Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I really think setting out expectations at this stage is pointless. It’s basically a rod to beat your own back with kind of stuff. There are far too many variables involved, and while we would never want to set the bar too low we also need to be realistic in terms of where things can go wrong. As bilston pointed out an injury to Sexton can change everything for example. The tour to Australia could be completely different if a couple of provinces make the SFs in Europe and knock outs in the league.

We’re always better looking back at a season as opposed to looking forward in that regard. Figure out how well we went in context of what happened and what areas we’d like to see improved in the coming season. We need improved depth at 10, so getting Joey more time there in the 6Ns and Australia is important. That doesn’t necessarily mean starts, just some decent time off the bench along with 1 or 2 starts.

We need improved depth at hooker. Scannell, Cronin and Tracy all need time. Particularly if we don’t think Best will make the RWC. Again, they don’t need to be starting the big 6Ns games, just getting a decent bit of game time over the course of the season.

We need to be able to react to things like shortened warm ups properly and prevent a Scotland 2.0 from happening. For all the press missed the point, Joe was desperately repeating that the issue was us not being able to adapt. That needs to be something we get better at. On and off the field.

We need to be a bit more clinical in the red zone.

There’s probably a few more things that we need to see improved but they are the things that spring to mind. If we see movement in those directions then that to me is a successful season. Results will either look after themselves or be outside our control. I can handle losing a game if we perform. And that can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Y'know I think this has been one of the most successful November series we've ever had. Potentially even better than last year's as funny as that may sound.

We blooded a lot of young and new players who'll be fixtures in the side for the next 5 years at least and we played some cracking rugby as well. It's the most forward thinking series I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Clegg wrote: »
    Y'know I think this has been one of the most successful November series we've ever had. Potentially even better than last year's as funny as that may sound.

We blooded a lot of young and new players who'll be fixtures in the side for the next 5 years at least and we played some cracking rugby as well. It's the most forward thinking series I can remember

Sometimes it means nothing. Remember we hammered Argentina in 2012 and it looked like Craig Gilroy was the answer to all the country’s problems. Had our worst 6 Nations ever the following spring.

So the onus is on Schmidt and the team to take this forward now and deliver results consistently in the 6 Nations, which they’ve been failing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Clegg wrote: »

Sometimes it means nothing. Remember we hammered Argentina in 2012 and it looked like Craig Gilroy was the answer to all the country’s problems. Had our worst 6 Nations ever the following spring.

So the onus is on Schmidt and the team to take this forward now and deliver results consistently in the 6 Nations, which they’ve been failing to do.
    You're right, but back then we had a logjam of experienced internationals in the squad and still in the prime of their careers. But the likes of Bowe, Trimble, D Ryan and Zebo are now unavailable either through form or where they're playing their rugby and poor Fitzgerald retired at 28. There isn't that depth of experience still at the top of the queue. Stockdale and Conway have done themselves a world of good this series. I reckon Stockdale is a nailed on starter for the 6N and Conway will be in the 23 jersey. And if James Ryan could stay fit he'll get the 19 jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

And doing it an even year would be the toughest challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

molloyjh wrote: »
    I really think setting out expectations at this stage is pointless. It’s basically a rod to beat your own back with kind of stuff. There are far too many variables involved, and while we would never want to set the bar too low we also need to be realistic in terms of where things can go wrong. As bilston pointed out an injury to Sexton can change everything for example. The tour to Australia could be completely different if a couple of provinces make the SFs in Europe and knock outs in the league.

We’re always better looking back at a season as opposed to looking forward in that regard. Figure out how well we went in context of what happened and what areas we’d like to see improved in the coming season. We need improved depth at 10, so getting Joey more time there in the 6Ns and Australia is important. That doesn’t necessarily mean starts, just some decent time off the bench along with 1 or 2 starts.

We need improved depth at hooker. Scannell, Cronin and Tracy all need time. Particularly if we don’t think Best will make the RWC. Again, they don’t need to be starting the big 6Ns games, just getting a decent bit of game time over the course of the season.

We need to be able to react to things like shortened warm ups properly and prevent a Scotland 2.0 from happening. For all the press missed the point, Joe was desperately repeating that the issue was us not being able to adapt. That needs to be something we get better at. On and off the field.

We need to be a bit more clinical in the red zone.

There’s probably a few more things that we need to see improved but they are the things that spring to mind. If we see movement in those directions then that to me is a successful season. Results will either look after themselves or be outside our control. I can handle losing a game if we perform. And that can happen.

first you set your goals.
    then you evaluate the performance in reaching those goals.
    team performance evaluation does not work if you set no goals or set goals with an asterix stating all goals lowered or nullified if the following players are injured.
    injuries and reaching semi final and final are common in every rugby nation in the world.
    Injuries, player burnout, poor form, indiscipline affect every rugby nation in the world.

The only gain from evaluating performance without setting goals is Excuses can be used to.
    Excuses were not acceptable in 2015 and that still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Well guys you could disagree with me but you can't tell i'm dishonest :
    Kearney has had a good game
    Still think he won't held that level until RWC, but yes he was very decent today.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

connachta wrote: »
    Still think he won't held that level until RWC, but yes he was very decent today.

You seem to be unable to get your head around the idea of what is happening. There is going to be a 31 man squad picked for rwc from around 50-55 players and possibly a few more who are yet to be capped. You are fixated with one player and ignoring the rest of the 11-15 and the building going.

There is players in the current squad who wont make that squad in 2019. But we are not in a position to just stick with 30-35 players for the next 2 years to build for one game (A QF).

Conor Murray went to rwc2011 having made his debut in the warm ups. Furlong went to rwc 2015 after his debut in the warm ups.

Planning for a rwc doesnt mean having the squad set in stone a year out. We had that in 2007 and it was a disaster. A lot will change before september 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭dubal

Kearney delivered today and Smith was.right, that's why he's one of the best coaches in the world. We just need to accept it and edket it go.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    You seem to be unable to get your head around the idea of what is happening. There is going to be a 31 man squad picked for rwc from around 50-55 players and possibly a few more who are yet to be capped. You are fixated with one player and ignoring the rest of the 11-15 and the building going.

There is players in the current squad who wont make that squad in 2019. But we are not in a position to just stick with 30-35 players for the next 2 years to build for one game (A QF).

Conor Murray went to rwc2011 having made his debut in the warm ups. Furlong went to rwc 2015 after his debut in the warm ups.

Planning for a rwc doesnt mean having the squad set in stone a year out. We had that in 2007 and it was a disaster. A lot will change before september 2019.

50-55 players? come on, 25 of the japan squad is fairly nailed on bar injuries.
    the only openings are replacement hooker, lock, wings and 9

• Advertisement

50-55 players? come on, 25 of the japan squad is fairly nailed on bar injuries.
    the only openings are replacement hooker, lock, wings.

Precisely. There is 20-25 of the squad who you would imagine will travel (injury permitting). That leaves 6-11 spots up for grabs. The whole point of giving guys chances is to provide depth in positions we need to improve it. Out of the 36 players ireland used this november it is entirely feasible only 18-20 go to Japan in the original 31.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Barring injury, the following will go to Japan:

Healy, McGrath, Furlong, Henderson, Toner, POM, Stander, SOB, VDF, Murray, Sexton, Earls, Stockdale, Henshaw, Ringrose, Aki, Kearney. Best, Payne and Heaslip too depending on how things go with age and injury. That's 20, injury will rule at least 3 or 4 out when it comes around.

So basically half the RWC squad is up for grabs and there's 18 games left.

There's a huge amount still to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

So drunk... I know we won, don’t ask me the score lads

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Kearney is Kearney

He's very good at what he's good at but fairly limited at what he's not good at.

For example running the ball back as a strike runner is what he's good at, linking up with players to put them in space is what he's not good at.

If the game were to be played tomorrow and he had to do different things he'd struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Kearney is Kearney

He's very good at what he's good at but fairly limited at what he's not good at.

For example running the ball back as a strike runner is what he's good at, linking up with players to put them in space is what he's not good at.

If the game were to be played tomorrow and he had to do different things he'd struggle.

That is the most ridiculous state the obvious post I've read.

If sob had to play tomorrow and he had to do different things like place kick he would struggle!

He is picked for what he can do. Joe trusts him whenever he is fit. Clearly he fits the bill. Kearney bashing after yesterday just looks ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Kearney is Kearney

That is the most ridiculous state the obvious post I've read.

If sob had to play tomorrow and he had to do different things like place kick he would struggle!

He is picked for what he can do. Joe trusts him whenever he is fit. Clearly he fits the bill. Kearney bashing after yesterday just looks ridiculous

the following are barring injuries nailed on for japan
    mcgrath healy best furlong ryan toner henderson sob pom stander heaslip murray sexton henshaw ringrose earls d kearney r kearney jackson carbery aki stockdale ruddock vdf marrimon mcgrath

the biggest mistake we all make is thinking we have real competitive depth. we dont in many positions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

The biggest problem for Schmidt now will be managing The Weight Of Expectation.

No more "plucky underdog" status for Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Don Kiddick

swiwi_ wrote: »

Don't think anyone here has thought of us as plucky underdogs in quite a while...more like underperformers in world cups I would suggest

Don't think anyone here has thought of is a plucky underdogs in quite a while...more like underperformers in world cups I would suggest

The only team we would have considered ourselves underdogs against would be the ABs I'd say. And we still are underdogs against them. For example, we came away from that South African tour disappointed not to win.

Although away from home in England this year I would presume we will be considered underdogs with the bookies. Unless they implode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

mcgrath healy best furlong ryan toner henderson sob pom stander heaslip murray sexton henshaw ringrose earls d kearney r kearney jackson carbery aki stockdale ruddock vdf marrimon mcgrath

the biggest mistake we all make is thinking we have real competitive depth. we dont in many positions

Funny.

The only team we would have considered ourselves underdogs against would be the ABs I'd say. And we still are underdogs against them. For example, we came away from that South African tour disappointed not to win.

Although away from home in England this year I would presume we will be considered underdogs with the bookies. Unless they implode.

Tbf...the term swiwi used was plucky underdogs which infers a team that will put up a fight, but ultimately loses... Italy would be a plucky underdog...Ireland would not imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

?width=630&version=3717491

I wish I knew how to quit you

I wish I knew how to quit you

Knock one....I mean knock yourself out :):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

swiwi_ wrote: »

We went into 2007 and 2015 with a **** ton of expectation as well.

In 2006 AIs we comfortably beat Australia and South Africa. Were it not for bod being injured and Clerc being Clerc we'd have won a grand slam.

In 2015 we had just won back to back 6ns. An away tour against Argentina and had a good AI before too.

I'd say we were the bookies favorite for 3 out of 4 of our last world cup losses. Argentina, Wales, and Argentina. France were probably favourites in 07. Maybe I'm misjudging 2007 but certainly the last two.

Mad to think Wales lost 3 out of 7 games at the 2011 World Cup we lost 1, but they look back on it as a WC where they could have made a final, and we look back on it as a complete and abject failure.

Rwc 2015
    We brought 5 backrows (you named 6)
    We brought 2 9s (you named 3)

Jackson could be in jail or no longer playing rugby in ireland

We have to bring 31 players and there will be guys who lose out because there will be close calls to make.

I dont think either Kearney is nailed on to go.

Kearney had a good series but he is a certain age and he can't keep going forever. He also can't rely on the experienced hand to marshall the backline tag he held this time.

In addition a lot of back three players had a good series. Kearney (assuming he is not retired) will be in contention to make the plane for 2019 but I can't tell you if he will. I am willing to bet that he will start a warm up game prior to the competition.

In the backline yesterday 11-15 Kearney was the only player with more than 5 caps. He was the experienced veteran leading the outside backs and he did that excellently.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Unless Kearney's form falls off a cliff to the extent that it did for guys like Hayes or D'Arcy ahead of the respective 2011 and 2015 selections, I cannot see him being left at home.

Even if not first choice, Schmidt will see him as a very reliable and safe option that can slot in seamlessly if the first choice is unavailable. Dempsey went to the RWC in 2007 at 32 as a safe pair of hands and I fully expect Kearney to go in 2019 at 33 under a similar line of thinking.

• Advertisement

Rwc 2015

We have to bring 31 players and there will be guys who lose out because there will be close calls to make.

Nice ninja edit ;)

Rwc 2015

to not bring 2 hookers, 6 back rows and 3 nines to a world cup is silly, these are specialist position that require maximum squad training time.

rightly or wrongly
    , both kearneys are heading to japan, zebo is not, mccloskey and toh have less chance then zebo,
    the irish squad is very settled and has a familiar look when all players available and fit. bar injuries we know the majority of those heading to japan.
    schmidt is basically selecting from 2 provinces so i dont understand why posters here and experts in general keep harping on about player depth.
    the idea there is so much to play for with a settled, experienced squad with a conservative coach is ridiculous.

Buer wrote: »
    Unless Kearney's form falls off a cliff to the extent that it did for guys like Hayes or D'Arcy ahead of the respective 2011 and 2015 selections, I cannot see him being left at home.

Even if not first choice, Schmidt will see him as a very reliable and safe option that can slot in seamlessly if the first choice is unavailable. Dempsey went to the RWC in 2007 at 32 as a safe pair of hands and I fully expect Kearney to go in 2019 at 33 under a similar line of thinking.

I'm not sure he will. I don't believe a back (other than sh/oh) who isn't first choice will go unless he can cover more than one position. I wouldnt want Rob on the wing as cover.

, both kearneys are heading to japan, zebo is not, mccloskey and toh have less chance then zebo,

Per the autumn internationals Rob Kearney, Stockdale, Conway, Byrne, and Sweetnam are ahead of Dave Kearney. You would have to imagine that Earls is ahead too. There won't be 7 back three players in the squad.

This ignores the like of Larmour and Daly that are coming through at Leinster and look likely to help keep Dave out of the Leinster squad and TOH who is out of the squad because he didn't show Joe that he was improving his work ones due to Lam's instructions.

Per the autumn internationals Rob Kearney, Stockdale, Conway, Byrne, and Sweetnam are ahead of Dave Kearney. You would have to imagine that Earls is ahead too. There won't be 7 back three players in the squad.

This ignores the like of Larmour and Daly that are coming through at Leinster and look likely to help keep Dave out of the Leinster squad and TOH who is out of the squad because he didn't show Joe that he was improving his work ones due to Lam's instructions.

i dont agree sweetman, byrne or conway are currently ahead of dave kearney.
    i was never a big fan of dave kearney but to say those 3 are ahead of him is jumping the gun especially byrne and sweetman.
    larmour first has to break into the leinster firsts and i cannot see him developing within 2 years to do even that never mind ireland.

larmour first has to break into the leinster firsts and i cannot see him developing within 2 years to do even that never mind ireland.

Why

• Advertisement

i dont agree sweetman, byrne or conway are currently ahead of dave kearney.
    i was never a big fan of dave kearney but to say those 3 are ahead of him is jumping the gun especially byrne and sweetman.

all three got more meaningful gametime in this series.
    if yoy have a more reasonable metric that's not fantasy I would love to hear it.

I agree that there is a lot of players in thr Leinster set up and it will take a break of luck for him to get a sustained run in the side but it's possible. if it does he will be there to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Kearney had a good series but he is a certain age and he can't keep going forever. He also can't rely on the experienced hand to marshall the backline tag he held this time.

In addition a lot of back three players had a good series. Kearney (assuming he is not retired) will be in contention to make the plane for 2019 but I can't tell you if he will. I am willing to bet that he will start a warm up game prior to the competition.

In the backline yesterday 11-15 Kearney was the only player with more than 5 caps. He was the experienced veteran leading the outside backs and he did that excellently.

The "experienced hand" tag existed on boards.ie and nowhere else. He wasn't relying on it and it certainly was not the reason he was picked.

Like everyone else, he'll be picked until there's a better option. At the moment, there isn't one.

byrne played one game and the game passed him by.
    conway played well but against Argentina when he came on he was very poor
    sweetman also played 1 game against fiji.

dave kearney is a main stay of this irish team

The "experienced hand" tag existed on boards.ie and nowhere else. He wasn't relying on it and it certainly was not the reason he was picked.

Like everyone else, he'll be picked until there's a better option. At the moment, there isn't one.

Certainly was talked about on podcasts I listened to, like THY where you're listening to guys who've played in that setup.

Whether he is the better option or not (I say he is) Kearney (unless you called up Trimble and Bowe) had to be picked because of the inexperience in the backline.

Byrne was picked for a game against tier 1 opposition. Conway was the only back three player to feature in all three games. Sweetnam got the same start Dave got against Fiji and was on the bench for South Africa.

All get more game time against better quality opposition so I rank them as being ahead in my mind if not Joe's.

• Advertisement

to not bring 2 hookers, 6 back rows and 3 nines to a world cup is silly, these are specialist position that require maximum squad training time.

rightly or wrongly
    the irish squad is very settled and has a familiar look when all players available and fit. bar injuries we know the majority of those heading to japan.
    schmidt is basically selecting from 2 provinces so i dont understand why posters here and experts in general keep harping on about player depth.
    the idea there is so much to play for with a settled, experienced squad with a conservative coach is ridiculous.

Look at rwc2015

3 hookers. 5 backrows and 2 9s.

We could be travelling with a 3rd or 4th choice player in 1 or 2 positions. Thats the depth and 50-55 players i was on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

It will come down to who is playing for the first team selection for their provinces. If Conway isn't starting at 15 every week and for European games he doesn't have much chance of shifting the man in possession of the 15 green jersey R Kearney. Likewise Dave if Larmour Byrne are selected ahead of him it's going to be hard to make the plane. No one can really say who will be playing for their provinces in 2 years time so it's moot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not even a little bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭tooManyChoices

I wouldn't say the Irish back-3 has any nailed-on starters at the moment.
    Not such a bad thing for now.
    Bit harsh I think. He didn't set the world alight, but he didn't have a bad game either. He didn't look out-of-place at the level, and I think for a first cap that's all you can expct. He did well to keep it together playing 20 minutes out of position on his debut.

I wouldn't say the Irish back-3 has any nailed-on starters at the moment.
    Not such a bad thing for now.
    Bit harsh I think. He didn't set the world alight, but he didn't have a bad game either. He didn't look out-of-place at the level, and I think for a first cap that's all you can expct. He did well to keep it together playing 20 minutes out of position on his debut.

I would be pretty surprised if they were all fit that the 6Ns back 3 isn't Kearney, Earls and Stockdale with Conway on the bench.

The one unknown variable is Jared Payne. Will he come back? If he does will he be seen as a FB or a centre?

bilston wrote: »
    I would be pretty surprised if they were all fit that the 6Ns back 3 isn't Kearney, Earls and Stockdale with Conway on the bench.

How much would you bet on it though?

How much would you bet on it though?

Betting is a mugs game...

A fit Earls starts.

Stockdale has only 4 caps so I wouldn't bet my life on him being nailed on, but I might bet Connachta's or Count Dookoo's.

With Zebo not in the picture and Payne maybe not going to play again Kearney is the clear 15.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

It seems to me that Rory Scannell will have to be included in World Cup squad if they don't want to have to take three specialist outhalves. Schmidt doesn't seem to favour Carbery at 15, so him going as a fullback and being the third-choice, auxilliary outhalf seems unlikely at the moment. I suppose they could only take two 10s and not have anyone who could cover, but that would be a bit risky. Aki and Scannell as 12s, and Ringrose and Henshaw as 13s looks to me like the best thing to aim for

Betting is a mugs game...

A fit Earls starts.

Stockdale has only 4 caps so I wouldn't bet my life on him being nailed on, but I might bet Connachta's or Count Dookoo's.

With Zebo not in the picture and Payne maybe not going to play again Kearney is the clear 15.

I politely disagree. Mostly because there's so little in it and so much rugby to be played between now and then that good performances for the provinces could swing it.

I won't comment on Keith Earls here, I don't need that kind of drama in my life!

It seems to me that Rory Scannell will have to be included in World Cup squad if they don't want to have to take three specialist outhalves. Schmidt doesn't seem to favour Carbery at 15, so him going as a fullback and being the third-choice, auxilliary outhalf seems unlikely at the moment. I suppose they could only take two 10s and not have anyone who could cover, but that would be a bit risky. Aki and Scannell as 12s, and Ringrose and Henshaw as 13s looks to me like the best thing to aim for

I'm sure that Carberry at 15 may be looked at for Ireland as a cover option. JJHanrahan Ian Keatley and Tyler Blydenhal have all covered multiple positions for Munster.

For all we know Madigan may be back before the world cup too. While he is in contract passed the world cup, he is well paid at Bristol the Bristol owners may feel that he is too highly paid should they sign someone ahead of him or should they have to attempt to fit into the salary cap of the premiership,

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement