Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Diego Costa's lawyer has confirmed that the striker will hand in a transfer request at Chelsea. (Source: SkySports)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

GLaDOS wrote: »
    He had a decent season with Sevilla last year didnt he?

He did ok but just like the rest of the team, faded away once Sampaoli announced he would leave for the Argentina job.
    Also had a few of his twattish moments there, against leicester where he got sent off to name just one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

GLaDOS wrote: »
    He had a decent season with Sevilla last year didnt he?

Not really. He unbalanced the team & thye pretty much dipped when he came into the team. TI was delighted they didn't take up the option to sign him permanently, his career is on a downward curve and wont correct itself IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Diego Costa's lawyer has confirmed that the striker will hand in a transfer request at Chelsea. (Source: SkySports)

I'd say he was hoping to keep his loyalty bonus, by handing in a request, he'll lose that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Italian bank refuses to accept Milan's guarantees so some players may have to return to their former clubs till this is resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Italian bank refuses to accept Milan's guarantees so some players may have to return to their former clubs till this is resolved.

Could they just use foreign banks?

Seems like Milan are trying to borrow against the value of the club rather than the owners using their own funds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I honestly thought Costa would've been one of the first names to move this summer, especially given how vocal he was about wanting the move.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Could they just use foreign banks?

Seems like Milan are trying to borrow against the value of the club rather than the owners using their own funds

The history of Italian football I'd doubt any foreign bank would risk getting into bed with an Italian team.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I honestly thought Costa would've been one of the first names to move this summer, especially given how vocal he was about wanting the move.

He only wants to go to Atletico, by all accounts and they dont seem that bothered. He said he done all he could to leave last summer but Atletico didnt fight as hard for him.

Milan were mentioned before but as we seen, thats very unlikely at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

GavRedKing wrote: »
    He only wants to go to Atletico, by all accounts and they dont seem that bothered. He said he done all he could to leave last summer but Atletico didnt fight as hard for him.

Milan were mentioned before but as we seen, thats very unlikely at this time.

The board don't seem bothered or are trying to lowball.

Simeone won't sign a new contract until he is signed.

Lukker- wrote: »
    The board don't seem bothered or are trying to lowball.

Simeone won't sign a new contract until he is signed.

Ya the reports are that Simeone wants him back, which is good for Chelsea but having a fella sitting in the stands until January is a bit risky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I thought the reason Griezemann didn't leave was because of the transfer ban.
    How can Costa move to Ateltico?

What am I missing?

Gbear wrote: »

What am I missing?

They can sign anyone they want they just can't register them as players till the ban is up.

There is no ban on them selling players.

Gbear wrote: »

What am I missing?

Its not a transfer ban, they just cant register players until the ban is up, which is in January in there case.

Same thing happened to Barca and they bougt Turan and sat him in the stands until they could register him.

In theroy, if you got a 2 window ban this summer you could still buy a player and loan him out until next year or sit him in the stand for the full 12months but that doesnt make any economical sense so clubs like Barca in the past took the 6month hit and bought Turan in early but couldnt register him, would need the player to be open to such a deal too I'd imagine as nobody wants to miss that much football when youre not injured.

Also, Griezmann said it wouldnt be fair to walk out on Atleti in their current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Inigo Martinez looks to be Barca bound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

traitor. Judas.

After all Socieadad did to nurture him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

traitor. Judas.

After all Socieadad did to nourish him.

Very underwhelming signing to replace Neymar. Should be going for a big name instead.

Aubameyang at the very least maybe?

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Very underwhelming signing to replace Neymar. Should be going for a big name instead.

He is hardly a replacement for bloody Neymar! He is a much needed central defender I am sure they would have bought him regardless!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He is hardly a replacement for bloody Neymar! He is a much needed central defender I am sure they would have bought him regardless!!

Sure he will. Barca going to stick him upfront and lob long balls all game long :pac: (it was a joke by the way)

Edit: I see my smiley didn't save on the first post!! Doh.

Sure he will. Barca going to stick him upfront and lob long balls all game long :pac: (it was a joke by the way)

Edit: I see my smiley didn't save on the first post!! Doh.

No jokes about Barca transfers at the moment! We should respect their fans' mourning phase at the minute!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont see anything from Presidente Pique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

No jokes about Barca transfers at the moment! We should respect their fans' mourning phase at the minute!

I think we've gone through denial, we're now in the anger phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Gaston Ramirez has joined Sampdoria.
    Simon Kjaer has joined Sevilla from Fenerbache as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

ERG89 wrote: »
    Simon Kjaer has joined Sevilla from Fenerbache as well.

He gets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Great signing. They have some solid CB's. I see they're going in strong for Dembele too. Think they'll get another cm?

Toobz wrote: »
    Great signing. They have some solid CB's. I see they're going in strong for Dembele too. Think they'll get another cm?

He's a good signing and fits the profile required. Marlon will go to Sociedad to get some first team experience and Vermaelen will likely be sold.

Expect a pursuit of Dembele. He's a Balon D'or waiting to happen and wants to play at Barca. Coutinho will probably be pursued too to play as an 8.

Jayop wrote: »
    I think we've gone through denial, we're now in the anger phase.

I think the only people talking about death blows and mourning phases and anger phases are certain Man Utd fans who are probably likening this to when they lost Ronaldo and have since seen their domination of English football fall away significantly. I can safely say this won't be the case at Barcelona post Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He really is a sad case but I suppose whatever ya get a kick out of.

I think the only people talking about death blows and mourning phases and anger phases are certain Man Utd fans who are probably likening this to when they lost Ronaldo and have since seen their domination of English football fall away significantly. I can safely say this won't be the case at Barcelona post Neymar.

It's only a joke! I thoughtyou of all people could recognise tongue in cheek taunting!

And to be fair to United fans they respected Ronaldo''s decision and he could have moved a year earlier also. Ronaldo is still an icon at United and always gets respect for what he achieved there when he returns.

Fans knew the CR move was going to happen eventually, many Barca fans were still convinced a top player like Neymar who they saw as a future heir to Messi wouldn't abandon ship to go to a so called inferior club up until the last few days.

And Ronaldo''s departure was far from the main reason United''s standards dropped.

If anything losing their 2nd or 3rd best player, whichever way you look at it, has given Real a significant advantage in La Liga, even before a balls been kicked.

You cant really compare La Liga with the PL either in terms of rivals either, Barca wont finish outside the top 3 for the foreseeable future, theres no such luxury in the PL for any of the sides that finished top 6 last season, its nearly impossible to dominate English football as the playing field is level enough between the top 6 sides.

None of those top 6 sides are as good as the best in Europe but within their own leagues, theres far more competition. Like for example, the PL hasnt been retained in going on nearly 10 years. 4 teams have shared winning the league in that period and none of htem have retained it, go back further, in the last 30 years, only Ferguson and Mourinho have retained titles in England.

I dont see Chelsea retaining it either this year, FWIW, like last year, I'd be happy with a top 4 finish and a good run in the cups and Europe, I'd love to retain the league but its a very rare thing in England.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If anything losing their 2nd or 3rd best player, whichever way you look at it, has given Real a significant advantage in La Liga, even before a balls been kicked.

You cant really compare La Liga with the PL either in terms of rivals either, Barca wont finish outside the top 3 for the foreseeable future, theres no such luxury in the PL for any of the sides that finished top 6 last season, its nearly impossible to dominate English football as the playing field is level enough between the top 6 sides.

None of those top 6 sides are as good as the best in Europe but within their own leagues, theres far more competition. Like for example, the PL hasnt been retained in going on nearly 10 years. 4 teams have shared winning the league in that period and none of htem have retained it, go back further, in the last 30 years, only Ferguson and Mourinho have retained titles in England.

I dont see Chelsea retaining it either this year, FWIW, like last year, I'd be happy with a top 4 finish and a good run in the cups and Europe, I'd love to retain the league but its a very rare thing in England.

We've lost our next best player but we've gained an excellent coach, we will gain some much needed reinforcements in key areas and we will regain an identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

ManUtd domination didn't stop when Ronaldo was sold, it stopped when SAF retired.

Not sure what Neymar has anything to do with ManUtd and Ronaldo, have to give benefit of doubt as your vagina is full of salt at this moment.

We've lost our next best player but we've gained an excellent coach, we will gain some much needed reinforcements in key areas and we will regain an identity.

99 % of teams has an identity in their own way. Just because Barca are cash rich, have a worldwide adulation and are successful and play the Catalan card doesn't mean they are so superior in this degree that their fans have this extreme superiority complex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Who does identity play for? He sounds like a real difference maker.

99 % of teams has an identity in their own way. Just because Barca are cash rich, have a worldwide adulation and are successful and play the Catalan card doesn't mean they are so superior in this degree that their fans have this extreme superiority complex

My comment literally has nothing to do with superiority or even any other club. It's to do with moving too far away from the Cruyff/Guardiola philosophy.

Robbie Keane joins Atletico de Kolkata of Indian Super League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Funny to see Barca sell out their sponsor to the middle east slave traders (Qatar) and now been reduced to tears by them taking their player. Menos que un club!

Bahebeck from PSG to.................. FC Utrecht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, nailed on!

Not many bigger names, in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink, nailed on!

Not many bigger names, in fairness.

Funny how he got his name, both of his parents surnames of Vennegoor and Hesselink both had a lot of respect in their area, so they decided to give him both, basically a double-barrel surname here. In Dutch, it means Vennegoor or Hesselink, but in English he sounds like a medieval knight. :D

inforfun wrote: »
    Bahebeck from PSG to.................. FC Utrecht.

judas

martyos121 wrote: »
    Funny how he got his name, both of his parents surnames of Vennegoor and Hesselink both had a lot of respect in their area, so they decided to give him both, basically a double-barrel surname here. In Dutch, it means Vennegoor or Hesselink, but in English he sounds like a medieval knight. :D

Close but not entirely true.

His ancestors owned 2 farms. Farmers' last names in the area they lived, were usually related to the name of the farm.
    As they had 2, the name Vennegoor of Hesselink was "born" where "of" indeed translated to "or"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

inforfun wrote: »
    Close but not entirely true.

His ancestors owned 2 farms. Farmers' last names in the area they lived, were usually related to the name of the farm.
    As they had 2, the name Vennegoor of Hesselink was "born" where "of" indeed translated to "or"

.......You learn something new everyday......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Mbappe just went down with an awful looking knee injury. Could ruin his big money transfer to Madrid. He's standing up at least now.

EDIT: he seems fine now. Disregard my sensationalism.

Double EDIT: and now he's gone down again and been subbed off. Think I jinxed him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I'd blame the demise more on Fergie than Ronaldo.
    I cant see how anyone would think losing the third best player being similar to losing a top two player of the last ten years
    More similar to maybe Tevez leaving

• Advertisement

Lallana now out for a few months with injury. Liverpool would best line up some replacements in midfield soon if, as is very likely, Coutinho f*cks off.
    Hoffenheim will not be easy opponents.

Lallana now out for a few months with injury. Liverpool would best line up some replacements in midfield soon if, as is very likely, Coutinho f*cks off.
    Hoffenheim will not be easy opponents.

If Coutinho goes (I don't think he does this summer) and with Lallana and Sturridge injured they're screwed for the start of the season and the first few CL games. Especially as no club seems willing to take their money.

Jayop wrote: »
    If Coutinho goes (I don't think he does this summer) and with Lallana and Sturridge injured they're screwed for the start of the season and the first few CL games. Especially as no club seems willing to take their money.

First 2............... If they don't sort their sh*t out, they won't have a few

Ah they should still have enough to beat Hoffenheim.

Surely the purse strings will have to be loosened now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Fernando announced as a Galatasary player.

• Advertisement
Advertisement