Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If Barca cant buy Dembele or Coutinho, who are they going to panic buy, that will surely cost them a pretty penny too.

It's hard to think of anyone really.

Maybe they'd try for Griezman but I can't see AM selling now and they'd get more money next summer from United if they are still interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Rekop dog wrote: »
    That Danny Rose interview among the most moronic things I've ever read.

Spurs have had one of the best transfer window out of all clubs imo, they've managed to keep their bright young talent which is often more important than a "marquee" singing. Like everyone is praising Everton this window but they haven't signed anyone remotely near the quality of what they lost.

Hope he's dumped to the reserves, other big clubs should also take a wide berth of someone with such a retarded attitude too
    Madness when you think, he himself was a nobody when he signed
    I'd go as far as saying Eriksen for me Spurs best player (Really like Kane, just really really like Eriksen) was in Roses eyes a nobody
    Like you said a stupid interview to do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

emmetkenny wrote: »
    It's hard to think of anyone really.

Maybe they'd try for Griezman but I can't see AM selling now and they'd get more money next summer from United if they are still interested.

Griezman can be got in Jan, his buyout clause is 200m now but drops to 100m in January

That really says it all about Barca.

Throw a hissy fit when someone tries to buy one of their star names (even though it was all above board) and then turn around a week later and tell a player from another them to not turn up for training and orchestrate a move away.

Everything points to Dembele joining Barca over the weekend. 130m and they only bid 100 for Coutinho? The world's gone mad.

Dembele has a far higher ceiling than Coutinho but yes the transfer fees this summer are hilarious
    Dortmund must be making 100 odd million on him

Lukker- wrote: »
    Griezman can be got in Jan, his buyout clause is 200m now but drops to 100m in January

Is he still United bound? With him being a United fan I can't see him picking someone else over them.

If Barca cant buy Dembele or Coutinho, who are they going to panic buy, that will surely cost them a pretty penny too.

There has been nothing said about it, but my guess is Pjanic and Dybala
    Not really the discount isle :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Regarding Rose's comments, its a symptom of ENIC's tightness. They have zero net spend on transfers for years and the players are paid way below the market rate, more and more players will break rank and speak out. Financial prudence will win you absolutely nothing, its been proven time and time again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

rob316 wrote: »
    Regarding Rose's comments, its a symptom of ENIC's tightness. They have zero net spend on transfers for years and the players are paid way below the market rate, more and more players will break rank and speak out. Financial prudence will win you absolutely nothing, its been proven time and time again.

They're conducting a massive rebuild of WHL for the next couple of years. Could forgive them for being prudent and not saddled with debt. They're setting themselves up to be a big club, and not the yo yo club they have consistently been for the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Is he still United bound? With him being a United fan I can't see him picking someone else over them.

United will be back in for him, Jose spoke out about Bale so is clearly looking for that attacking option. If he wouldn't move due to a transfer ban he's not going to go to an Atleti rival.

On the Dembele front, if true it's a scummy move by him and Barca. Hope Dortmund don't let him register just as Barca have done to PSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Throw a hissy fit when someone tries to buy one of their star names (even though it was all above board) and then turn around a week later and tell a player from another them to not turn up for training and orchestrate a move away.

I thought there were rules against tapping players up or do they not matter when certain clubs do the tapping up?

I admire Southampton's stand on van Dijk and Swansea's stand on Sigurdsson good for the soul is that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He wants to join the club he supports and he wants to play for one of Europe's elite teams.

Pathetic .So blinkered but wouldn't expect anything less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

all above board is nonsense sorry, everything was agreed with the player before the bid was submitted,very few if any big transfers are done 'above board' .

ive no sympathy because its how it is,clubs pretend otherwise but its always been tapping up,sounding out etc, via agents,friends,its not hard to these days
    for any club

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

PSG are signing Mbappe according to Marca with Monaco and PSG finalising the paperwork for the deal.

They say Mbappe who was born in Paris is a PSG fan.
    PSG will pay €180 million for Mbappe.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/opinion/2017/08/10/598c7c0dca4741cb1c8b45a6.html

• Advertisement

RobertKK wrote: »
    PSG are signing Mbappe according to Marca with Monaco and PSG finalising the paperwork for the deal.

http://www.marca.com/en/football/international-football/opinion/2017/08/10/598c7c0dca4741cb1c8b45a6.html

Stepping stone to Madrid? Or PSG looking to have the best strike partnership for the next 8 or so years if Mbappe fulfills his potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Dropping 400m on 2 players :D supposedly the reports were another 40-50 on Fabinho too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The fire sale at PSG over the next few windows will be spectacular. The likes of Di Maria, Cavani, Aurier, Lucas Moura, Pastore and Draxler could all be available below market value. If they can afford Neymar and Mbappe without selling most of those, FFP might as well be scrapped immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Stepping stone to Madrid? Or PSG looking to have the best strike partnership for the next 8 or so years if Mbappe fulfills his potential.

I would say this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Monaco must have taken in close to 400 million in player sales at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Could secure Verratti's future for another while too which would be their best piece of business this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Looking forward to the rant if this does go through about how PSGs money is destroying the game and how Mbappe is a disgrace for turning his back on his club like that.

Billy86 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the rant if this does go through about how PSGs money is destroying the game and how Mbappe is a disgrace for turning his back on his club like that.

I dont get why people get so wound up about money being spent, only difference is instead of Real breaking the record every few years now more clubs are.
    If Qatar want to spend x amount of million, let them off
    FFP has only stopped anyone else break into the top teams which is bull**** imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

irishman86 wrote: »
    I dont get why people get so wound up about money being spent, only difference is instead of Real breaking the record every few years now more clubs are.
    If Qatar want to spend x amount of million, let them off
    FFP has only stopped anyone else break into the top teams which is bull**** imo

I agree about FFP being in place to keep the big boys big, but there needs to be some sort of cap. It's not sustainable and will end up destroying the game. Also FFP should be used to keep clubs like Portsmouth from getting to that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Reports are coming out that PSG offered 155m euro but Monaco want 200m+ For Mbappe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

astradave wrote: »
    Reports are coming out that PSG offered 155m euro but Monaco want 200m+ For Mbappe

200 million is just crazy for a player who has had one good season..

Imagine Harry Redknapp getting a 200 million budget..he would probably still buy Niko Krankjaer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Sure Mbappe and Dembele look special and have very rare potential but the fees proposed are batsh*t crazy, especially for Mbappe. Granted the market is f*cked and having the transfer record broken in two consecutive summers is rising all prices, but you're taking a massive gamble on two lads who're just out of puberty, if that even. At least Pogba and Neymar had proven themselves over a few seasons and had some concrete results behind them.

The way things are going you're going to be looking at half a billion transfers in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Duncan Castles says Mbappe will be presented as a PSG player on Monday.

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/895763617563516928

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So then is Mmmmbap about to become an ambassador for whichever Arab state owns PSG?

Lukker- wrote: »
    I agree about FFP being in place to keep the big boys big, but there needs to be some sort of cap. It's not sustainable and will end up destroying the game. Also FFP should be used to keep clubs like Portsmouth from getting to that position.

I agree, what I meant was if the owner were willing to give there own money and put it on crazy transfers off with them. Portsmouth owners didnt do that, I think its either been leveraged against the club or was loans. PSG/City arent like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Does Castles ever report anything that wasn't already leaking in the transfers home country? This 'am told...' stuff is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/partidazocope/status/895764759877996545

"Suarez and Messi have contacted Coutinho."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Out of curiosity can anyone with patience explain to this pleb whether or not these extraordinary transfer fees are part of an economic bubble or are actually more or less financially stable I.e is the market going to collapse in on itself?

Edit
    Suarez I'd slightly believe but why the fck would Messi contact him? He's probably never even spoken to the guy for more than five minutes. (Do they even speak the same language?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/partidazocope/status/895764759877996545

"Suarez and Messi have contacted Coutinho."

Same guys who literally made up a quote from Klopp earlier today

https://twitter.com/partidazocope/status/895760234421080064

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

irishman86 wrote: »
    I agree, what I meant was if the owner were willing to give there own money and put it on crazy transfers off with them. Portsmouth owners didnt do that, I think its either been leveraged against the club or was loans. PSG/City arent like that

I can't claim to know the intent of such owners but...

Say after the 2022 world cup in Qatar these billionaire Arabs decide they are bored with their PSG project and want to set up their own league back in Qatar or whatever else takes their fancy.

It's less of a problem for City I guess because the money in the the premier league is so high.

But for PSG should those boys decide to walk away then that club could be destroyed.

How exactly could they justify money like, 220m plus wages on Neymar and 160m plus wages on Mbappe with the money that's in the French league? They can't so they had to remove that money from appearing on their accounts.

Pull that Arab money away and they will be doing the quickest of quick fire sales to stay afloat.

Then you have the problem of, will someone pay a decent fee and match the money on a contract like neymar's (unbelievable wages)? There's not many sides that can do that money.

If no one will match it, what are PSG left with? The player isn't going to just walk away from a contract like that because they won't get it anywhere else.

What about players like Mbappe, Di Maria, Cavani, Verratti or Thiago Silva? No way PSG generates enough money to survive with those wages on their own.

Its maybe unlikely to happen that they walk away but PSG are in a position now where they are totally dependent on them not doing so. Financial Fair Play is at least an attempt to make sure that clubs don't get in over their heads and end up in a dangerous position to their own future.

It's been made an absolute mockery of by PSG in this transfer window but I seriously hope that there's some reformation of it because I do think Financial Fair Play is important to protect these clubs going forward.

If these owners still want to invest in a club by all means do it. Come in and improve facilities and structures inside the cub that helps the club grow over time, not overnight. Then they can break in and challenge big boys when they have solid ground to stand on. Creating their own money.

Financial Fair Play is the way football should work. The club spends what it makes through the hard work of the players and staff at the club not because some Arab, Chinese or whatever billionaire decide they fancy doing a real life version of a Fifa career mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Duncan Castles says Mbappe will be presented as a PSG player on Monday.

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/895763617563516928

So he's staying at Monaco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

PhilipsR wrote: »
    They're conducting a massive rebuild of WHL for the next couple of years. Could forgive them for being prudent and not saddled with debt. They're setting themselves up to be a big club, and not the yo yo club they have consistently been for the next 10 years.

Why? Nobody forgave Wenger for the same. Ridiculed him for years in fact!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

martyos121 wrote: »
    The fire sale at PSG over the next few windows will be spectacular. The likes of Di Maria, Cavani, Aurier, Lucas Moura, Pastore and Draxler could all be available below market value. If they can afford Neymar and Mbappe without selling most of those, FFP might as well be scrapped immediately.

FFP is dead. Neymar's acquisition cost PSG €0. It was a free transfer from a fee perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Never really looked into FFP. It looked like a joke from the beginning but just looking now and see there were some massive fines levied against a number of clubs particularly in 2014-15. City and PSG both fined €60M with €40M suspended. There's a serious shedload of money been pocketed by someone somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

FFP is/was a joke.
    Imagine UEFA sending some pencil pushing bookkeeper to the Mamic brothers in Zagreb to check the books?

Was more a show of "Look we do something" than actually doing something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I can't claim to know the intent of such owners but...

Say after the 2022 world cup in Qatar these billionaire Arabs decide they are bored with their PSG project and want to set up their own league back in Qatar or whatever else takes their fancy.

It's less of a problem for City I guess because the money in the the premier league is so high.

But for PSG should those boys decide to walk away then that club could be destroyed.

How exactly could they justify money like, 220m plus wages on Neymar and 160m plus wages on Mbappe with the money that's in the French league? They can't so they had to remove that money from appearing on their accounts.

Pull that Arab money away and they will be doing the quickest of quick fire sales to stay afloat.

Then you have the problem of, will someone pay a decent fee and match the money on a contract like neymar's (unbelievable wages)? There's not many sides that can do that money.

If no one will match it, what are PSG left with? The player isn't going to just walk away from a contract like that because they won't get it anywhere else.

What about players like Mbappe, Di Maria, Cavani, Verratti or Thiago Silva? No way PSG generates enough money to survive with those wages on their own.

Its maybe unlikely to happen that they walk away but PSG are in a position now where they are totally dependent on them not doing so. Financial Fair Play is at least an attempt to make sure that clubs don't get in over their heads and end up in a dangerous position to their own future.

It's been made an absolute mockery of by PSG in this transfer window but I seriously hope that there's some reformation of it because I do think Financial Fair Play is important to protect these clubs going forward.

If these owners still want to invest in a club by all means do it. Come in and improve facilities and structures inside the cub that helps the club grow over time, not overnight. Then they can break in and challenge big boys when they have solid ground to stand on. Creating their own money.

Financial Fair Play is the way football should work. The club spends what it makes through the hard work of the players and staff at the club not because some Arab, Chinese or whatever billionaire decide they fancy doing a real life version of a Fifa career mode.

The reason why FFP will not succeed is entwined in your (quite reasonable) suggestion of why it is required. Arab money may get bored, walk away and pull down a couple of clubs in their wake. But like it or lump it, FIFA and UEFA courted that Arab money for certain purposes (selling the World Cup; deepening interest for the game in new markets; utilizing sponsorship revenue for competitions and major clubs) while simultaneously trying to limit it for others (club acquisition; player acquisition; club investment). The idea that they could invite a powerful force onto the scene then control it and funnel it just the way they liked was a folly.

However, as reasonable as your statement about the risks of super rich owners going bored is in terms of the danger it brings for the clubs in thrall to them, the desire for stability and sameness in football is unrealistic given the spiraling commercial revenues being produced by the game. The notion that the game can undergo a tremendous growth in interest with ever bigger circulation and saturation and remain stable within that doesn't stack up. Everything about building a club up and maintaining a club at the top table has changed, the methods of scouting and acquiring players, the flows of talent, the agents, the fee structures, everything is different and changing. That creates opportunity and disruption and the desire to control it simply isn't realistic.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Another issue, particularly for English teams, is TV surely isn't sustainable at the current levels.

Sky are shelling out ludicrous sums of money for the EPL rights and had to increase prices and jettison other sports packages in order to do so. As a result, viewing figures dropped 14% last season (source). Online streaming is obviously having a big impact there too, and I can only see that increasing in popularity.

TV money surely has to drop, it's just a matter of how hard the fall is for English teams.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Another issue, particularly for English teams, is TV surely isn't sustainable at the current levels.

Sky are shelling out ludicrous sums of money for the EPL rights and had to increase prices and jettison other sports packages in order to do so. As a result, viewing figures dropped 14% last season (source). Online streaming is obviously having a big impact there too, and I can only see that increasing in popularity.

TV money surely has to drop, it's just a matter of how hard the fall is for English teams.
    Don't have a source at hand but the increase in global tv money looks like it was easily make up for any drop in UK tv money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The rights for the PL games when they come up again is likely to increase as all the bids are blind.

So Sky and BT have a tricky hand to deal with, bid low and miss out on games, bid too high and you'll never make money back, meaning monthly/yearly subs go up for the consumer.

As it stands, the money being paid for these games is mad and the hand me down to the clubs, to the tune of what, about 100m a season is part of the reason for the mental transfer market we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Short and to the point, I like it.

Awaits El Presidente, Piques update on Barcas stance here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

GLaDOS wrote: »

Figures are also a little different for last season to the seasons before as their were more games on TV last season, should be comparing this season to last season to see what is going on.

Then those figures will only count those watching on TV, they do not count those watching via Sky Go, BT Player or Now TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Barcelona continue to conduct themselves like a fúcking bunch of slithering hypocrites.

James Pearce has just reported they'd they've cancelled the Coutinho unveiling because Liverpool won't sell.

Classless isn't strong enough.

There isn't a shred of fúcking dignity in that club.

Short and to the point, I like it.

Awaits El Presidente, Piques update on Barcas stance here.

"Mr Couthino is being treated unfairly by Liverpool Football Club. The player wants to follow his Barcelona DNA and make the move to this great club.

This is tantamount to slavery and we at Barcelona FC wish to stand against this cruel and unusual punishment and free the player from his repressed state.

We urge the player to assist us with this brave cause and compel him to fight against his oppressors by any means necessary."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The rights for the PL games when they come up again is likely to increase as all the bids are blind.

So Sky and BT have a tricky hand to deal with, bid low and miss out on games, bid too high and you'll never make money back, meaning monthly/yearly subs go up for the consumer.

As it stands, the money being paid for these games is mad and the hand me down to the clubs, to the tune of what, about 100m a season is part of the reason for the mental transfer market we have.

The competition from BT and Sky has been terrible for the consumer and it's ironic that considering all the complaining from people for years regarding Sky's monopoly of sports rights in general , competition for them as been far far worse for premier league fans who want to watch on TV.Sky's monopoly of premier league rights was actually great for the premier league fan in the UK and Ireland with the only preferable alternative being the games on free to air.

I have a feeling in a few years time one of the firms will pull out/go bust or else collude with each other (although that is almost certainly illegal) and some sanity will return to the market.

Sky paid close the double for the last set of rights as they did before and the only way that would be justifiable would be in the UK's population doubled which of course it didn't.

• Advertisement
Advertisement