Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Reports of Andre Gray being on the verge of a £18.5m move to Watford on Twitter.

I don't rate him too highly but Burnley aren's exactly flush with goalscorers. He got 9 in the league for them last season. I think only Sam Vokes got more (10).

You'd think the combination of losing Gray and Keane and not really replacing either would be an issue for a side who finished last season in a rotten run of form and are basically incapable of getting points on the road.

1 year left on his contract and apparently wants 100k a week not a hope Burnley will pay him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Reports of Andre Gray being on the verge of a £18.5m move to Watford on Twitter.

I don't rate him too highly but Burnley aren's exactly flush with goalscorers. He got 9 in the league for them last season. I think only Sam Vokes got more (10).

You'd think the combination of losing Gray and Keane and not really replacing either would be an issue for a side who finished last season in a rotten run of form and are basically incapable of getting points on the road.
    Big Jon Walters will fill the gap, could see him hitting double figures if they play him up front

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Seb Larsson signs for Hull. Suprised he didnt get a PL offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/mattletiss7/status/895022698006499328

Matt Le Tissier ✔ @mattletiss7
    "Welcome to @SouthamptonFC @LeminaM_13 and good luck on your next move to Liverpool next year":)
    Ouch. I'd say "Le god" isn't too enamoured with Liverpool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

blueser wrote: »
    Ouch. I'd say "Le god" isn't too enamoured with Liverpool!

Someone in the Liverpool thread said we'd a deal done for this guy for £50m yesterday.

Broke down as follows.

Liverpool buy for £50m, no payment for 12 months.
    Loan to Southampton.
    Southampton pay £20m for loan fee to current club.
    June 2018 joins Liverpool and Liverpool pay the £50m fee to Southampton.

I think Matt must have been reading the Liverpool Superthread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The Coutinho thing is all getting a bit bizarre now. Unless there's a big player coming the other way I just can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well if I was in Liverpool's position I'd sell Coutinho but I'd demand they take Firminho as well and it'd cost 150m + Alcacer + Munir.
    Alcacer seems like the right type of striker for that Liverpool team and Munir is a very talented young fella who could be another Coutinho in a year or two with game time which he currently is not getting at Barca.

They can play hard ball all day it seems but I don't think its a good idea to hold onto a player who wants to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

eagle eye wrote: »
    Well if I was in Liverpool's position I'd sell Coutinho but I'd demand they take Firminho as well and it'd cost 150m + Alcacer + Munir.
    Alcacer seems like the right type of striker for that Liverpool team and Munir is a very talented young fella who could be another Coutinho in a year or two with game time which he currently is not getting at Barca.

They can play hard ball all day it seems but I don't think its a good idea to hold onto a player who wants to go.

Have Coutinho or Firmino said they want to go?

• Advertisement

It's lucky you don't make Liverpool's decisions so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/RealBetis/status/895252961840037888?s=09

I like this reveal more than I should :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thats madness.

Barca wont want Firmino and if Coutinho does really want out, they'll just hold out until he acts up and end up saving themselves being burdened by Firmino and losing 2 players in the process.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Giving the buying team another player is an interesting negotiation technique.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »

Can we give them Moreno :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Boudebouz was excellent in Ligue 1 last season. One of the league's best attacking players. If the €7m fee is accurate that's brilliant business from Betis.

I dont believe it beyond clickbait but SSN just mentioned Pep wants Busquets at City. This would cause absolute hilarity as AIG declares Busquets a traitor to Barca and starts understating his performance, while simultaneously trying to praise Pep AND overstate Busquets ability.

GLaDOS wrote: »

Just confuse the bejaysus out of them and hope they back slowly away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Neymar thread=====>>>>:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Boudebouz was excellent in Ligue 1 last season. One of the league's best attacking players. If the €7m fee is accurate that's brilliant business from Betis.

Is it not Bou-de-bouz now :D
    Are Eysseric & Dalbert big losses to Nice do you know?

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    I dont believe it beyond clickbait but SSN just mentioned Pep wants Busquets at City. This would cause absolute hilarity as AIG declares Busquets a traitor to Barca and starts understating his performance, while simultaneously trying to praise Pep AND overstate Busquets ability.
    Even allowing for the fact that Pep knows Busquets (and his abilities/limitations) very well, I can't see us being in for him. For starters, his age doesn't really fit in with the type of player we've been buying this last 18-24 months. Walker is, off the top of my head, the oldest we've brought in in that period (?) and he's only 27. We've been working on bringing down the average age of the squad, which a lot of people were slinging mud at us for. Busquets is 29, by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Even allowing for the fact that Pep knows Busquets (and his abilities/limitations) very well, I can't see us being in for him. For starters, his age doesn't really fit in with the type of player we've been buying this last 18-24 months. Walker is, off the top of my head, the oldest we've brought in in that period (?) and he's only 27. We've been working on bringing down the average age of the squad, which a lot of people were slinging mud at us for. Busquets is 29, by the way.

Was Bravo not the oldest signing City made in that period? Also they were after Alves this summer. Both well into their 30's. So its not that hard to believe they could also be going after a 29 year old now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

pjohnson wrote: »

He'd manage it somehow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

I dont think Busquets ever leaves Barca, and certainly not after the ****storm with Neymar.

He would be my top priority but wont happen. Its nice we are linked to players in that position though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

He looks a good player, he's injured for the first few games though I think:-(

Was Bravo not the oldest signing City made in that period? Also they were after Alves this summer. Both well into their 30's. So its not that hard to believe they could also be going after a 29 year old now.
    My apologies; totally forgot about Bravo (trying to wipe him from my memory!) and Alves. I guess I'm getting old as well.
    :(
    Still don't think Busquets is a priority target for us. Though we do need another CB, as back for Vinnie's possible (probable?) injury absences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

1 year left on his contract and apparently wants 100k a week not a hope Burnley will pay him that.

As crazy as any other fee this summer. WTF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I wouldn't pay much of any attention to the Busquets stuff either, but not for a lack of want nor need - can't stand him but he is ridiculously good at what he does - but for that reason, especially since they've lost 'the future star of Barcelona' as someone here once put it, he won't be going anywhere.

Unless of course, some event in the middle east needed some additional promotion. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Barca ramping up the interest in Coutinho it seems.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/895378797079539712

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Although it would significantly weaken Liverpool which would be good I'd still be a bit sad to see Coutinho leave the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is it not Bou-de-bouz now :D
    Are Eysseric & Dalbert big losses to Nice do you know?

They are losses but I wouldn't say they are necessarily big losses. Of the two, Dalbert is the one they will miss most imo. I'd like to see them go and get a left-back before the window shuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Wonder if certain liverpool fans (John Aldridge) still think it's disgraceful that a player can be kept against his will and that he should go on strike to force the move??!

But is he really been kept against his will, the reporting is pretty sketchy around that stuff.. he would probably like a move to Barca, but I think he still has a lot of respect for Pool. He doesn't seem the type to go on strike n that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Gavlor wrote: »
    Wonder if certain liverpool fans (John Aldridge) still think it's disgraceful that a player can be kept against his will and that he should go on strike to force the move??!

Just because Liverpool rejected a bid doesn't mean Coutinho's being held against his will ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Just because Liverpool rejected a bid doesn't mean Coutinho's being held against his will ffs.

Inb4 Coutinho stages a fake kidnapping like that titty model did the other day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Why doesnt he come out and say something,stop hiding behind the manager and/or hoping a deal would get done.He should grow a back bone a draw a line in the sand,Liverpool have Champions League qualifiers shortly and if hes waiting then say it and let it be done with.
    Hes been on the fence long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I know the whole market is gone crazy but is Coutinho really worth 100 million?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Ninthlife wrote: »

No way.

