Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Load of bollox, pro-Barca media trying to unsettle the player. The money 100m plus is absolutely useless to Liverpool too, they are trying all summer to spend £130m on Keita and Van Dijk and can't get either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So I wonder when with Zidane's comments a few days ago were taken by the media that Bale would be leaving did he really mean Ronnie would leaving instead while getting sent down for a few years for tax evasion and not Bale leaving at all.

I'm surprised Ronnie isn't throwing a I'm leaving temper tantrum before heading into court today.

• Not to stray this off topic but is Ronaldos court hearing today?

Bale won't be going anywhere, all waffle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Court hearing is at 11am I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mourinho "I will not talk about a player at another club,it's disrespectful"

Mourinho on matic . " He very much wants to leave and join man utd"

No tapping up there at alllll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

His sly comments and gestures on Conte's hair as well show the measure of the man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Except for the fact that Matic is supposed to have done his medical yesterday morning. He is a Manchester United player now. And unlike the van Dijk, Coutinho, Mbappe etc. deals Matic was clearly up for sale.

I was gunna say the Coutinho to Barca is rubbish, but then I remembered I thought Neymar was utter rubbish so guess its a maybe? If people thought fees were bad before they are about to get far more crazy if Neymar moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

pjohnson wrote: »
    Except for the fact that Matic is supposed to have done his medical yesterday morning. He is a Manchester United player now

Funny,i must have missed that announcement,can u link it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

In fairness it was probably done, all the reporters had him doing a medical before that quote, a photo was leaked with him wearing United gear.

So nope, no tapping up there at all

It's also not tapping up if the clubs allow discussions with players, Chelsea have stated that they left Matic off tour so he can sort out his future, hence allowing to talk to other teams..

Don't let that get in the way of a good bitch about Mourinho though ;)

• Advertisement

Well you are on the internet so you're 90% of the way to finding it yourself. Yes you clearly missed yesterdays news entirely.

Anyway back to transfers, seems like PSG have put half their team up for sale. Will be interesting to see the fees

https://twitter.com/jon_legossip/status/891913065767350272

• His sly comments and gestures on Conte's hair as well show the measure of the man.

I lold
    Conte: If he is willing to give a dig be prepared to take one back

• astradave wrote: »
    Anyway back to transfers, seems like PSG have put half their team up for sale. Will be interesting to see the fees

https://twitter.com/jon_legossip/status/891913065767350272

Lucas Moura is an interesting one
    Utd should give PSG a shout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

His sly comments and gestures on Conte's hair as well show the measure of the man.
    Basically like how Klopp's comment about Sevilla/Ajax also show the measure of the man.

(they're called jokes)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Matic was worth £5m in 2011 , £21m in 2014 and is now worth £40m in 2017. I'd say Jose can't wait to sell him in 2020!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

jacool wrote: »
    Matic was worth £5m in 2011 , £21m in 2014 and is now worth £40m in 2017. I'd say Jose can't wait to sell him in 2020!
    Well, the slope of his incremental value is decreasing. He was worth 4 times as much as his previous value in 2014 and only twice as much this time. Given the current inflation for transfer fees, that's not great at all. Be lucky to get 40m in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Big transfer news

James Richardson & Producer Ben to leave football weekly to set up another podcast.

http://www.football365.com/news/exclusive-james-richardson-to-leave-guardian-football-weekly

Matic didnt even travel on tour with Chelsea, he was always going to be sold it just depended on who paid the most for him.

Similar to Costa although Matic was training in London while Costa is living the dream in Brazil. :pac:

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Matic didnt even travel on tour with Chelsea, he was always going to be sold it just depended on who paid the most for him.

Similar to Costa although Matic was training in London while Costa is living the dream in Brazil. :pac:

In an Atleti jersey :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

astradave wrote: »
    In fairness it was probably done, all the reporters had him doing a medical before that quote, a photo was leaked with him wearing United gear.

So nope, no tapping up there at all

id say every single player is tapped up these days one way or the other. i dont get why people seem to get so upset every single club is doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

sky88 wrote: »
    id say every single player is tapped up these days one way or the other. i dont get why people seem to get so upset every single club is doing it.

It's kind of telling that for the most part, club seem to have stopped giving much of a general s*** about it in recent years (at least from what I can see).

sky88 wrote: »

It probably does but trying to have a whinge about "tapping up" in a rare case where it literally could not have happened is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

They might only be talking to an international teammate who has been given instructions from his club to suss the player out and maybe even say he would get x in wages. It is impossible to police and some clubs go over the top then as it is the done thing. The transfer window is too long and whatever about unsettling players when the season is over there should be no possibility of a transfer after they start back playing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

His comments were a reply to what now :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Big transfer news

James Richardson & Producer Ben to leave football weekly to set up another podcast.

http://www.football365.com/news/exclusive-james-richardson-to-leave-guardian-football-weekly
    Worst transfer news of the summer.
    Breaking up the Richardson & Glendenning combo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

You have no idea what tapping up means, that much is very clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Big transfer news

Really hope Barry Glendenning makes an appearance with them too. Hopefully Max Rushden isn't the replacement on Football Weekly

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Someone forgot to tell Matic not to appear in Manchester United gear yesterday.
    Maybe Adidas mixed up their kits...

