Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer transfer thread 17/18 season (NEYMAR TALK IN OTHER THREAD)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,595 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

FYP

Think it was right the first time as I can't see Spurs breaking their wage structure to pay him what he could earn elsewhere. It will be the downfall of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

astradave wrote: »
    Think it was right the first time as I can't see Spurs breaking their wage structure to pay him what he could earn elsewhere. It will be the downfall of them

In a world where Lingaard is on far more than some of Spurs top players it will come to a head.The only thing is the Levy factor.He'll want stupid money for players and is a hard negotiator. Once they start handing in transfer requests things could change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

astradave wrote: »
    Yeah, I know. Spurs wage structure is a bit of an anachronism after the huge fee and wage inflation of the past 12 months.

If they don't increase their wages, the level of players they are looking for, excellent potential but needing time playing to get there, will be reluctant to sign if they feel they will not be paid at levels to reflect the market for players of their level.

zerks wrote: »
    In a world where Lingaard is on far more than some of Spurs top players it will come to a head.The only thing is the Levy factor.He'll want stupid money for players and is a hard negotiator. Once they start handing in transfer requests things could change.

From anything I think I know about Levy he'll just laugh at any transfer requests.

I can't understand any of those Spurs players signing such poor contracts in the last 1-2 years. Truth be told I don't know when they signed or for how long but it's extraordinary they've been sold the 'project' for such a small salary.

They are losing millions every year and I think quite a few of the Spurs players will be looking for new agents very soon.

The only person making money at that club is Levy. In context obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Chris Wood looks to be heading to Burnley for £15 million. Great business by Leeds, cant see him having much of an impact
    People thought he was crazy spending £9 million on Andre Gray but that worked out well.

Dyche bought Vokes for £350k and Ashley Barnes for £750k so his track record buying forwards is pretty decent and getting value for money is pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Wood deal is fair on both clubs, hes scored a lot of goals in the last 12 months and its not much of a reach money wise given they got over 10 for Gray.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Yeah, I know. Spurs wage structure is a bit of an anachronism after the huge fee and wage inflation of the past 12 months.

If they don't increase their wages, the level of players they are looking for, excellent potential but needing time playing to get there, will be reluctant to sign if they feel they will not be paid at levels to reflect the market for players of their level.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Surely the likes of Alderwiereld and Eriksen were on far far less when they were playing for Southampton and Ajax? and they were available for any of the 'big' teams to come along and dazzle them with riches and trophy cabinets? But they didn't bite.

I have posted on this on other threads before. 'Big' teams will only buy finished product players. If Utd had signed Eriksen three years ago, their fans would have been up in arms asking how is he an 'upgrade' (kids these days, everything is phone related!) on Mata, Lingaard etc etc.

Spurs are fishing in the unfinished players pond and doing quite nicely out of it too. I understand perfectly that in two years time players will end up being sold but if the current market stays the way it is, there will be plenty of replacements and the stadium will be paid for in double quick time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

From anything I think I know about Levy he'll just laugh at any transfer requests.

I can't understand any of those Spurs players signing such poor contracts in the last 1-2 years. Truth be told I don't know when they signed or for how long but it's extraordinary they've been sold the 'project' for such a small salary.

They are losing millions every year and I think quite a few of the Spurs players will be looking for new agents very soon.

The only person making money at that club is Levy. In context obviously.

Levy is an employee at Spurs, he's not the owner. He's going to have a difficult 12 months ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I don't get how Levy can tell someone like Kane he's worth £100million+ on the transfer market, but offer him the wages of someone worth a quarter of that.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Levy is an employee at Spurs, he's not the owner. He's going to have a difficult 12 months ahead of him.

Think I read/heard he's the best paid premier league chairman on £2.5 million a year.

Think I read/heard he's the best paid premier league chairman on £2.5 million a year.

That's what Ken Early reported recently I think. Also mentioned their wages to turnover ratio is very low compared to their peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

derfderf wrote: »
    I don't get how Levy can tell someone like Kane he's worth £100million+ on the transfer market, but offer him the wages of someone worth a quarter of that.

Seems like good business. They're being sensible when other teams around them are offering unsustainable money, and they've still been outperforming most of those last few years, a huge success story. Fans might not like it but at least they'll have a top flight team to support in 10 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I dunno, its all well and good balancing the books but you have to have ambition too. I think spurs are letting pass a huge opportunity that they might not have again in decades.