It's considerably more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Why doesnt he come out and say something,stop hiding behind the manager and/or hoping a deal would get done.He should grow a back bone a draw a line in the sand,Liverpool have Champions League qualifiers shortly and if hes waiting then say it and let it be done with.
    Hes been on the fence long enough.

He's been on the fence? How do you know? As you said Liverpool have Champions League qualifiers on the way, he's probably more concerned with football than engaging with the media right now.

• Advertisement

martyos121 wrote: »
    No way.

Really!

I know something is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay but what Ive seen of Coutinho play im not sure where the valuation of 100 million comes from.

Suarez, Ronaldo i could say definitley worth it but some of the recent deals are a bit head scratchingly confusing

No way.

What would Kane oe Deli Ali go for,crazy to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Really!

I know something is only worth whatever someone is willing to pay but what Ive seen of Coutinho play im not sure where the valuation of 100 million comes from.

Suarez, Ronaldo i could say definitley worth it but some of the recent deals are a bit head scratchingly confusing

It's not that he's worth that much, (it's pretty much impossible to put an accurate number on the monetary value of any footballer) it's just that it'll take such an amount to sign him, given the circumstances. The likes of Pogba, Stones and Morata are similar in that you wouldn't normally value them at the price they were sold for in terms of footballing ability, but it's understandable that they cost so much. Having watched every kick of Coutinho's career since January 2013, and seeing how far he's come, I can honestly say Neymar is the only transfer fee that would deservedly surpass whatever we eventually get for Phil.
    What would Kane oe Deli Ali go for,crazy to think.

That's nearly unthinkable. Levy will ride whoever dares to go there. At this moment in time, neither would be let go for less than £200m given how long is left in the window and the lack of signings at Tottenham. If either of them go next year (unlikely IMO), I can't see either going for less than £160m. I think they'll be at Spurs for many years yet though, but Alli would definitely go before Kane ever does.

Just wondering if Coutinho plays the CL qualifiers for Liverpool and signs for Barca after/during,what happens,can he play for Barca?

Just wondering if Coutinho plays the CL qualifiers for Liverpool and signs for Barca after/during,what happens,can he play for Barca?

Pretty sure you can add one player to the list for champ league proper, who has played qualifiers. Think if came up either last year or year prior

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

No, just no

astradave wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can add one player to the list for champ league proper, who has played qualifiers. Think if came up either last year or year prior

Yea so he can play in the qualifiers and if Liverpool failed to qualify,Barca could still sign him

Yea so he can play in the qualifiers and if Liverpool failed to qualify,Barca could still sign him

Do they have to fail to qualify though? If they go through can Barca still buy him and play him? That's where I get confused :D

irishman86 wrote: »
    No, just no

I agree

I didnt rate him as a top player worth that much but martyos121 reckons he is and he has watched him far more than i. I never got the hype around Coutinho and would have thought of him in the same bracket as Sigurdsson

I also thought Utd overpaid for Pogba actually the majority of transfers are skewed at the moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

It's not that he's worth that much, (it's pretty much impossible to put an accurate number on the monetary value of any footballer) it's just that it'll take such an amount to sign him, given the circumstances. The likes of Pogba, Stones and Morata are similar in that you wouldn't normally value them at the price they were sold for in terms of footballing ability, but it's understandable that they cost so much. Having watched every kick of Coutinho's career since January 2013, and seeing how far he's come, I can honestly say Neymar is the only transfer fee that would deservedly surpass whatever we eventually get for Phil.

At least you are honest about your bias buddy, unless off course you are only talking in terms of this summer and even then Coutinho is well below Pogba not sure why hes been mentioned, he is closer to Morata for me below him aswell
    So no Neymar isnt the only fee that would deservedly be higher.
    The over rating of Coutinho is baffling, if he leaves this season Salah will show hes not even going to be missed (Could easily be the signing of the season)

• Advertisement
Advertisement