Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd imagine if you asked either set of fans a few weeks ago who they prefer it would be a toss up to be honest.

I can't see either doing to bad in the PL next season to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Daryl Murphy set to join Nottingham Forrest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Neymar to PSG is all systems go. Done deal it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

And Barca are after Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Barcelona submitted a £72million bid for Philippe Coutinho on Thursday but it was immediately rejected. (Paul Joyce)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Johner wrote: »
    And Barca are after Coutinho.

I like Coutinho. Not at all sure he's the answer to any of the problems the first already has, or will have sans Neymar. Chase Verratti, sign Ousmane Dembele, get another striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Jayop wrote: »
    CSF wrote: »
    Lukaku > Morata. That's a discussion I'm surprised to see taking place on here but then again I probably shouldn't be.

How do you figure that out? I see it is impossible to call at this stage with very little comparable play time. Lukaku has way more goals scored but Morata played less time. Lukaku played for a much weaker team, Morata is playing with a monster team who score mental amounts of goals with him or without him.

I wouldn't say it was a delusion to claim one was better than the other either way until we see them both starting for big club in the same league.
    So essentially we're saying one is a proven goal scorer and the other is someone who has shown plenty of potential but needs to find somewhere to actually go prove himself as being a top striker.

So we're agreed basically?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

CSF wrote: »
    So essentially we're saying one is a proven goal scorer and the other is someone who has shown plenty of potential but needs to find somewhere to actually go prove himself as being a top striker.

So we're agreed basically?

Lol I actually thought you were mocking the idea Lukaku could be better.

I did a few posts yesterday in the United thread looking and comparing the stats of both. For last season in league only they were very close. Morata actually scored 12 of his 15 goals in the 14 games he started. It's really hard to know who will be better. If I had to guess I'd say they'll both be very good for their teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Can't say I'm not a little disappointed with Neymar here. I feel he's wasted in a league of that quality.

He's going to have to put in some unbelievable performances in the champions league to ever be considered as the best player in the world now. Which is what he should be aiming for.

No matter how people will try to spin this, realistically he's in a nothing league. The only true test PSG will consistently have will be in the champions league over the coming years. We seen with Monaco this year as soon as any decent side appears in that league, it will be bought up by more wealthy clubs.

Winning titles in France will add nothing to Neymar's legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Maybe he's tired of feeling like he's in Messi's shadow. He'll be the main man at a big club now, one that's full of other Brazilians too, and with him in the side I can see PSG going very far in the CL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If he brings a Champions league title to PSG, he will be lauded as the greatest player at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

eagle eye wrote: »
    If he brings a Champions league title to PSG, he will be lauded as the greatest player at that time.

No he won't.

It's a team with Thiago Silva, Di Maria, Lucas, Veratti, Marquinhos, Cavani, Pastore, Drexler, Been Arfa, Alves and a half dozen other very good players and they're about to also sign Sanchez. It's not like he's leading some small team with average players to glory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He's out from under Messi's shadow now, he wins the champions league with them and he cements a great legacy for himself something he could never achieve with Barca. Imagine being the player that leads the main team from one of Europe's biggest cities to their first ever European Cup title.

It's a much more enticing and romantic prospect than being just a member of a Barcelona team that wins yet another European cup where you'll never be able to live up to Messi.

If he's far and away the best player throughout the champions league campaign that season then yeah he'll probably get his hands on the ballon d'or.

My point is if there's any doubt or it's close between 2/3 players. The fact he plays in France for his league season should count against him. It's a league where psg are spending 220m on a single player and the rest are spending maybe 1/10th of that. If he isn't getting 40+ goals in that league in a season he's failing. Even then that's just about breaking even for a player of his talent in that league.

You can achieve greatness in unfashionable teams, but can you in an unfashionable league?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Can't say I'm not a little disappointed with Neymar here. I feel he's wasted in a league of that quality.

He's going to have to put in some unbelievable performances in the champions league to ever be considered as the best player in the world now. Which is what he should be aiming for.

Winning a world cup will do it for him. Which is probably more likely to happen

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Winning a world cup will do it for him. Which is probably more likely to happen

Sure, as long as Gabriel Jesus doesn't have similarly impressive performances and numbers that season. If he does then you would have to take into consideration the fact one plays in a much more difficult and competitive league.

Sure, as long as Gabriel Jesus doesn't have similarly impressive performances and numbers that season. If he does then you would have to take into consideration the fact one plays in a much more difficult and competitive league.

As is stands Neymar is miles ahead of Jesus. Of course that could change very quickly but I'd be surprised if anyone gets to his level in the near future.

Edit: sorry wrong thread for this and the deleted post

As is stands Neymar is miles ahead of Jesus. Of course that could change very quickly but I'd be surprised if anyone gets to his level in the near future.

