Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

There've been a few folks (across the social media spectrum) claiming racism in terms of the objection to Aki's inclusion in the Irish squad lately. I'm not mad on project players myself regardless, neither do I begrudge Aki his jersey at all - he's done really well at Connacht and deserves his shot (similarly Stander and Payne). Do these apparent racists pick and choose? I mean I haven't heard much about Adam Byrne being included... is it because he's got a good Irish accent on him, or because he's just not 'black enough'?

A lot of the implication I've seen lately has been that Stander/Payne are white, but Aki isn't, and that's somehow made the difference in terms of criticism of the project player stuff. If that were the case, maybe those people would possibly have mentioned something about Byrne getting involved - even though he's as Irish as any of us and not a project player. Maybe racists just pick their battles. Or maybe it's all a load of ****, not sure.

OK some of the sentences above, out of context, are bad, I really hope potential employers don't read this. Maybe this was a badly judged post. All I'm saying is those seeing racism in the whole situation should look at it again and see if those same people given a **** about Byrne. If they don't, it's probably not racism.

I'm not talking to anyone here. I suppose I'm reacting to what I've read on other media forums (be they social or otherwise).

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Hastentoadd

There've been a few folks (across the social media spectrum) claiming racism in terms of the objection to Aki's inclusion in the Irish squad lately. I'm not mad on project players myself regardless, neither do I begrudge Aki his jersey at all - he's done really well at Connacht and deserves his shot (similarly Stander and Payne). Do these apparent racists pick and choose? I mean I haven't heard much about Adam Byrne being included... is it because he's got a good Irish accent on him, or because he's just not 'black enough'?

A lot of the implication I've seen lately has been that Stander/Payne are white, but Aki isn't, and that's somehow made the difference in terms of criticism of the project player stuff. If that were the case, maybe those people would possibly have mentioned something about Byrne getting involved - even though he's as Irish as any of us and not a project player. Maybe racists just pick their battles. Or maybe it's all a load of ****, not sure.

OK some of the sentences above, out of context, are bad, I really hope potential employers don't read this. Maybe this was a badly judged post. All I'm saying is those seeing racism in the whole situation should look at it again and see if those same people given a **** about Byrne. If they don't, it's probably not racism.

I'm not talking to anyone here. I suppose I'm reacting to what I've read on other media forums (be they social or otherwise).

Your post makes no sense. Are you looking for somebody to make your mind up. I have my opinion. I don't need you to make my opinion up nor will I force my opinion on you. So get a life and pick your side of the fence. Don't have a need for somebody else to decide for you. Its called an opinion

Given I'm probably going to regret the above post, I should also say I think Byrne completely deserves his call up in case that wasn't clear or someone things I'm against Byrne for any reason. Going forward, his running lines and footwork are superb, and while his defense is highly suspect, there's no better place to improve and no better coach to improve under. Really looking forward to seeing him ... though if Argentina exploit our outside defense like last time we met, it'll be rough for him.

Your post makes no sense. Are you looking for somebody to make your mind up. I have my opinion. I don't need you to make my opinion up nor will I force my opinion on you. So get a life and pick your side of the fence. Don't have a need for somebody else to decide for you. Its called an opinion

I know my opinion. I'd rather project players weren't a thing, but they are. Since they are, Aki, Payne Stander, all get a go in the team - they're good enough. I don't think there was racism involved in most (not all) of the ****fest that appeared around Aki getting selected. That's my opinion.

I'm using the inclusion of Byrne to highlight the last part, and I'm asking people to think about it in that light. That's all. In that racism wasn't a part of most peoples decision making.

It's just somethint that occurred to me earlier, it wasn't something preying on my mind or anything.

I know that is a statement. But I suspect a deeper meaning :-)

No, that's reidy what he meant.

I know my opinion. I'd rather project players weren't a thing, but they are. Since they are, Aki, Payne Stander, all get a go in the team
    Its a really strange thing. I am so caught with this. As a Connacht supporter it honestly filled me with pride seeing Aki in the green shirt. And I know the reason I felt that way was because he was a Connacht player.

So is the province more important than the country? Its such a difficult answer. I want the Irish team to win and I want the Connacht players to do well. And Bundee is Connacht, so to me he is an Irish player.

Maybe I don't like some Leinster players on the Irish team. But I support my provincial players on the Irish team and understand other provincial supporters backing their favourites.

But at the end of the day I support Ireland, and pride in the shirt is everything. It matters a lot to lots of people as to who plays for Ireland. I think, as a provincial supporter, I want to see as many players as possible from my province on the international team. It gives me pride to see that success and Bundee provides such pride to Connacht supporters. To me me he bleeds Connacht green

I was against Zebo playing for Ireland too

... But I support my provincial players on the Irish team and understand other provincial supporters backing their favourites.

But at the end of the day I support Ireland, and pride in the shirt is everything. It matters a lot to lots of people as to who plays for Ireland. I think, as a provincial supporter, I want to see as many players as possible from my province on the international team. It gives me pride to see that success and Bundee provides such pride to Connacht supporters. To me me he bleeds Connacht green

Absolutely. We'll all (all things being equal) root for our provincial player to get the nod ahead of another provinces, but we want what is best fo the Irish setup, that's what's most important for me as well.

I'm not quite full on raving anti-project player, I just wish it weren't a thing. But it is, and I've come to terms with that - and seeing people like Aki or Stander go out there and give it all in the green shirt is great to see, 'pashun' wise.

That's the spirit! </s>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

So is Joe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

So is Zebo :D

FYP ;)

• Advertisement

No, that's reidy what he meant.

Good one Venjur ☺.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Anyone ever watched a game in Shanghai? Any chance of a pub being open?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think Byrne completely deserves his call up in case that wasn't clear or someone things I'm against Byrne for any reason. Going forward, his running lines and footwork are superb, and while his defense is highly suspect, there's no better place to improve and no better coach to improve under. Really looking forward to seeing him ... though if Argentina exploit our outside defense like last time we met, it'll be rough for him.

I'm delighted for Adam Byrne, but I also fear for his long term prospects with Ireland.

Joe has a track record of not liking defensive weakness and blinding pace or a nose for the try line won't be enough to overcome that.

That said, he's still only young and injuries have meant he's further back in his development than he should be, so plenty of scope for improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I'm delighted for Adam Byrne, but I also fear for his long term prospects with Ireland.

Joe has a track record of not liking defensive weakness and blinding pace or a nose for the try line won't be enough to overcome that.
    No, but he's been praising Byrne's work ethic in camp, so I would imagine that's what he's been working on. We'll see tomorrow. At least Super Rob is there to keep him in line. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

One thing Joe loves, more than most other things it seems, is work ethic and coachability. And Adam Byrne has been showing that in spades in recent times.

One thing Joe loves, more than most other things it seems, is work ethic and coachability. And Adam Byrne has been showing that in spades in recent times.

It's what got SuperDave into the Irish squad and has kept him there

It's what got SuperDave into the Irish squad and has kept him there

Also Tommy Bowe came from outside the extended squad initially into the matchday 23 last 6N because Schmidt said he trained so well.

Delighted for Byrne. People talk all sorts of ****e about him but he's a very good player and time in camp will hopefully have helped him a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Haven't looked at this thread since Monday and I just skipped 43 pages. What endless rant did I miss?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

DGRulz wrote: »
    Haven't looked at this thread since Monday and I just skipped 43 pages. What endless rant did I miss?

Joe-Schmidt-Rob-Kearney.jpg

• Advertisement

Kearney(s)
    Luke Fitz is a racist
    Luke Fitz is a communist (don't worry, nobody else understands either)
    Luke McGrath
    Kearney(s)

DGRulz wrote: »

If you could remove 3 posters it would drop to around 5 pages and actually be quite reasonable.

Also it turns out that Zzippy doesn't like pillow talk unless it's fishing related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Kearney(s)
    Luke Fitz is a racist
    Luke Fitz is a communist (don't worry, nobody else understands either)
    Luke McGrath
    Kearney(s)

You forgot the fact that Furlong is a decent scummager and overrated by everyone. That one was my personal favourite.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

You forgot the fact that Furlong is a decent scummager and overrated by everyone. That one was my personal favourite.

Luke McGrath is slow.

irishfan9 wrote: »
    Luke McGrath is slow.

I mean, he's not slow but you wouldn't see him make a break down the blindside.

except for all those breaks he's made, there are literally loads of them, it's probably one area where his game is top drawer so lets draw attention to it in an attempt to disparage him. whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I mean, he's not slow but you wouldn't see him make a break down the blindside.

except for all those breaks he's made, there are literally loads of them, it's probably one area where his game is top drawer so lets draw attention to it in an attempt to disparage him. whoops.

bf028f26715fb25c19242ce9c02266c5d2d6c29f5f9da2f7f5604c0a4625124a.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Non match news. Apparently Ireland will play NZ next autumn, and we were offered a second test in a neutral venue (The Netherlands) but turned it down becuase it wasn't a revenue share.

Turning down ABs tests. I never.

Sure we didn't win the bid, the IRFU can stop pretending they care about developing rugby in non-traditional areas now, no point playing games in the Netherlands!

errlloyd wrote: »
    Non match news. Apparently Ireland will play NZ next autumn, and we were offered a second test in a neutral venue (The Netherlands) but turned it down becuase it wasn't a revenue share.

So... NZ wanted all the revenue? How could they expect anyone to agree to that?

And we don't need their salty votes anymore.

Yeah, how could they expect Samoa to continually agree to that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think that's all that unusual for NZ coming north. They're the big draw and generate massive interest and knock on ticket sales. I'd imagine they took the bulk of revenue from the Chicago match but the IRFU probably made solid money off the back of it.

Quotes from Schmidt in the media that he would have considered Aki at 13 but Henshaw pulled out of the game quite late and he didn't want to shift Aki around too much considering he'd trained at 12 and only has one cap under his belt.

So we could have seen a McCloskey/Aki pairing instead of Aki/Farrell. The former is just a better pairing imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Buer wrote: »
    I don't think that's all that unusual for NZ coming north. They're the big draw and generate massive interest and knock on ticket sales. I'd imagine they took the bulk of revenue from the Chicago match but the IRFU probably made solid money off the back of it.

Apparently we got a million pound, the all blacks got 3 million pound, the Americans got $750k for licensing it and the profits went to the promoters.

Edit:removed an article because it cuts off I will attempt to find another source.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Ironic post of the year!

The racism thing is just a completely contrived idea that some people have decided to run with, that involves a huge amount of selective memory loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That said, he's still only young and injuries have meant he's further back in his development than he should be, so plenty of scope for improvement.

Earls' career would seem to contradict that :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Earls' career would seem to contradict that :pac:

I know this is in jest, but Earls's wing D is right up there with the best, imo.

At centre it's perhaps another story.

Where the hell is he btw, injured?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I know this is in jest, but Earls's wing D is right up there with the best, imo.

At centre it's perhaps another story.

Where the hell is he btw, injured?

Yep, gonna miss the European games as well. It's a shame, he's been in cracking form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Sorry to keep you waiting. I didn't realise we were on such a tight deadline. I thought we at least had till the new year to get our responses in to you.

My response is I'm not privy to the plans of the coaches so I have no idea who they will select. Also I haven't received any data on which players will be falling ill, getting injured, losing form, having children or family tragedies in 2018. Once I have all that info I can start making my predictions.

Basically I hope that Ireland win all their games next year (they're not playing the ABs are they?) and I'm sure that is the aim of the team. However it'll be tough and chances are they'll drop a 2 or 3 games. And that would still be a good year.

Why are you listing excuses that should in no way affect a highly professional international rugby team?
    As i have posted here many times the only valid excuse for a loss is you were not good enough.

So basically if they lose 4 games in the 6 nations/aussie tour its a poor year.
    Thanks

If we go on a full strength policy, i think you are right. France away is doable. The three home games should be doable.
    If we go on a somewhat experimental approach in Oz, then one win and some additional experience for the 16 - 30 squad members.

I agree but an experimental approach in oz i believe would be wrong. we should go to win that tour as it is there to be won and would be a great achievement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

Anyone ever watched a game in Shanghai? Any chance of a pub being open?

The likes of the camel should be, but be prepared to try to negotiate to switch over from the all blacks or soccer, and bury yourself in a corner if they have a smaller screen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Why are you listing excuses that should in no way affect a highly professional international rugby team?
    As i have posted here many times the only valid excuse for a loss is you were not good enough.

So basically if they lose 4 games in the 6 nations/aussie tour its a poor year.
    Thanks

I never mentioned excuses. Also I never said losing 4 games would be a poor year.

Also now we know Ireland is playing the ABs next year. That's a guaranteed loss so 2 or 3 losses could actually be a great year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

I never mentioned excuses. Also I never said losing 4 games would be a poor year.

Also now we know Ireland is playing the ABs next year. That's a guaranteed loss so 2 or 3 losses could actually be a great year.

It is not a guaranteed loss. Certainly I don't take dookoo's approach but our players should not be scared of the all blacks. We can beat them.

Christy42 wrote: »
    It is not a guaranteed loss. Certainly I don't take dookoo's approach but our players should not be scared of the all blacks. We can beat them.

Yeah_Right is a kiwi and was doing a joke

It would be a first!

:D

i am referring to 6 nations and aussie tour only.
    thats 8 games and surely to lose 4 would be a poor year?
    I am being honest here, i am not going to use this to josh schmidt or kearney or whatever, I really would like to know what posters would consider good, average and poor for first half of 2018.
    It will only work if we are all honest of where we think ireland are - i posted my views earlier.
    3 nil loss in ozland and 4th in the 6 nations would be considered I believe very poor and hopefully highly unlikely.
    I am not looking for predictions, there is no right or wrong, just it would be fun to see where we think ireland are and does it match the reality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

We let kiwi's onto the forum!

Hmm yeah I get jokes. Totally just didn't miss that at all...

I have literally no opinion on the Aussie tour. Summer tours are impossible to predict this far out because they're so dictated by injuries.

I want Ireland to challenge for a grand slam. That means a strong start with France in Paris but they're far from their best at the moment. Then I think we'll have enough to win out at home until the big decider... I think beating England in Twickenham will be very very tough but I think we are good enough that we should be in a position to make it a Grand Slam decider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I have literally no opinion on the Aussie tour. Summer tours are impossible to predict this far out because they're so dictated by injuries.

I want Ireland to challenge for a grand slam. That means a strong start with France in Paris but they're far from their best at the moment. Then I think we'll have enough to win out at home until the big decider... I think beating England in Twickenham will be very very tough but I think we are good enough that we should be in a position to make it a Grand Slam decider.
    Yeah. Time for another championship win at the very least.

And no, I'm not Count Dookoo in disguise. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

We'll end up beating everyone but Italy or something, wait till ye see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We can win a GS if Sexton is fit. If he isn't then we won't. It's hardly an earth shattering revelation but without him irrespective of how talented (as opposed to being a complete out half) Carbery is, we really are up against it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement