Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We called up 40 players last year. If we do likewise this year, I'd say it will be:

Best, Scannell, Cronin (assuming Tracy injured)
    Healy, McGrath, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Ryan, Porter
    Toner, Hendo, Dillane, Ryan, Treadwell
    POM, SOB, Stander, Leavy, VDF, Conan, Murphy
    Murray, Marmion, McGrath (possibly Cooney ahead of McGrath)
    Sexton, Carbery
    Henshaw, Aki, Farrell, McCloskey (possibly Scannell ahead of McCloskey)
    Earls, Kearney, Stockdale, Conway, Sweetnam, McFadden

That's 36 - a few more to come in depending on where the injury concerns are.

Darren Cave will never play for Ireland again. I'd say Joe would tog out himself before he'd pick Cave.

Niall Scannell (hooker) has a rib injury, will be out for 4 to 6 weeks, similar situation as Tracy.
    Who would you replace him with if both he and Tracy are out for at least the first match or two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

Does Strauss feature at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

jack01986 wrote: »
    Does Strauss feature at all?

He has been injured a lot recently, virtually rules him out IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭jack01986

He has been injured a lot recently, virtually rules him out IMO.

That is true, never really been the same since his heart op.

Best played quite well on the weekend I thought so himself and Cronin better stay fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭budhabob

We called up 40 players last year. If we do likewise this year, I'd say it will be:

Best, Scannell, Cronin (assuming Tracy injured)
    Healy, McGrath, Kilcoyne, Furlong, Ryan, Porter
    Toner, Hendo, Dillane, Ryan, Treadwell
    POM, SOB, Stander, Leavy, VDF, Conan, Murphy
    Murray, Marmion, McGrath (possibly Cooney ahead of McGrath)
    Sexton, Carbery
    Henshaw, Aki, Farrell, McCloskey (possibly Scannell ahead of McCloskey)
    Earls, Kearney, Stockdale, Conway, Sweetnam, McFadden

That's 36 - a few more to come in depending on where the injury concerns are.

Darren Cave will never play for Ireland again. I'd say Joe would tog out himself before he'd pick Cave.

I think Keatley will be in the squad, and I think Rory Scannell deserves to be in the squad - he also provides something different from other centre options.

Hooker is a bit of quandary with all the injuries.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Am I the only one that fails to understand why Cooney would be called up in front of McGrath apart from his goal-kicking?

As an all-round 9, McGrath is better and is having a better season in a much better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Faugheen wrote: »
    Am I the only one that fails to understand why Cooney would be called up in front of McGrath apart from his goal-kicking?

As an all-round 9, McGrath is better and is having a better season in a much better team.

Playing really well behind a beat up pack in a poor team is a positive not a negative.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

stephen_n wrote: »
    Playing really well behind a beat up pack in a poor team is a positive not a negative.

Granted, but absolutely warrants little discussion on being called up ahead of McGrath imo. He's been the standout SH this season (including Murray).

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I agree. Leave Cooney with Ulster please.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I agree. Leave Cooney with Ulster please.

I thought Ross Byrne was deserving of a call up in the Autumn but I was somewhat glad he was left with Leinster and I wondered if that was partially at the request of the province being down 2 out halves already.

Ulster would be in a similar situation with Cooney, you want to see your guys involved at the top level but at a certain point the loss of player(s) becomes seriously problematic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I thought Ross Byrne was deserving of a call up in the Autumn but I was somewhat glad he was left with Leinster and I wondered if that was partially at the request of the province being down 2 out halves already.

Ulster would be in a similar situation with Cooney, you want to see your guys involved at the top level but at a certain point the loss of player(s) becomes seriously problematic.

It really can be very useful to have a good NIQ at a pivotal position like scrum half :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

For my money-Larmour should not only be in the Irish squad but also starting for Ireland. The guy is an unreal talent. If he was an All Black he'd be straight in.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    For my money-Larmour should not only be in the Irish squad but also starting for Ireland. The guy is an unreal talent. If he was an All Black he'd be straight in.

Tbh that’s BS, the all blacks wouldn’t be dropping a senior player who was playing really well, to make way for a younger and very much untested talent. That’s just fantasy stuff.

Larmour has not been tested yet. Has only played like 15 minutes of European rugby. Most of his appearances for Leinster have been against bottom half pro14 sides. He played against a really poor Munster team and an even worse Ulster team.

I don't see whose place he'll take. I don't think he's ready yet. I don't deny he is a great talent, but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Larmour has not been tested yet. Has only played like 15 minutes of European rugby. Most of his appearances for Leinster have been against bottom half pro14 sides. He played against a really poor Munster team and an even worse Ulster team.

I don't see whose place he'll take. I don't think he's ready yet. I don't deny he is a great talent, but I think you're getting a bit ahead of yourself at this point.
    He may be tested properly in the next couple of weeks. After that, we'll see. Joe's not exactly stuck for back three players with experience, but that could change before the 6N.

