Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Confirmed staying in Liverpool so, Guillem's rumours are the transfer equivalent of the kiss of death.

Have a look at some of the replies to his tweet :D it's jut people calling him out on his bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    He isnt.

Who'd be ahead of him then?

I'd pick him in front of every payer in the world apart from Messi,Ronaldo and Suarez right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

I'd pick him in front of every payer in the world apart from Messi,Ronaldo and Suarez right now.

Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez. Modric, Kroos for a start.

There's no anti-United bias in saying Neymar's on another level to Pogba, I don't know of very many people at all who would argue otherwise. Neymar's probably one of the top 5 players in the world.

Great attackers are more valuable than great midfield players so regardless of how good Pogba may become if Neymar backs up his talent with performances (and I'd be pretty sure he will) he'll always have the edge over the likes of Pogba and that's why his fee in comparision to Pogba's is probably better value for money. Neymars 14/15 and 15/16 seasons are better than anything Pogba has produced so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Pogba, Lukaku, Mkhitaryan, de Gea, Martial, Rashford :P

Oh please don't confuse me with likes of yourself. Probably your most intelligent posts, considering your other posts bar isn't that high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez. Modric, Kroos for a start.

Can't believe the Toni Kroos myth is still going. Great player but top 10 in the world is an insult, top 5 is just batsh*t crazy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Lads, cut the Liverpool vs United bull**** out. Cards about to be dished to one or two who crossed the line. Everyone else, drop it and get back to transfer news.

Delaney(sorry) reporting that Liverpool are going to go back with a take it or leave it bid if £75m for Keita.

https://twitter.com/indyfootball/status/888482035974651904

Why was Giggsy's and my latest posts about Kroos/top 5 deleted? Nothing to do with Pool/United/mod warning...our latest posts still show them and both of us deleting them ourselves seems a bit unlikely.

Edit: I mean deleting the last two posts and nothing else before it makes little sense either..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Best or second best midfielder in the world. Stop it my sides hurt.
    He's not even the best in the league.

I couldn't give a **** what he cost either or any player for that matter I was simply saying in my original post he was in that 70 to 90m bracket, neymar is worth much more. Forwards generally are, he is easily in the top 5 footballers in the world and has the potential to be the best as messi and Ronaldo decline. He is also the most marketable footballer on the planet.

Pogba was largely anonymous for United last year when it mattered. I'm not even thinking about goals, I'm talking about him imposing himself on a game. He has lots of potential but your are overrating his current ability simple as.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

How about the player who came third in the voting this year for a start :rolleyes:

rob316 wrote: »
    Best or second best midfielder in the world. Stop it my sides hurt.
    He's not even the best in the league.

I couldn't give a **** what he cost either or any player for that matter I was simply saying in my original post he was in that 70 to 90m bracket, neymar is worth much more. Forwards generally are, he is easily in the top 5 footballers in the world and has the potential to be the best as messi and Ronaldo decline. He is also the most marketable footballer on the planet.

Pogba was largely anonymous for United last year when it mattered. I'm not even thinking about goals, I'm talking about him imposing himself on a game. He has lots of potential but your are overrating his current ability simple as.

He isnt easily in the top five forwards never mind players.
    Pogba on the other hand is easily in the top five midfielders.
    Its funny how you talk about over rating Pogbas current ability when you and other posters are doing the same. You are hardly saying 13 goals in the league for Barcelona are amazing, unless wait you are just talking nonsense which makes a lot more sense

irishman86 wrote: »
    He isnt easily in the top five forwards never mind players.
    Pogba on the other hand is easily in the top five midfielders.
    Its funny how you talk about over rating Pogbas current ability when you and other posters are doing the same. You are hardly saying 13 goals in the league for Barcelona are amazing, unless wait you are just talking nonsense which makes a lot more sense

Not in the top 5. Just stop it seriously. I'm sure if United were in the mix for him you'd have a different opinion.

Neymar has 185 combined goals and assists in 186 games for Barcelona. Unreal numbers

Not in the top 5. Just stop it seriously. I'm sure if United were in the mix for him you'd have a different opinion.

Neymar has 185 combined goals and assists in 186 games for Barcelona. Unreal numbers

I dont support United :rolleyes: I just have no bias towards them
    A team that scores on average of 4 goals a game with Suarez and Messi, like I said you havent a clue what your talking about.
    Neymar is the best forward from Brazil for example but when you look at his supporting cast you see why Coutinho and William arent exactly top player material
    Like I said hes not top five forward never mind top five player, he may be someday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm just shocked to hear that Neymar has played nearly 200 games for Barca already, time really does fly.

I dont support United :rolleyes: I just have no bias towards them
    A team that scores on average of 4 goals a game with Suarez and Messi, like I said you havent a clue what your talking about.
    Neymar is the best forward from Brazil for example but when you look at his supporting cast you see why Coutinho and William arent exactly top player material
    Like I said hes not top five forward never mind top five player, he may be someday

This discussion is too stupid for me, I'm bowing out. good luck

How about the player who came third in the voting this year for a start :rolleyes:

He's up there, but it's arguable whether Griezmann is better than Neymar overall rather than taking a 1 year sample size.