The core of a league winning team is there, they need investment in 2/3 more top players and they can go down as a legendary team in their history. They arent man United that know that eventually, because of the sheer size of the brand worldwide success will likely come at some stage.

On another note I really hope a lot of these teams that have invested millions eg west ham, everton, and the likes have a good crack at winning a cup for their fans and dont start this ****e of resting players so they can finish 8th instead of 9th.

With all the money going around its still all about trophies and glory days for the fans and thats what counts, or maybe im becoming an old grumpy bastard.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

tastyt wrote: »
    I dunno, its all well and good balancing the books but you have to have ambition too. I think spurs are letting pass a huge opportunity that they might not have again in decades.

The core of a league winning team is there, they need investment in 2/3 more top players and they can go down as a legendary team in their history. They arent man United that know that eventually, because of the sheer size of the brand worldwide success will likely come at some stage.

On another note I really hope a lot of these teams that have invested millions eg west ham, everton, and the likes have a good crack at winning a cup for their fans and dont start this ****e of resting players so they can finish 8th instead of 9th.

With all the money going around its still all about trophies and glory days for the fans and thats what counts, or maybe im becoming an old grumpy bastard.....

Spurs record signings (if papers can be believed): Soldado, Lamela and Sissoko. Blowing money on 'top' players is great when you can afford to have another three or four go's at every transfer window a la Utd, Chelsea, City. Who is available that would strengthen the Spurs team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Spurs record signings (if papers can be believed): Soldado, Lamela and Sissoko. Blowing money on 'top' players is great when you can afford to have another three or four go's at every transfer window a la Utd, Chelsea, City. Who is available that would strengthen the Spurs team?

The individual spending of big money is what Spurs need to do better, Sissoko was a ridiculous signing for them and was well flagged. It depends what 'available' means, players always have a price. I really like Spurs as a team but a team/squad can always be strengthened.

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/899987089244205056

Man City prepare £20 million bid for Ben Gibson from 'boro as WBA stand firm on Evans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

inforfun wrote: »
    Do you count goals scored during training because Bet365 has him @3 to score over 9,5 PL goals.

What's Bet365 to do with it! 3/1 for him to score 10 or more is a steal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/899987089244205056

Man City prepare £20 million bid for Ben Gibson from 'boro as WBA stand firm on Evans.

Was Gibson not touted as West Broms next signing if Evans left?

https://twitter.com/dw_sports/status/899986745969848324

"Jürgen Klopp is interested in bringing former Schalke captain Benedikt Höwedes to the Premier League for €20m".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

eagle eye wrote: »
    The man turns 30 early next year so it's hardly a steal.

With his stature and if they get 3-4 quality years of of him at the highest level, in today's market and with the money everyone knows they have post Neymar, €40mn is a bit of a steal.

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelonaFl/status/900141224069406721

Seri to Barca is off.

Barca to put in another bid of £138 million for Coutinho.
    https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/900134415841579009

The Times went with this 10 minutes earlier.

"Klopp to welcome. Coutinho back into the fold"

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/900131764332580870

One hundred and thirty eight million pounds...

Probably something like
    10m up front and the 20m over a 30 year period and unachievable add ons made up like

40m when Barca win the World Cup
    30m when Barca win the intergalactic cup
    10m when Coutinho scores 15 goals for Real Madrid
    10m when Coutinho assists 30 goals for Argentina
    18m when Coutinho wins the Balon d'or

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

It's actually 101 up front with 37 based in very achievable goals such as progress is CL and such.

To be honest Liverpool can't sell now. A week to replace him?

Whoever they bought would cost about 80-90 million at least for an average player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

https://twitter.com/FCBarcelonaFl/status/900141224069406721

Seri to Barca is off.

Barca to put in another bid of £138 million for Coutinho.
    https://twitter.com/MailSport/status/900134415841579009

The Times went with this 10 minutes earlier.

"Klopp to welcome. Coutinho back into the fold"

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/900131764332580870

You couldn't make this up........oh wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Mr.H wrote: »
    It's actually 101 up front with 37 based in very achievable goals such as progress is CL and such.

To be honest Liverpool can't sell now. A week to replace him?

Whoever they bought would cost about 80-90 million at least for an average player

Id sell,thats easy double what hes worth and then recuruit next Jan/summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Id sell,thats easy double what hes worth and then recuruit next Jan/summer.

That's forfeiting the league, CL and qualification for next season's CL before the season has really started though. Even if they got 30-40m less next season, if they did well in the CL and qualify again it would have been worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm not a liverpool fan so I may be wrong but would Coutinho even need replacing? They havent looked too bad without him tbh. A front three of Mane-Firmino-Salah would be good enough for most matches. Get Lallana back fit and he can play ahead of Wijnaldum - Can? The Coutinho money I assume would be thrown at Southampton in an attempt to get VVD no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It's fine when you look at the starting line up but when you've multiple games a week and injuries to contend with, he's definitely needed or a player is needed at least.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    That's forfeiting the league, CL and qualification for next season's CL before the season has really started though. Even if they got 30-40m less next season, if they did well in the CL and qualify again it would have been worth it.

Rather have that cash than a player that clearly doesnt want to play for Liverpool.
    Since your talking ifs ,what happens if he resents the club not selling, thats a toxic envoirment thats no one wants.
    Hes one above average player you could get 2 for that money.

Rather have that cash than a player that clearly doesnt want to play for Liverpool.
    Since your talking ifs ,what happens if he resents the club not selling, thats a toxic envoirment thats no one wants.

World cup coming up, he'll be doing his best once the window closes if he wants to play in it.

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    World cup coming up, he'll be doing his best once the window closes if he wants to play in it.

Or down tools (even more so)and try for a push in the Jan window. 6 months in a Barca jersey would be more than enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,167 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    It's fine when you look at the starting line up but when you've multiple games a week and injuries to contend with, he's definitely needed or a player is needed at least.
    Milner, Grujic, Henderson, Sturridge, Ings, Origi; they migntnt be as "good" as the best XI players (ye shoulda kept Lucas imo) they provide fairly reasonable depth. The defence is clearly where ye're problems lie currently. Klavan and Moreno badly need replacing. It will be the defence, or lack thereof, that will cost Liverpool even as it stands regardless of Coutinho staying or not. Klopp would be a twatnozzle not to addresss the defense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

pjohnson wrote: »
    Milner, Grujic, Henderson, Sturridge, Ings, Origi; they migntnt be as "good" as the best XI players (ye shoulda kept Lucas imo) they provide fairly reasonable depth. The defence is clearly where ye're problems lie currently. Klavan and Moreno badly need replacing. It will be the defence, or lack thereof, that will cost Liverpool even as it stands regardless of Coutinho staying or not. Klopp would be a twatnozzle not to addresss the defense.
    Ye obviously all forget what happened last January

I look at it like the Suarez situation and that didn't work out too badly for him that season. He doesn't strike me as the type to down tools, and he can't afford to in a World Cup year. If he plays badly he'd compromise his move and his place in the Brazil squad.

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »
    I look at it like the Suarez situation and that didn't work out too badly for him that season. He doesn't strike me as the type to down tools, and he can't afford to in a World Cup year. If he plays badly he'd compromise his move and his place in the Brazil squad.

Did Suarez hand in a transfer request I cant remember but I thought he didnt.
    I remember reading in the Liverpool fourm that Phil wasnt the one to hand in a transfer request yet here we are,now he has a injured back,I believe hes already downed tools but thats imo.

• pjohnson wrote: »
    I'm not a liverpool fan so I may be wrong but would Coutinho even need replacing? They havent looked too bad without him tbh. A front three of Mane-Firmino-Salah would be good enough for most matches. Get Lallana back fit and he can play ahead of Wijnaldum - Can? The Coutinho money I assume would be thrown at Southampton in an attempt to get VVD no?

Agree fine in attack without him.
    Should be concentrating on getting replacements in defense which is a liability but assume too late at this stage in the transfer window.
    Klopp has shown to be stubborn with his purchases but the illusion of a perfect choice isn't going to happen.

I think they will really struggle to break down stubborn defences without him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think you'll find most of the people saying sell are those who don't support Liverpool so they would be happy to see a rival weakened.

The money been offered is mad but we already have £150 million that we can't spend so there's little point adding another £134 million to that. Couple that with the fact there is little over a week left in the window the chance of getting in a replacement are very slim.

Couthino was also going to play deeper this season with Mane, Firmino and Salah taking the front 3 spots for the majority of games.

On viewing the opening 3 fixtures, it's plain as day to see that Liverpool are missing the link between midfield and attack. I don't think they have anyone else that could provide that apart from maybe Lallana who is out as well.

It would be lunacy for them to sell at this stage without being able to bring someone in that does the same thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,179 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

If I were Liverpool and the reputed offer of £138m(£100m up front plus £38m in add-ons over 4 years) comes in, I'd take it. They should be working in the background on signing Mahrez as his replacement. And use some of the remainder on a quality centre back. Don't know if a Van Dijk deal is possible.

Nice of Barca to distract Seri before biggest game in his career and then lose interest! #morethanaclub

https://mobile.twitter.com/OmVArvind/status/900183816324698112

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

pjohnson wrote: »

No good having an attack when there is little to no creativity in midfield. Can, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner are all similar type players. Coutinho can take out the entire defence with one ball, is dangerous 30 yards from goal and one of the best dead ball specialists in world football right now. Liverpool had a couple of frees just outside the box against palace and Milner, can, Henderson wasted them completely.
    sligeach wrote: »
    If I were Liverpool and the reputed offer of £138m(£100m up front plus £38m in add-ons over 4 years) comes in, I'd take it. They should be working in the background on signing Mahrez as his replacement. And use some of the remainder on a quality centre back. Don't know if a Van Dijk deal is possible.

Since day one someone has said Liverpool should take the money.

When it was 77 million..take it he isn't worth that
    90 million..take it not worth it
    118 million..crazy not to take it not worth the money
    138 million..insane not to take it, not worth half that.

I bet next week barca bid 158 million..

Btw its likely not 100 million up front. Barca don't work that way. It will be 20 million paid in installments over 5 years and the add-ons are just ridiculous and Liverpool won't see a penny of that

rossie1977 wrote: »
    No good having an attack when there is little to no creativity in midfield. Can, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Milner are all similar type players. Coutinho can take out the entire defence with one ball, is dangerous 30 yards from goal and one of the best dead ball specialists in world football right now. Liverpool had a couple of frees just outside the box against palace and Milner, can, Henderson wasted them completely.

Plus they don't exactly have huge depth of quality going into a (possible ) Champion League season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

As a red I would be happy taking 110 mill up front plus sergi Roberto,plus xtras based on the usual stuff. Spend the 50 leiscter want for mharez, the German cb,and regroup until January/summer.
    Maybe get keita then. Phil Could do his knee or ankle and the deals done,he's gonna probably go next year anyway.If we can't get mharez then don't sell..I know there different types of players .

Too much money involved to risk it Imo (him staying)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Hopefully Countinho stays, such an inconsistent player being their highest paid is only good for teams around them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Hopefully Countinho stays, such an inconsistent player being their highest paid is only good for teams around them

Inconsistent or not, he's another creative player to worry the opposition and give them someone to at least consider marking, hence creating space for Salah or Mane. Otherwise with a midfield of Henderson, can and Wijnaldum, opposing teams can just ignore them and focus on the attacking threat.

As a red I would be happy taking 110 mill up front plus sergi Roberto,plus xtras based on the usual stuff. Spend the 50 leiscter want for mharez, the German cb,and regroup until January/summer.
    Maybe get keita then. Phil Could do his knee or ankle and the deals done,he's gonna probably go next year anyway.If we can't get mharez then don't sell..I know there different types of players .

And Marhez could break his leg after 30 seconds. No point selling a player because he might get injured.

He's irreplaceable for Liverpool IMO. Too late in the window and they can't spend the money they have.

Someone above said Klopp was stubborn and didn't look to alternative targets when he knew early on his targets would be difficult to achieve, I'd agree somewhat. Plenty of decent talent out there, and not all for crazy money either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Nice of Barca to distract Seri before biggest game in his career and then lose interest! #morethanaclub

Nice were so far below Napoli's level if they had 15 players they'd have still been beaten with Balotelli & Sneijder on the pitch.

Here fishy, fishies :rolleyes:

Meh...Mahrez. 110 million to keep Coutinho for another season is less riskier than paying half that to depend on Mahrez. It's not as if Liverpool can't afford a decent centre back w/o having to sell PC .

• Advertisement
Advertisement