Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Mr.H wrote: »
    In your opinion. Nobody else's but still.....

Id rate him higher than Coutinho, not much between them though in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

It's crazy money to reject but the problem liverpool would find is that any replacement they'd go for will go up in price as everyone would know they are loaded. Same problem Barca have right now.

I'd keep him for another year and then cash in when a replacement is already brought in

Nice to see Barcelona not getting their way :) Milk them for as much as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

More PL goals & assists than Coutinho last 4 seasons. Less injury prone, exact same age.

Eriksen way more productive in his play. I'd take him over Coutinho.

€100 million would have Levy thinking a lot IMO

And you could just sit back and watch Kane and Ali's stats fall off a cliff without Eriksen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

More PL goals & assists than Coutinho last 4 seasons. Less injury prone, exact same age.

Phil hasn't exactly been injury prone to be fair. Missed a chunk last season but other than that he is pretty fit. In terms of assists he is often the one starting build up plays rather than providing assists. Not that it takes from your point.

I do rate coutinho higher but I admit I could be looking through red tinted glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Well he is commanding a big fee..

People last week here said Liverpool were crazy to reject 90 million yet here we are.

Mahrez is nowhere near as good
    Payet doesn't want to play outside France
    Draxler flopped at psg
    Sanchez would demand far more in wages than Liverpool or indeed any European club would be willing to pay
    And Costa is a nutcase, great player but a nutcase.

How do you come to the conclusion Draxler flopped ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I get Coutinho isn't worth the transfer fee but I honestly scratch my head when he isn't rated as one of the best players in the league. Played 31 times last season involved in 20 goals and he was still feeling the after effects of a bad injury for about 10 of those. He's an outstanding player and hugely important to Liverpool.

He's only going to get better only just turned 25.

Big problem for Pool is they aren't able to get signings done all summer what are clubs gonna do to them with 2 weeks left and an extra 125m to spend.

He will probably move next summer but doubt Barca will match 125m then.

Great to see Barca get told to FRO .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I think Coutinho (who is only 25 let's not forget) would go for a stupid sum next summer as Barca will be desperate to repair the damage they have inflicted upon themselves and they'll be after at least one World Cup winner (okay Brazil might not win 2018 but they've clearly got a decent chance of doing so).

Yeah I think this is one of the few occasions when fans of all PL clubs are delighted with something Liverpool are doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Sheikh Mansour threatens that Man City will be involved in the biggest transfer in history and I've gotten a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach that it could be Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Nah, they'll want young blood not Messi. I reckon they could try to Gazpump PSG for Mbappe (or are they after CR7? :eek:)

Couldn't blame Messi if he wants out of Barca .Neymar seen the writing on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Sheikh Mansour threatens that Man City will be involved in the biggest transfer in history and I've gotten a strange feeling in the pit of my stomach that it could be Messi.

Wheres that from? Havent seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

POKERKING wrote: »
    Wheres that from? Havent seen it.

It's a quote from Mansour today, the link to Messi comes from suspicious minds on Barca twitter. Given the turmoil and the utter stupidity and vileness of the Barca board I couldn't begrudge him a move at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Coutinho wouldn't be much different to Martial in that they've both had one good season in England despite Coutinho being 25. Could name 10 better attacking midfielders in the premier league than him, Barca are in for a serious shock, will be one of the worst deals in history on their side. Desperation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Coutinho wouldn't be much different to Martial in that they've both had one good season in England despite Coutinho being 25. Could name 10 better attacking midfielders in the premier league than him, Barca are in for a serious shock, will be one of the worst deals in history on their side. Desperation

Translation:

"Here fishy fishies!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

I am the same with Coutinho I don't get it at all.

He is at best a 50mil player.

Sigurðsson I rate a lot higher then Coutinho as well !!!.

I just don't get where they see 120mil from and really makes out that naymar was a bargain at 198mil if that's the case haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

e8fbd54fe00f0ecba50f026ef82c5159--jonny-evans-man-united.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ronnie to City would be the greatest transfer ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I just don't get where they see 120mil from and really makes out that naymar was a bargain at 198mil if that's the case haha.

Thread has gone mental as well as the transfer market.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Couldn't blame Messi if he wants out of Barca .Neymar seen the writing on the wall.

City would hardly be the answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Anyway, it is pure nonsense propaganda IN MY OPINION as S.M. never speaks to media/fans.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    City would hardly be the answer

Depends what the question is .

yabadabado wrote: »
    Depends what the question is .

Next club for Messi. Through his eyes. I doubt the best league in the world would get a look in

• Advertisement

No way am I suffering from rose tinted glasses on this one.

All I will say is Barca are willing to pay this figure for Coutinho without ever considering Sig Sanchez or Ericson.

They may be crazy but the fact is they made the offer for Phil so THEY rate him that much.

No way am I suffering from rose tinted glasses on this one.

All I will say is Barca are willing to pay this figure for Coutinho without ever considering Sig Sanchez or Ericson.

They may be crazy but the fact is they made the offer for Phil so THEY rate him that much.

I'd trust Internet posters over Barca myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

For marketing purposes Barça would take Coutinho over the others mentioned (Eriksen, Sigurđsson) gotta get that Brazilian merch sales. Paulinho wont cut it.

Eriksen way more productive in his play. I'd take him over Coutinho.

€100 million would have Levy thinking a lot IMO

That is a little misleading since both players were here 5 years ago and if you look at those stats Coutinho scored more goals?

pjohnson wrote: »
    For marketing purposes Barça would take Coutinho over the others mentioned (Eriksen, Sigurđsson) gotta get that Brazilian merch sales. Paulinho wont cut it.

Yea Im sure the same applied when they chased Raktic.

Whats up with Dembele are French players more marketable aswell than Sanchez, Hazard, Eriksen and "at least 10 other midfielders better than Coutinho"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

This thread will be hilarious to read back and quote in five years. Some folks have a vivid imagination it must be said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Mbappe isn't in Monaco's squad for their game with Metz tonight and it's not an injury issue.

Mendy is one of his best mates who is at City now. Also it's clear Monaco given the choice would rather he go to England than to PSG who seem the other most likely alternative.

I reckon the Sheikh was talking about Mbappe.

To be fair if Liverpool had offered Coutinho to premier league clubs for 70 million there would have been zero interest at that price, he doesn't dislodge players for Chelsea, Spurs, City, Arsenal or United for that much money. Barca have almost doubled it. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Liverpool's job is to squeeze Barcelona now.

There is no point in keeping a disgruntled player who wants to leave.

If he was forced to stay, it's likely that performance levels will drop and the asset will lose value by next summer.

Maximise the cash.

If Barca read this thread they'll know they're been robbed! Must have complete ameteurs working in the recruitment department..

To be fair if Liverpool had offered Coutinho to premier league clubs for 70 million there would have been zero interest at that price, he doesn't dislodge players for Chelsea, Spurs, City, Arsenal or United for that much money. Barca have almost doubled it. Madness.

So you claim he wouldnt make it into the first team of any of them??? Who exactly would keep him out of the United team??

I mean ffs I think Coutinho is inconsistent but he would easily walk into any of those teams bar maybe taking Hazards spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,168 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yea Im sure the same applied when they chased Raktic.

Whats up with Dembele are French players more marketable aswell than Sanchez, Hazard, Eriksen and "at least 10 other midfielders better than Coutinho"?
    I never said 10 other midfielders so you're aiming that Q at the wrong person. Coutinho is the better player for sure. But Barça are also loosing out on Brazilian marketing from missing Neymar.

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    U

If he was forced to stay, it's likely that performance levels will drop and the asset will lose value by next summer.

Maximise the cash.

Not in his interest tbf.

World Cup next summer. A drop in preference equals being dropped from Brazil team

So you claim he wouldnt make it into the first team of any of them??? Who exactly would keep him out of the United team??

I mean ffs I think Coutinho is inconsistent but he would easily walk into any of those teams bar maybe taking Hazards spot.

Read my post again, for 70 million none of the clubs mentioned would bother buying him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If Barca read this thread they'll know they're been robbed! Must have complete ameteurs working in the recruitment department..

It was the same before. Alonso, Mascherano, Suarez were all underrated when they played for Liverpool. They leave for Real/Barca and within six months they became much higher rated.

Suarez maybe not so much after his final season, but was still underrated before it.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Maximise the cash.

If that was true he wouldnt make the world cup squad. Im pretty certain Liverpool are safe from his performances.

As for losing value?? He still has many years on his contract. To put things into persfective, if we sold him last year he would have went for about 60 million. This summer 60 million is 120 (and they will likely get more if they want to sell him). Next summer it could easily be 180.

The transfer window is cray and it aint getting any less so. Liverpool hold all the cards and will in no way lose out by keeping him

Fromvert wrote: »
    It was the same before. Alonso, Mascherano, Suarez were all underrated when they played for Liverpool. The leave for Real/Barca and within six months they became much higher rated.

Funny that :)

Read my post again, for 70 million none of the clubs mentioned would bother buying him

I understand what you are saying.

But do you not think if Liverpool would be willing to do business, that an english club wouldnt be willing to spend that on Coutinho??

I really think they would. But the issue would be PL to PL premium plus the fact the club wouldnt want to sell to a rival etc

69 million would be a different story

It was the same before. Alonso, Mascherano, Suarez were all underrated when they played for Liverpool. They leave for Real/Barca and within six months they became much higher rated.

Suarez maybe not so much after his final season, but was still underrated before it.

Maybe that's something to do with playing at a club that's winning things. You do tend to be rated higher when win medals. Suarez won a League cup in 3.5 seasons at Liverpool. Mascherano won nothing.

Alonso the one who I don't think belongs in your point was very highly regarded at Liverpool, and that comes from the fact that he was there during your last reasonably successful spell with an FA Cup and a Champions League.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I never said 10 other midfielders so you're aiming that Q at the wrong person. Coutinho is the better player for sure. But Barça are also loosing out on Brazilian marketing from missing Neymar.

Im not aiming the "10 other midfielder" quote at you but rather than this starnge idea that he isnt worth it because he is no Liingard.

I dont think Barcas marketing will have too many problems regardless though. They have huge history of brazilians

Why are you bringing Lingard into this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Look at the replies here when I dared say Suarez was signing of the season back in 2011 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76066783
    Jayop wrote: »
    Maybe that's something to do with playing at a club that's winning things. You do tend to be rated higher when win medals. Suarez won a League cup in 3.5 seasons at Liverpool. Mascherano won nothing.

Alonso the one who I don't think belongs in your point was very highly regarded at Liverpool, and that comes from the fact that he was there during your last reasonably successful spell with an FA Cup and a Champions League.

Alonso wasn't rated here among non Liverpool fans until he left.

Winning trophies doesn't alone equate to being rated higher no. Torres won more after leaving Liverpool but nobody would say he was better.

Jayop wrote: »
    Why are you bringing Lingard into this?

Its a callback:D

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Look at the replies here when I dared say Suarez was signing of the season back in 2011 http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76066783

Alonso wasn't rated here among non Liverpool fans until he left.

Winning trophies doesn't alone equate to being rated higher no. Torres won more after leaving Liverpool but nobody would say he was better.

Your first point is nonsense. Pointing to a time not long after Suarez signed when in truth he wasn't playing very well, or at least hadn't shown the end product he would display in his last two seasons at Liverpool is a nonsense. He was vastly improved after your posted that.

Also, Alonso was highly rated by non Liverpool fans. You saying that doesn't make it true.

And you're right, there are outliers. Torres was clearly better when he played for you. Mascherano wasn't clearly better when he played for you, nor was Alonso. I'd argue that they both improved post Liverpool and that coincided with then winning things so luckily enough that meant they were rated more. Same with Suarez.

Advertisement