Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

naughtb4 wrote: »
    What makes Barcelona a bigger club than the English ones?

I'd have Liverpool United Barca Real and a few more as massive clubs

In the modern day urban dictionary definition of "bigger club", Barcelona are very much a "bigger club" than Liverpool.

I am not sure why you need to question this.

There is no quantitative definition but recent success, prestige, ability to attract players, expectations, headline grabbing etc. These being some of the many reasons.

That is no disrespect to Liverpool. Liverpool are a massive European club throughout the decades, especially in the 70s and 80s.

I guess I am more concentrated on the "team" element of it, rather than the club itself at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

naughtb4 wrote:

Standards. Getting a top 4 spot and winning a domestic cup isn't good enough at Barca. When your competing directly with Real Madrid with those required levels that shows how high of a level they have been at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I do really feel a player should be allowed move to whatever club he wants if they accept him. The notion of being locked into a employment is scary. It's acceptable now because sport is mostly humane and people rationalize the unethical nature away because of the wages top level payers receive but the principle is still largely wrong imo. It's similar to a company controlling your visa and passport so you cannot leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Turtwig wrote: »
    I do really feel a player should be allowed move to whatever club he wants if they accept him. The notion of being locked into a employment is scary. It's acceptable now because sport is mostly humane and people rationalize the unethical nature away because of the wages top level payers receive but the principle is still largely wrong imo. It's similar to a company controlling your visa and passport so you cannot leave.

Then sign one year deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I'd swap places with any professional footballer. I'll gladly be locked into their employment. They can take my job and have freedom of movement if they like.

Well you can't just break a contract yourself without mutual agreement and not suffer repercussions.

Not how the law works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

pjohnson wrote: »

I'd be in favour of this, contracts are now purely notional in their legal effect. If a player downs tools or hands in a request it's because they want to leave, let them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ERG89 wrote: »
    Standards. Getting a top 4 spot and winning a domestic cup isn't good enough at Barca. When your competing directly with Real Madrid with those required levels that shows how high of a level they have been at.

Just feel the Spanish two seem to be put above all others (Bayern Juve etc) as "bigger" (even Atlético)

I just don't think we would be having the same conversation if Bayern were in for him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

naughtb4 wrote:
    So Madrid are a bigger club than Barcelona then?
    Just feel the Spanish two seem to be put above all others (Bayern Juve etc) as "bigger".
    I just don't think we would be having the same conversation if Bayern were in for him

Madrid have won 3 of the last 4 Champions leagues, they are ahead of Barca & every tram in the world now. Barca have won leagues in that time.
    Juve can't stay on their level long term when they sell starters so regularly as that catches up eventually.
    Bayern then are a top side too but with players aging and or retiring they have a big couple of years ahead. I think they'll regret not buying a winger to replace Ribery & to play when Robben is injured. James may not be what they are looking for in that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Mr.H wrote: »
    Barcelona disagree with you

Going by there previous record of signing players im not sure i'd trust them
    How much have they spent on defenders exactly in the last 10 years :pac:

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:
    I love when the guys on the lash friday come on to post :pac:

In basketball a few of the stars do sign 1+1 with the second a player option
    They do this as they arent stupid and know if they get injured they have a years contract
    If Zlatan had something similar he would have a years contract at United while he recovered

Just feel the Spanish two seem to be put above all others (Bayern Juve etc) as "bigger" (even Atlco)

Thats because they are far bigger than Atletico, christ Atletico were in the second division in last 15 years
    Any player Real/Barca have wanted to sign they have and that includes the other massive clubs never mind Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Are you implying Liverpool are in and around the same level as Barcelona??????

irishman86 wrote: »
    Thats because they are far bigger than Atletico, christ Atletico were in the second division in last 15 years
    Any player Real/Barca have wanted to sign they have and that includes the other massive clubs never mind Liverpool

De Gea says hello

15 years ago Forest had won more European cups than Barcelona.

Clubs shouldn't simply have to let players move to "bigger clubs"

De Gea says hello

Of course they shouldn't ?? Who said they should? :confused:

Of course they shouldn't ?? Who said they should? :confused:

Sorry I had taken something up wrong.

I certainly first half performance has been frustrating me 😀

This is why, at the present time, there can be absolutely no argument as to who is a bigger club between Liverpool and Barca

http://sinceliverpoollastwonatrophy.co.uk/league-title/

This is why, at the present time, there can be absolutely no argument as to who is a bigger club between Liverpool and Barca

I guess we see big as different, I would class it as worldwide,which all of the teams mentioned are

Anyways I don't understand why the two Spanish teams are held above all others, but we'll just go round and round on this.

• Advertisement

De Gea says hello

So does Ronaldo :rolleyes:
    De Gea would have signed aswell if not for fax machine buddy
    Nobody said they should, i said Liverpool shouldnt sell Coutinho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Not in the interest of any club to be offering one year deals to a player they covet if they can lock them down to their club on their terms.

Not in the interest of any club to be offering one year deals to a player they covet if they can lock them down to their club on their terms.

I don't think the poor agents would be happy with it either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I can't understand why some high quality player hasn't decided to sign short term contracts and constantly move on free transfers.Sign a 4 year contract at 20 to secure their financial future and from that point on have complete freedom of movement afterwards, it would be very beneficial for the player and clubs couldn't really do much to stop it if they are getting a player on a free transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

So does Ronaldo :rolleyes:
    De Gea would have signed aswell if not for fax machine buddy
    Nobody said they should, i said Liverpool shouldnt sell Coutinho

Any player they want to sign, they have you said. They haven't. Fax machine or no fax machine, you're wrong.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Any player they want to sign, they have you said. They haven't. Fax machine or no fax machine, you're wrong.

But i'm not really
    if they had wanted him this summer they would have got him
    to deny this is hilarious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Madrid didnt get Pogba last summer.
    It looks like PSG will beat them to Mbappe this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Losing out on Pogba didn't affect them too much this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Losing out on Pogba didn't affect them too much this season

I never said otherwise. I was responding to the claim that Madrid have got any player they went after.

What sort of sad obsessed person creates something like this?

It is not even correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,169 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The player can insist. Aren't you the one who was complaining about how long term deals "trap" a player. Player can insist on short term deal or nothing. A contract takes two parties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

But i'm not really
    if they had wanted him this summer they would have got him
    to deny this is hilarious

Madrid wanted De Gea, Madrid didn't get De Gea.

You talk like you know football and more than most here, what makes it worse is I think you believe it yourself.

They didnt get Pogba as they felt he wasnt worth the fee
    I would presume its the same case with Mbappe
    Its hilarious denying the fact that Real can sign any player if they want him bad enough, evidence of even Figo moving from Barcelona

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Real can attract any player, but hey have to pay for him. Clearly that was the reason DDG didn't go a few years back and probably Pogba too. They weren't prepared to meet United/Juve's valuation

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Madrid wanted De Gea, Madrid didn't get De Gea.

You talk like you know football and more than most here, what makes it worse is I think you believe it yourself.

I dont think i know more than football than anyone else
    I do know that your argument is wrong as they still had him if they wanted him
    it took a fax machine for it to fail, not the player or either clubs
    I personally think AIG knows a lot more than me even if half the time he is trying to piss people off
    I also think the talking bread knows quiet a lot and thats of the top of my head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

It is not even correct.

Yep had a look at the link and the meme is wrong lol but it is registered to a company in Surrey

It is not even correct.

I haven't a clue.

It's a joke. There are plenty of silly jokes and gifs on the Internet that slag off clubs. No need to get so irritated or take it so seriously!

Also it seems to be about right. End of April 1990 is when they won it......

Also it seems to be about right. End of April 1990 is when they won it......

Well Kasper is 30 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Officer999

Paulinho signs for Barcelona from Guangzhou Evergrande for €40 million.

Strange one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Officer999 wrote: »
    Paulinho signs for Barcelona from Guangzhou Evergrande for €40 million.

Strange one

Did he not sign for Guangzhou in December for big money?

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »

June 2015 for £10 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He's been there 2 years now.

Barca were ready to sign him during the summer they just need to raise the cash.

Officer999 wrote: »
    June 2015 for £10 million

Was there a Brazilian that signed for a different Chinese team for huge money then in the last 12 months that I'm mixing him up with?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Was there a Brazilian that signed for a different Chinese team for huge money then in the last 12 months that I'm mixing him up with?

Oscar? Alex Teixeira?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The same paulinho that played for spurs? What a bizarre move.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Oscar? Alex Teixeira?

Hulk and Pato too

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Wasn't Paulinho a complete flop at Spurs?

That moves stinks to high heaven.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

martyos121 wrote: »
    Oscar? Alex Teixeira?

Teixera. That's the one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

rob316 wrote: »
    The same paulinho that played for spurs? What a bizarre move.

Sources in Spain are saying that they moved for him again when Ander Herrera turned them down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wasn't there some talk that they were signing Paulinho in some way to help appease Neymar as they are very good friends.

Either way it's a strange one. I think he's a very decent player, despite his time at Spurs, but not one I would have seen Barca signing.

Advertisement