Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    Oops.

Looks like Pique didn't announce that Neymar is staying. He now claims that it's just his opinion and ultimately it's up to Neymar to make the decision. Disgusting antics from Pique to cause such public confusion and attempt to make it more difficult for Neymar to leave.

Future Barca presidential behavior indeed.

Pique, and the other captains, go above and beyond for the betterment of the club, including in this whole Neymar thing. Not only are they one pf a kind on the pitch but they are a remarkable bunch off it too. Other clubs would kill to have players with their character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Problem is they do the same with players they want to sign but are still at another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya, wasnt it Pique and Puyol bundling Cesc into a Barca jersey after the WC win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, wasnt it Pique and Puyol bundling Cesc into a Barca jersey after the WC win?

Could you imagine if a premier league club did that it would be crucified. That was such a cringe moment and was the height of disrespect to arsenal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

The "funny" thing about that was, it was Pepe Reina who was at Liverpool (ex Barcelona) at the time and one other of Pique or Puyol who did that to Fabregas. Have had a disliking for Barcelona ever since, their fawning over Fabregas for a few years was borderline creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Pique, and the other captains, go above and beyond for the betterment of the club, including in this whole Neymar thing. Not only are they one pf a kind on the pitch but they are a remarkable bunch off it too. Other clubs would kill to have players with their character.

Begging a player to stay and making false claims on social media about the matter sort of devalues the club TBH. Embarrassing behavior.

Nauseating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

No different to players at any other club, and it's delusional to think otherwise.

The Neymar pic was a publicity stunt.

The only thing different is their players are so arrogant that they talk openly in the media about a player from another club that they want. It's utterly brazen.

Renato Sanches is meant to be off to AC Milan.

• Advertisement

The "funny" thing about that was, it was Pepe Reina who was at Liverpool (ex Barcelona) at the time and one other of Pique or Puyol who did that to Fabregas. Have had a disliking for Barcelona ever since, their fawning over Fabregas for a few years was borderline creepy.

I'm surprised they havent come back for Bellerin and pleaded to his Barca DNA to re-join and sort out their right sided problems.

Although the way prices are going now a days, if Kyle Walker is going for 50m, Bellerin would be worth more, IMO and Barca I dont think can afford those kind of crazy prices.

They need the player to push a transfer and hopefully make it cheap as possbile for them with their crippling wage costs going up and up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/ronald-koeman-claims-ross-barkley-will-100-per-cent-leave-everton-this-summer-35970403.html

Koeman claims that Barkley told him he 'wants a new challenge' and adds that the player 'will 100% leave Everton this summer.'

Now they just need to find someone to pay for him...

Given what he'd cost, I reckon the number of suitors may be slightly diminished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/ronald-koeman-claims-ross-barkley-will-100-per-cent-leave-everton-this-summer-35970403.html

Koeman claims that Barkley told him he 'wants a new challenge' and adds that the player 'will 100% leave Everton this summer.'

Given what he'd cost, I reckon the number of suitors may be slightly diminished.

Hope we swap him for siggy. If he was as good as he thinks he is he'd be some player.

50m seems to be the new 20m so I'm going to take a stab that of all the teams above Everton, Spurs are the only ones likely to buy him.

Theyve not brought in anyone and have a hefty amount of money in the bank but I dont think Barkley is good enough for any of the sides in the top 6 to be consistent starter, IMO anyway and couple that with his price tag, not many will take the gamble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

50m seems to be the new 20m so I'm going to take a stab that of all the teams above Everton, Spurs are the only ones likely to buy him.

Theyve not brought in anyone and have a hefty amount of money in the bank but I dont think Barkley is good enough for any of the sides in the top 6 to be consistent starter, IMO anyway and couple that with his price tag, not many will take the gamble.

I agree with every word of that.

Wonder if he'd go overseas? Or if he was to, would anyone be interested?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Not a hope of starting, if Spurs offload Sissoko I imagine they'd take Barkley to keep up the numbers and back-up Alli.

• Advertisement

I agree with every word of that.

Wonder if he'd go overseas? Or if he was to, would anyone be interested?

Evertons insistance of a big fee and his wages would put off I'd say all but the biggest of European sides and if hes not good enough for the top 6 in the PL, hes nowhere near good enough for the big team sin Europe that could afford him.

He might want a challenge but I'm not sure if theres a market for him, City, maybe a few years ago would have bought him to keep up their HG qouta but I cant see it happening now.

If he was a 15/20m pound option, I'd take him at Chelsea but thats not going to happen in this window at that price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Didn't realise Barkley only has a year left on his current deal. Might be available at a decent enough price by the end of the summer.

Johner wrote: »
    Didn't realise Barkley only has a year left on his current deal. Might be available at a decent enough price by the end of the summer.

He'll also just be old enough to avoid a tribunal setting a fee if he wanted to leave for nothing next summer.

In a world cup year and with England having several good options in his position, leaving to sit on the bench at a bigger club might be a bad call by Barkley.

Barkley is now not good enough for the Everton team or any of the 6 teams above Everton. He might have to go to West ham or somewhere similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Barkley is now not good enough for the Everton team or any of the 6 teams above Everton. He might have to go to West ham or somewhere similar

It's amazing too when you think just what a talent we all thought he would be when he first came on the scene.

There's probably still a great player in there, and maybe with the right manager and right players around him he can realise his undoubted talent.

• Advertisement

Well if Everton do get Siguridsson, he will bring more goals and assists to the table than Barkley, who seems to get in and around 5 league goals a year which really isnt good enough, IMO.

If he leaves this window it will be interesting to see what Everton get for him and from who, I agree on the West Ham part, he may have to take a slight drop or side ways move but maybe he feels he can push on and play at a higher level.

Barkley has gone backwards. Was always overrated by the English press anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

If Coutinho leaves, maybe Barkley takes short walk across town :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I'm surprised they havent come back for Bellerin and pleaded to his Barca DNA to re-join and sort out their right sided problems.

Although the way prices are going now a days, if Kyle Walker is going for 50m, Bellerin would be worth more, IMO and Barca I dont think can afford those kind of crazy prices.

They need the player to push a transfer and hopefully make it cheap as possbile for them with their crippling wage costs going up and up.

they were at it but he wasn't for sale, arsenal sent them a letter warning them they'd report them for tapping up if didn't stop it. barca then signed the other lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

irishman86 wrote: »
    If Coutinho leaves, maybe Barkley takes short walk across town :pac:

Across the river to tranmere. Barkley no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Barkley bought his own hype when he refused to sign the contract, he thought "bigger" clubs would flock to him. He is surplus to Evertons requirements and has no suitor. Quite amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Barkley togging out next season for Everton and happily signing a new contract before the year is out. We've been here loads of times before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Arghus wrote: »
    Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Barkley togging out next season for Everton and happily signing a new contract before the year is out. We've been here loads of times before.

I think there is a good chance he stays this season but don't think he signs a new deal.Plenty of club will take him on a free next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

yabadabado wrote: »
    I think there is a good chance he stays this season but don't think he signs a new deal.Plenty of club will take him on a free next summer.

Very few players take the risk, get a bad injury and he could be left high and dry

sword1 wrote: »
    Very few players take the risk, get a bad injury and he could be left high and dry

Unlikely he'll get injured because koeman probably won't play him and why should he? Leave him on his low wage and a season playing for the under 23's. He's looking 150k a week I heard. Laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

If Barkley does stay at Everton for the season Koeman could be gone before him.

He either has a great season a jumps ship which he has a history of doing or he has a terrible start to the season after spending so much money he is sacked which he also has a history of being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I reckon players like Barkley don't say these kind of things without having something in the pipeline.

I'd wager he'll move somewhere for guaranteed first team football in the hopes of getting to the world cup. He knows koeman doesn't really rate him and Rooney will take over the Barkley rotation imo

Crystal palace be an ideal option cos he gets to move to London innit.

Strikes me as the kind of player whod prefer that than say Southampton

He either has a great season a jumps ship which he has a history of doing or he has a terrible start to the season after spending so much money he is sacked which he also has a history of being.

Seeing Koeman's\Everton's first 6 fixtures, i think a terrible start will be forgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

So either way he's gone then?

Sure

inforfun wrote: »
    Seeing Koeman's\Everton's first 6 fixtures, i think a terrible start will be forgiven.

Stoke H
    City A
    Chelsea A
    Spurs H
    United A
    Bournemouth H

That's brutal isn't it. They should beat Stoke handy enough at home, but the other 5 games are awful fixtures for them. 3 aways and a home against Spurs.

I'd say they'll do well to get more than 7 points from those 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

Jayop wrote: »
    Stoke H
    City A
    Chelsea A
    Notts County A
    Spurs H
    United A

That's brutal isn't it. They should beat Stoke handy enough at home, but the other 5 games are awful fixtures for them. 4 aways and a home against Spurs.

I'd say they'll do well to get more than 7 points from those 6.
    is notts county in the cup

votecounts wrote: »
    is notts county in the cup

Jesus I'm a moron. Yep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I reckon players like Barkley don't say these kind of things without having something in the pipeline.

