Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This is something I reckon we can all agree on,

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/premier-league-clubs-to-vote-for-early-end-to-transfers-m8vstrxrs
    Premier League clubs are set to take a landmark decision to bring in their own transfer deadline that would ensure the window shuts before the start of the season, it can be revealed.

The issue has been put on the agenda for the next meeting of Premier League chairmen on September 7 and sources close to the negotiations are confident that the vast majority of the 20 clubs will vote for the change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Self policing? Who would have thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Isn't that useless if the rest of Europe don't follow suit ?

I can also see it making prices go even higher, because other clubs now know that English clubs have a shorter time to make transfers.

Not sure how that would work,

If the PL vote it through it'll become a major talking point across the game and I'd not be shocked if UEFA took a position on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If the PL vote it through it'll become a major talking point across the game and I'd not be shocked if UEFA took a position on it.

Why would UEFA be bothered, there's already differences of a week here-and-there between European leagues windows?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_window#Current_schedules_and_exceptions

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Why? Not all leagues have the same transfer dates.

UEFA might just see it as an opportunity to "tidy" up the seasons. Yes there are differences but typically only a few weeks. Not be shocked if we ended up with an August 1st to May 1st schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

As an Arsenal fan I don't understand how Oxlade Chamberlin is being touted by some as a potentially crucial buy for United or Chelsea. He's a good player, but bang average for the standard at the upper end of the table. Also inconsistent and injury prone. He looked like he had the makings of a real quality footballer when he first broke into the team, but he's come nowhere close to delivering on that promise since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Arghus wrote: »
    As an Arsenal fan I don't understand how Oxlade Chamberlin is being touted by some as a potentially crucial buy for United or Chelsea. He's a good player, but bang average for the standard at the upper end of the table. Also inconsistent and injury prone. He looked like he had the makings of a real quality footballer when he first broke into the team, but he's come nowhere close to delivering on that promise since.

Being played all over the place wouldn't help with anyones development

He started out a right winger, played right wing back for a time last season and is now left wing back, and also wants to play central midfield himself, I can see why some would think of him as to Arsenal what John O'Shea was to the defense of United

Mind if was to join Chelsea he would be shunted all around the team I'd imagine doing the same as he does for Arsenal now, but of the links we've had this summer I'd take him over Barkley/Drinkwater

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Adequate replacement for fletcber

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf, it's quite a good idea by the PL. Force clubs to get their transfers done earlier and minimise headaches like Coutinho, Danny Rose etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

One thing that sticks out about the Liverpool/Keita situation is if the lad is so good, and he did have a very good season, why has no other team gone in with bids also or do we not hear about other teams looking at him?

I have only been able to come up with other teams have also enquired, been told he is not going to be sold this window and are keeping tabs in case anything changes such as Liverpool having a bid accepted then looking to match that for example?

Few of my Liverpool supporting work colleagues tell me that if he has another good season like last one then Liverpool won't get him anyway cause other clubs will snap him up first but does this not apply this season also? Look at the figures being touted for players with a good season under their belts!

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

That is because every time a club asked the RB board if Keita was for sale, this was the answer:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

One thing that sticks out about the Liverpool/Keita situation is if the lad is so good, and he did have a very good season, why has no other team gone in with bids also or do we not hear about other teams looking at him?

I have only been able to come up with other teams have also enquired, been told he is not going to be sold this window and are keeping tabs in case anything changes such as Liverpool having a bid accepted then looking to match that for example?

Few of my Liverpool supporting work colleagues tell me that if he has another good season like last one then Liverpool won't get him anyway cause other clubs will snap him up first but does this not apply this season also? Look at the figures being touted for players with a good season under their belts!

Because his release clause next summer drops to 48 million or so instead of the 80 million clubs have to pay this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Fee agreed between Everton & Swansea for Sigurdsson.
    £45m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    £45m

That's a big fee for him. Saying that though who can Swansea replace him (or more importantly his contribution) with for £45m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbf, it's quite a good idea by the PL. Force clubs to get their transfers done earlier and minimise headaches like Coutinho, Danny Rose etc

Maybe they're changing this too but isnt it only a transfer window for buying players. Even if the window was closed the coutinho situation could happen as the Spanish window would still be open

Needs to be standardised or what will happen is a coutinho situation with no ability to replace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

£45m

Of all the clubs Everton have done the best business given their relative transfer kitty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

£45m

40m + 2.5m in add ons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Jese to stoke confirmed. Good replacement for arnautovic

Newcastle sign some striker for 5m. Joselu. Was on the books at stoke but out on loan ...wouldnt surprise me if he didn't play much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The problem you'd have with them signing Siggy is that they have signed Klaassen and, going by the weekend, Rooney to play in his position. They look a bit weak on the wings in comparison to their options through the middle.

• emmetkenny wrote: »
    That's a big fee for him. Saying that though who can Swansea replace him (or more importantly his contribution) with for £45m.

Again, is it really?

Arguably Swanseas best player

And is moving from English club to English club.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Liam O wrote: »
    The problem you'd have with them signing Siggy is that they have signed Klaassen and, going by the weekend, Rooney to play in his position. They look a bit weak on the wings in comparison to their options through the middle.

Was Rooney not wide in a 3-4-3?

Anyways, I'd say Sig would be playing on of the 2 supporting the striker. I'd imagine we'll see Ramirez and Rooney rotated up front. They could also go back to a 4-2-3-1 and play 3 behind the striker.

So weird seeing half the teams in the league playing 3 at the back now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Again, is it really?

Arguably Swanseas best player

And is moving from English club to English club.

I think we are paying for the possibility that Swansea might get relegated without him rather than what he is actually worth

• Advertisement

I think we are paying for the possibility that Swansea might get relegated without him rather than what he is actually worth

He's prob a £25m-30m player really, and that is probably a relegation tax alright, but in todays market it's not too left of field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Jese to stoke confirmed. Good replacement for arnautovic

Newcastle sign some striker for 5m. Joselu. Was on the books at stoke but out on loan ...wouldnt surprise me if he didn't play much

Stat online saying Stoke now have more Champions League winners in their squad than any other English side. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Stat online saying Stoke now have more Champions League winners in their squad than any other English side. :o

Ha, so they do! Good pub fact!

Affelay, Krkic, Muniesa, Shaqiri, Jese, Darrn Fletcher (??),

Arnautovic also won it with Milan but he is gone now

United only have Mata and Carrick left and they are second best I think! Did Matic win it with Chelsea or was he gone by then or even part of the squad at all?

• Advertisement

Can it be long before Hughes signs Djimi Traore?

United only have Mata and Carrick left and they are second best I think! Did Matic win it with Chelsea or was he gone by then or even part of the squad at all?

He was with Benfica at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

And Serge Aurier to Spurs, no news of fee though

Honestly was never impressed with him at PSG after leaving Toulouse, same must be true of the club when they bought Muenier last year & seems to be a dickhead to boot.

Matic was elsewhere as we swapped him as part of the Luiz deal.

Chelsea have 4 winners in the squad and probably second on that basis.

Luiz, Pedro, Morata and Cahill.

Just on transfers, Chelea have been linked with a few players in the last 48hours or so, lots of recycled rumours though with Bellotti, Aurier, Ox-Cham, Drinkwater, Soares, Cancelo, Sandro all being mentioned but no concrete sources at all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Bacca from Milan to Villareal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GavRedKing wrote:
    Stat online saying Stoke now have more Champions League winners in their squad than any other English side.

This might be by design. Better chance of attracting bigger names, possibility that young players coming through look up to players. Mark Hughes is a very good manager imo and he has been given time and money to do his thing at Stoke.
    I think they could become a very big club in a few years time. They have great owners who I'm sure are very active at the business end of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Just on transfers, Chelea have been linked with a few players in the last 48hours or so, lots of recycled rumours though with Bellotti, Aurier, Ox-Cham, Drinkwater, Soares, Cancelo, Sandro all being mentioned but no concrete sources at all really.

Considering Chelsea's goals for this season should be final four UCL and retention of EPL, some of those linkages and the transfer activity for Chelsea this summer are dismal.

(Cue coming back to this post in a years time when Chelsea are champions of Europe and and England.:o)

Turtwig wrote: »
    Considering Chelsea's goals for this season should be final four UCL and retention of EPL, some of those linkages and the transfer activity for Chelsea this summer are dismal.

(Cue coming back to this post in a years time when Chelsea are champions of Europe and and England.)

We've done well to get in Bakayoko, Rudiger and Morata but looking at the potential bench, injuries/suspensions permitting, it doesnt look great.

Caballero
    Christensen Rudiger
    Cesc
    Willian Boga
    Batshauyi

We probably need another 2 or 3 players with quality but we've struggled all summer to get transfers done for one reason or another.

I also dont think we'll win the title, its been nearly a decade since it was retained and I cant see us bucking that trend this season and the CL, no hope either, we're far off the top 4 or 5 sides in europe, as are any of the English teams, IMO, City are the best equipped in that regard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

With no English team looking anywhere near winning the Champions League, I wonder why more don't focus on the Europa League?

Silverware is silverware, and you have to imagine winning something, instead of nothing, will help attract players over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

MagicIRL wrote: »
    With no English team looking anywhere near winning the Champions League, I wonder why more don't focus on the Europa League?

Silverware is silverware, and you have to imagine winning something, instead of nothing, will help attract players over.

Im sure the money is far greater in CL than EL and the CL has less games.

• Advertisement

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Im sure the money is far greater in CL than EL and the CL has less games.

Yes it is, but I think we can all agree no PL team is looking even likely of winning the CL.

The Europa on the other hand, definitely. My question is would it be worthwhile for teams to compete in it to win the trophy, and use the lure of silverware to attract better players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Yes it is, but I think we can all agree no PL team is looking even likely of winning the CL.

The Europa on the other hand, definitely. My question is would it be worthwhile for teams to compete in it to win the trophy, and use the lure of silverware to attract better players?

Players would rather play for a Champions League team than a team capable of winning the Europa League. Its the big competition and the lure of that trumps EL.

You can add Sergi Roberto to that list too. SPORT are a Barca outlet, saying he will choose between United and Chelsea this week.

What????????????

I honestly don't get this.

So you are putting forward the concept that City, United, Chelsea, Spurs (and maybe Liverpool) should put in a half ars*d effort in the CL and accept inevitable failure and hope to get into the Europa by finishing 3rd and winning that so that decent players join their club because they have a Europa league.

Am I reading that correct?

Or what am I reading??

Turtwig wrote: »

(Cue coming back to this post in a years time when Chelsea are champions of Europe and and England.:o)

I think the big targets like Sandro etc were excellent options but probably too ambitions, seems like they are gonna end up getting 2nd/3rd options instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I'm slightly confused, are you effectively saying that the 4 or 5 teams that are in the champions league this season, should deliberately finish third in their groups and drop to the Europa League? Reason being that they would have a better chance of winning the Europa league?

Edit. Talking Bread got there before me.

Bacca to Villarreal from Milan on loan with view to a sale next summer.

What????????????

I honestly don't get this.

So you are putting forward the concept that City, United, Chelsea, Spurs (and maybe Liverpool) should put in a half ars*d effort in the CL and accept inevitable failure and hope to get into the Europa by finishing 3rd and winning that so that decent players join their club because they have a Europa league.

Am I reading that correct?

Or what am I reading??

No. You've picked me up wrong. Without getting too far off topic, let me clarify.

Every season PL teams compete in the CL. Every season they all come tumbling out. Every season, the "big" teams abandon the Europa league and focus on the PL.

With no PL team looking like they'll win the CL any time soon, my question is, why do we not see more teams focusing on the Europa League (once they end up in it) and actually trying to win it?

Surely the added silverware will help them to look attractive and bring in players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

No. You've picked me up wrong. Without getting too far off topic, let me clarify.

Every season PL teams compete in the CL. Every season they all come tumbling out. Every season, the "big" teams abandon the Europa league and focus on the PL.

With no PL team looking like they'll win the CL any time soon, my question is, why do we not see more teams focusing on the Europa League (once they end up in it) and actually trying to win it?

Surely the added silverware will help them to look attractive and bring in players?

The added silverware is nothing, the fact that you get into the CL makes winning it attractive though but that's no reward if you're already going to finish top 4. It's why Utd took it seriously last year for the first time in a long time.

• Advertisement

No, still completely lost at the merits of your proposal.

So, eh, a player will join a club because the team have won the Europa League the season before but don't have ambition to win a CL. A team will forfeit both the ambition to progress in the top tier of club football, the prestige that comes with it and the financial rewards so as that they can attract players who are ambitious, want to play in top tier football, want to win top tier medals and cost money (money which will be even less readily available if you don't progress in the CL)

What "big teams" haven't made an effort when they are resorted to using it as a trophy winning route anyway??

2017: Man United - winners
    2016: Liverpool (runners up)

Chelsea won it a few years back.

Also it is not highly impossible at all at least one of City, United and maybe even Chelsea if they pick up some players can reach at least the semi final this year. Spurs will make the knockout stages definitely and may progress from there if they can keep injury free

4 of the best coaches in the world at the minute and a solid squad.

What teams in Europe should make an effort?

Or should they all let Bayern, Madrid, Barca and maybe PSG and JUve battle it out amongst themselves?

Advertisement