Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing my Norton security?

Options
  • 15-05-2017 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I've been on the Premium Norton antivirus that came with the laptop for several years (to be honest I just let it renew automatically each time). I then cancelled the subscription after renewing for the last time in 2016 - it costs a small fortune and I don't need that much protection.

Now, I'm getting the prompt to renew the antivirus but for the Premium version. The Standard version will do me fine, however there is no choice on the renewal page to change product. Do I just buy the antivirus and submit the new key into my installed Norton security or do I need to remove/uninstall that from the laptop and install the new standard product?

Thanks for reading and any advice would be welcome.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

What version of Windows are you running?

I wouldn't bother paying for antivirus on any modern Windows OS to be honest. If you're running Windows 7, I'd suggest either AVG or Avast free versions - if you use Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, the inbuilt Windows Defender is absolutely fine.

Use Malwarebyes Free as well every month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Ditto above.

Why pay for a bloated anti-virus application when AVG or Avast do just as good a job for free. I also run CCleaner (free) to clean up all the rubbish.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Thanks guys and I get what your saying but I'm happy to stick with Norton albeit on the cheaper package. I would be grateful for any advice on the OP.

Edit: Done, tedious but fairly idiot proof. thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Windows Defender is perfectly fine (especially on Windows 10) if you configure properly and enable the new advanced features. Then just run occasional MalwareBytes (free version) to remove any PUP crap.

Advertisement