Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Personally don't think the bolded bit is that bad. He's calling him out for not being on his best form, could be sharper etc but it isn't anything that seemingly either of them held against the other. It actually speaks volumes that Jose would be bringing him in having worked with him before. No doubt his budget would have allowed for them to go for other options but he chose Matic and no doubt has a very specific role in mind for his team that he knows from past experience that Matic could fill.

In todays market that price is what I would expect when two such teams trade a player good enough to start for them.

Who's next for Utd? will they move on from Perisic ?

I was thinking more on what Matic is thinking going back to a manager who only 2 seasons ago threw him under the bus for a bad spell of form in public

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I was thinking more on what Matic is thinking going back to a manager who only 2 seasons ago threw him under the bus for a bad spell of form in public

He obviously has no issues with it, or he wouldn't have agreed to work with Mourinho again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Well he sees more than what goes on in public and no doubt rates Jose as a manager despite this incident and thinks he could get the best out of him at utd like he did at Chelsea once upon a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And who are you a fan off ?.
    Why does that matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

3 year deal is strange, no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I would assume Matic was aware of who the manager of his new club was so he clearly isn't too fussed about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    3 year deal is strange, no?

I'd be surprised if it wasn't 3 years with an option for a 4th. Seems to be the way all Utd contracts are structured these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I thought United wanted the guy from Monaco as first choice? Fabhino I think. Or am I getting mixed up?

#didntwanthimanyway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think matic is a good signing as he is an improvement on what's currently there . If the midfield 3 is matic Herrera pogba the front 3 would want to be scoring a lot of goals as I can't see that 3 producing too many goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I think matic is a good signing as he is an improvement on what's currently there . If the midfield 3 is matic Herrera pogba the front 3 would want to be scoring a lot of goals as I can't see that 3 producing too many goals.

If Herrera and Pogba are given freedom to get forward and join attacks then they could easily get 20 goals between them.

If's and Could's though at this time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Hitting the crossbar or post counts doesn't it?

SM01 wrote: »

Jaysus ye are like dogs with bones lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

A position United needed strengthening in. They bought well, not excellently, but have improved their squad well.

If they get more out of Pogba and Mkhitaryan this season, they're big contenders for the title imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Matic's arrival shows that Mourinho is interested in controlled brawn rather than flair esp in the context of the other signings. It feels as if watching Utd will be a rather low key experience again.

pjohnson wrote: »

Jaysus ye are like dogs with bones lol.
    Pot calling the kettle black, eh?!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not bad business by Chelsea sell Matic & you have Bakayoko coming in for around the same price. Both have to play for their sides but on paper it looks like a smart move.
    Inter have signed Vecino from Serie A's rotating exit door Fiorentina, who would probably sell the Batistuta statue if it still stood. Inter look like they'll get Dalbert from Nice aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

With speaking of age pirlo got better with age ;).

So did David James, who as a footballer was about as similar in style and ability to Pirlo as Matic is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jayop wrote: »
    If Herrera and Pogba are given freedom to get forward and join attacks then they could easily get 20 goals between them.

Pogba would have to get the majority of them you'd imagine. Herrera hasn't scored many at all since he joined has he? Pogba got 6 or 7 in the league last year and Herrera 3 or 4? Hard to see them both doubling those figures.

You've been making the same "gag" for a week child. Keep fishing but not a notion what your on about regarding pots and kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I think pogba will definetly improve his output but I'd back mata or mkhtaryan to produce more goals than pogba from a central position. More than likely its one of those that now miss out.
    Its in effect Herrera pogba miki or matic Herrera pogba.

• Advertisement

Pogba would have to get the majority of them you'd imagine. Herrera hasn't scored many at all since he joined has he? Pogba got 6 or 7 in the league last year and Herrera 3 or 4? Hard to see them both doubling those figures.

Agree and that's why I said 20 between them and not 10 each. You could easily see Herrera getting 5 or 6 and Pogba getting 14 or 15 goals. Mata and Mkhi should improve on last year too. I think we need to be seeing a bigger spread from all these players as well as Rashford and Martial if we are going to seriously contend. Even an optimistic view or what Lukaku will do would have him scoring 25 tops in the league and that would be exceptional.

I think pogba will definetly improve his output but I'd back mata or mkhtaryan to produce more goals than pogba from a central position. More than likely its one of those that now miss out.
    Its in effect Herrera pogba miki or matic Herrera pogba.

I think it's going to be Herrera, Pogba and Matic in the vast majority of games with a three infront of them. Lukaku will start centrally so you have two places up for grabs between Rashford, Martial, Mkhi, Mata, Lingard. That's pretty decent competition for those places and my big home is that Rashford and Martial will have gotten over their second season syndrome. If Matic can play to his best then it really does look like an exciting attack with goals from all angles.

Ifs and buts and coulds again though. Matic could flop and the rest could struggle for goals like they did last season.

Matic's arrival shows that Mourinho is interested in controlled brawn rather than flair esp in the context of the other signings. It feels as if watching Utd will be a rather low key experience again.

It's a combination of the two. You don't want or need flair from a player like Matic. He's not a playmaker, he's a play destroyer who's job it will be to provide the ball to the flair players. We have plenty of them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it all the same when we lose and didlike it all the same when we win

Agree and that's why I said 20 between them and not 10 each. You could easily see Herrera getting 5 or 6 and Pogba getting 14 or 15 goals. Mata and Mkhi should improve on last year too. I think we need to be seeing a bigger spread from all these players as well as Rashford and Martial if we are going to seriously contend. Even an optimistic view or what Lukaku will do would have him scoring 25 tops in the league and that would be exceptional.

I just checked the stats for last season and Herrera got one and Pogba got five in the league. Hard to see them getting 20 between them next season based off that (unless you were on about 20 in all competitions?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Actually just one (two in all comps), though he was also tied up with a lot of the defensive/cohesive work. Would still want more than that of course but he had 8 in his first season with us and with the added freedom could be a 7-10 goal player in all competitions, with Pogba hopefully more in the 10-15 range (he had 5 in the league and 9 in all comps last year).

I just checked the stats for last season and Herrera got one and Pogba got five in the league. Hard to see them getting 20 between them next season based off that (unless you were on about 20 in all competitions?)

Yeah it would take a big step up from both of them as well as a major positional change. That's why the Matic signing is so important. He's going to be there at all times so in theory it should give them much more impetus to join the attacks. It was Pogba's worst goal return since his first Juve season so he can and should be doing better. Herrera is also normally good for a few more than 1.

I didn't say they would get 20 between them, I said they could. Important distinction. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

They could get 400 between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Utter nonsense.

If you need it explained to you why Utd badly needed a player of Matic ilk signed this summer then you have no idea about the Utd team and shouldn't be commenting.

• Advertisement

Yeah it would take a big step up from both of them as well as a major positional change. That's why the Matic signing is so important. He's going to be there at all times so in theory it should give them much more impetus to join the attacks. It was Pogba's worst goal return since his first Juve season so he can and should be doing better. Herrera is also normally good for a few more than 1.

I didn't say they would get 20 between them, I said they could. Important distinction. :p

If you knew they'd get 20 you'd be down the bookies not on Boards :pac:

If Matic, Herrera, Pogba and Lukaku all start who starts from Miki, Mata, Martial and Rashford? Miki and Rashford?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

It must be difficult for the united fans to decide which one of their treads to post on this last two months

You'd expect Pobga to be taking all the frees and penos next year and to play most games so once he doesn't get injured he should get many more goal scoring opportunities next year. So all things being equal he should improve his tally by a few. If he can up his chance conversion a bit it good be quite a few more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,596 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

If Matic, Herrera, Pogba and Lukaku all start who starts from Miki, Mata, Martial and Rashford? Miki and Rashford?

I think the idea is to bring in someone like Perisic and have a winger who can play on the outside and also a wide forward who will cut in. I think it will depend very much on the opposition tbh as Jose likes to work from game to game, there will be plenty of games to go around tbf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

sword1 wrote: »
    It must be difficult for the united fans to decide which one of their treads to post on this last two months

We sincerely apologise for our team making signings.

"Summer transfer thread" United have signed 3 players so obviously there is going to be a bit of chat on this thread about those transfers, jaysus get over yourself

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    They could get 400 between them

I'm optimistic, but in a 38 game season you'd be looking at them averaging 10.5 goals per game between them. It's just not realistic IMO.

astradave wrote: »
    I think the idea is to bring in someone like Perisic and have a winger who can play on the outside and also a wide forward who will cut in. I think it will depend very much on the opposition tbh as Jose likes to work from game to game, there will be plenty of games to go around tbf

I've never seen Perisic play but you have Lingard. Is he not a winger? I know Martial and Miki like to cut in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Looking at the attacking talent I dont really see what he brings.

Martial has much more upside

I've never seen Perisic play but you have Lingard. Is he not a winger? I know Martial and Miki like to cut in.

Not naturally no...Lingard is more of a wide forward and played mostly underage thru the middle I think.. he has bags and bags of energy and never stops that's why he is liked really

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Looking at the attacking talent I dont really see what vhi brings.

Martial has much more upside

Cause he is a natural winger and has the ability to beat a man and get the ball into the box with ease with both feet. Martial has more upside but his natural instinct is to cut in and shoot or take on players which can be frustrating.

• Advertisement

• adox wrote: »
    Utter nonsense.

If you need it explained to you why Utd badly needed a player of Matic ilk signed this summer then you have no idea about the Utd team and shouldn't be commenting.

I have a strong feeling the poster knows well but letting on they don't for ****s and giggles. No value add to this thread anyway

It humours me the hoops certain posters will jump through to downplay anything Utd are doing in the transfer market

You've been making the same "gag" for a week child. Keep fishing but not a notion what your on about regarding pots and kettle.

This is the first instance I have mentioned it since the initial conversation. Go back and check.

And calling someone a child on here - yeah well done with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Mata wont start for me, its going to be Miki and Martial

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

"Summer transfer thread" United have signed 3 players so obviously there is going to be a bit of chat on this thread about those transfers, jaysus get over yourself

Man who likes tall men signs tall man. Not much else to chat about really.

Not cool dude, there is no need for a unneeded attack on the lack of City fans on boards. I'm sure they exist.............somewhere :pac:

I mean its hardly our fault if no one wants to discuss Merino, Zanka, Riedewald, Lössl, Femenia, Mounie, Bardsley et al.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Mata wont start for me, its going to be Miki and Martial

Martial ahead of Rashford?

Man who likes tall men signs tall man. Not much else to chat about really.

Uh Miki is 5 9
    So ya :pac:

I mean its hardly our fault if no one wants to discuss Merino, Zanka, Riedewald, Lössl, Femenia, Mounie, Bardsley et al.

I discuss Riedewald with you, in 2 years time he will be suject of a 40+ bid from one of the top teams

Berghuis has left Watford to join Feyenoord permanently.

• Advertisement
Advertisement