Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Just reading on twitter that PSG are meeting up with La Liga officials, as La Liga are refusing to accept the activation of the release clause. They don't believe that it meets with FFP. This could drag on (as usual).
    Can you imagine the commotion from ...some posters... if La Liga were going out of their way to stop openly assist in transfer dealings for Madrid?

I mean, what even are the legalities of refusing to accept a clearly defined aspect of a contract? Though if it is indeed illegal, it would need to go to European courts I would imagine or will likely just go the way of all those blood bags a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,347 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If it's true and the Arabs are paying Neymar 300 million to be ambassador,and he buys out his contract with Barca... technically he is a free agent yes,and could sign for anyone ..

Be beyond hilarious if Madrid we're behind this

FFP would account buyout money to PSG, regardless of whether they technically paid it themselves. There are clauses to cover just such things so it can't be so easily got around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I cant wait for PSG to announce a new Qatar based sponsor, I'd hazard a guess it will be to the tune of abot 300m.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I cant wait for PSG to announce a new Qatar based sponsor, I'd hazard a guess it will be to the tune of abot 300m.

FFP can also decide that sponshorship deals are unrealistic and 'faked' for such things, and take them out of FFP equations.

Whether Uefa have the balls to push such a line is another matter. If they did (and they could) you can be certain PSG (and others) would take them to court over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FIFA haven't the balls to take the World Cup off them UEFA won't do a thing to them except shake their hands and say thank you for all the money.

FFP can also decide that sponshorship deals are unrealistic and 'faked' for such things, and take them out of FFP equations.

Whether Uefa have the balls to push such a line is another matter. If they did (and they could) you can be certain PSG (and others) would take them to court over it.

PSG have already fallen foul of FFP.

FWIW, I think FFP is a load of bo**ocks anyway, its good in theory but with the money around sponsorships and TV deals, its not really the great equaliser UEFA assumed it would be.

You only hear of smaller clubs coming undone over FFP the last few years.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    PSG have already fallen foul of FFP.

FWIW, I think FFP is a load of bo**ocks anyway, its good in theory but with the money around sponsorships and TV deals, its not really the great equaliser UEFA assumed it would be.

You only hear of smaller clubs coming undone over FFP the last few years.

In reality, I can't really come up with a good reason why a club owner can't put whatever money he wants into a club, as long as it doesn't burden the club with debt.

If PSG or City owners want to gift their club 5billion quid, so they can buy every player in football, who are we (or Uefa) to say they can't? I think clubs should be stopped from putting themselves in massive debt that threatens their existence (Glazers putting United 800million in debt should not have been allowed) but that isn't what is happening at City or PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

In reality, I can't really come up with a good reason why a club owner can't put whatever money he wants into a club, as long as it doesn't burden the club with debt.

If PSG or City owners want to gift their club 5billion quid, so they can buy every player in football, who are we (or Uefa) to say they can't? I think clubs should be stopped from putting themselves in massive debt that threatens their existence (Glazers putting United 800million in debt should not have been allowed) but that isn't what is happening at City or PSG.

yet this transfer has everything to do with why the Champions league has become a billionaire circus and holds little appeal to me today - no player should be worth 100 million, never mind 200 million, never mind Neymar - was at Bohs v Rovers last friday and on our doorstep we have what football is all about not a billionaire Harlem globetrotters circus that the CL has become. The game of the people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I'm not sure what Neymar has done here to be hated by anyone.

He went to Barca for further fame and fortune.
    He's gone to PSG for fortune beyond what even Barca could offer him. Plus, more chance of winning the Ballon D'Or now that he'll be out of Messi's shadow.

Fair play to the lad.

It must suck for Barca fans to have this done to them for a change.

I agree with ya, UEFA in setting up FFP have somewhat closed the door on "new money" coming into clubs and trying to turn around their fortunes.

Again though, I think its an exercise in futility and clubs should spend what they want, as you said, City and PSG have in effect, bottomless pits of money from the Arabs, if they want to invest it however they see fit, they should be allowed too, FFP is probably anti-competitive in its nature and I'm not sure how the EU would treat it if it went to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

SlickRic wrote: »

He's gone to PSG for fortune beyond what even Barca could offer him. Plus, more chance of winning the Ballon D'Or now that he'll be out of Messi's shadow.