• Advertisement

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He may be tested properly in the next couple of weeks. After that, we'll see. Joe's not exactly stuck for back three players with experience, but that could change before the 6N.

Is Rob Kearney fit?

Is Rob Kearney fit?
    Yes. Or at least there's been no mention of him in the injury lists since his last match.

Edit: looks fine.

INPHO_01309562.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

budhabob wrote: »
    I think Keatley will be in the squad

Agree. Surely he has to be in a 40 man squad - without real multi-position so players in the squad, Joe will have to go with 3 standoffs. I could see Keatley benching if Carbs doesnt get good game time in the next couple of weeks and show he is in top form. Jourdain L'Amour will also make the greater squad - whether he gets beyond that I guess is the biggest unknown at this juncture.

looks fine.

If you do say so yourself...

Yes. Or at least there's been no mention of him in the injury lists since his last match.

Edit: looks fine.

INPHO_01309562.jpg

I'd expect Leinster to go with him for Europe. I guess Larmour at 23.

Ultimately he needs more minutes in bigger games before he'll get a green jersey. He's only 20 so he has loads of time. The AIs would still be really good progress for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Carbery is back in training as well. He's had no gametime since November but I'm sure he'll be involved in the 6N.

Is Rob Kearney fit?

Cullen has been making noises about starting him. We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He probably wouldn't have made the Ireland team but that's a right balls for Leinster. I really hope they keep Henshaw at 12 and replace him with ROL. Was going to say Larmour but yeah, bit much to start even him at 13 in a Euro game.
    With the depth that's been developed over the last couple of years, I was expecting to see a bit of rotation this 6N. I may be wrong, but having developed depth, you have to maintain it, otherwise it gets stale. On that basis I would have thought Ringrose had a very good chance of making a match-day squad.

Joe will pick his strongest team for every match...rightly so IMO.

He can rotate until his heart is content in Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Faugheen wrote: »

I disagree. Think Cooney has been the outstanding scrum half this season, especially behind that pack. His decision making and reaction timing has been brilliant, plus he’s a real physical threat. I always thought when he was coming through at Leinster he’ll end being the better all round player vs the messiah ... he’s not there yet, but he’s on an upward curve.

No I don’t think he needs to be called out, but apart from Murray he’s been the stand out Irish 9 for me.

bilston wrote: »

He can rotate until his heart is content in Australia.
    Everybody seems to misunderstand what I mean by rotation.

Would you consider swapping Healy with McGrath rotation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Anyway .. just so I can look back and laugh at how wrong I am, and before Europe takes its toll, my 23 for the France game...

15. Kearney
    14. Earls
    13. Aki
    12. Henshaw
    11. Stockdale
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Stander
    07. SOB
    06. POM
    05. Hendo
    04. Toner
    03. Furlong
    02. Best
    01. Healy

16. Cronin, 17. McGrath, 18. Ryan, 19. Dillane, 20. JVDF, 21. Marmion, 22. Keatley, 23. Conway

Tbh that’s BS, the all blacks wouldn’t be dropping a senior player who was playing really well, to make way for a younger and very much untested talent. That’s just fantasy stuff.

Well they kinda did with Jordie Barrett in the Lions series. But then he had a season of Super Rugby under his belt.

I reckon we will definitely see Larmour in Australia. Who knows what will happen in the 6Ns but I'd be a little surprised if he was selected.

Everybody seems to misunderstand what I mean by rotation.

Would you consider swapping Healy with McGrath rotation?

Not me personally but it would depend on the circumstances.

If it was a world cup pool game and in one game you started Healy and in another McGrath I'd be saying that's rotation.

However in general terms I'd consider rotation to be bringing in someone who is 3rd or 4th choice in a position and starting them ahead of those in front even when all are fit.

Healy and McGrath are both established so rotating them isn't really about getting them game time, it's a horses for courses or form thing.

It really comes down to the circumstances, but I took your original post to mean that Joe would weaken the team to build game time for lads who will be closer to first choice by the RWC.

Well they kinda did with Jordie Barrett in the Lions series. But then he had a season of Super Rugby under his belt.

I reckon we will definitely see Larmour in Australia. Who knows what will happen in the 6Ns but I'd be a little surprised if he was selected.

.ak wrote: »
    Anyway .. just so I can look back and laugh at how wrong I am, and before Europe takes its toll, my 23 for the France game...

15. Kearney
    14. Earls
    13. Aki
    12. Henshaw
    11. Stockdale
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Stander
    07. SOB
    06. POM
    05. Hendo
    04. Toner
    03. Furlong
    02. Best
    01. Healy

16. Cronin, 17. McGrath, 18. Ryan, 19. Dillane, 20. JVDF, 21. Marmion, 22. Keatley, 23. Conway

Yeah, you've made a lot of risky selections there alright. :pac:

• Advertisement

Which is?

Which is?

See .ak's post above...

Not me personally but it would depend on the circumstances.

If it was a world cup pool game and in one game you started Healy and in another McGrath I'd be saying that's rotation.

However in general terms I'd consider rotation to be bringing in someone who is 3rd or 4th choice in a position and starting them ahead of those in front even when all are fit.

Healy and McGrath are both established so rotating them isn't really about getting them game time, it's a horses for courses or form thing.

It really comes down to the circumstances, but I took your original post to mean that Joe would weaken the team to build game time for lads who will be closer to first choice by the RWC.
    No. That's not what I meant.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Say that to Julian Savea and Reiko Ioane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There are more examples of guys like Larmour who weren't picked immediately. Barrett, McKenzie etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

There are more examples of guys like Larmour who weren't picked immediately. Barrett, McKenzie etc.

The initial post said though that the AB's don't promote exciting youth over experience, which as the poster you quoted said, is false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    The initial post said though that the AB's don't promote exciting youth over experience, which as the poster you quoted said, is false.

No, wrong. The initial post said that if Larmour was an All Black he would be straight in. Whereas the ABs have been using that apprenticeship system for a number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Nope said he’d be straight in as a starter for the All Blacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

It's worth noting that Larmour has already been involved in some of Schmidt's training camps. Was mentioned on yesterdays Second Captains. Joe's been well aware of him for quite a well. He'll have some involvement for Ireland this 6N even if it's just part of the extended squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Who do we play this November?

Usually announced after 6 nations isn’t it? Unless we do another trip to Chicago which I am on for again :-)

I would say we will have New Zealand as England are scared sh*tless of playing them, they will want a Northern Hemp team to play in run up to WC.....

Larmour will get his chance in summer in Australia tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

No, wrong. The initial post said that if Larmour was an All Black he would be straight in. Whereas the ABs have been using that apprenticeship system for a number of years.
    its_phil wrote: »
    Nope said he’d be straight in as a starter for the All Blacks

Didn't catch that last bit, apologies

Clegg wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Larmour has already been involved in some of Schmidt's training camps. Was mentioned on yesterdays Second Captains. Joe's been well aware of him for quite a well. He'll have some involvement for Ireland this 6N even if it's just part of the extended squad.
    It was mentioned at the Leinster presser today as well, by Sexton and Lancaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Clegg wrote: »
    In what capacity though? Dont academy players get chosen to be in irish camps to fill numbers and as Ireland are mainly training in or near Dublin it just happens to be Leinster academy players who are involved in training camps.

In what capacity though? Dont academy players get chosen to be in irish camps to fill numbers and as Ireland are mainly training in or near Dublin it just happens to be Leinster academy players who are involved in training camps.

I’d imagine it’s when they trained against the u20s last season

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Usually announced after 6 nations isn’t it? Unless we do another trip to Chicago which I am on for again :-)

I would say we will have New Zealand as England are scared sh*tless of playing them, they will want a Northern Hemp team to play in run up to WC.....

Larmour will get his chance in summer in Australia tour

England have been dying to play the All Blacks but they were unwilling to pay the fee NZRU wanted. Apparently it’s on for next year.

England aren’t afraid of anybody and shouldn’t be

• Advertisement

They're afraid of not overly complicated breakdown laws.

15. Kearney
    14. Earls (Conway)
    13. Aki (Ringrose)
    12. Henshaw
    11. Stockdale
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Stander
    07. SOB
    06. POM (Leavy)
    05. Hendo
    04. Toner (Ryan)
    03. Furlong
    02. Best
    01. Healy

See .ak's post above...
    I’ve marked out the ones I think Joe could bring in that would make no difference to our strongest team. I left out VDF for SOB, though he could easily be included.

Genuine question as I don’t know the answer. Did they replace in form incumbents during the rugby champi

But that’s a big difference.

15. Kearney
    14. Earls (Conway)
    13. Aki (Ringrose)
    12. Henshaw
    11. Stockdale
    10. Sexton
    09. Murray
    08. Stander
    07. SOB
    06. POM (Leavy)
    05. Hendo
    04. Toner (Ryan)
    03. Furlong
    02. Best
    01. Healy

See .ak's post above...
    I’ve marked out the ones I think Joe could bring in that would make no difference to our strongest team. I left out VDF for SOB, though he could easily be included.

Genuine question as I don’t know the answer. Did they replace in form incumbents during the rugby championship, with less than 15 minutes of super rugby played and a handful of Mitre 10 games? Because after all this is what we are talking about here.

They're afraid of not overly complicated breakdown laws.

Terrified

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

England have been dying to play the All Blacks but they were unwilling to pay the fee NZRU wanted. Apparently it’s on for next year.

Ever since Eddie Jones took over they have run a mile from NZ........a fee has got nothing to do with it....

Eddie is afraid NZ will hammer them and set back the England preparation for the WC......

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement