Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

He is Liverpool's most waged player at £200,000 a week.

The only one on that money at Liverpool is Klopp, I think we had this discussion before but Coutinho is on 150k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

NIMAN wrote: »
    I've said it already on this thread, but Jez, some of the money being bandied around European football is scary.

A lot of it doesn't make economical sense.

I can understand spending £60 - £80mill on a Ronaldo or a Neymar, a guy who is going to win your things on their own, but when that sort of money is being mentioned for the next tier down of players, its only going to lead to ruin.

agree - like the over-inflated Dublin housing market (the smart investors are not buying now) - are the richest teams in Europe now:-

PSG, Real, Barca, Man City, , Bayern, Milan, Chelsea, Man Utd - in that order ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

sword1 wrote: »
    The only one on that money at Liverpool is Klopp, I think we had this discussion before but Coutinho is on 150k a week

It's sort of hard to know... BBC sport claimed 150,000 at the time, while David Maddock claimed 200,000. We know his contract is heavily incentivized based on perfomances, appearances, goals, assists etc, so it's possible both are right - 150k base rising to a potential 200k+ based on expected targets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

sword1 wrote: »

Quick google there, Pep is on 288k a week thats mental :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

As a United fan who fell in love with the Monaco team of last season, to watch their best players heading to Man City and Chelsea is pretty tough to watch tbh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

City taking a gamble on him but Mendy has scary potential and natural ability. That left side of Mendy and Sane will have every right back sh*tting himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Defensively he can be quite dodgy and we saw that in the Champions League a few times, but offensively I can't think of many better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As a United fan who fell in love with the Monaco team of last season, to watch their best players heading to Man City and Chelsea is pretty tough to watch tbh. :(

Imagine how Monaco fans feel.:rolleyes:

NIMAN wrote: »
    Imagine how Monaco fans feel.:rolleyes:

Imagine how Marseille fans feel :cool:
    Ok they will still finish ahead of us, but there is more a chance :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Burial. wrote: »
    City taking a gamble on him but Mendy has scary potential and natural ability. That left side of Mendy and Sane will have every right back sh*tting himself.
    It looks very exciting alright. I'm looking forward to seeing how those 2 link up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

So RAC1 say Neymar now more likely to stay with Barcelona rather than leave, and without a pay rise due to the persuasion of teammates. If that turns out to be the case chalk it up as another incredible victory for this bunch. The board go above and beyond to destroy everything that makes the club special, the players do everything in their power to keep it together. In 10, 15, 20 years time when the reign of Bartomeu's board is consigned to the history books as the darkest chapter, the club will be in good hands with the likes of Pique, Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta and Messi around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

So RAC1 say Neymar now more likely to stay with Barcelona rather than leave, and without a pay rise due to the persuasion of teammates. If that turns out to be the case chalk it up as another incredible victory for this bunch. The board go above and beyond to destroy everything that makes the club special, the players do everything in their power to keep it together. In 10, 15, 20 years time when the reign of Bartomeu's board is consigned to the history books as the darkest chapter, the club will be in good hands with the likes of Pique, Xavi, Busquets, Iniesta and Messi around.

Isn't the board elected by the fans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Wait. Where did Barca finish up in La Liga?

I remember a period before Frank where they were regular mid table also rans.

You need to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I remember a period before Frank where they were regular mid table also rans.

The lowest they finished was 6th once. Other than that it was fairly solid 4th to 1st. Last time they finished mid table was the 40's based on a quick Google search.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

6th? In a two horse race?
    Is that even possible?

ERG89 wrote: »
    The lowest they finished was 6th once. Other than that it was fairly solid 4th to 1st. Last time they finished mid table was the 40's based on a quick Google search.

I'm sorry but finishing 6th in La Liga in the late 90s is an abysmal result for a club like Barcelona and far darker a period of their history than the last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I'm sorry but finishing 6th in La Liga in the late 90s is an abysmal result for a club like Barcelona and far darker a period of their history than the last few seasons.

Yes, but doing it once doesnt make you mid table also ran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Isn't the board elected by the fans?

They're not true fans though.True fans of Barca live in Ireland and care more about the Barca way and Catalonia than anyone living in Barcelona ever could.:D

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Yes, but doing it once doesnt make you mid table also ran

In liga finishing outside the top Two makes you also rans considering how TV rights work in Spain. Barcelona were a second tier European side for several years before Rijkaard took over. The fact that average players like Guardiola are the ones being Romanticised from that period of the clubs history confirms it.

They're not true fans though.True fans of Barca live in Ireland and care more about the Barca way and Catalonia than anyone living in Barcelona ever could.:D

I don't think anybody is saying that. Though at the same time how many of the socios actually vote? I'd say not enough. Equally Bartomeu's snap election call, while initially seemed like an impossible task for him to win, turned out to be perfectly timed with Barcelona just coming off a historic treble win and Bartomeu guaranteeing Enrique's continued tenure as Barcelona head coach. If there were an election tomorrow I'm not so sure the results would be anywhere near as clear cut.

• Advertisement

In liga finishing outside the top Two makes you also rans considering how TV rights work in Spain. Barcelona were a second tier European side for several years before Rijkaard took over. The fact that average players like Guardiola are the ones being Romanticised from that period of the clubs history confirms it.

The mere fact that you classify Pep Guardiola as an average player tells me pretty much everything I need to know about you.

FC Barcelona is the most successful club in Spanish football, it's one of the great European clubs with a long, distinguished and unique history and holds a very special cultural significance to Catalonia. A second tier club? Absolutely laughable.

I don't think anybody is saying that. Though at the same time how many of the socios actually vote? I'd say not enough. Equally Bartomeu's snap election call, while initially seemed like an impossible task for him to win, turned out to be perfectly timed with Barcelona just coming off a historic treble win and Bartomeu guaranteeing Enrique's continued tenure as Barcelona head coach. If there were an election tomorrow I'm not so sure the results would be anywhere near as clear cut.

Thats their own fault though.

If you are a member and you have voting rights and you actually care then you should be getting out and voting.

Thats their own fault though.

If you are a member and you have voting rights and you actually care then you should be getting out and voting.

I don't disagree at all. Though the timing of the last election really was the key of it. Ultimately this board will be viewed as the worst in living memory.

The mere fact that you classify Pep Guardiola as an average player tells me pretty much everything I need to know about you.

FC Barcelona is the most successful club in Spanish football, it's one of the great European clubs with a long, distinguished and unique history and holds a very special cultural significance to Catalonia. A second tier club? Absolutely laughable.

The fact that they were totally irrelevant in European competition for several years and struggling to even qualify for the group stages of the champions league with Pep as their best player proves all of my points.

Your statement about the current state of the club is hyperbolic in the extreme, the period before Rijkaard was far worse and Pep finished his career playing for a lower half of the tables club is Serie A after a lack luster season with Roma when he should have been in his prime because he wasn't all that good.

You lack any sort of ability to be rational in your discussion of Barcelona.

Pep at his best would struggle to make the bench for Barcelona's current squad.
    He also struggled to make the Spanish squad in a period of Spanish international football when they were pretty crap and over a long career amassed a dire 42 caps, Many from the bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

And here we go with a shiny new contract on the way........

https://twitter.com/marcelobechler/status/888825013088006145

"Neymar having doubts about PSG after intense lobbying by Barca players".

zerks wrote: »

At least they are tapping up players they own this time :)

If I was Barca I'd want rid of Neymar if PSG are willing to pay his release clause.

You could rebuild the entire defence and midfield which they really need to do and losing Neymar means instead of beating teams by 3 goals you win by 2 goals.

Messi and Suarez up front together are great as they are, Neymar doesn't provide a whole lot of added value for this Barcelona team when you have Messi and Suarez.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    At least they are tapping up players they own this time :)

A Liverpool fan talking about tapping up players given their youth transfer ban and grovelling apology to Southampton for tapping up Van Dijk is irony of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

FC Barcelona is the most successful club in Spanish football

Not sure how you reached this conclusion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

A Liverpool fan talking about tapping up players given their youth transfer ban and grovelling apology to Southampton for tapping up Van Dijk is irony of the highest order.

Pep and Man City have been at it a fair bit as well though

He made me lol :pac:
    I agreed with him saying finishing outside the top two is a disaster though, but then the Pep comment :pac:

I have always been an AndersonisGod fan and feel it is his destiny to become a full time poster in the Liverpool thread along with greats such as BorneTobyWilde and 5starpool. I want him to come join us in the Liverpool thread

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Todd Gack wrote: »
    Not sure how you reached this conclusion

Number of trophies I imagine. Disregarding that Madrid have more of the important ones...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He was never going to leave.

A poor attempt by him or his father to get more cash, what they need to do next time is obtain the services of Paul Stretford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Kolarov officially announced as a Roma player.In a unique fashion.

https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/888873801831727104

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

He starts for barca in 10 mins,hardly moving clubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Kolarov officially announced as a Roma player.In a unique fashion.

https://twitter.com/ASRomaEN/status/888873801831727104

Best one yet. These announcements are a guilty pleasure of mine to be honest. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is ridiculous.
    The guy might be a fan of a club but he wasn't involved in tapping up any players.
    Its laughable that you'd call it irony because a club he supports did something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Andersonisgod has no apparent sense of humour or proportion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

martyos121 wrote: »
    Best one yet. These announcements are a guilty pleasure of mine to be honest. :o

I hate modern football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Number of trophies I imagine. Disregarding that Madrid have more of the important ones...

Ah the old Linfield/Rangers trick; two clubs who claim to be the most successful in the world, obviously equating a gold medal in the egg and spoon with a CL win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Danilo to City done deal.. 5 year contract

Reports of 26.5 mill sterling fee

• martyos121 wrote: »

I like the ones that take the piss out of the ****ty genuine ones

If ya catch my drift

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Danilo to City done deal.. 5 year contract

Reports of 26.5 mill sterling fee

Seems nearly cheap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

POKERKING wrote: »
    Seems nearly cheap!

A new City defender that didn't cost £50mill plus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A new City defender that didn't cost £50mill plus!
    They'll start a new trend if they're not careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

POKERKING wrote: »
    Seems nearly cheap!
    As pikey Mickey says in Snatch: "I'd lose more than that running for the bus"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I like the ones that take the piss out of the ****ty genuine ones

If ya catch my drift

The Defrel one was just imitating Taylor. Southamptons one wont be beaten.

Rafa Hernandez says that Marcelo Belcher says Neymar will sign a new contract at Barcelona. If we are going on last night, Neymar playing in this Valverde team will be absolutely fearsome! Some press attributing Neymar staying to Gerard Pique, who is destined to be Barca President in an official capacity in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rafa Hernandez says that Marcelo Belcher

Who are those people???

• Advertisement
Advertisement