I'm just shocked to hear that Neymar has played nearly 200 games for Barca already, time really does fly.

105 goals and 80 assists in those games.. mental figures really.

This discussion is too stupid for me, I'm bowing out. good luck

:rolleyes: sure you are

• Advertisement

Neymars rankings in the Ballon D'or in recent years.

2016: 5th
    2015: 3rd
    2014: 7th
    2013: 5th

Averages out at 5th over the past 4 years , the years he's been playing in Europe so I'd say it's safe to say he's one of the top 5 players in the world and that putting forward that opinion that he is is perfectly sensible.

Randolph to Middlesboro

https://twitter.com/boro/status/888490086182072322

I'm sure you don't need me to translate this one :D

https://twitter.com/mohamedbouhafsi/status/888492101381615617

He's up there, but it's arguable whether Griezmann is better than Neymar overall rather than taking a 1 year sample size.

You could take more than that and come up with the same conclusion that Neymar isnt a better player. Hes benefited from playing for a Barcelona team while Griezmann has played for Atletico and previously to that Socidedad

Neymars rankings in the Ballon D'or in recent years.

2016: 5th
    2015: 3rd
    2014: 7th
    2013: 5th

Averages out at 5th over the past 4 years , the years he's been playing in Europe so I'd say it's safe to say he's one of the top 5 players in the world and that putting forward that opinion that he is is perfectly sensible.

A award that favours strikers more and more each year, you really are proving nothing only your bias towards strikers. You realise there is a golden boot for strikers :pac:

A award that favours strikers more and more each year, you really are proving nothing only your bias towards strikers. You realise there is a golden boot for strikers :pac:

Yet you say this:

In response to this:

Neymar is also not a striker.

This doesn't prove my bias towards anything it proves the people who vote in the ballon d'or clearly rate him highly.The guardians top 100 players list for 2016 had him at number 5 aswell.

Attackers are the most important players on the field, so the ballon d'or award should favour them.

All the good defensive play and keeping possession is worth absolutely nothing if you don't have players who can carve open the defence and put the ball into the back of the net.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

astradave wrote: »

Go on dave. Translate it. Anything to try and keep this on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

If Neymar does leave then Coutinho is definitely Barca bound. Can see him forcing the move.

Burial. wrote: »
    Yet you say this:

In response to this:

Neymar is also not a striker.

I used it as hes a better forward than Neymar, I dont remember using the word striker :confused: if I did I meant forward.

This doesn't prove my bias towards anything it proves the people who vote in the ballon d'or clearly rate him highly.The guardians top 100 players list for 2016 had him at number 5 aswell.

Attackers are the most important players on the field, so the ballon d'or award should favour them.

All the good defensive play and keeping possession is worth absolutely nothing if you don't have players who can carve open the defence and put the ball into the back of the net.

Attackers arent really the most important players on the field, thats a modern persons and a incorrect way of thinking. The balon d'or is a popularity contest hence why Ronaldo/Messi have won it years others should have.

Johner wrote: »
    If Neymar does leave then Coutinho is definitely Barca bound. Can see him forcing the move.

How long before the Barca players start tapping him up in the media :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Why would he? He can play Champions League football with his mate Fun Bobby as his other bessie is heading for Paris.

Seriously though, the only way Coutinho will leave this summer is if Liverpool somehow fail to navigate the CL group qualifier in August, maybe then he'd say okay time to leave. Otherwise I think he can be confident of another offer next year.

Why would he? He can play Champions League football with his mate Fun Bobby as his other bessie is heading for Paris.

Seriously though, the only way Coutinho will leave this summer is if Liverpool somehow fail to navigate the CL group qualifier in August, maybe then he'd say okay time to leave. Otherwise I think he can be confident of another offer next year.

Tbf there is a big difference to challenging for the CL and making up the rest of the numbers.

Hello, 2005 called :) Who knows, Leicester City reached the quarters last season fer Pete's sake.

Attackers arent really the most important players on the field, thats a modern persons and a incorrect way of thinking. The balon d'or is a popularity contest hence why Ronaldo/Messi have won it years others should have.

They are.

Always have been and always will be. That's why clubs pay more for them than payers in other positions.

A 0-0 draw with 75% possession gets you 1 point and you don't win anything drawing games.

I remember hearing Franco Baresi being interviewed and he admitted that Van Basten was the most important player on the Milan team he was on, because of the impact he had up front. Even one of the greatest defenders of all time on probably the greatest defensive team of all time could admit that.I remember Beckenbauer and Rumenigge saying a similar thing about Gerd Muller

As great as Iniesta and Xavi are without the likes of Etoo,Ronadihnio,Henry,Messi,Villa,Surez and Neymar finishing off the dominance and opportunities they create Barca and Spain wouldn't have achieved anything close to what they did.