Of course Neymar is currently better than him but in the hypothetical situation where Brazil win the world cup with both players playing equally as well as each other, you will have one player playing in one of the world's most competitive leagues and the other in a much poorer league that is a couple of level's below what he should be in.

Look should he win the Champions League with PSG and World Cup with Brazil I'll hold my hands up, you can't argue with that.... But otherwise I think the fact he will play in a league with a much lower standard than those who he will likely be competing against for the Ballon D'or, should count against him.

25+ goals for Jesus in the premier league would be a more impressive achievement than say 40/50 for Neymar in France for me anyway.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing with you at all man.

Ah it was more me just trying to clarify my thoughts on it more than anything. I wasn't sure what I was trying to say was coming across clearly.

Ah it was more me just trying to clarify my thoughts on it more than anything. I wasn't sure what I was trying to say was coming across clearly.

Nah it was a good post and you're dead right.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    I can't see either doing to bad in the PL next season to be honest.

Lukaku will be among the top goalscorers next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lukaku will be among the top goalscorers next season.

Going out on a limb there...

• JPA wrote: »
    Going out on a limb there...

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Real are doing fantastic work in the transfer market this summer. That sort of money for Danilo is great business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Corholio wrote: »
    Real are doing fantastic work in the transfer market this summer. That sort of money for Danilo is great business.

They've almost got enough for Mbappe now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

You can achieve greatness in unfashionable teams, but can you in an unfashionable league?

He's not playing in the top flight in Mongolia.He'll be playing in the champions league each year.I'd say the top players judge themselves on the champions league and the domestic isn't close to being as important.The champions league is the ultimate test of how great a player is these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Corholio wrote: »

Didnt they spend slightly more on him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kolarov set for Roma.

This despite him putting in one of the best CB performances Pep had apparently ever seen at one stage last season.

Gaping hole at LB. Mendy's price will likely be eye-watering now, if it wasn't going to be already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

SlickRic wrote: »
    Kolarov set for Roma.

This despite him putting in one of the best CB performances Pep had apparently ever seen at one stage last season.

Gaping hole at LB. Mendy's price will likely be eye-watering now, if it wasn't going to be already.
    Fairly silly selling him with out any replacement LB's signed yet. Must be a youth player ready to break through maybe?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Fairly silly selling him with out any replacement LB's signed yet. Must be a youth player ready to break through maybe?

Guardiola said after the match this morning that Kolorov asked to leave and he won't use players who don't want to be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I dont get City, why would you sign Walker and Danilo?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'll throw up this German link about the top 3 European transfers each years since 1980.

https://www.watson.ch/Sport/Fussball/710741515-Diese-37-Bilder-zeigen-perfekt--wie-die-Transfersummen-seit-1980-explodiert-sind

Some forgotten transfers in there, Steve Archibald to Barca was one I'd forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

SlickRic wrote:
    Kolarov set for Roma.

Monchi has been hugely underwhelming at Roma so far this summer. Only club in Italy who lost as much out of the starting XI are Fiorentina. His only good signings have been long term targets of the club anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Id ont get City, why would you sign Walker and Danilo?

Danilo can play CM & LB too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Lucas Hood wrote: »

He could barely play RB for Real last year, he was brutal, compared to his Porto days anyway.

I wouldnt trust him in CM, City have far better options, LB would be interesting would curtail their attack having a right footed LB, like Azp at LB for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lucas Hood wrote: »

As far as I can see he has never played CM since he came to Europe and has played only a dozen games at LB.

It's a strange signing after forking out 50m on Walker .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I won't acknowledge the transfer season has begun till I get a Garay, Snedijer or Ronaldo to United story.

Well... Sneijder was released by Galatasaray so you ll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ERG89 wrote: »
    Monchi has been hugely underwhelming at Roma so far this summer. Only club in Italy who lost as much out of the starting XI are Fiorentina. His only good signings have been long term targets of the club anyway.

It's a long term strategy, he barely took charge of Roma. Better to wait at least 2-3 years to see what he can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Javier Manquillo joins Newcastle on 3 yr deal.

Kolarov completes his move to Roma.

Bernadeschi joins Juve for €40 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »

That's a steal in this transfer window. Though he did refuse to sign a new contract recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Who's bernadeschi??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Who's bernadeschi??

Not sure if serious but just in case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kurt Zouma joins Stoke on loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No one with a life follows Serie A ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

zerks wrote: »
    Javier Manquillo joins Newcastle on 3 yr deal.

Kolarov completes his move to Roma.

Manquillono has done nothing to deserve a third chance in the premier league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I dont get City, why would you sign Walker and Danilo?

When you axe all your FB's it will lead to desperate times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement