Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Made of glass, always injured.

That wasnt part of the question.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Reus

Not due back from his current injury until January.

Not due back from his current injury until January.

So could get over the next 2 windows

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

No doubting Reus' ability but you cannot rely on him with his constant injuries, and you definitely couldn't rely on him to replace someone as integral to the team as Coutinho.

Burial. wrote: »
    No doubting Reus' ability but you cannot rely on him with his constant injuries, and you definitely couldn't rely on him to replace someone as integral to the team as Coutinho.

Coutinho isnt that consistant,he goes missing for games,talented but overrated .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Coutinho isnt that consistant,he goes missing for games,talented but overrated .

Whether that's true or not is a completely different matter and is completely irrelevant to this discussion but okay.....

The fact is of Coutinho was to leave, Liverpool need an immediate replacement in the same calibre. Reus isn't available until the new year are the very earliest and there's no doubt he'll even be able to play week in week out. Simply not an adequate replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭xtal191

Meh I reckon Liverpool will still finish top 4 if they sell Coutinho

Burial. wrote: »
    Whether that's true or not is a completely different matter and is completely irrelevant to this discussion but okay.....

The fact is of Coutinho was to leave, Liverpool need an immediate replacement in the same calibre. Reus isn't available until the new year are the very earliest and there's no doubt he'll even be able to play week in week out. Simply not an adequate replacement.

I said over the next two windows,whether his injurys affect him remains to be seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Who? Name a single player better than Coutinho in that position who Liverpool could attract

Bonaventura could possibly be got
    Although now that Milan have the money he may not
    Lucas from PSG played more times for Brazil and younger than Coutinho would be another
    There is players of similar level to Coutinho that would be get able for Liverpool
    I personally think they shouldnt give into the bullying and should force him to play another year, he has a long contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If Pool had been given time to plan for this would they have been willing to sell if the replacement(s) were already signed?
    Seems like this came outta the blue,suppose Barca never thought they would lose Neymer.
    If VVD and Keita were bought along with 2 or 3 others would it be a different story.The team wouldn't have been weakened with little chance of getting a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Is Coutinho irreplaceable? No.

Would any other team spend 100m on him? No imo.

Could Liverpool get a better player for 100m? I'd say yes.

I'd sell if I was them. I feel the deal has gotten far too emotional. There's plenty of players who can provide what he does. The rigid thinking has really held Liverpool back this window, not moving on to backup targets when rebuffed by VVD and Keita.

Fans may not be happy but there are plenty of players around who they can get in 3 weeks. It may not be this season but in the long term it's better for them to sell and reinvest imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

yabadabado wrote: »
    Seems like this came outta the blue,suppose Barca never thought they would lose Neymer.

I'd say this is what has happened. Barca didn't expect to loose Neymar and their plans had to change. Liverpool were not expecting a bid for another 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

If I were Pool' I would be all over someone like Draxler.

He might be available due to an overstacked PSG and he would be an excellent replacement for Couts as he can play CAM and LW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its not much hassle . He wants to go and rightly so as its a move to one of the big 2. However he is under contract and can leave next year when Liverpool can plan his departure better. They don't need the money and come September coutinho will need Liverpool as much as they will need him. It would be crazy to sell him this summer and I can't see it happening.

What defines them as one of the big two?

Genuinely interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This has been one of the more entertaining transfer windows in recent memory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Toobz wrote: »

He might be available due to an overstacked PSG and he would be an excellent replacement for Couts as he can play CAM and LW.

Draxler's going nowhere, he's been superb since he signed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Liam O wrote: »
    Could Liverpool get a better player for 100m? I'd say yes.

Who?
    irishman86 wrote: »
    Bonaventura could possibly be got
    Although now that Milan have the money he may not
    Lucas from PSG played more times for Brazil and younger than Coutinho would be another
    There is players of similar level to Coutinho that would be get able for Liverpool
    I personally think they shouldnt give into the bullying and should force him to play another year, he has a long contract

Toobz wrote: »

I haven't seen much of Lucas, but presumably if he's that good, he'll have better options. Same goes for Draxler, didn't he turn down Arsenal?

Even within England alone the reality is that there's a few clubs that can pay more money, have more chance of success, and are located in cities that are far more appealing to foreign players than Liverpool. Liverpool are far from the top of any top player's wish list.

I'll be sick if Coutinho goes for anything less than £180m. That's what it will take for Liverpool to come out of this stronger, enough for two players in the top bracket of what Liverpool can attract. The club don't need to sell and Barca have plenty of cash right now, so while I don't think he's a £180m player, it's not far off what he's worth to Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/896101539529371648

"Liverpool price Philippe Coutinho at €150million in secret negotiations with Barcelona. "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

zerks wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/DuncanCastles/status/896101539529371648

"Liverpool price Philippe Coutinho at €150million in secret negotiations with Barcelona. "

If Barca pay that price for him they're ****ing idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Duncan Castles, despite being an all around spoofer, somehow knows all about Barcelona's "secret" negotiations.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/ilcano22/status/896123860973625344

Spurs close to the signing of Davinson Sanchez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I had to Google him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

https://twitter.com/ilcano22/status/896123860973625344

Spurs close to the signing of Davinson Sanchez.

Rose wont like that
    I wonder does the fact hes been linked to Barca make it ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is ludicrous, how can they keep doing this and not get a transfer ban?

They'll have to sell half the existing squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The should really change there name :-

Quatar Saint Germain (QSG)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Between City & PSG that's a lot of Qatar money going to agents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I'm sure they have some very imaginative lawyers who have stufied the wording around FFP very carefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ffp as it stands is a load of balls. If a club has enough money from rich owners and they're not putting the club in debt then let them spend what they want and climb the ladder. What Ffp should be used for is to stop a situation like what happened United a few years ago putting a massive club in actual danger of going under with loans against it. Once the money isn't borrowed then spend away.

And I'm a fan of a club (like yourself) that oil money has in effect made less successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Well the Neymar transfer fee (despite us all knowing where it came from) actually didn't go through PSG. So it's not on their books. Only his wages and there's probably some creative accounting around that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Well the Neymar transfer fee (despite us all knowing where it came from) actually didn't go through PSG. So it's not on their books. Only his wages and there's probably some creative accounting around that as well.

Plenty of it going on, Liverpool's wages bill was more than man city last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sword1 wrote: »
    Plenty of it going on, Liverpool's wages bill was more than man city last year.

Man City players are paid through a different company to all other staff at the club. Liverpool wage bill includes everyone's wage at the club. Or at least I think I read something along those lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Between City & PSG that's a lot of Qatar money going to agents.

City owners are Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭rwbug

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Man City players are paid through a different company to all other staff at the club. Liverpool wage bill includes everyone's wage at the club. Or at least I think I read something along those lines.

Kind of correct and incorrect too. Because of FFP sanctions and trying to be as efficient as possible City separated all City Football Group activity from Manchester City activities.

What it means is that for anyone who works for both City and CFG - their work is charged to a separate company - to be paid by whoever uses their services - including City. Anyone who works for only City - like the vast majority of employees, are charged simply as City employees and appear on the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Just going back to Coutinho, he's not a Barca level player IMO where Suarez obviously was and is.

The fact is most of the best players out there are at Bayern, PSG and Real. Itll be hard to add quality. I think they should make the midfield area stronger rather than focus on attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Irish_rat wrote:
    Just going back to Coutinho, he's not a Barca level player IMO where Suarez obviously was and is.

Barcelona disagree with you

Mr.H wrote: »
    Barcelona disagree with you

Someone should really contact them and let them know.

Let's get the most convincing person we can to talk to both Phil and Barca........... Hey B-Rodge.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

This isn't prime Barca Coutinho has to squeeze into.
    Their midfield 3/4 are good but they're not Xavi/Busquets/Iniesta from 2009 good.

It's maybe a bit of a toss up between Rakitic and Coutinho but they do enough different things that they can play together.

Iniesta is half the player Coutinho is these days.
    Otherwise you're looking at Turan and Gomes.

People seem to just assume that Barcelona have a brilliant team 1-11.
    They're miles behind Madrid in most respects. Their saving grace has been their ridiculous front 3 - arguably the best strike force ever seen.

• Advertisement

I guess we are going to see Phil in the new barca front 3 and then take iniestas role next year. That would possibly mean they really could be looking for dembele as well as oppose to being an alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Gbear wrote: »
    This isn't prime Barca Coutinho has to squeeze into.
    Their midfield 3/4 are good but they're not Xavi/Busquets/Iniesta from 2009 good.

It's maybe a bit of a toss up between Rakitic and Coutinho but they do enough different things that they can play together.

Iniesta is half the player Coutinho is these days.
    Otherwise you're looking at Turan and Gomes.

People seem to just assume that Barcelona have a brilliant team 1-11.
    They're miles behind Madrid in most respects. Their saving grace has been their ridiculous front 3 - arguably the best strike force ever seen.

"Iniesta is half the player Coutinho is these days"

I have no words for that. Speechless.

"Iniesta is half the player Coutinho is these days"

I have no words for that. Speechless.

To be fair I get the sentiment. I dont agree but I get what they mean.

Iniesta is slowing down and Coutinho is on the rise. I wouldnt even try to claim who is better. Right now for me I dont think there is much in it between them. I definitely wouldnt go as far as to say "half the player"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It looks like Liverpool hold all the aces here. Coutinho signed a new contract only a few months ago, this is a world cup year and we know the player wants to play for his country so it's not in his best interests to play below his very best or anything like that.

