Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Messi has wished Neymar well in his new adventures on his Instagram account anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How dare he want to leave Barcelona!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Interesting to see how barca spend the 222 million they have burning in their pocket now. Even as a Liverpool fan I don't think coutinho is a suitable replacement as his best play come from midfield. I'm. Sure they will make atleast 2-3 huge money signings now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Anyone that's been to Barcelona, or even has internet access, knows that Neymar has split Barcelona fan opinion from day one. He's an incredible talent but the way he's handled this entire saga will rightly see him branded a Judas to Barcelona.

Cuilibet fatuo placet sua calva.

klose wrote: »
    Interesting to see how barca spend the 222 million they have burning in their pocket now. Even as a Liverpool fan I don't think coutinho is a suitable replacement as his best play come from midfield. I'm. Sure they will make atleast 2-3 huge money signings now?

Dembele this year and maybe Verratti next summer.

Although I can imagine they'll not want to deal with PSG at all costs after this Neymar deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

klose wrote: »

Kane & Alli. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

rob316 wrote: »

A traitor to his own DNA, shameful really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Arsenal fans must be loving this, after the shameful pursuit of Fabregas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Kane & Alli. :D
    Absolutely fabulous:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

All I can think about is - imagine the penthouse he is going to rent in Paris...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i believe it was neymar and his dad who screwed santos,aided by barca, would not be surprised if it were neymar who instigated this move too, seems the sort. great footballer though,barcas loss for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Billy86 wrote: »
    A traitor to his own DNA, shameful really.

AIG burning his Neymar Jersey as we speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,313 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

It's crazy money for Neymar but if PSG are mad enough to spend it then it's good business for Barcelona.
    Neymar had a poor season last season despite his heroics against PSG in the Champions league.He only came into form towards the end of the season.
    His goal return was way down and he went backwards in his development as a player reverting to the streaky player he had been with not enough end product.

I don't think his addition to the PSG team will greatly improve them and they will yet again fail in their bid to win the Champions league .
    Neymars father seems to be a very slimy character obsessed with money and doesn't seem to have any class at all .

Alexis Sanchez back to Barcelona ,it would be a good fit and he wouldnt cost too much as he only has a year left on his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It's crazy money for Neymar but if PSG are mad enough to spend it then it's good business for Barcelona.
    Neymar had a poor season last season despite his heroics against PSG in the Champions league.
    His goal return was way down and he went backwards in his development as a player reverting to the streaky wasteful player he had been.

I don't think his addition to the PSG team will greatly improve them and they will yet again fail in their bid to win the Champions league .
    Neymars father seems to be a very slimy character obsessed with money and doesn't seem to have any class at all .

Alexis Sanchez back to Barcelona ,it would be a good fit and he wouldnt cost too much as he only has a year left on his contract.
    Perhaps that's why Neymar left. He felt he was going backwards at Barca and needed a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Neymar had a poor season last season despite his heroics against PSG in the Champions league.
    His goal return was way down and he went backwards in his development as a player reverting to the streaky wasteful player he had been.

Oh, stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Imagine AIG if Neymar puts Barca out of the CL next year :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

pjohnson wrote: »
    Imagine AIG if Neymar puts Barca out of the CL next year :pac:

Absolute scenes

CNMtpUkWsAA1aqA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

zerks wrote: »
    AIG burning his Neymar Jersey as we speak.

Never got one. Never trusted that he wouldn't do what he's done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,949 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Never been a big fan of PSG but the idea of them triggering Neymar's release clause just out of spite after Barca went after Veratti is so funny to me, really has me warming to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Wonder when future President Pique will give us an instagram update on Neymar and the Barca plans for 17/18 season?

What a muppet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

You can all translate this...
    ...but the way he's handled this entire saga will rightly see him branded a Judas to Barcelona.

to this...
    rob316 wrote: »

Alonso wasn't a Judas for leaving Liverpool for Real Madrid.
    Ronaldo wasn't a Judas for leaving Man Utd for Real Madrid.
    Henry wasn't a Judas for leaving Arsenal for Barcelona.
    Bonucci isn't even a Judas for leaving Juventus for Milan.

All these deals, and more, including the Neymar one, were done professionally, with the player in each instance getting on with their job, and nobody making anyone look like shít in the process.

As opposed to Barca's pursuit of Fabregas in the past, for instance.