Matic will probably be announced today as he had his medical yesterday by all accounts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Lets be fair to the lad, he did say no tapping up there, so clearly he does know what tapping up is :pac:

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    Someone forgot to tell Matic not to appear in Manchester United gear yesterday.
    Maybe Adidas mixed up their kits...

Matic will probably be announced today as he had his medical yesterday by all accounts.

Chelsea are Nike now. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

David O'Leary years ago got in trouble and Villa charged with an illegal approach for him saying 'There's a player there who wants to join us', about James Beattie who was at Southampton at the time.

The F.A. will just make it up as they go along really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Well according to anywhere i have read about tapping up a manager publicly making a players name saying he wants to join is considered as tapping up :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Matic officially announced by United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Matic officially announced by United.

40m pounds for a 29 year old player who was being offloaded by his club smacks of desperation by United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

40m pounds for a 29 year old player who was being offloaded by his club smacks of desperation by United.

£35m and £5m add ons. In todays market that's not actually excessive. And he was apparently Mourinho's first choice, so not desperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well i don't think it smacks of desperation but it does seem like a lot of money, even in the current market, for a 29 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

And who are you a fan off ?.

As I think over the past few years he has been one of the best midfielders in England and never knock age.

Zatan at 35 for one year was one of the best signings in the last few years.

With speaking of age pirlo got better with age ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

£35m and £5m add ons. In todays market that's not actually excessive. And he was apparently Mourinho's first choice, so not desperation.

I thought United wanted the guy from Monaco as first choice? Fabhino I think. Or am I getting mixed up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I don't think so. There's some other players in the same role that were available for less, Fabinho for example. The fact we went for Matic over these younger options smacks of Jose knowing exactly who he needs to get the team playing the way he wants them. We've bought a lot of very young players the last few years so someone for such a key position that has winning experience in the league can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I thought United wanted the guy from Monaco as first choice? Fabhino I think. Or am I getting mixed up?

A lot fans were on about him to be fair but nothing concrete in the press in the last few months. He apparently wants to focus on the rb position aswell. A lot people on here wanted Fabinho bit we've not been linked at all really since end of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

duffman13 wrote: »
    A lot fans were on about him to be fair but nothing concrete in the press in the last few months. He apparently wants to focus on the rb position aswell. A lot people on here wanted Fabinho bit we've not been linked at all really since end of season.

Ah maybe that's what happened so. Matic isn't a bad signing and will be an improvement over Carrick last year so can't see to many United fans being unhappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Here we go again...... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'd be disappointed if i was a United fan and Matic is the DM that was brought in after some of the names floating about over the summer. Declined a lot last year and seems shy of the physical side for a tall fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Jose on Matic after subbing him off after 27 mins, one of those rare occasions where subs are subbed off and not injured.

“I do not do that to anyone in football and in life” he said, to some raised eyebrows. But he was happy to point out just how badly Matic was playing. “Some of [the players] are in a difficult moment, Matic is one of them,” he said. “He is not playing well. He is not the sharpest. He is not making good decisions with the ball.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

If he can recover form I think it's a fantastic signing for United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Jose on Matic after subbing him off after 27 mins, one of those rare occasions where subs are subbed off and not injured.

“I do not do that to anyone in football and in life” he said, to some raised eyebrows. But he was happy to point out just how badly Matic was playing. “Some of [the players] are in a difficult moment, Matic is one of them,” he said. “He is not playing well. He is not the sharpest. He is not making good decisions with the ball.”

Personally don't think the bolded bit is that bad. He's calling him out for not being on his best form, could be sharper etc but it isn't anything that seemingly either of them held against the other. It actually speaks volumes that Jose would be bringing him in having worked with him before. No doubt his budget would have allowed for them to go for other options but he chose Matic and no doubt has a very specific role in mind for his team that he knows from past experience that Matic could fill.

In todays market that price is what I would expect when two such teams trade a player good enough to start for them.

Who's next for Utd? will they move on from Perisic ?

Wow using a comment from years ago to discuss things in the present. I dont even think this is scraping the bottom of the barrel moreso than missing the barrel completely.

• Advertisement

Matic has declined slightly, hes slowed down a bit and is just not as close to the ball for tackles, interceptions as he once was. No idea why that is TBH but Kante was doing an awful lot of his work last year in CM.

That being said, Jose knows what hes getting and it wont take long for Matic to getup to speed with his new role and whats being asked of him, which is I'm assuming going to be a in a midfield 3 with him at the base and 2 others providing the leg work. If hes deployed in a midfield 2, I'd be more worried if I was Utd fan.

Its one of those deals that I think both parties can be happy with, Chelsea got Bakayoko for the 40m Utd are giving us and Utd are getting a player for a position and role they need whos got great PL experience. No brainer really and pretty low risk for Utd.

Advertisement