Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Everything points to Dembele joining Barca over the weekend. 130m and they only bid 100 for Coutinho? The world's gone mad.

Nothing mad with that at all really, Coutinho might be slightly better right now but Dembele has the potential to be one of the best players in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nothing mad with that at all really, Coutinho might be slightly better right now but Dembele has the potential to be one of the best players in the world.

It shows Barca thought Liverpool would be an "easy touch" (esp as it's actually 85m + add ons).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

La Parisen reporting €130m for Dembele, he only was transferred from Rennes last summer for €15m! Rennes have a 25% sell on fee, so they will receive over €30m, twice what they sold him for!

Crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Rekop dog wrote: »
    That Danny Rose interview among the most moronic things I've ever read.

Spurs have had one of the best transfer window out of all clubs imo, they've managed to keep their bright young talent which is often more important than a "marquee" singing. Like everyone is praising Everton this window but they haven't signed anyone remotely near the quality of what they lost.

Hope he's dumped to the reserves, other big clubs should also take a wide berth of someone with such a retarded attitude too

You cant have a good transfer window if you dont strengthen your team.

IMO, theyve had easily the worst transfer window of any of the top 6 sides and theyve sold a RB to City for big money and seen his ready made replacement go down injured.

Spurs wont have regressed at all but neither have the pushed on and captailised on 2 very strong seasons and added better depth to the squad.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd be worried that they didnt add better quality anyway but theres still 3 weeks left in the transfer window yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

It shows Barca thought Liverpool would be an "easy touch" (esp as it's actually 85m + add ons).

No it doesn't, it just shows that Barca valued Coutinho at that price. Don't think there is anything more to it.

• Turtyturd wrote: »
    Coutinho obviously needs to hit the bar a bit more to be on the same level.

Coutihno has the whole team continuing that trend

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/philippe-coutinho-wants-liverpool-to-stop-hitting-post-and-win-europa-league-34724826.html

duffman13 wrote: »
    Coutinho is not worth £90 million but that money is useless to Liverpool unless they can sign someone of equal or better quality for less. The way the money is flying around in this window they'd be better off holding on to Coutinho and seeing what happens next year.

Pogba last year wasn't worth what was paid neither was John Stones. Utd needed a midfielder and Pogba is potentially one of the best in the world. Juve milked it and got a price they wouldn't have gotten elsewhere.

Stones wasnt worth £50 million but City needed a defender and home grown players to supplement their squad. Everton milked it and got a fee they wouldn't have got elsewhere.

Liverpool could milk it and get a fee that no one else would be willing to pay but Liverpool don't need to sell and the player doesn't seem to be kicking up a fuss so far. Stones and Pogba both wanted the moves.

I think fees are definitely at a point of being unsustainable. When clubs are spending 30% or more of there turnover on one player it's asking for trouble.

Pogba will be better this year with Matic behind him.

If United had of held off the Pogba transfer until this year and went for a new DM last year instead Juve would have wanted a hell of a lot more than the €100m they got last year for him.

Like someone said earlier, the fees have went from crazy last summer to bat **** crazy this summer.

• GavRedKing wrote: »

IMO, theyve had easily the worst transfer window of any of the top 6 sides and theyve sold a RB to City for big money and seen his ready made replacement go down injured.

Spurs wont have regressed at all but neither have the pushed on and captailised on 2 very strong seasons and added better depth to the squad.

If I was a Spurs fan I'd be worried that they didnt add better quality anyway but theres still 3 weeks left in the transfer window yet.

Worried might be a bit much but I can agree with the sentiment that they haven't strengthened and should have

Pochettino did speak out on this only a few days ago, and said his requests are with Levy but looks like he's struggling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

No it doesn't, it just shows that Barca valued Coutinho at that price. Don't think there is anything more to it.

