Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What are you not understanding?

I haven't once said a team shouldn't try to win the Champions League? Where are you getting that notion from?

I'm arguing that no premier league team looks like it'll win the CL anytime soon. Why don't more of them try to win the Europa League once they fail to progress through the Champions League?

Would it not help to lure players to a club when you can offer big wages and some sort of trophy?

"We're aiming to win the CL but falling short. We want you to join us and help us win. We're capable of beating European opposition and winning when push comes to shove, we won the Europa League last season. With you, we could win the CL this season."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My favourite part of the Jese to Stoke transfer is this video

https://twitter.com/stokecity/status/897729685202886664

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

MagicIRL wrote: »
    With no English team looking anywhere near winning the Champions League, I wonder why more don't focus on the Europa League?

Silverware is silverware, and you have to imagine winning something, instead of nothing, will help attract players over.

Culturally in England the Europa League is scoffed at. They basically have the attitude of if my club wanted to win that they could they're too busy focusing on the EFL cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Turtwig wrote: »
    Culturally in England the Europa League is scoffed at. They basically have the attitude of if my club wanted to win that they could they're too busy focusing on the EFL cup.

Not now - Liverpool final, Man Utd final, Arsenal final? It's finally worth winning if you reach the later stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Not now - Liverpool final, Man Utd final, Arsenal final? It's finally worth winning if you reach the later stages.

Bar Arsenal who are in this year, the other 2 needed it to win it based on poor league form as much as prestige.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

MagicIRL wrote: »
    What are you not understanding?

I haven't once said a team shouldn't try to win the Champions League? Where are you getting that notion from?

I'm arguing that no premier league team looks like it'll win the CL anytime soon. Why don't more of them try to win the Europa League once they fail to progress through the Champions League?

Would it not help to lure players to a club when you can offer big wages and some sort of trophy?

"We're aiming to win the CL but falling short. We want you to join us and help us win. We're capable of beating European opposition and winning when push comes to shove, we won the Europa League last season. With you, we could win the CL this season."

What teams are you referring to in that respect?

Which teams that got knocked out at CL group stage in 3rd didn't have a go at trying to win the Europa? Spurs put out their full team last season against Gent but lost not for lack of effort.

When City' chances of securing a spot last season were in the balance , Pep said "I think we’ll be able to qualify for the Champions League but, if we are not able to, we are going to adapt and play the Europa League,”

When City entered after being 3rd in their group they played full teams, hammering Porto but unluckily losing on away goal to Sporting.

Liverpool always give it a go and United and Chelsea have both won it in the last few years.

Money and ambition and chance to play in CL attract top players to PL, a Europa League trophy in the clubs cabinet is immaterial as most of the clubs are going to be able to attract the same type of players anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

GavRedKing wrote:
    We've done well to get in Bakayoko, Rudiger and Morata but looking at the potential bench, injuries/suspensions permitting, it doesnt look great.

GavRedKing wrote:
    Caballero Christensen Rudiger Cesc Willian Boga Batshauyi

GavRedKing wrote:
    We probably need another 2 or 3 players with quality but we've struggled all summer to get transfers done for one reason or another.

GavRedKing wrote:
    I also dont think we'll win the title, its been nearly a decade since it was retained and I cant see us bucking that trend this season and the CL, no hope either, we're far off the top 4 or 5 sides in europe, as are any of the English teams, IMO, City are the best equipped in that regard.

That bench is pretty good imo. Also where is Remy? And I'm sure money will be spent when Costa eventually goes.

eagle eye wrote: »
    That bench is pretty good imo. Also where is Remy? And I'm sure money will be spent when Costa eventually goes.

If you take into account they have European football (unlike last season), inevitable injuries, suspensions during the season , their squad is weak to be challenging for a title.

They will probably get Ox, Drinkwater, (or maybe Krychowiak), and Soares and Rose (although the latter surely won't be sold) have all been cited. They could do with a CB and a support striker for Morata also

Its clear Conte doesn't want Remy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

eagle eye wrote: »

Remys still knocking around, got some minutes in pre-season but I cant imagine he has a future at Chelsea, he'll probably be loaned, if we get rid of Costa and sign a 3rd CF, if he stays fit though, I'd keep him as 3rd choice.

The bench is good enough but if you take 2 of the starting XI out and another 1 or 2 from the bench, youre into trusting the youths to do the job, theres no real depth in the current Chelsea squad beyond the main 18, thats going to be an issue, even though Conte only reguarly used about 14/15 players last year, we wnt get away with it this time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

City/United & Chelsea all have a chance based purely on talent to beat any team in the CL and would put it up against Bayern/Real/PSG
    And Liverpool well, they might not have a very strong team but I would never back against them in the CL
    Who exactly should they be afraid off :confused:
    I agree teams should try win the EL if they are in it and it was clever to use the CL as a incentive to get all teams to play the strongest side they have available

• Advertisement

If I was Arsenal I would try to give Sanchez a 2 year extension on his contract 200 to 250K a week with option to leave next season with a 100 million buy out/ release clause. They need to make sure they get top 4 and they also can't risk him going for nothing. Increasing his wages won't make a difference in long term.
    And at least then he wont be able to leave for free.

It does seem that Sanchez is staying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

If I was Arsenal I would try to give Sanchez a 2 year extension on his contract 200 to 250K a week with option to leave next season with a 100 million buy out/ release clause. They need to make sure they get top 4 and they also can't risk him going for nothing. Increasing his wages won't make a difference in long term.
    And at least then he wont be able to leave for free.

It does seem that Sanchez is staying though.

I though Sanchez was already on that kind of dosh? In any case he would be insane to agree a relatively small increase in wages (for a PL player!) and agree a 100M buyout when he is 4 months away from being a free agent and basically entitled to get the transfer fee himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,310 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Liverpool will push to include Ivan Rakitić in any deal with Barcelona if they are forced into allowing Philippe Coutinho to leave, claim reports originating from Spain today.
    It is claimed that Reds’ boss Jürgen Klopp is interested in recruiting the 29-year-old Croatian midfielder to help soften the blow of Coutinho’s exit should it come to that.

Probably only a made up story ,surely Barcelona wouldn't be that daft or would they.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    I though Sanchez was already on that kind of dosh? In any case he would be insane to agree a relatively small increase in wages (for a PL player!) and agree a 100M buyout when he is 4 months away from being a free agent and basically entitled to get the transfer fee himself.

He is on 140 K a week, as is Ozil.

200 to 250 K is not a small increase.

In fact some were mooting that Arsenal would be willing to offer him 280K if he signed a longer contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

He is on 140 K a week, as is Ozil.

200 to 250 K is not a small increase.

In fact some were mooting that Arsenal would be willing to offer him 280K if he signed a longer contract

It is, if in January you can say to Manchester City, I want 300K a week from next July and I will sign a contract now, but I want 10,20 or 30 million as a signing on fee now. City would probably consider that a bargain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Deise Vu wrote: »
    It is, if in January you can say to Manchester City, I want 300K a week from next July and I will sign a contract now, but I want 10,20 or 30 million as a signing on fee now. City would probably consider that a bargain.
    He can only agree a contract with a team outside of England in January. He'll have to wait till June to negotiate with a team inside of England,

Liverpool will push to include Ivan Rakitić in any deal with Barcelona if they are forced into allowing Philippe Coutinho to leave, claim reports originating from Spain today.
    It is claimed that Reds’ boss Jürgen Klopp is interested in recruiting the 29-year-old Croatian midfielder to help soften the blow of Coutinho’s exit should it come to that.

Probably only a made up story ,surely Barcelona wouldn't be that daft or would they.

Never underestimate the ingenuity of fools.

If Wenger gets Ozil and Sanchez to sign extensions to their contracts, personally I have to say that is nearly the best bit of Summer business for any club.

If he doesn't manage to extend Sanchez' contract but keeps him until seasons end and gets top 4 it is a relatively good result also.

Arsenal aren't going to be able to attract anyone big enough to replace Sanchez this season at this stage and he may be the difference between them getting CL. So even if they get max 80 million for him (he is in his last year, so no club will pay more,) the money is useless if it means they have potentially lost out on the difference between getting top 4 and not getting Top 4.

Quazzie wrote: »
    He can only agree a contract with a team outside of England in January. He'll have to wait till June to negotiate with a team inside of England,

I actually never knew that. Interesting info

Quazzie wrote:

There is a good chance he's already negotiated with others for next year anyway. Only they can't/won't announce it.

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »

That's formal though. Clubs and players are shady as ever when it comes to transfer dealings outside of formal consent/agreement. Informal agreement and approaches will surely be sought out.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Realistically his agent will already be having these conversations with European and English clubs alike. The 6 month rule makes no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Sky Sources: Man City interested in signing West Brom Defender Jonny Evans

Sky Sources: Man City interested in signing West Brom Defender Jonny Evans

Meant to be loaning Mangala to Inter (and subsidising his wages of course).
    Inter are doing a loan swap with Valencia for Kondogbia & Cancelo.
    There are 2 clubs who must regret a lot of their recent transfer business. Unlike city who can write things off like Nasri, Bony & Adebayor as if they didn't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Evans is a fine CB. His biggest problem was he was massively injury prone and when he came back from injury the first few games were littered with mistakes, but once he was up and running he was pretty good. The last two seasons with WBA have seen him play 30+ league games so maybe he's put that behind him. I don't remember too many glaring mistakes in that time either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Matuidi to Juventus for €20m is a serious bit of business considering how much some other players have gone for this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

That would be a amazing move by Liverpool
    Like you said surely Barcelona wouldnt be that daft

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

People seem to be shocked by Sigurdsons pricetag of 45 million. I find this a totally suitable price for a proven PL performer.

• Advertisement

sheroman01 wrote:
    People seem to be shocked by Sigurdsons pricetag of 45 million. I find this a totally suitable price for a proven PL performer.

Will Jonny Evans be 45 million then since he's premier league proven?
    :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gabriel to Valencia for 10million

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭sheroman01

ERG89 wrote: »
    Will Jonny Evans be 45 million then since he's premier league proven?

Ah here! :pac: I mean he gets you goals, assists, great on set pieces and works well for the team. I think he will be good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Surprised none of the bigger teams went in for Siggy he's a top quality player. Funny how Barkley will probably go for 10/20 million more than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Surprised none of the bigger teams went in for Siggy he's a top quality player. Funny how Barkley will probably go for 10/20 million more than him.

Can't see Barkley going for anymore than 25/30m tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Most of his contributions came from set pieces though didn't they? I think someone posted a good graph earlier in the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Spurs did already. It didn't really work out. Bigger teams all have better players in that position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

No Bale tonight, the rumour mill to go into overdrive

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Can't see Barkley going for anymore than 25/30m tbh

He's English he definitely will go for more than that !:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

He's English he definitely will go for more than that !:rolleyes:

Last year of contract he definitely won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

sheroman01 wrote: »

Last summer it would have been a crazy price, but given the frankly ridiculous fees that are now the norm I don't think.Sigurdson is overpriced in the market. Whatever about Neymer, this is the summer of Kyle Walker costing fifty million pounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Reports this morning that Barkley needs surgery that will keep him out for 3 months.

The fact that we're nearly 3 weeks into August and he had only 12 months left on his deal and nobody was in for him, tells me he should be staying with Everton, hes not good enough for the 6 teams above tem, and thats prior to his injury.

• He's going to play second fiddle to Gylfi Sigurdsson anyway this year who is a much better player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Imo he was the best centre back in the league last season and playing on the left side of a back three is the perfect position for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    He's going to play second fiddle to Gylfi Sigurdsson anyway this year who is a much better player.

3rd fiddle with Davy Klaasen ahead of him. He is utterly surplus to requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Matuidi to Juventus for €20m is a serious bit of business considering how much some other players have gone for this season.

Looking at it from the Premiership perspective, and in the context of Walker and Siguurdson going for nearly £100m combined, the same types of players are going to the same types of clubs for the same fee ratios. All this additional money in the Premiership is failing to upset the European hierarchy. A club like Everton can't attract an elite player from the other European leagues, and are instead overpaying for cast offs from the top Prem teams (Rooney's wages) or the same old mid table players that were always available to them in the past (Siguurdson).

When those TV deals were announced, I expected an appreciable increase in the quality of the Prem from top to bottom, believing that players like Blase would be in play for the likes of Everton, West Brom, whatever. But all that money can't trump size and tradition.

Which makes it all kind of sad. Ever higher fees and wages for the same old players.

Ya, its heart breaking when you're linked with Drinkwater for 40m and Juventus come in and get Matuidi done for around 20m.

Now, he mightnt fancy the league and lets be honest, Juventus right now are a better prospect than the English teams too and Turin isnt a bad place to spend your millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya, its heart breaking when you're linked with Drinkwater for 40m and Juventus come in and get Matuidi done for around 20m.

Now, he mightnt fancy the league and lets be honest, Juventus right now are a better prospect than the English teams too and Turin isnt a bad place to spend your millions.
    Drinkwater is homegrown, which Chelsea are severely lacking. Matuidi wouldn't help them solve that issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Looking at it from the Premiership perspective, and in the context of Walker and Siguurdson going for nearly £100m combined, the same types of players are going to the same types of clubs for the same fee ratios. All this additional money in the Premiership is failing to upset the European hierarchy. A club like Everton can't attract an elite player from the other European leagues, and are instead overpaying for cast offs from the top Prem teams (Rooney's wages) or the same old mid table players that were always available to them in the past (Siguurdson).

When those TV deals were announced, I expected an appreciable increase in the quality of the Prem from top to bottom, believing that players like Blase would be in play for the likes of Everton, West Brom, whatever. But all that money can't trump size and tradition.

Which makes it all kind of sad. Ever higher fees and wages for the same old players.

Strange transfer window alright when a once big club like Liverpool can't attract players from the likes of Southampton and RB Leipzig. Maybe keita and van djik only see Liverpool as a sideways move these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Strange transfer window alright when a once big club like Liverpool can't attract players from the likes of Southampton and RB Leipzig. Maybe keita and van djik only see Liverpool as a sideways move these days.

In neither case did the players not want to move. Indeed, indications in the VVD case are that he's apoplectic about not being allowed to move.

Nice angle on it though I guess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement