Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

SlickRic wrote: »
    Barcelona continue to conduct themselves like a fúcking bunch of slithering hypocrites.

James Pearce has just reported they'd they've cancelled the Coutinho unveiling because Liverpool won't sell.

Classless isn't strong enough.

There isn't a shred of fúcking dignity in that club.

Failing to see the problem with this. If the signing isn't going ahead then why would you want the unveiling to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Failing to see the problem with this. If the signing isn't going ahead then why would you want the unveiling to?

Your failing to see the arrogance of Barca in this, they were so confident they would sign the player they booked a press conference in advance. I mean who could refuse Barcelona their best players??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I suppose it's the fact that they arranged a press conference to unveil Couthino even though no bid was accepted.

Very presumptuous and arrogant of them wouldn't you say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Barcelona should have just gone ahead with the unveiling and then shown it next Summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

emmetkenny wrote: »

That was always going to be the case. He will be gone next summer though buy atleast it gives time to plan replacements.

rob316 wrote: »
    Your failing to see the arrogance of Barca in this, they were so confident they would sign the player they booked a press conference in advance. I mean who could refuse Barcelona their best players??

You mean they dared to make contingency plans for signing a player they were willing to spend almost 100 million pound on? Such arrogance. Fyi clubs do this all the time and sometimes it slips out into the public, from a stray name appearing as a jersey option on the club store, a news conference booked in advance or PSG asking for permission to parade a player through the streets before a deal is confirmed, these things happen all the time.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Barcelona should have just gone ahead with the unveiling and then shown it next Summer.

So far it looks like they are going to miss out on their two main targets in Dembele and Couthino. Couple that with losing one of their best players and with only few days until the season starts and it must be very worrying for their supporters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

emmetkenny wrote: »
    So far it looks like they are going to miss out on their two main targets in Dembele and Couthino. Couple that with losing one of their best players and with only few days until the season starts and it must be very worrying for their supporters

To be fair I was just thinking that the other day. It's a relatively recent development that Barca and Madrid became the destination clubs players aspire to. These things tend to be cyclical.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    To be fair I was just thinking that the other day. It's a relatively recent development that Barca and Madrid became the destination clubs players aspire to. These things tend to be cyclical.

I fully agree, I'd say we will see PSG as one of the premium destinations from now on.

Real were already ahead of Barca but have pulled a bit further ahead now. It's hard to see Barca challenging next season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The competition from BT and Sky has been terrible for the consumer and it's ironic that considering all the complaining from people for years regarding Sky's monopoly of sports rights in general , competition for them as been far far worse for premier league fans who want to watch on TV.Sky's monopoly of premier league rights was actually great for the premier league fan in the UK and Ireland with the only preferable alternative being the games on free to air.

I have a feeling in a few years time one of the firms will pull out/go bust or else collude with each other (although that is almost certainly illegal) and some sanity will return to the market.

Sky paid close the double for the last set of rights as they did before and the only way that would be justifiable would be in the UK's population doubled which of course it didn't.

Thats the problem with the blind bid, you one doesnt know how much the other is bidding, unless of course they agree not to start outbidding each other and divide up the games between them, Sky has the majority of the PL games anyway but lost out to BT for the CL for the foreseeable future.

It surely cant sustain itself in the current model when theyre paying billions each for TV rights to show games they a lot of people stream anyway.

Well, I'll stream Chelsea games if theyre not on Sky, I'd rarely sit in on Friday/Saturday/Sunday/Monday to watch another team, unless I'm doing feck all.

I'd say a lot fans would prefer an option where they only pay to see the team they support but that would mean clubs setting up their own service which would be grand for the biggest clubs but the smaller teams would miss out on the huge hand me down from BT/Sky and wouldnt make anywhere enough money from it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Another issue, particularly for English teams, is TV surely isn't sustainable at the current levels.

Sky are shelling out ludicrous sums of money for the EPL rights and had to increase prices and jettison other sports packages in order to do so. As a result, viewing figures dropped 14% last season (source). Online streaming is obviously having a big impact there too, and I can only see that increasing in popularity.

TV money surely has to drop, it's just a matter of how hard the fall is for English teams.
    There are so many side contract etc etc but surely the best solution for fans which the PL could profit off hugely too would be something like NFL Gamepass? Basically the NFL is just a 17 week season (plus four weeks of playoffs, so 21) and charge €160 for access to their 'gamepass' feature for the year. For that you get every game live as you wish, the option to show up to four games at once (though there are worries that might be gone this year), a live highlights show called 'gamepass' showing touchdowns, big plays, etc as they happen, a choice of full games replayed, or extended highlights, or condensed highlights typically within a few hours of the games ending, as well as extensive coverage of news etc, documentaries on the sport (players careers, seasons ala Premiership Years on Sky, etc etc) and of the NFL draft and free agency (so equivalent to the transfer window).

I'd imagine for a dead cert guarantee to that kind of access the Premier League could charge €300+ quite easily per year and absolutely rake in subscribers on a global basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If subs keep falling they won't exceed the price they currently pay, blind bind or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The tv thing is tricky. If sky lose the premier league they are f**ked. It's like ESPN in the states. They are paying insane money for the Monday night nfl game but loads of people are dropping cable in the us (about 15 million homes in 5 years). Does ESPN give up the NFL contract when it's due in 2021 and risk losing far more or pay over the odds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

You mean they dared to make contingency plans for signing a player they were willing to spend almost 100 million pound on? Such arrogance. Fyi clubs do this all the time and sometimes it slips out into the public, from a stray name appearing as a jersey option on the club store, a news conference booked in advance or PSG asking for permission to parade a player through the streets before a deal is confirmed, these things happen all the time.

Why do you feel you have to act as a propaganda/ PR officer for Barca all the time!
    Take a deep breath, ease yourself out of this mode and just save a bit of face and admit the actions of Barca re transfer dealings this Summer have been hypocritical, arrogant and rather poorly managed.

It is funny, but even the most ardent of Barca supporters are p*ssed off with how the club has managed Neymar and Coutinho debacles the last few months and the Dembele stuff is becoming, slowly, more bizarre than either of them.

Why do you feel you have to act as a propaganda/ PR officer for Barca all the time!
    Take a deep breath, ease yourself out of this mode and just save a bit of face and admit the actions of Barca re transfer dealings this Summer have been hypocritical, arrogant and rather poorly managed.

It is funny, but even the most ardent of Barca supporters are p*ssed off with how the club has managed Neymar and Coutinho debacles the last few months and the Dembele stuff is becoming, slowly, more bizarre than either of them.

That'd be fine if literally every club in the world didn't have contingency plans in case the player they've been chasing all summer were to actually arrive at the club. Calling a club arrogant for not having the audacity to run around like headless chickens if one of their man transfer targets arrived seems a bit off to me.

Sure, but we'll see by the end of the window what tue situation is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

That'd be fine if literally every club in the world didn't have contingency plans in case the player they've been chasing all summer were to actually arrive at the club. Calling a club arrogant for not having the audacity to run around like headless chickens if one of their man transfer targets arrived seems a bit off to me.

Sure, but we'll see by the end of the window what tue situation is.

The club and fans like yourself are extremely arrogant when it comes to players "that should be playing at the top level at Barca"

Now that you have invited the term into the debate, ironically, there is a very much theme of "running around like headless chickens" about Barca's own transfer approach this Summer.

If anything you should be a little peeved with them and not damning players like Neymar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Turtwig wrote: »
    Out of curiosity can anyone with patience explain to this pleb whether or not these extraordinary transfer fees are part of an economic bubble or are actually more or less financially stable I.e is the market going to collapse in on itself?

Edit
    Suarez I'd slightly believe but why the fck would Messi contact him? He's probably never even spoken to the guy for more than five minutes. (Do they even speak the same language?)

Portugese and Spanish have a lot of similarity then add in the fact Coutinho played in Spain, I'd presume they can have a conversation
    I dont disagree with you though for Messi to contact him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nothing was confirmed. No bid was accepted. Liverpool had always said no sale. But Barca assumed they'd get him.

Plus the information on the unveiling was leaked, presumably to add more pressure.

It was arrogant. It was presumptuous. It reeked of trying to bulldoze a deal through, and trying to actively unsettle a player.

It was public wànkery of the highest order that we've come to expect when Barca are buying players.

Billy86 wrote: »
    There are so many side contract etc etc but surely the best solution for fans which the PL could profit off hugely too would be something like NFL Gamepass? Basically the NFL is just a 17 week season (plus four weeks of playoffs, so 21) and charge €160 for access to their 'gamepass' feature for the year. For that you get every game live as you wish, the option to show up to four games at once (though there are worries that might be gone this year), a live highlights show called 'gamepass' showing touchdowns, big plays, etc as they happen, a choice of full games replayed, or extended highlights, or condensed highlights typically within a few hours of the games ending, as well as extensive coverage of news etc, documentaries on the sport (players careers, seasons ala Premiership Years on Sky, etc etc) and of the NFL draft and free agency (so equivalent to the transfer window).

I'd imagine for a dead cert guarantee to that kind of access the Premier League could charge €300+ quite easily per year and absolutely rake in subscribers on a global basis.

Unless they can cut off all streams and they cant, people wont pay €300 for the service.

I know I wouldnt pay €300 to watch, in essence, 30+ Chelsea games.

Even though if as part of that package I'd get every other game, I wouldnt avail of it, if I told the other half that I'd be able to watch any game at any time and spend nearly all Saturday and Sunday in watching games, she'd lose the plot.

Although this is slightly related to transfers, I fear we're getting off-topic. :o

• Advertisement

I can't claim to know the intent of such owners but...

Say after the 2022 world cup in Qatar these billionaire Arabs decide they are bored with their PSG project and want to set up their own league back in Qatar or whatever else takes their fancy.

It's less of a problem for City I guess because the money in the the premier league is so high.

But for PSG should those boys decide to walk away then that club could be destroyed.

How exactly could they justify money like, 220m plus wages on Neymar and 160m plus wages on Mbappe with the money that's in the French league? They can't so they had to remove that money from appearing on their accounts.

Pull that Arab money away and they will be doing the quickest of quick fire sales to stay afloat.

Then you have the problem of, will someone pay a decent fee and match the money on a contract like neymar's (unbelievable wages)? There's not many sides that can do that money.

If no one will match it, what are PSG left with? The player isn't going to just walk away from a contract like that because they won't get it anywhere else.

What about players like Mbappe, Di Maria, Cavani, Verratti or Thiago Silva? No way PSG generates enough money to survive with those wages on their own.

Its maybe unlikely to happen that they walk away but PSG are in a position now where they are totally dependent on them not doing so. Financial Fair Play is at least an attempt to make sure that clubs don't get in over their heads and end up in a dangerous position to their own future.

It's been made an absolute mockery of by PSG in this transfer window but I seriously hope that there's some reformation of it because I do think Financial Fair Play is important to protect these clubs going forward.

If these owners still want to invest in a club by all means do it. Come in and improve facilities and structures inside the cub that helps the club grow over time, not overnight. Then they can break in and challenge big boys when they have solid ground to stand on. Creating their own money.

Financial Fair Play is the way football should work. The club spends what it makes through the hard work of the players and staff at the club not because some Arab, Chinese or whatever billionaire decide they fancy doing a real life version of a Fifa career mode.
    If they wanted to set up a Qatar league like China it would have already been done
    A big part of the PSG adventure is marketing exposure, not just for the world cup that would be very short sighted
    FFP does one thing though, it keeps everything the same, United are massive and will never fall away in the same way City would never have came into power if it had been implemented earlier.
    Clubs like Newcastle will never challenge again as FFP has killed there chance without a miracle Leicester season
    So i disagree that a club needs to be built from within playing by FFP rules, there needs to be a fairer system in place such as a salary cap.

Nothing was confirmed. No bid was accepted. Liverpool had always said no sale. But Barca assumed they'd get him.

Plus the information on the unveiling was leaked, presumably to add more pressure.

It's was arrogant. It was presumptuous. It reeked of trying to bulldoze a deal through, and trying to actively unsettle a player.

It was public wànkery of the highest order that we've come to expect when Barca are buying players.

I wonder why we never saw this level of idignation from you when Paris were chasing Neymar? No deal agreed, la liga literally refusing their money yet they were planning to parade Neymar on the streets of Paris and light up the Eiffel Tower the colours of PSG! Time to transfer some of that outrage I'd say.

It's was arrogant. It was presumptuous. It reeked of trying to bulldoze a deal through, and trying to actively unsettle a player.

Its gloriously stupid that they leaked details of it, its basically saying to the player and fans that they assumed a deal would go through because we're Barca and why shouldnt we be able to cherry pick players when we see fit.

The arrogance and hypocrisy is baffling, only the other week, they were crying over PSG going after Neymar and hoping that the deal was against FFP. The sense of entitlement about this and I'm assuming Dembele is sickening.

One week they dare to question a player leaving for PSG and the next week theyre questionning a player/club not wanting to sell/move to Barca.

You couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I hear Galway United are planning to unveil Coutinho at 1.30pm today.

I wonder why we never saw this level of idignation from you when Paris were chasing Neymar? No deal agreed, la liga literally refusing their money yet they were planning to parade Neymar on the streets of Paris and light up the Eiffel Tower the colours of PSG! Time to transfer some of that outrage I'd say.

There is no comparison.

PSG offered the release clause. Barca and/or La Liga refused it, even though they couldn't really, and tried to get FFP to fight their battle for them, pretty much throwing a hissy fit.

It was all done amicably from the buying club. No leaks. No press conference being talked about. The player getting on with his job until the deal was done. Many of his teammates after the deal (like Messi) paying tribute to him, showing how well the player conducted himself during the deal.

No comparison whatsoever.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I hear Galway United are planning to unveil Coutinho at 1.30pm today.

Its PSG grabbing Mbappe under Reals noses all over again :mad:

• Advertisement

There is no comparison.

PSG offered the release clause. Barca and/or La Liga refused it, even though they couldn't really, and tried to get FFP to fight their battle for them, pretty much throwing a hissy fit.

It was all done amicably from the buying club. No leaks. No press conference being talked about. The player getting on with his job until the deal was done. Many of his teammates after the deal (like Messi) paying tribute to him, showing how well the player conducted himself during the deal.

No comparison whatsoever.

Strange view of it. I'm not sure if a deal has ever had more leaks, given the amount of attention on it and stories constantly coming from both club camps and the Neymar camp. One of those leaks being that Barca players were sick of Neymar's attitude during the whole thing. The player literally had a training ground bust up with a young player just signed to the club and had a shouting match with the new coach. Amicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Unless they can cut off all streams and they cant, people wont pay €300 for the service.

Even though if as part of that package I'd get every other game, I wouldnt avail of it, if I told the other half that I'd be able to watch any game at any time and spend nearly all Saturday and Sunday in watching games, she'd lose the plot.

Although this is slightly related to transfers, I fear we're getting off-topic. :o

Looks like Ireland and UK are way backwards in technology. :pac:

You should come to India, we get almost all PL games live in 6-8 channels (All ManUtd games are live on TV and most of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool games too) and Bundesliga, 6-8 channels for La Liga, Serie A, French league and . We even get Dutch league in 2 channels.

All in all we get nearly 20 channels which shows all top 5 leagues and

Dutch League, Champions league and Europa League, UEFA youth CL.

For all this we pay less than 3 Euros per month. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Looks like Ireland and UK are way backwards in technology. :pac:

You should come to India,we get almost all PL games live in 6-8 channels (All ManUtd games are live on TV and most of Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool games too) and Bundesliga, 6-8 channels for La Liga, Serie A, French league and . We even get Dutch league in 2 channels.

All in all we get nearly 20 channels which shows all top 5 leagues and

Dutch League, Champions league and Europa League, UEFA youth CL.

For all this we pay less than 3 Euros per month. :D

I would, but My fair skin couldn't live with that heat :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Yeah... but they earn €2 per month on average there.

I would be ****ed if one way or the other they manage to ban streams.
    I only want to see Feyenoord but for that i would have to take out €60 a month for basic tv/sky and then i can only hope they broadcast Feyenoord in the weekend.

Globalisation my arse. I might have to move half the world to find a job but getting my favourite team on tv...... Nope.

inforfun wrote: »
    Yeah... but they earn €2 per month on average there.

I would be ****ed if one way or the other they manage to ban streams.
    I only want to see Feyenoord but for that i would have to take out €60 a month for basic tv/sky and then i can only hope they broadcast Feyenoord in the weekend.

Globalisation my arse. I might have to move half the world to find a job but getting my favourite team on tv...... Nope.

I haven't checked Dutch league but whenever I flip channels Ajax or PSV matches are on.

Not sure about Ireland but in last few years football broadcasting has increased amazingly in Asia, or at least in India.

• Advertisement

Last year they were on sky mix at times but that started after i had cancelled tv....

Sky do Dutch matches, most of the times a sunday 1.30 match but Feyenoord isnt a certainty.
    Add BT for the CL, because Feyenoord will be playing there and i would be spending €1000 in a year and only be guaranteed 6 cl matches.
    I can fly to home and away matches and get a ticket 6x in the CL for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It was arrogant. It was presumptuous. It reeked of trying to bulldoze a deal through, and trying to actively unsettle a player.

Blackpool? Liverpool are pretty bad for unsettling players too, to be fair. Barca are the worst for it though, Fabregas still leaves a bitter taste for the way they conducted that.

To each their own, I happily would because I hate the unreliability and poor quality of streams, but yeah we're getting well off topic! :o

Barca really are embarrassing themselves, eh? Can't believe I'm actually saying this but I'd be quite happy to see Coutinho stay at Liverpool given the circumstances! :pac:

Strange view of it. I'm not sure if a deal has ever had more leaks, given the amount of attention on it and stories constantly coming from both club camps and the Neymar camp. One of those leaks being that Barca players were sick of Neymar's attitude during the whole thing. The player literally had a training ground bust up with a young player just signed to the club and had a shouting match with the new coach. Amicable.

cescget_1677880c.jpg

Cry us a river.

Billy86 wrote: »
    cescget_1677880c.jpg

Cry us a river.

Caption: Barca lad wanted to play for club he supported and grew up at.

If only transfers were so easy and uncomplicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just breaking now,Coutinho hands in transfer request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So that automatically severs his contract with his current employers :pac:

I assumed Couthino would stay and move next year.

Interesting 3 weeks to see if Liverpool can hang on to him.

Its strange though that they put out a statement only a few hours ago and that a transfer request has come out of it.

• Advertisement

Oops, maybe get that unveiling back on.

Caption: Barca undermine player's professional contract at every opportunity, including a World Cup winning parade for Spain and not Barcelona.

...or better yet...

Caption: Barcelona completely disrespect transfer process, set dangerous precedent.

Oops, maybe get that unveiling back on.

As usual, Barca will likely get what they want after public wankery, while acting like whiny fúckers when a player dares to leave them.

Well done.

Classy as ever.

You should be very proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I wonder will you speak with the same tone about Dembele who had a training ground bust up with their reserve keeper earlier this month, and went awol from their training camp and has subsequently been suspended by Dortmund after a bid was rejected?

That is fine.

However putting that same lad in a Barca shirt while celebrating the Spanish world cup win is
    i dont want to get banned

Liverpool Journalists tweeted that the news is not true, that Coutinho handing in transfer request.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Liverpool Journalists tweeted that the news is not true, that Coutinho handing in transfer request.

But but Sky tagged him in the tweet an all

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Sky sources. Ah here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I assumed Couthino would stay and move next year.

Interesting 3 weeks to see if Liverpool can hang on to him.

Its strange though that they put out a statement only a few hours ago and that a transfer request has come out of it.
    They'll probably get one more season out of him. Though how effective an unhappy player will be for them remains to be seen. The counter argument, of course, is that if he turns to s**t this coming season, will Barca still want him? It's in his interest to keep last season's form going.

• Advertisement

Some journos saying Couthino was "devasted" that the bid was rejected.

At least we'll get a few days out of this rumour anyway. :pac:

Advertisement