Nah they were taking the piss (or they were underestimating the financial power PL clubs now have) , I expect they'll try one more time. Maybe 120/130m if they get no one other than Dembele in before the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Everything points to Dembele joining Barca over the weekend. 130m and they only bid 100 for Coutinho? The world's gone mad.

Coutinho is a brilliant player but Dembele is the one we need more right now and is definitely the target that has me most excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

"whichever player we're more likely to get is the best"

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Worried might be a bit much but I can agree with the sentiment that they haven't strengthened and should have

Pochettino did speak out on this only a few days ago, and said his requests are with Levy but looks like he's struggling

Couple it with the move to Wembley and I'd be slighlty worried if I was a Spurs fan.

4 of their 5 rivals have added quality to their squads so they might have to rely on some underperforming in periods for a 3rd year on the trot to push passed them all again.

They could easily go on and win the league too with their current squad, theyre not far off but as a fam, you do hope you can add some more quality year on year and keep your better players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

MagicIRL wrote: »
    And there's the problem. The current XI won't stick around season after season being content with 2nd place and 'also ran' medals.

Unless Spurs invest now, while they have an incredible and well balanced XI, they'll lose far more than they'll gain in the long run, in my opinion.

I can't imagine Eriksen, Lloris, Toby A, Alli or even Kane would be happy seeing the money much lesser players are making, or winning, around them when their team is seemingly winning nothing.

In saying that - win the league and suddenly the plan has worked and they're buying Neymar from PSG they're so rich from penny pinching! :pac:

Depth is one of the most overrated concepts in football. There's a massive correlation between teams who rotate little and win leagues. Having a youngish fit starting 11 that can deal with the rigours of a campaign is most important. You need luck on your side with things like injuries, like if Hazard or Kante missed a good portion of last season I don't think Chelsea would have won the league, don't think their depth would have saved them because no side probably outside of Real or Bayern have options on the bench to replace their stars and still be title contenders imo.

Also you can have all the depth in the world but if the likes of Marouane Fellaini is knocking about in your starting XI you've got far bigger worries.

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    Couple it with the move to Wembley and I'd be slighlty worried if I was a Spurs fan.

4 of their 5 rivals have added quality to their squads so they might have to rely on some underperforming in periods for a 3rd year on the trot to push passed them all again.

They could easily go on and win the league too with their current squad, theyre not far off but as a fam, you do hope you can add some more quality year on year and keep your better players.
    Sorry, couldn't resist :pac:
    glxnPKsj.jpg

GavRedKing wrote: »

I think the big factor for Spurs this season is how they settle at Wembley.

City have to be favourites this year with their additions with United and Chelsea going close.

"whichever player we're more likely to get is the best"

Iniesta is still great, signing Coutinho isn't as essential as signing Neymar's replacement. To be honest a midfielder like Seri is probably required more than Coutinho too. I'd love it if we signed Coutinho because he's a great player but there's other areas of the team that need strengthening more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

This always boils down to who? When City paid £50M for Walker the transfer window instantly became bat**** crazy. Events since seem to suggest that City stole Walker.

The simple economics of it is that, even if there were a load of players in the £50M bracket coming up for sale Spurs have to answer the following questions:

1. Who do we want to replace that badly?

2. When the new player insists on a £200K a week contract (which is the £50M player bracket) what do we say to our highest paid players Kane and Lloris (on around £100K), never mind the lesser lights.

I have already said on the Spurs thread that they are no longer fishing in the finished article player pool. There is simply no way to compete with even Liverpool's wages, never mind Chelsea, City and the continental giants. In my view the top teams are pissing away their cash and Spurs are left fishing in the pools where they located Bale, Modric, Alli and Kane.

In time, a very short time given the way the transfer market is at the moment, Spurs will have the increased revenue to compete on a more level field. In the meantime, Chelsea need to keep praying there is never a change of regime in Russia and City (and PSG) need to hope the squeeze being put on Qatar doesn't bite too deep.

In my view, the level playing field is coming an awful lot sooner than people think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Depth is one of the most overrated concepts in football. There's a massive correlation between teams who rotate little and win leagues. Having a youngish fit starting 11 that can deal with the rigours of a campaign is most important. You need luck on your side with things like injuries, like if Hazard or Kante missed a good portion of last season I don't think Chelsea would have won the league, don't think their depth would have saved them because no side probably outside of Real or Bayern have options on the bench to replace their stars and still be title contenders imo.

Also you can have all the depth in the world but if the likes of Marouane Fellaini is knocking about in your starting XI you've got far bigger worries.

I feel like you're contradicting yourself here. You say depth is overrated, but then go on to say that Chelsea would struggle without Hazard or Kante... thus indicating a lack of depth would hurt them?

The Spurs XI is brilliant. Has been for two seasons. It's now down a RB, with an (injured) replacement already in the squad, so it hasn't really gone anyway up or down.

If Spurs had depth in the squad they could do a double. League and FA Cup. That helps them keep their big names. Helps them attract more. Without the squad depth, they can't really attack all competitions. It just can't be done with injuries/fatigue/suspensions and whatever else the season will throw at you as a manager.

You don't need a bench of stars like Real Madrid, but you don't want the transition from XI to squad to be so jarring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I feel like you're contradicting yourself here. You say depth is overrated, but then go on to say that Chelsea would struggle without Hazard or Kante... thus indicating a lack of depth would hurt them?

I'm not at all, I'm saying no premier league side have options on the bench to cope with losing a Hazard or a Kane or Kompany or Sanchez to a long injury and still be title contenders. Depth is overrated, having the luck for your stars to avoid leg breaking tackles or unfortunate injuries is far more crucial to chances of winning a title.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think the big factor for Spurs this season is how they settle at Wembley.

City have to be favourites this year with their additions with United and Chelsea going close.

Clear favourites for me anyway, if they dont steam roll the league and wrap it up in April, I'd be really surprised, the squad is very strong and Pep really has no excuses.
    Deise Vu wrote: »
    This always boils down to who? When City paid £50M for Walker the transfer window instantly became bat**** crazy. Events since seem to suggest that City stole Walker.

The simple economics of it is that, even if there were a load of players in the £50M bracket coming up for sale Spurs have to answer the following questions:

2. When the new player insists on a £200K a week contract (which is the £50M player bracket) what do we say to our highest paid players Kane and Lloris (on around £100K), never mind the lesser lights.

I have already said on the Spurs thread that they are no longer fishing in the finished article player pool. There is simply no way to compete with even Liverpool's wages, never mind Chelsea, City and the continental giants. In my view the top teams are pissing away their cash and Spurs are left fishing in the pools where they located Bale, Modric, Alli and Kane.

In time, a very short time given the way the transfer market is at the moment, Spurs will have the increased revenue to compete on a more level field. In the meantime, Chelsea need to keep praying there is never a change of regime in Russia and City (and PSG) need to hope the squeeze being put on Qatar doesn't bite too deep.

In my view, the level playing field is coming an awful lot sooner than people think.

Spurs dont have to spend 50m on replacements but look at the other top 6 sides, with the exception of Liverpool, when fully fit, they all have options on the bench that cost 20-30m plus and can change games. Spurs might get that back when they have Lamela fit again and hes rotating with Son, Eriksen or Alli but if you compared the squads, there is weaker than others but, the Spurs starting XI is right up there with the best in the league.

Chelsea wont be affected by anything in Russia, Chelsea have been making their own money for quiet a long time now and we havent had a mad transfer window for the best part of a decade, City are becoming more self sufficient too but theres a lot of investment from within to balance books.

The TV money, kit deals, PL & CL money is so insane now anyway, that unless a club is spending about 250m every year without selling players, they can easily break even.

Chelsea are set to make about 400m this year alone from the above type deals and we're at a net spend of about 17m in the transfer market, Chelsea are pretty safe in this or any market, in that regard.

I'm not at all, I'm saying no premier league side have options on the bench to cope with losing a Hazard or a Kane or Kompany or Sanchez to a long injury and still be title contenders. Depth is overrated, having the luck for your stars to avoid leg breaking tackles or unfortunate injuries is far more crucial to chances of winning a title.

But, if you follow that logic, you're relying on luck that something won't happen instead of investing into your squad to have better cover if it does?

I'm not trying to argue Spurs should buy the Madrid bench and pay them huge wages to watch each game, more that they've (so far) failed to address the depth in the squad which will hurt their title hopes should injury etc. hit the starting XI.

They're in such an unusual place in that their starting XI is so good and well balanced imo that they don't need to replace any starters, so it is the perfect opportunity to flesh out the overall team, which they're failing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Having depth in your squad allows you to rest players for smaller games. Of course most teams will struggle if they lose their best players for a period of time.

Being able to rest your players in smaller games gives them a rest so reduces the risk of losing them for long periods. Thats why i think that squad depth is important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Dortmund manager has said that he doesn't know where Dembele is and that he didn't turn up for training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

To be fair the arguments of which teams have gotten stronger and weaker are all a bit redundant as players improving or regressing within each squad will have as much if not more impact on performance than transfers. Spurs are probably expecting all of Son, Kane and Alli to improve this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

zerks wrote: »
    The Dortmund manager has said that he doesn't know where Dembele is and that he didn't turn up for training.

Someone posted this a few minutes ago Zerks :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Someone posted this a few minutes ago Zerks :pac:

Ah Zerks can't even get away with it outside the United thread... :D

zerks wrote: »

Dembele waits in Paris for permission to fly to Barcelona to finalise his transfer. This is very close now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Dembele waits in Paris for permission to fly to Barcelona to finalise his transfer. This is very close now.

It's not. Kicker say he's in Dortmund on strike. And Dortmund have just released this statement.

Borussia Dortmund GmbH & Co. KGaA ("BVB") has held a talk with the Catalan football club FC Barcelona regarding the possible transfer of the BVB player Ousmane Demb ("player") to FC Barcelona.

During this meeting, the representatives of FC Barcelona submitted a bid which did not correspond to the player's extraordinary footballing and other status and not to the present economic market situation of the European transfer market. BVB therefore rejected this offer.

As there is no other offer from FC Barcelona to date, there is currently no transfer of the player to FC Barcelona and this is not currently likely.

http://bvb.ir-portal.de/cgi-bin/show.ssp?companyName=borussia_mobile&language=German&id=2010&newsID=1641441&companyDirectoryName=borussia

astradave wrote: »
    Ah Zerks can't even get away with it outside the United thread... :D

I saw some of you lot slagging him the other day over there so said I'd continue the tradition :pac:

Surely Barca don't want a player who would betray his club like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Spurs dont have to spend 50m on replacements but look at the other top 6 sides, with the exception of Liverpool, when fully fit, they all have options on the bench that cost 20-30m plus and can change games. Spurs might get that back when they have Lamela fit again and hes rotating with Son, Eriksen or Alli but if you compared the squads, there is weaker than others but, the Spurs starting XI is right up there with the best in the league.

Chelsea wont be affected by anything in Russia, Chelsea have been making their own money for quiet a long time now and we havent had a mad transfer window for the best part of a decade, City are becoming more self sufficient too but theres a lot of investment from within to balance books.

The TV money, kit deals, PL & CL money is so insane now anyway, that unless a club is spending about 250m every year without selling players, they can easily break even.

Chelsea are set to make about 400m this year alone from the above type deals and we're at a net spend of about 17m in the transfer market, Chelsea are pretty safe in this or any market, in that regard.

A £20M player is going to want £5M a year wages. Spurs simply donlt have that kind of luxury even if it didn't automatically mean all the starting players breaking down Levy's door for the same deal.