Just get over it. A super rich club came in, flexed their muscles, and took one of Barca's best players. It happens to every club on the face of the fúcking planet bar Barcelona and Madrid. Suck it up. He's not a Judas in the slightest. He, and his father, are making a financial decision for his career, as well as potentially a good career one if he can bring PSG European glory. Despite what you may think, a player's career does not end at Barcelona - it is not everyone's pinnacle, and it is not where every player grew up wanting to play.

Neymar is looking after himself, as he fúcking well should.

SlickRic wrote: »

Alonso wasn't a Judas for leaving Liverpool for Real Madrid.
    Ronaldo wasn't a Judas for leaving Man Utd for Real Madrid.
    Henry wasn't a Judas for leaving Arsenal for Barcelona.
    Bonucci isn't even a Judas for leaving Juventus for Milan.

All these deals, and more, including the Neymar one, were done professionally, with the player in each instance getting on with their job, and nobody making anyone look like shin the process.

Alonso ,Ronaldo and Henry were all going to bigger and better clubs where they would win more trophies .
    Those moves were largely about future onfield success as opposed to money.

Neymar is not going to a bigger or better team,its questionable whether he will have more onfield success there instead of remaining at Barcelona.
    Its a move primarily to satisfy his ego and his greed for money.
    His head has been turned by PSG and whatever PSG ,Dani Alves and his father have promised him.
    Its his choice though but it reminds me of the Robinho transfer to Man City in ways ,it could go horribly wrong.

Its a sad day for football in a way ,222m euro transfer fee for a player ,its getting ridiculous now ,the already super inflated market will go into overdrive now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think the problem for Barca fans is that this doesn't happen. They're used to seeing their team take the best players from across Europe against the wishes of the selling club and this is one of the few times that it's happening to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,170 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Alonso ,Ronaldo and Henry were all going to bigger and better clubs where they would win more trophies .

Neymar is not going to a bigger or better team,its questionable whether he will have more onfield success there instead of remaining at Barcelona.
    His head has been turned by PSG and whatever PSG ,Dani Alves and his father have promised him.
    Its his choice though but it reminds me of the Robinho transfer to Man City in ways ,it could go horribly wrong.

Its a sad day for football in a way ,222m euro transfer fee for a player ,its getting ridiculous now ,the already super inflated market will go into overdrive now .

Or perhaps Neymar wants a chance to get recognition. I mean whenever Barca win anything its generally Messi who is the "key" match winner. If PSG can win titles he would be regarded as their match winner and get the recognition. While money is a motivator he may just be sick of seeing his efforts overlooked in favour of Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

If PSG can win the champions league three times with neymar he transfer pays for itself. That's not including extra sponsorship revenue and extra income from fans wanting his jersey. Not to mention the extra fans that the signing will generate around the world.

It's a great deal that's looks as crazy as Ronaldo to Madrid at the time. But looking back not too many would say Madrid overplayed for the Portuguese diva

Neymar has as much, if not more chance, of winning trophies at PSG than Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I notice you left out Bonucci.

You mention about players going to bigger clubs being ok. I never heard you giving out about Alexis Sanchez or Mesut Ozil going to Arsenal?

It's nothing like the Robinho transfer by the way, Robinho was largely unproven when he went to City.

Also, the definition of a 'bigger club' for the modern player, is generally whichever club pays the most money.

Neymar, IMO, will never reach the levels of Ronaldo and Messi but moving to France at least gives him a chance to be the brightest light in the team and league, all the while getting paid obscene amounts to do so.

• Advertisement

Money aside, there is also the topic of Neymar's ego at play here (in a positive manner)

Maybe Neymar wants a team built around him and not somewhat overshadowed by Barca's main protagonist Messi.

Maybe he wants to be the one who is remembered as the player that took PSG to the next level, where a huge club is centered around him as a player and, even, figure.

It is poor mentality for some players who are limited to an extent, something which Neymar clearly isn't, but he does seem to thrive in that role and loves the worship that he is subject to for his own national team.

It is a new venture, a new project. At the end of the day it is a career but it is a short one and certain players get itchy feet and seek new challenges, especially when the challenge reaps so many rewards.

He isn't going there to retire ffs.

He owes nothing to Barca, he has left so much on the field, they don't even owe anything to him apart from respect for the effort he has put in. (not pathetic posts calling him a traitor or a judas!!)

A change of scenery is always exciting to. Paris is a wonderful place to live, I can imagine. (not that Barcelona isn't) . It isn't as if he is f*cking off to Makhachkala or Dalian or Mumbai. And he will, once more, be surrounded by brilliant colleagues for a team that is desperate for top success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Alonso ,Ronaldo and Henry were all going to bigger and better clubs where they would win more trophies.

Ronaldo had just won 3 Premier League title 3 times in a row with Man Utd and appeared in back to back Champions League finals. In his first 4 years at Madrid he won 1 league title while in the same time Utd won another 2 EPL's.

Hardly accurate to say he was moving to a bigger and better club to win more trophies. It was his boyhood dream to play for Real.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

God please no. Trading him up for Suarez in Summer 2014 was a fantastic move. Faded away from February onwards while he was there and it seems nothing has changed.

I'm not especially bothered by Neymar going. €200m is well worth it and avoid having that nonsense every Summer. It'll help with any cash strapped-ness and pay for Messi's new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He'll have a league championship next season that he won't be guaranteed at Barca

Arsenal dont want to lose him at any cost, now that Barca will have 200m + in their back pocket, any club will be looking for a serious pay off, ven if in Sanchez case he has only 12 months left on his deal.

Arsenal cant replace Sanchez with a similar player, even if Barca gave them the entire 200m and with under 30 days left in the window, Barca will find it difficult to find a player with a "reasonable" fee available.

I also think for the short term, Barca might have ensured they can pay their massive wage bill but at the cost of losing Neymar, theyve now lost serious ground on Madrid who will probably walk the league for the next 2-3 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ronaldo had just won 3 Premier League title 3 times in a row with Man Utd and appeared in back to back Champions League finals. In his first 4 years at Madrid he won 1 league title while in the same time Utd won another 2 EPL's.

Hardly accurate to say he was moving to a bigger and better club to win more trophies. It was his boyhood dream to play for Real.

He hardly knew that was going to happen.

It was his **** luck that Messi would emerge simultaneously and create such a ridiculously competetive environment when in most periods in history, Real would've been showing a level of dominance even beyond that at the likes of Bayern in the Bundesliga.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    I notice you left out Bonucci.

You mention about players going to bigger clubs being ok. I never heard you giving out about Alexis Sanchez or Mesut Ozil going to Arsenal?

It's nothing like the Robinho transfer by the way, Robinho was largely unproven when he went to City.

Bonnucci largely left Juventus for money and friction with management I believe but he is 30 and has spent 7 years there ,being a great servant to the club .

Sanchez and Ozil were sold by their clubs ,they were largely forced out ,it wasn't their decision to leave so I don't see how it's relevant.

Sorry ,I meant to mention that it was Ronaldo's boyhood dream to play for Real ,that was his primary reason for going there .
    I had it included but actually deleted it as I wasnt 100% sure.
    Neymar has as much, if not more chance, of winning trophies at PSG than Barcelona.

Perhaps ,Barcelona are not the force they were and Iniesta and Busquets are pushing on but PSG's biggest weakness is their temperament ,they are a team of bottlers .

dfx- wrote: »
    God please no. Trading him up for Suarez in Summer 2014 was a fantastic move. Faded away from February onwards while he was there and it seems nothing has changed.

I'm not especially bothered by Neymar going. €200m is well worth it and avoid having that nonsense every Summer. It'll help with any cash strapped-ness and pay for Messi's new contract.

Sanchez has faded away?? Is this alexis Sanchez. Surely you aren't referring to Alexis Sanchez??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Not to disrupt this argument with any facts or anything, but Bonucci left Juvé because of a falling out with Allegri, didn't he?

Insisted on staying in Italy because his child is receiving medical care, opted for Milan because his wife is from there.

No doubt he's probably making a shed load of cash too but...

--

Anyway, back to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Football is a business and career, a players career is about 12-15 years, like it or loathe it they have every right to make the most financially out of that as they can.

Not to disrupt this argument with any facts or anything, but Bonucci left Juvecause of a falling out with Allegri, didn't he?

Insisted on staying in Italy because his child is receiving medical care, opted for Milan because his wife is from there.

No doubt he's probably making a shed load of cash too but...

--

Anyway, back to it...

I was aware of all of that ,thank you but he did get a big salary increase moving to Milan,3.5m to 8m.
    Nesta was his idol growing up and he was a big fan of Milans former players ,that was another reason for joining.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Sanchez has faded away?? Is this alexis Sanchez. Surely you aren't referring to Alexis Sanchez??

Faded away or as Wenger seems to put it now..."in the red". His performance levels dropped off at the sharp end of the season having run himself into the ground at Barcelona the first time. With no Summer break now for years on top of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Bayern might need to sign another attacker soon.

James injured his hamstring and is supposed to be out for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Pete Moss

Yes, any footballer has the right to make as much money as they possibly can throughout there career. Though there's a lot more to be said for a player who shows professional hunger.

Essentially, in my opinion, the "take the money and run" argument doesn't really wash when a gifted player takes a step down, especially when the player wasn't exactly struggling financially at their previous club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Think the problem for Barca fans is that this doesn't happen. They're used to seeing their team take the best players from across Europe against the wishes of the selling club and this is one of the few times that it's happening to them.

Figo to Real, Ronaldo to Inter, Rivaldo to Milan. All a long time ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pete Moss wrote: »
    Yes, any footballer has the right to make as much money as they possibly can throughout there career. Though there's a lot more to be said for a player who shows professional hunger.

Essentially, in my opinion, the "take the money and run" argument doesn't really wash when a gifted player takes a step down, especially when the player wasn't exactly struggling financially at their previous club.

There's a few scenarios.

1) Player moved from lower PL team to the likes of City. Massive pay rise but won't play any football.
    2) Player moved from someone like Everton to a Champions League team, big pay rise and expects to play a lot of football.
    3) Player moves from Champions League club to another that's really going to fight for the title. Probably a small pay rise.
    4) Player moves from the likes of Liverpool or United to Madrid or Barca. Pay rise, probably dream club, likely to win Champions league.

All of those scenarios are perfectly understandable. Even the first one which is a bit mercenry because it's just for money is OK for me because it's a short career and they need to set themselves up for life although professional pride would make me think they would prefer to play even at a lower level.

5) Moving from a top PL team like Oscar did to China in his prime. Big pay raise.
    6) Neymar like move from a huge club like Barca to a big club like PSG. Big pay rise, less likely to win the top top prizes.

Those are more of an issue. No respect for the move Oscar made, Chelsea will have paid him well as would many top clubs in Europe. Neymar I'd be less dismissive of because it's still not beyond reason that PSG could win a Champions League, but surely the prestige should count for more than the extra money he's going to get. How rich does a man need to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Neymar, IMO, will never reach the levels of Ronaldo and Messi but moving to France at least gives him a chance to be the brightest light in the team and league, all the while getting paid obscene amounts to do so.

Sid Lowe made a similar point in a very good Guardian column. Even in the best game he's ever played for Barcelona where he almost single handidly dragged Barcelona past PSG in the Champions League this year, the enduring image from that game was of Messi.

dfx- wrote: »
    Faded away or as Wenger seems to put it now..."in the red". His performance levels dropped off at the sharp end of the season having run himself into the ground at Barcelona the first time. With no Summer break now for years on top of that.

He had a slump in the 3rd quarter of the season but finished the season very well, in a team that were struggling mentally and all over the place at times. Double figure goals in last 15 or 16 games I think, 7 goals and a few assists in his last 8 games.
    Put a player like him into a top echelon team last season and he would have run riot

Jayop wrote: »
    There's a few scenarios.

5) Moving from a top PL team like Oscar did to China in his prime. Big pay raise.
    6) Neymar like move from a huge club like Barca to a big club like PSG. Big pay rise, less likely to win the top top prizes.

Neymar I'd be less dismissive of because it's still not beyond reason that PSG could win a Champions League, but surely the prestige should count for more than the extra money he's going to get. How rich does a man need to be.

The only top prize he is less likely to win the La Liga and Copa del rey............. Barca aren't in anyway hugely ahead of PSG in the "likelihood to win the Champions League" bracket. In fact, dare I say............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Neymar's won it all at Barca.

He's never going to replace Messi as the king. All the talk is about Messi's Barcelona. Messi is still the main man at Barca and will be for some while to come but Neymar wants to be that man himself and he clearly doesn't want to wait around for that. He's moving out of the shadow of Messi. I don't blame him for that.

Money obviously plays a big part in it as well but he's joining a team that might actually win the biggest prize. If he can do it at PSG, it will be a bigger achievement than doing it at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It's not so long ago that PSG were not even worth a snippet of discussion amongst football fans outside of their own. Over the last while we have discussed them a lot whether that be Ibra, Cavani, Thiago Silva, Verratti or the price they paid Chelsea for David Luiz a couple of seasons back.

Thing is they are always looking to improve and get to the next level. Their managers don't get long either and Unai Emery is in his last year unless he does something really good. I'd guess league title and champion's league semi-final is the absolute minimum required. Neymar will increase their chances of that happening for sure. They have money and want success, nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement