Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling a credit card

Options
  • 15-05-2017 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi , id like to cancel my credit card. It's of no benefit to me as I'm living abroad and I'm paying the annual fee for no real reason at the moment. The last time I called the international helpline, I spent 30 mins on hold, queing twice, racking up serious international charges... Unfortunately​ the CardCare doesn't offer this feature either. Can you advise how best to do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Contradirony

Bank of Ireland are ridiculously incompetent with cancelling accounts. I closed my account almost a year ago (July 2016) as I have moved abroad and they have now recently sent mail to my last address with a new credit card and then another letter a week later with a notification of that account being closed and an overdraft of 30euro. I'm only alerted to this now as I have received a missed call from an internal BOI number. 

Please, one of your reps send me a private message directly - I will not spend 30mins on hold on an international call to deal with your repeat mistakes. (I say repeat, because about 2 months after I closed this account last year, BOI called me informing me of another mistake they had made which resulted in this 30euro overdraft which seems to have not been fixed properly!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

stephen090 wrote: »
    Hi , id like to cancel my credit card. It's of no benefit to me as I'm living abroad and I'm paying the annual fee for no real reason at the moment. The last time I called the international helpline, I spent 30 mins on hold, queing twice, racking up serious international charges... Unfortunately​ the CardCare doesn't offer this feature either. Can you advise how best to do this?

Thanks!
    Hi stephen090

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

Sorry to hear of the phone delay you experienced trying to close your Credit Card. 

You can also send a written request to your Branch or Bank of Ireland, Account Closures Team, 3rd Floor Operations Centre, Cabinteely, Dublin 18.

Just to mention, before requesting closure;

-Please ensure your Credit Card balance is cleared in full
    -Also, cancel any third party  direct debits/ subscriptions directly with the retailer
    -GSD may be charged on account closure

*Government Stamp Duty is a government tax. We collect this tax on behalf of the Revenue each year on April 1st for the previous year or upon account closure. 

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in touch again.

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Bank of Ireland are ridiculously incompetent with cancelling accounts. I closed my account almost a year ago (July 2016) as I have moved abroad and they have now recently sent mail to my last address with a new credit card and then another letter a week later with a notification of that account being closed and an overdraft of 30euro. I'm only alerted to this now as I have received a missed call from an internal BOI number. 

Please, one of your reps send me a private message directly - I will not spend 30mins on hold on an international call to deal with your repeat mistakes. (I say repeat, because about 2 months after I closed this account last year, BOI called me informing me of another mistake they had made which resulted in this 30euro overdraft which seems to have not been fixed properly!!)
    Hi Contradirony

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.

We'll send you a PM shortly and arrange for a member of our Card Team to make contact and help resolve this for you. 

Many Thanks
    Alison

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Contradirony

Thanks to the BOI customer reps here, I got my issue resolved smoothly. Excellent customer service to mop up real-life mistakes - keep it up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

Thanks to the BOI customer reps here, I got my issue resolved smoothly. Excellent customer service to mop up real-life mistakes - keep it up!
    We're glad to hear this Contradirony and happy to help :) 

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Advertisement
Advertisement