Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Certification for a new Career

Options
  • 15-05-2017 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hey guys
    at the moment i work in logistics and was looking to get into IT , have you any tips what certification i need to enter the field of IT , i know cloud computing is the next big thing along with Cyber security and was wondering what my options are here for certs on both subjects and if this is a wise move at age 34

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What are you interested in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

The major question I ask the TY students that i get once every week in work.

DO you like computers ?. What do you know about them ?. Do you know what UNIX is ?. Would you like to learn how to code ?.

But what kind of degree do you come with it ?. Are you looking at doing a spring board course to convert into IT ?.

As being honest you are going to need a lot more then just a cert to enter IT as I work in one of the world largest cyber security companies and everyone comes from a heavy IT backgrounds are you willing at doing a degree in IT part time ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KennySP

as i said looking for the next big thing that both seems to be is cyber security and cloud computing , both ibat and griffith college do both courses , my question is will employers take you without any experience even though you have your certs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

KennySP wrote: »
    as i said looking for the next big thing that both seems to be is cyber security and cloud computing , both ibat and griffith college do both courses , my question is will employers take you without any experience even though you have your certs

Both buzzwords and apply to a number of varied roles with IT. And your unlikely to get a good job with just a cert unless you can show a real skill or passion for the work you want to do.

I work in IT and I can tell you, plenty of people around me who are stuck in the 30-40k bracket, in a position of incompetence and obviously hate their job. All of that because they have no interest in computers or programming.

Advertisement