Fair play to the lad.

I don't know what chance he has of winning Ballon D'Or unless PSG can somehow manage to win the Champions League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

It all seems a bit nonsensical, if he wins the CL with Barca - Messi rightfully gets Balon Dor as hes the better player.

If he wins CL with PSG - Neymar gets Balon Dor even though Messi is still a better player..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

They really should have known how Neymar thinks at this stage , regarding money,his own.move to barca was convoluted so he could pocket millions too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

SlickRic wrote: »

Fair play to the lad.

Exactly. He didn't utter a word in public, didn't make a "Slave" comments, didn't go on striker or anything. It was dealt very professionally, just that cry babies just can't handle losing one of their best player. Like you said, for a change they are at receiving end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

AdamD wrote: »
    It all seems a bit nonsensical, if he wins the CL with Barca - Messi rightfully gets Balon Dor as hes the better player.

If he wins CL with PSG - Neymar gets Balon Dor even though Messi is still a better player..

The Balon D'Or is a joke anyway, it's not about best player, it's about best player in the team that wins things that particular year.

Barca officially announced that Neymar asked to leave and buying club should pay release clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Even if he won the CL, Messi would have to have an off season as well.

Since he came to Barca he's finished an average of about 20 goals a season behind Messi. That's ignoring how memorable goals were in that time, how many assists he was behind him, how important the goals were, etc.

He's not getting the Ballon D'Or unless he achieves something approaching parity to Messi's performance, or maybe for the 18/19 season if he has a strong world cup as well.

He'll probably get one eventually, but that would've happened at Barca as Messi starts to wane in the next 2 or 3 years.

There's no particular reason why they should care about clubs putting themelves into massive debt either.

In either case, it's an arbitrary decision made for practical, economic reasons rather than any particular ideal they're trying to adhere to.

If wealth reaches such a concentration that the sport loses too much competetiveness and that reduces interest, then that is very much UEFA's business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

The Balon D'Or is a joke anyway, it's not about best player, it's about best player in the team that wins things that particular year.

It's a joke because it encourages the emphasis on the individual rather than the team. It's a team sport, individual accolades should be irrelevant

• Advertisement

If Neymar's a €200m player, what's Gareth Bale worth in this market? Presumably Real will be looking for something not too far off when/if United make their move

Griezmann off to Barca for £170m.

Ok I now see that link on twitter from the rag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

Was catching up on the United superthread and saw this very apt post about Neymar
    TheDoc wrote: »
    Barca are trickling stories out about his nightlife, raising questions(windirectly) about his longevity at the highest level and his proffesionalism aswell as stories about the $$$ for him and his father.

Basically doing what Barca and Real do before a sale, make it out like they wanted rid, rather than the player deciding to leave, so their fickle fans don't get butthurt.

Then I pop in here and see this
    He stopped by at training to say goodbye to teammates who had grown sick of his attitude. Good riddance.

TheDoc definitely hit the nail on the head here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Aguero and alexis sanchez swap deal being mentioned.

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If Neymar's a €200m player, what's Gareth Bale worth in this market? Presumably Real will be looking for something not too far off when/if United make their move

Significantly less as Neymar is better and also not injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Real should count themselves lucky if they get back what they paid for Bale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I think the worry with what the likes of City etc are doing is that they other clubs will try to keep up and ruin themeselves. I kind of get the idea that they are trying to protect clubs from themselves, but then when you see what City's ownerd have done for the local area, the women's team, youth teams etc, it is very hard to make an argument that this is somehow inherently wrong.

We all know that Messi is better.

But at the end of the day, in that scenario, he wins it. It's just another small reason why it's not a terrible idea to go.

They really should have known how Neymar thinks at this stage , regarding money,his own.move to barca was convoluted so he could pocket millions too

Something many Barca fans would do well to remember in this instance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I think the worry with what the likes of City etc are doing is that they other clubs will try to keep up and ruin themeselves. I kind of get the idea that they are trying to protect clubs from themselves, but then when you see what City's ownerd have done for the local area, the women's team, youth teams etc, it is very hard to make an argument that this is somehow inherently wrong.

City are a bad example i think as the owners there seem to be decent. For every one of city type owners you get many more that are the opposite.

Look at the other clubs who got rich foreign investors. The team i support, blackburn, has been decimated by it. Portsmouth struggled. Look at the owner of Ado Den Haag. Nothing but issues since he bought them.

Leeds has huge issues trying to compete and spending beyond their means.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Significantly less as Neymar is better and also not injury prone.
    inforfun wrote: »
    Real should count themselves lucky if they get back what they paid for Bale.

I agree it will be less than Neymar, but I would think it'll be significantly more than what they paid given the inflation of PL fees, United's wealth and Real's likely reluctance to sell.

If Keita's, VVD and Morata are being discussed in the €70m bracket, surely Bale will be €120m+ sort of territory

• Advertisement

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I agree it will be less than Neymar, but I would think it'll be significantly more than what they paid given the inflation of PL fees, United's wealth and Real's likely reluctance to sell.

If Keita's, VVD and Morata are being discussed in the €70m bracket, surely Bale will be €120m+ sort of territory

If real are reluctant to sell then Bale won't move. He said many times and also his agent that player don't want to leave Madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

DGOPnofXgAAG10O.jpg

I think Arsene is also right about how it will go in the future as well players running down their contracts and going on frees because clubs won't pay the crazy transfers.

I think Arsene is also right about how it will go in the future as well players running down their contracts and going on frees because clubs won't pay the crazy transfers.

I think he is getting his excuses ready when Sanchez and Ozil leave on free transfer.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    I think he is getting his excuses ready when Sanchez and Ozil leave on free transfer.

He is of course but he isn't wrong about players running down their contracts and taking the signing on fee instead of clubs getting it.

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Aguero and alexis sanchez swap deal being mentioned.

Swap deals rarely ever happen so I wouldnt even entertain those links.

Its lazy reporting.

He is of course but he isn't wrong about players running down their contracts and taking the signing on fee instead of clubs getting it.

Don't think it will happen unless club is mismanaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Hierro_4 wrote: »
    PFBz8Bv.jpg

Be a real shame if another treble appears in place of Neymar in that last pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

lassykk wrote: »
    Was catching up on the United superthread and saw this very apt post about Neymar

Then I pop in here and see this

TheDoc definitely hit the nail on the head here!

Anyone that's been to Barcelona, or even has internet access, knows that Neymar has split Barcelona fan opinion from day one. He's an incredible talent but the way he's handled this entire saga will rightly see him branded a Judas to Barcelona.

Anyone that's been to Barcelona, or even has internet access, knows that Neymar has split Barcelona fan opinion from day one. He's an incredible talent but the way he's handled this entire saga will rightly see him branded a Judas to Barcelona.

The way he has handled? Go on, tell us more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I'm sure he'll really care about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Neymar on a plane to London at the moment so say Sky.

Clearly signing for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sky creaming themselves as Neymar is on his way to London not Paris. They will investigate they said

He's heading for Liverpool's London offices to meet Coutinho and sign for Liverpool :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Kept his head down, went to the club asked to leave and has gone about his business without blabbing to the media.

How exactly has he handed it badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

rob316 wrote: »
    Kept his head down, went to the club asked to leave and has gone about his business without blabbing to the media.

How exactly has he handed it badly?

If he went to the media he would have lost his e30m loyalty bonus that was due the first of this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How the hell is he is a Judas? He didn't come through the youth ranks, he was a superstar before he signed for Barcelona. He won plenty of titles and always gave 100% on the pitch.

He is just a modern footballer who wants to go on and do something else. He didn't cause any headaches by the looks of things either. He trained and played all through this process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Neymar on a plane to London at the moment so say Sky.

Clearly signing for Arsenal.

I heard he was headed straight to West Ham.
    Unconfirmed reports suggest he's trying to push his "dream move" to play alongside Andy Carroll...

eagle eye wrote: »
    How the hell is he is a Judas? He didn't come through the youth ranks, he was a superstar before he signed for Barcelona. He won plenty of titles and always gave 100% on the pitch.

He is just a modern footballer who wants to go on and do something else. He didn't cause any headaches by the looks of things either. He trained and played all through this process.

Also this deal is very straight forward where the entire money goes to the club rather than all the illegal payments made by Barca when they signed him and ****ed Santos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

How has he handled it?

Give us the lay down?

Bitter much?

Advertisement