As regards Chelsea, in the year to June 2016, their turnover was approximately £100M more than Spurs. Their wages bill was also, coincidentally, £100M more than Spurs. In the meantime Roman has written off or at least parked £1Bn in loans (One Billion STG when Stg was worth something!!). Chelsea are also in the very early tentative stages of building a new ground. Trust me, you do not want Putin taking a dive. And I am not even going to discuss City.

One thing that I should have said earlier though is that everyone needs to keep a very close eye on the TV money. Exponential increases in wages financed by exponential increases in TV money are only possible by exponential increases in what Sky charges for their service or exponential increases in the number of customers. I can't see either happening, especially with the increasing disillusionment of the have-nots fans.If I was involved with a PL club I would be insisting on either tying contracts to the TV money or, if players baulked at that, synchronising contracts with TV renewals. Sooner or later the the elastic will break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

And I assume in your mind dembele is handling himself perfectly on this situation........

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

So... he's in Paris, eh??

:pac:

• Advertisement

And I assume in your mind dembele is handling himself perfectly on this situation........

He wants to join the club he supports and he wants to play for one of Europe's elite teams.

He wants to join the club he supports and he wants to play for one of Europe's elite teams.

Neymar wanted a new challenge and to play for one of Europe's elite teams as well and you said he betrayed Barca.

Neymar wanted a new challenge and to play for one of Europe's elite teams as well and you said he betrayed Barca.

Big difference and you know it. I won't be drawn in on that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,265 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

he's somewhere. the boss doesn't know.....

"Dembele wasn't at training today. I have no idea why he wasn't there. We tried to reach him but couldn't"

thats pretty ****ing ****ty. having said that, he is only a kid, probably wants daddy (barce) to sort it out for him, without having to be involved in an awkward situation.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11899/10982259/borussia-dortmund-unaware-of-dembele-whereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Deise Vu wrote: »

I would have little concern as to the durability of Putin he is perhaps the most astute politician in the world. He is also now being helped by an inept US regime which is pushing the EU and Russia closer mainly over gas.

That said it is recent US cozying up to the Saudi's which has propelled the current unrest with Qatar from Western backed countries it is unlikely to end too badly for Qatar as the US regime has shown little indication they have any idea what they are doing.

The biggest shame is the rats butt that has been made of FFP. Actually a very good idea badly conceived and executed desperately.

• Advertisement

Yeah, at least Neymar turned up and kept playing for Barcelona while his transfer was negotiated.

There really isn't AIG you just have a blinkered view when it comes to Barca.

Neymar wanted a new challenge and you can respect him for that. He will win more league titles and domestic cups with PSG in the next few years than he would win with Barca but that's a given. I'd imagine that his main factor is relishing the challenge to help PSG reach CL semis, finals and even win the competition.

It's similar to Pogba, he wouldn't have rejoined United unless he had a bit of ambition to drag them back to the top of the PL and help them get into the later stages of the CL. And if he does help them to that he knows he'll be considered a legend there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Comical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How dare Dortmund not agree to Barcelona's offer! Free Dembele, let him join the club he supports.

rob316 wrote: »
    How dare Dortmund not agree to Barcelona's offer! Free Dembele, let him join the club he supports.

He's a slave Rob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I wonder if Dembele is snapchatting Coutihno? "See you at Barca bro".

" Dunno mate,this fella won't let me leave".

"Sure just sneak out and get on a flight,be grand".

" But Klopp says if I leave,they can't get anyone to join them to replace me."

"Feck them,it's Barcelona man".

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Do we really have to do this again?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

If Barca cant buy Dembele or Coutinho, who are they going to panic buy, that will surely cost them a pretty penny too.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Do we really have to do this again?

Discuss an ongoing transfer between BVB and Barca? Well it is the transfer thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

If Barca cant buy Dembele or Coutinho, who are they going to panic buy, that will surely cost them a pretty penny too.

Loic Remy should be able to pick him up for €75M or so.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement