Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

^^^^^
    Hector Moreno

Going from: PSV Eindhoven

Going to: Roma

Price: £5.3m

Why is it a bargain?
    Roma’s best signing of the summer might be sporting director Monchi from Sevilla, and the Spaniard has already started doing his thing in Rome. There was reported interest from Newcastle and Everton in Mexico international Moreno, who can play both in central defence and at left-back, and even at 29 is more than worth his four-year contract. Way to get that Monchi off your back.

Looks silly next to: Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal reportedly holding out for £15m)

Also looks silly because they are comparing a central defender to a left back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

inforfun wrote: »
    ^^^^^

Also looks silly because they are comparing a central defender to a left back.

Haha to be fair they did say "who can play both in central defence and at left-back" although he's only played a handful of times at LB.

Although they probably didn't want to use Gibson again :pac:

Must have been at u15 level he played left back because i cant remember seeing him even once at PSV at left back.
    I think they pulled that one out of their arse, just to be able to use Gibbs.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Comparing the bargains to transfers that havent actually happened seems silly itself.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

And what also got the price down for Moreno is the fact that PSV really wanted him and Guardado of the pay roll. They paid them silly money, for eredivisie standards.

inforfun wrote: »
    Must have been at u15 level he played left back because i cant remember seeing him even once at PSV at left back.
    I think they pulled that one out of their arse, just to be able to use Gibbs.

He played left back 3 times last season for PSV. Not an awful amount, they are clutching at straws.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Comparing the bargains to transfers that havent actually happened seems silly itself.

Well some are transfers that have happened others are players market value at the moment, or what is being demanded by their club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

F365's standards have gone through the floor since they left the Sky umbrella. They're nothing more that a click bait site these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

Can we end all the "X played for 12 games last season and won 5.75 points".

It's just so speculative as to be useless analysis of a player or team.

It's one of the best ways to measure how clutch a player is. It's far from perfect and his subject to high variance but it's an interesting piece of data nonetheless.

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    It's one of the best ways to measure how clutch a player is. It's far from perfect and his subject to high variance but it's an interesting piece of data nonetheless.

It seems to me that it's not data at all. It's subjective opinion.

How many points was, say, Kanté worth to Chelsea last season? Oh he didn't score many? Does that mean not worth so many points? Not "clutch" (which is a phrase I actually usually hear in connection with individual sports, or sports that typically come down to the last few minutes like basketball)? Who it the clutchiest defender and what is the "high variance" between them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

F365's standards have gone through the floor since they left the Sky umbrella. They're nothing more that a click bait site these days.

For sure. I find their holier than thou liberal lefty articles quite sickening also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Agreed - this article is a nothing piece that reads like it was written just get that awful "Monchi off your back" pun in. Especially when you get to the last one and they admit to not being familiar with the player. I mean, leave it out then, surely?

Storey is a god awful writer who won some public vote for best writer last year and he has absolutely let it go to his head.

Far more fun, I think, is Planet Football or the Set Pieces. They dispensed with the 'news' sections (because F365 are just pulling from Sky etc anyway because they don't have the money for actual reporters) and just focus on nostalgia pieces, think pieces, blog posts, etc. Not all the content is good by any stretch but it is a lot of what F365 used to do well and now don't.

Anyway - back to the transfer talk!!

Nice's Jean Micheal Seri is in the back pages today, linked with a €36m move to Arsenal. Potential alternative to Keita for Liverpool? Though Im worried that Klopp is so stubborn that he'll just flat out refuse to accept an alternative and leave the squad short in numbers instead because nobody bought into his vision enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Seri had a very impressive season for Nice last year, always shone in any game I saw him. Could be what Arsenal need as he's more of a box-to-box midfielder, iirc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Hierro_4

It seems to me that it's not data at all. It's subjective opinion.

How many points was, say, Kantorth to Chelsea last season? Oh he didn't score many? Does that mean not worth so many points? Not "clutch" (which is a phrase I actually usually hear in connection with individual sports, or sports that typically come down to the last few minutes like basketball)? Who it the clutchiest defender and what is the "high variance" between them?

It obviously makes sense that the 'points won by goals' metric should only applies to players who's job is to actually score goals. Kante doesn't apply here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    It obviously makes sense that the 'points won by goals' metric should only applies to players who's job is to actually score goals. Kante doesn't apply here.

Fair fcuks deducing Kantorth is Kanté's lesser known alter ego. Hadn't a notion who he was on about ha.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Fair fcuks deducing Kantorth is Kanté's lesser known alter ego. Hadn't a notion who he was on about ha.

Kante worth! Dunno what happened, don't even have the "tablet" excuse as on a computer at work.

Still think it's just impossible to say any player is worth any number of points over something as variable as an entire league season with something as large as a squad of players around him, and variables like managerial competency at getting the best out of him, off field issues etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Agreed - this article is a nothing piece that reads like it was written just get that awful "Monchi off your back" pun in. Especially when you get to the last one and they admit to not being familiar with the player. I mean, leave it out then, surely?

Storey is a god awful writer who won some public vote for best writer last year and he has absolutely let it go to his head.

Far more fun, I think, is Planet Football or the Set Pieces. They dispensed with the 'news' sections (because F365 are just pulling from Sky etc anyway because they don't have the money for actual reporters) and just focus on nostalgia pieces, think pieces, blog posts, etc. Not all the content is good by any stretch but it is a lot of what F365 used to do well and now don't.

Anyway - back to the transfer talk!!

Nice's Jean Micheal Seri is in the back pages today, linked with a €36m move to Arsenal. Potential alternative to Keita for Liverpool? Though Im worried that Klopp is so stubborn that he'll just flat out refuse to accept an alternative and leave the squad short in numbers instead because nobody bought into his vision enough.

Disagree Storey is an excellent writer.

Its a light hearted piece at a time when theres abs fcuk all to talk about, it sure beats a dormant site or something with made up transfer rumours.

I actually think it has improved since they left sky. I hate sky having a piece of anything that i read as i want to have an unbiased opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Just wondering what type of midfielder is Keita lad Liverpool are after?

Looked up his playing style and last season in Bundesliga he played most matches in CDM position but I was talking to two Liverpool fans and they think he is an attacking midfielder?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Looked up his playing style and last season in Bundesliga he played most matches in CDM position but I was talking to two Liverpool fans and they think he is an attacking midfielder?

This shows just how clueless they are about him. Hes similar to Dembele at Spurs or a poor mans version of Pogba. Has a nice dribble and gets a few goals although he did get two in the first three games last season so Im not sure he will get double figures again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In short he is a Box to box player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

irishman86 wrote: »
    This shows just how clueless they are about him. Hes similar to Dembele at Spurs or a poor mans version of Pogba. Has a nice dribble and gets a few goals although he did get two in the first three games last season so Im not sure he will get double figures again

:rolleyes: Seriously take the goggles off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

irishman86 wrote: »

If some of those shots he took went in he'd be better

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    If some of those shots he took went in he'd be better

And not just wide, he hit the woodwork 36 times. If only 67% of them went in, he'd have been worth 19.5 points to his club, as opposed to the 13.33 which we have scientifically accredited to him.

:rolleyes: Seriously take the goggles off.

Is Irishman a United fan? I didn't think he was and I thought he clarified that before?

Anyways that phrase is absolutely awful and I doubt a genuine football fan would call him a "poor mans anyone".

He has had a cracking season and looks a brilliant talent, my only negative would be for the price he has relatively little(1 year)to no experience at the highest level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

astradave wrote: »
    Is Irishman a United fan? I didn't think he was and I thought he clarified that before?

Anyways that phrase is absolutely awful and I doubt a genuine football fan would call him a "poor mans anyone".

He has had a cracking season and looks a brilliant talent, my only negative would be for the price he has relatively little(1 year)to no experience at the highest level

Thats not stopping Madrid and a host of other clubs chasing Mbappe though. :o

The market, as we all know is seriously over inflated in terms of fees and valuations so nothing a player goes for now, regardless of talent or senior appearances, will shock me at this stage.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats not stopping Madrid and a host of other clubs chasing Mbappe though. :o

The market, as we all know is seriously over inflated in terms of fees and valuations so nothing a player goes for now, regardless of talent or senior appearances, will shock me at this stage.

Tbf I think the exact same for Mbappe and I doubt I'm the only one. Imagine if Mbappe moves for the reported 150m and he doesn't make the step up in an absolute cauldron at Real. They would probably need another bailout by the Spanish govt :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Didn't Madrid sign a 16 year old from Brazil last month for £40m.

The bubble really needs to burst. But it won't.
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nainggolan has signed a new contract with Roma. At 29 I imagine the ship may have sailed on a move for him, still a v.good player imo.
    Ricardo Centurion has joined Genoa. Good player (enough to get praise from Roberto Baggio) but has a lot of baggage too.
    Renato Sanches is being linked to Chelsea now by Bayern who are throwing his name out as much as his agent. He can only leave on loan now too.

Didn't Madrid sign a 16 year old from Brazil last month for £40m.

The bubble really needs to burst. But it won't.
    giphy.gif

They signed Martin Odegaard a few years ago for about 5m and mad wages, circa 80k a week, apparently.

In todays market, he probably would have went for 40m too after his early promise. Think hes on loan from Madrid now though.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Nainggolan has signed a new contract with Roma. At 29 I imagine the ship may have sailed on a move for him, still a v.good player imo.
    Ricardo Centurion has joined Genoa. Good player (enough to get praise from Roberto Baggio) but has a lot of baggage too.
    Renato Sanches is being linked to Chelsea now by Bayern who are throwing his name out as much as his agent. He can only leave on loan now too.

A couple of journos are running that story but in a WC year, I dont think him swapping Bayerns bench for Chelseas is any help to the lad, I'd take him, I think hes a talented player but I dont think he, nor Chelsea, would get the benefit of a 12 month loan. Hes better off going somewhere he'll start every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Get Coutinho, get Verratti or Ousmane Dembele, get Neymar out of the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

It's Pique announcing Neymar as staying, rightly so considering it's Pique that seems to have to mop up all the damage this Barcelona board does. To paraphrase a few tweets I've seen, why does Pique have to do everything? And it's essentially Pique and Messi holding Barcelona together. It'll be a happy day when Pique is actually president of the club.

Anyway, ye, Neymar stays.

How fast things can change.

Neymar is nearly as irreplaceable as Messi for Barca.

If they want to have any success in the following 3-5 years, they have to keep him at all costs, none of those players are fit to lace his boots and give that La Masia has stopped producing or at least Barca have stopped bringing talent through, theyre in a position to be blown away by Madrid for the foreseeable future, IMO.

Goodwill of the players and his performances generally have kept most fans onside but his unwillingness to comment on the rumours, to draw it out this summer like last summer and now trying to engineer a move away by having a bust up with a young guy that's just joined the club is unacceptable. He's an amazing talent, but Barcelona have lost amazing talents before and emerged even stronger, and that was without having Messi too. Get all the money we can, get rid of him, get players who want to be at Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

200w.gif

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Assume the last few posts are reffering to this, but in case anyone missed it

Neymar storms out of Barcelona training after clashing with team-mate
    • Brazilian was involved in clash with new Barça signing Nélson Semedo
    • Barcelona president says he is powerless to stop Neymar leaving for PSG

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/28/neymar-barcelona-training-paris-saint-germain

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Assume the last few posts are reffering to this, but in case anyone missed it

Neymar storms out of Barcelona training after clashing with team-mate
    • Brazilian was involved in clash with new Barça signing Nélson Semedo
    • Barcelona president says he is powerless to stop Neymar leaving for PSG

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/28/neymar-barcelona-training-paris-saint-germain

He may have shouted at Valverde as he left the training ground. Indefensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Get Coutinho, get Verratti or Ousmane Dembele, get Neymar out of the club.

I think it's Neymar's da who is the biggest problem there.I'm sure if Neymar had a decent agent there'd be no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Mikel Merino completes season long loan to Newcastle from Dortmund.

• Always good for a laugh on a Friday

• Advertisement

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    Neymar is nearly as irreplaceable as Messi for Barca.

If they want to have any success in the following 3-5 years, they have to keep him at all costs, none of those players are fit to lace his boots and give that La Masia has stopped producing or at least Barca have stopped bringing talent through, theyre in a position to be blown away by Madrid for the foreseeable future, IMO.

I'd Argue he was Bacalonas best player in the Champions league last year. Surpassing Messi even.
    If they lose him it would be a killer blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

M!Ck^ wrote:
    I'd Argue he was Bacalonas best player in the Champions league last year. Surpassing Messi even. If they lose him it would be a killer blow.

He was very good in the second leg vs PSG but other than that I don't remember him doing much. Even his goal return domestically was far lower than it should be.
    He's a very talented player but he's just not going to surpass Messi ever tbh. If he wins Ligue 1 nobody will look at it as an achievement as Monaco sold most of their team now. PSG probably blew a few good chances at pushing on in Europe against Chelsea, City & Barca. They have a good team now but aren't good enough defensively & in midfield.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I'd Argue he was Bacalonas best player in the Champions league last year. Surpassing Messi even.
    If they lose him it would be a killer blow.

Did you see the Barcelona side that played Man Utd a couple of days ago? Even sans Neymar it's an amazing and unique team. Spend the Neymar money onnthe right players and they'll again be in contention for every trophy. Killer blow? Hardly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Did you see the Barcelona side that played Man Utd a couple of days ago? Even sans Neymar it's an amazing and unique team. Spend the Neymar money onnthe right players and they'll again be in contention for every trophy. Killer blow? Hardly.

Any word on who Messi will be bringing in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Messi dragged that Barca side all season. One killer game in the CL doesn't mean much. Neymar was **** for a good portion of the season.

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Any word on who Messi will be bringing in?

Hopefully he'll nab Verratti if this Neymar deal goes through. Coutinho looks likely too. Pique will rubber stamp the deals.

• ERG89 wrote: »
    He was very good in the second leg vs PSG but other than that I don't remember him doing much. Even his goal return domestically was far lower than it should be.
    He's a very talented player but he's just not going to surpass Messi ever tbh. If he wins Ligue 1 nobody will look at it as an achievement as Monaco sold most of their team now. PSG probably blew a few good chances at pushing on in Europe against Chelsea, City & Barca. They have a good team now but aren't good enough defensively & in midfield.

Neymar had the most assists out of any player in the CL. I believe he broke a record. Add to that his 4 goals.
    I'm not suggesting he currently is an all round better player than Messi. I just think he was more influential for Barca in that competition and in particular in the latter stages.
    A killer blow indeed if he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Hopefully he'll nab Verratti if this Neymar deal goes through. Coutinho looks likely too. Pique will rubber stamp the deals.

Could a change of formation be considered within the need to play the Neymar/Suarez/Messi?

If they use the money wisely it could be a good thing for them, they dont exactly have a stellar record in the transfer market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Coutinho looks likely too.

I would have said that deal was highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Could a change of formation be considered within the need to play the Neymar/Suarez/Messi?

If they use the money wisely it could be a good thing for them, they dont exactly have a stellar record in the transfer market

Maybe, though it'll almost always be a variation of 4-3-3 or 3-4-3.

I'd agree, done right there's a chance to make the starting 11 and squad stronger.

Advertisement