I'd wager he'll move somewhere for guaranteed first team football in the hopes of getting to the world cup. He knows koeman doesn't really rate him and Rooney will take over the Barkley rotation imo

Crystal palace be an ideal option cos he gets to move to London innit.

Strikes me as the kind of player whod prefer that than say Southampton

Jesus either would be a massive drop from where most would have predicted he would end up when he first came to the fray

Stoke H W
    City A D
    Chelsea L
    Spurs H D
    United A D
    Bournemouth W

Everton's results against those teams last season.

No reason to fear any of those teams.

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Stoke H W
    City A D
    Chelsea L
    Spurs H D
    United A D
    Bournemouth W

Stoke - a lucky own goal
    City - Lukaku scored to earn draw
    Bournouth Lukaku scored 4 in game

so from the 9 points in those games, one win was from an OG, and Lukaku who's not there now earned 4.

They got 9 in those games last year. I don't think they'll get more than 7 this year. 2 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses.

Hardly outlandish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Stoke H W
    City A D
    Chelsea L
    Spurs H D
    United A D
    Bournemouth W

Stoke - a lucky own goal

so from the 9 points in those games, one win was from an OG, and Lukaku who's not there now earned 4.

They got 9 in those games last year. I don't think they'll get more than 7 this year. 2 wins, 1 draw and 3 losses.

Hardly outlandish.

How they got a point at city i will never know, two missed pens and about 20 saves from staklenberg who played his only decent game...typical!!

Stoke - a lucky own goal

Hardly outlandish.

Mad logic. You know Everton have already signed 2 strikers to replace lukaku and will sign another one. There's a possibility one of those players will score v city and Bournemouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Stoke - a lucky own goal

Hardly outlandish.

Would this logic not affect United more? Zlatan got so many important goals (or what seemed like important goals) last season for you then surely you won't do as well in the games he got you vital points?

Edit: I see someone else was thinking along the same lines.

Mad logic. You know Everton have already signed 2 strikers to replace lukaku and will sign another one. There's a possibility one of those players will score v city and Bournemouth
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    Would this logic not affect United more? Zlatan got so many important goals (or what seemed like important goals) last season for you then surely you won't do as well in the games he got you vital points?

Edit: I see someone else was thinking along the same lines.

They signed a guy who scored 14 goals in La Liga and Rooney who's scored 13 league goals in 2 seasons to replace a guy who scored 25 league goals last season. Yeah I think it's reasonable to expect a fall off in their performances.

Yeah United lost Zlatan, but we signed someone much younger with a similar scoring rate. I'd expect Lukaku to fill the gap we had better than the players everton signed to fill their gap.

Of course someone could score a goal to get a draw with City, but without their best player by a mile from last season who scored 46% of their league goals it's much less likely. Hardly a massive leap of logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Of course someone could score a goal to get a draw with City, but without their best player by a mile from last season who scored 46% of their league goals it's much less likely. Hardly a massive leap of logic.

46% of our league goals and if you take away all of them we still finished 7th.

Stoke H W
    City A L
    Chelsea L
    Spurs H D
    United A L
    Bournemouth W

I agree tho I think 7 points is around expected. Losing at stoke opening game would be diabolical start tbh.

• Advertisement

Stoke H W
    City A L
    Chelsea L
    Spurs H D
    United A L
    Bournemouth W

I agree tho I think 7 points is around expected. Losing at stoke opening game would be diabolical start tbh.

I've been very complimentary of your signings this summer, some very astute buys and more to come. I also think Rooney will get a decent haul there. You'll certainly not drop down the table and I'd expect you to push hard at the teams above you, but Lukaku is undoubtedly a huge loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Stoke H W
    City A L
    Chelsea L
    Spurs H D
    United A L
    Bournemouth W

Not even the best striker in the league would have changed Everton's league position as you finished some 15 points behind team above you.

IIRC Lukaku's goals won you 9 points, best is Kane with 13 points. So yeah even the best striker in the league wouldn't have changed Everton's position because they were far too below ManUtd.

Can we end all the "X played for 12 games last season and won 5.75 points".

It's just so speculative as to be useless analysis of a player or team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If the same player misses a pen or a sitter and the team draws or loses, does that count as points dropped?

Football is just not that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

An article on a few bargains this summer.

Best part is the "looks silly compared to" section, where they compare the player with one that cost significantly more or is being valued at a price way higher. No surprises that all these players are in PL! :P

http://www.football365.com/news/six-european-bargain-summer-transfers

• Advertisement
Advertisement