It doesn't mean the other positions aren't important it just means the attackers are a little bit more important.In every single sport in the world certain positions on team will always have a higher degree of importance and premium on them than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

The same reason Suarez left. To join a much bigger club and to win things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The same reason Suarez left. To join a much bigger club and to win things.

Funny that Neymar is leaving a bigger club for a really small one in world football terms.

Hello, 2005 called :) Who knows, Leicester City reached the quarters last season fer Pete's sake.

Think it's more that they wouldn't have a hope in winning it though whereas Barca would, I'd say the same about a United player, like I would hope Herrera would turn down Barca if they came calling like the reports but I don't think he would. Very hard for a Latin player to turn down the big 2

Edit: as a matter of interest, how much is Coutinho on a week?

They are.

Always have been and always will be. That's why clubs pay more for them than payers in other positions.

A 0-0 draw with 75% possession gets you 1 point and you don't win anything drawing games.

I remember hearing Franco Baresi being interviewed and he admitted that Van Basten was the most important player on the Milan team he was on, because of the impact he had up front. Even one of the greatest defenders of all time on probably the greatest defensive team of all time could admit that.I remember Beckenbauer and Rumenigge saying a similar thing about Gerd Muller

As great as Iniesta and Xavi are without the likes of Etoo,Ronadihnio,Henry,Messi,Villa,Surez and Neymar finishing off the dominance and opportunities they create Barca and Spain wouldn't have achieved anything close to what they did.

It doesn't mean the other positions aren't important it just means the attackers are a little bit more important.In every single sport in the world certain positions on team will always have a higher degree of importance and premium on them than others.

Really because Zidane has been the most important player for every team he played for. Ronaldinho and Messi are players on another planet and Suarez isnt a typical striker. Eto'o wouldnt have been half the player without Xavi/Iniesta or Sneijder at Inter
    Buffon a goalkeeper was one of the most expensive players for how long :rolleyes:
    At United De Gea was the most important player till Zlatan/Pogba arrived
    As for Spain they had a underperforming Torres hence why they started Fabergas so ya I dont agree with you

Really because Zidane has been the most important player for every team he played for. Ronaldinho and Messi are players on another planet and Suarez isnt a typical striker. Eto'o wouldnt have been half the player without Xavi/Iniesta or Sneijder at Inter
    Buffon a goalkeeper was one of the most expensive players for how long :rolleyes:
    At United De Gea was the most important player till Zlatan/Pogba arrived
    As for Spain they had a underperforming Torres hence why they started Fabergas so ya I dont agree with you

I said attackers were more important not strikers.

The game itself tells you attackers are more important as the biggest transfer fees are paid for attacking players.

astradave wrote: »
    Think it's more that they wouldn't have a hope in winning it though whereas Barca would, I'd say the same about a United player, like I would hope Herrera would turn down Barca if they came calling like the reports but I don't think he would. Very hard for a Latin player to turn down the big 2

Edit: as a matter of interest, how much is Coutinho on a week?

He is Liverpool's most waged player at £200,000 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Thankfully he's got a nice long contract with no buyout so if he goes it's not on the cheap.

I said attackers were more important not strikers.

The game itself tells you attackers are more important as the biggest transfer fees are paid for attacking players.

Like Ive mentioned already Zidane/Buffon and ill add Ferdinand/Thuram show thats not to be the case. Its the case more so in modern football Ill agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Some of Europe's top clubs including Real Madrid, Chelsea and Barca are said to be interested in signing Nice defender Malang Sarr.

Saw him a few times last season as his team played some quality stuff, and the hype is real to be fair. A release clause of £36m has been mentioned which seems like great value for a lad who's only 18, highly athletic and has solid defensive fundamentals which will only improve over time. Watching him a few months ago I was sure he'd end up at a big club but I didn't think it could happen this soon. Crazy amount of talent coming out of France at the minute, they could dominate the next generation like Spain did for most of this one.

Fair enough, he wouldn't be moving for the money if he did so as I doubt Barca would go much higher than that..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Roma have upped their bid for Mahrez,£30 million and reports from Italy that terms have been agreed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I've said it already on this thread, but Jez, some of the money being bandied around European football is scary.

A lot of it doesn't make economical sense.

I can understand spending £60 - £80mill on a Ronaldo or a Neymar, a guy who is going to win your things on their own, but when that sort of money is being mentioned for the next tier down of players, its only going to lead to ruin.

Ronaldo cost 80 million 8 years ago! Which in football terms means he is still the most expensive player until PSG land Neymar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

According to L'equipe, Mendy is going to City at just over 50m pounds.

So City will have 4 players across the back all costing about 50m quids. Blimey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So City will have 4 players across the back all costing about 50m quids. Blimey.

And you can guarantee they'll still look dodgy.

Advertisement