I don't see this move happening and it's nice to see Barcelona forced to sell a player and not being able to get who they want for once. They've done it plenty of times to other clubs, Suarez and Fabregas come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

eagle eye wrote: »
    It looks like Liverpool hold all the aces here. Coutinho signed a new contract only a few months ago, this is a world cup year and we know the player wants to play for his country so it's not in his best interests to play below his very best or anything like that.

I don't see this move happening and it's nice to see Barcelona forced to sell a player and not being able to get who they want for once. They've done it plenty of times to other clubs, Suarez and Fabregas come to mind.

Yup I'm still very confident he will stay this season and he will play well - as you say it's a WC year, he can't afford to down tools and Liverpool are under no obligation or financial pressure to sell.

With Salah signing, it seems that Klopp predominantly sees Cout as playing a deeper creative midfield role from the midfield 3 (as opposed to his usual "wide 10" position). Naby Keita will become available for £48m next summer, so at that stage I think Klopp will be happy to let Coutinho go nest year (I still think Barca will be interested) and while Keita is a different style player he would slot straight into our strongest team for him. Liverpool would also hopefully have the funds to sign a more Coutinho-esque player on top of that to bolster the squad (maybe Ziyech from Ajax).

However, getting these deals done at this stage is impossible. So he will almost certainly go, but I think it will be next summer.

If this had all happened in June he might have got his move, but you can't expect Liverpool to sell at this stage.

And while it's totally understandable that Cout wants to go to Barca (no one was kidding themselves that he didn't), it's very disappointing to see him submit a transfer request on the eve of the new season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

In fairness, Liverpool can't complain MASSIVELY (although to a smaller extent) about Coutinho situation considering how they INITIALLY handled VVD approach. I am not saying it is a case of karma, nor am I saying that it doesn't happen at all levels of transfer dealings, but it is a dog eat dog market, in that respect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In fairness, Liverpool can't complain MASSIVELY (although to a smaller extent) about Coutinho situation considering how they INITIALLY handled VVD approach. I am not saying it is a case of karma, nor am I saying that it doesn't happen at all levels of transfer dealings, but it is a dog eat dog market, in that respect
    I think it's a lot different of how early Liverpool went after VVD. Barcelona have only decided to up their interest now after losing Neymar which is far too late imo.

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/896280612444794881

"Mahrez offered to Barca."

Didn't know Liverpool were allowed to offer other club's players.:)

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think it's a lot different of how early Liverpool went after VVD. Barcelona have only decided to up their interest now after losing Neymar which is far too late imo.

Ah, come on. The relative expediency of both approaches does not defeat the comparison.
    I don't see the point there.
    If anything, the VVD approach was much more underhand in that they had plenty of time to approach Southampton during the Summer, whereas Barca (who we all probably knew had an interest in PC anyway, Neymar going or not) have to take a bit of a more rushed approach, which may cloud its legitimacy in the eyes of anyone really but Barca fans.

The VVD approach was bordering on illegal, the Barca approach seems more arrogant and "desperate" in comparison.

I am not defending Barca's role in the PC affair but they will always get the "big club" negative attention in these situations but on the domestic front, Liverpool's approach to VVD is, relatively the same "BIG CLUB v SMALLER CLUB" situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Ah, come on. The relative expediency of both approaches does not defeat the comparison.
    I don't see the point there.
    If anything, the VVD approach was much more underhand in that they had plenty of time to approach Southampton during the Summer, whereas Barca (who we all probably knew had an interest in PC anyway, Neymar going or not) have to take a bit of a more rushed approach, which may cloud its legitimacy in the eyes of anyone really but Barca fans.

The VVD approach was bordering on illegal, the Barca approach seems more arrogant and "desperate" in comparison.

I am not defending Barca's role in the PC affair but they will always get the "big club" negative attention in these situations but on the domestic front, Liverpool's approach to VVD is, relatively the same "BIG CLUB v SMALLER CLUB" situation.

What makes Barcelona a bigger club than the English ones?

I'd have Liverpool United Barca Real and a few more as massive clubs

https://twitter.com/Sport_Witness/status/896280612444794881

"Mahrez offered to Barca."

Didn't know Liverpool were allowed to offer other club's players.:)

Probably just a column filler and definitely not a game changing loss for Leicester. They will still be a mid table club, with or without him and, in fact, they are clogged up with midfield/attacking options for the season ahead, considering they don't have European football and have invested in some tidy players.

When I say mid table, there is arguments they may pull a top 7 or even 6 place out of the bag..........and dare I say............

If they can pull 40 odd million for him (max) and keep DD and buy someone on the lines of Townsend and probably a centre back, their squad is in decent state.

I can see Chelsea buying Mahrez in fairness, if anyone. They are going to sneek under the radar at some stage, considering Conte has been outspoken about his squad size or lack thereof.

• Advertisement
Advertisement