and misses there but certainly not woeful although not fantastic either. Take aside people's prejudice against John Stones and the reality isn't that bad at all.

You didnt mention Jesus for shame :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Boy did this joke get old fast.

I was in a shop the other day just mindlessly gawking at the magazine stall when I spotted a picture of Romelu Lukaku, however just after this I noticed that it was Hot Press magazine I was looking and and I was wondering why the **** was Lukaku doing an interview with a music magazine. Of course only then did I see under the picture that it had Stormzy's name as part of the tag line for the magazine.

So it can happen to the best of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Morata is a superb signing. Arguably the best signing made this summer.

Bit early for that title, surely we have to wait a few games before anyone can claim that. For all we know right now he could flop and Rooney could have a second coming.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

1882614-39648197-2560-1440-1024x575.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Bit early for that title, surely we have to wait a few games before anyone can claim that. For all we know right now he could flop and Rooney could have a second coming.

Yes, I'm making a prediction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I actually think both United and Chelsea ended better off signing each others seeming 'first' choice. Lukaku is probably a better for United as he is more in the mould of a Mourinho striker, and his finishing is exactly what United missed last season. Morata will link up well with Pedro, Hazard and Willian and he can take a person on.

United relied heavily Ibra for goals last season, and will likely rely on Lukaku this season.Lukaku scored a good chunk of Everton goals last season and I believe it'll be the same at United, so I I'd say he'll end up with more goals than Morata.

Conte has very clearly rated Morata for some time, so he is obviously suited to Conte's playstyle. I'd expect Morata to have more assists as he'll have good support from goal scoring wingers like Hazard, Pedro and even Willian.

Anyways next season is really interesting because nearly all the teams top strikers: Kane, Aguero, Lukaku, Lacazette, Morata ... Liverpool are clearly a bit weak up there though imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Morata is one of those transfers where I think everyone wins. Real get great money for a sub striker, Morata gets a really good move and Chelsea get a very, very good striker who is made to play in a league like EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

If United could keep Zlatan around the club for the year, fit or not, he could be an amazing mentor for Lukaku. Lukaku still has improving to do with his link up and hold up play and Zlatan is a master at that.

JPA wrote: »
    If United could keep Zlatan around the club for the year, fit or not, he could be an amazing mentor for Lukaku. Lukaku still has improving to do with his link up and hold up play and Zlatan is a master at that.

He's training with them until he's fit I thought?

I'd imagine they'll offer him a contract in the new year if he's ready to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

Boards seems very anti-City, tbh his opinion is more nonsense than mine, both are obv silly.
    The major problem with the defence wasn't the players.

The money he has spent on average players like Walker is going to hang Pep though, if their defensive shambles continue he won't be able to hide behind the players any more, not when they will have a €300m+ backline that he bought.

The major problem with the attack wasn't the players.

The money he has spent on average players like Lukaku is going to hang Mou though, if their attacking shambles continue he won't be able to hide behind the players any more, not when they will have a €300m+ attack that he bought.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Average? How many goals does the "average" striker score in the Premiership every season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Boards is anti every club.

Also if Lukaku the 75m striker with 20+ goals three years in a row is average wtf does that make a 50m full back and a 300 odd million defense?

Average? How many goals does the "average" striker score in the Premiership every season?

Not sure, tell me. Last season Rashford scored 5 in 48 appearances, Martial scored 4 in 32. Better than average?

• Advertisement

Burial. wrote: »

Your thoughts on Stones are correct. His 2016 Autumn was horrible where he would play reasonably well but would then make one big error which almost always seemed to result in a goal. In 2017 he was very good. Two mistakes in 2017 - one v Everton which was unfortunate and one v Monaco where Falcao got the better of him - but he should never have been left exposed like that.

It doesn't seem to matter he played well for so long in 2017, opinions seem to be already formed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Agree that there is some harsh criticism of Stones and, without wanting to necessarily go full Man City outside the Man City thread, here are my thoughts.

City have the same issue as Liverpool - it's tactics not (entirely) personnel that cause their defensive issues.

They commit so many players forward that the CBs are exposed constantly and can look to make silly errors. Compare it to Man United, Chelsea or Spurs, all of whom have at least one dedicated defensive midfield player, is it any wonder that the likes of Otamendi (who looks good when shielded at Argentina or at Valencia before his move) or Lovren at Liverpool (who was solid at Southampton with two DMs in front of him) look shakier, poorer positionally, etc.

City can spend another £200m+ on their defence but, as far as I'm concerned, if they continue to offer no protection in the middle of the park, it won't matter.

You send out Ederson with Walker, Stones, Kompany and Mendy in front of him with Fernandinho responsible for the entirety of the defensive midfield and passing work, then they will be exposed. It's the same job Henderson and/or Can have to do at Liverpool. When it works and the attack is in full swing, it can be overwhelming but when it doesn't, it can lead to silly goals - and lots of them.

If City had a fit Gundogan alongside Fernandinho or another CM - either focused on defence or distribution - then they'd be far better off IMO. They may score less and have to sacrifice one member of the attack, but they'd be far more solid in defence I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

rwbug wrote: »
    Boards seems very anti-City, tbh his opinion is more nonsense than mine, both are obv silly.

The money he has spent on average players like Lukaku is going to hang Mou though, if their attacking shambles continue he won't be able to hide behind the players any more, not when they will have a €300m+ attack that he bought.

I'm sure that seemed a whole lot wittier inside your head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not sure, tell me. Last season Rashford scored 5 in 48 appearances, Martial scored 4 in 32. Better than average?

Why did you pick two players who played the majority of league games on the wing/out wide.

Lukaku is obviously better than average,trying to use him in that silly scenario just makes you look like an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Transfer thread lads.

You said "average players like Lukaku".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Vertatti looks set to sign an extension with PSG, and the cockroach Mino Railoa is his new agent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Lukker- wrote: »
    Vertatti looks set to sign an extension with PSG, and the cockroach Mino Railoa is his new agent.

Move to United sorted for next year so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/danielstorey85/status/887295271843090433

"Chelsea's longest-serving professional player is Matej Delac.

He's been loaned out nine times and never made an appearance for Chelsea."

Chelsea really do hoard players, loan them out ad infinitum and then eventually sell them on.

https://twitter.com/AVFCOfficial/status/887975579932393472

Glenn Whelan officially announced as a Villa player.

Mattia De Sciglio officially signs for Juve. Announcement on their website with a picture of him signing his contract. Included in their squad for upcoming pre-season tour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

:rolleyes: Ah come off buddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I love how in the last six weeks Lukaku has gone from a decent goal-getter but not much else to suddenly being world class. It's embarrassing to see some people fawning over him now claiming he is suddenly the second coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Quazzie wrote: »
    I love how in the last six weeks Lukaku has gone from a decent goal-getter but not much else to suddenly being world class. It's embarrassing to see some people fawning over him now claiming he is suddenly the second coming.

It's embarrassing someone even waste the bandwidth to make these kind of posts.

• Advertisement

TBF some United fans always held him in high regard. Not me. Ive always felt he was very good but not top drawer good. Its just my opinion and Im open to others who think hes better too.

But that being said, I will get behind him. I hope he bangs in 30 a season. While Id rather Morata, this is what the manager has gotten and I have to support it. Its not outside of the realm that Lukaku can bang in the goals for United. If he done it for Everton he can do it for United. How you find that embarrassing I don’t know.

Fact is hes 24, with loads of potential and hes proven that he knows where the net is. I will get behind him like any decent supporter would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

It works both ways, you'll suddenly have lots of posters that don't rate him anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Johner wrote: »
    It works both ways, you'll suddenly have lots of posters that don't rate him anymore.

indeed
    Buy Lukaku
    Win League
    ??????
    Profit
    I'd have Lukaku up there ahead of most others. He'll finish more of Ozil's chance than most other strikers.
    For the record I wouldn't have been happy with either Bacca or Martinez, but I'm just throwing them up there as examples others have given previously.

For me it's Higuain or Lukaku.

I think a large amount of people believe he's a a quality player who is going to get better and better and that was well before Man Utd signed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Iago wrote: »
    indeed

:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement