Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Scannell always ahead of Cronin, expect that to continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Henderson, Ryan, Furlong all due to return to full training Tuesday and be fit for Wales. Henderson's mystery injury was a tight hamstring & quad.

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-injury-update-pre-wales-3853631-Feb2018/?utm_source=shortlink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

There usually is a second squad announcement after the first two games. Normally it's for the last three games in the 6N, so that should be issued by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Bazzo wrote: »
    For Ireland? Is he even in camp in Athlone?

it was mooted that he would make a return to International rugby

Don't shoot the messenger!!

foxyladyxx wrote: »
    it was mooted that he would make a return to International rugby

Don't shoot the messenger!!

I'm not saying you're wrong, just surprised :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Henderson, Ryan, Furlong all due to return to full training Tuesday and be fit for Wales. Henderson's mystery injury was a tight hamstring & quad.

http://www.the42.ie/ireland-injury-update-pre-wales-3853631-Feb2018/?utm_source=shortlink
    Honestly, I've never seen a player do more physical work in one game than Henderson v France, he should take a month off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Bowe getting some game-time this weekend. Get him in at 13... no?.. bueller..?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Ringrose is expected to make his comeback against Kings next weekend. I can’t see him coming into the mix for the 6Ns at this stage unless he hits the ground running and then some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

molloyjh wrote: »
    Ringrose is expected to make his comeback against Kings next weekend. I can’t see him coming into the mix for the 6Ns at this stage unless he hits the ground running and then some.
    Joe seemed to suggest that Ringrose could come into the squad next week as well as playing against the Kings.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Joe seemed to suggest that Ringrose could come into the squad next week as well as playing against the Kings.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in camp. But I think coming into a match day squad might be a bit of a stretch at this stage. He needed time after his last injury to build up a bit of form and there just isn't the scope for that in the 6Ns right now.

If he comes back all guns blazing though then he'll def be in with a shot, and hopefully he does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Only makes sense to bring Ringrose into camp so that he can be ready to be resacrificed to the gods of international rugby again this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Possibly a call up for John Cooney now with Luke McGrath an injury worry. Or will they risk just running with two 9s? It would seem sensible to bring him into camp at this stage in case there's another injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Delighted for Cooney, I’d say he was only not in because between the 3 possible subs he was the one that had least exposure to the Irish setup. I’d rate him with Mc grath and marmion nothing much between all 3.

There was some interesting comments on Keith Earls on the OTB paper review yesterday. I think it's fair to say he's playing the best rugby of his life but there were some details like he used to be massively superstitious and had certain things he HAD TO do before a match or he'd basically panic, which he's now dropped. There was another comment attributed I think to Derval O'Rourke (she wasn't actually on the show) that when he was chasing back the Italian at the very end of the game the other week his technique was much more of a sprinter than of a rugby player just trying to run really fast. Just a few little things that point to him being much more relaxed and confident in his game these days.

There was some interesting comments on Keith Earls on the OTB paper review yesterday. I think it's fair to say he's playing the best rugby of his life but there were some details like he used to be massively superstitious and had certain things he HAD TO do before a match or he'd basically panic, which he's now dropped. There was another comment attributed I think to Derval O'Rourke (she wasn't actually on the show) that when he was chasing back the Italian at the very end of the game the other week his technique was much more of a sprinter than of a rugby player just trying to run really fast. Just a few little things that point to him being much more relaxed and confident in his game these days.

I mentioned something similar in the match thread. He was so much more efficient and relaxed and it allowed him to continue to pick up speed into the tackle. Impressive for so late in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There was some interesting comments on Keith Earls on the OTB paper review yesterday. I think it's fair to say he's playing the best rugby of his life but there were some details like he used to be massively superstitious and had certain things he HAD TO do before a match or he'd basically panic, which he's now dropped.

Ken Owens talked recently about going to a sports psychologist to get over his superstitions because they were holding him back. The more complex your pregame routine is, the more chance of something going wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,392 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The Observer
    Big six who have stamped their authority on the Six Nations so far

Conan played well but he's only taken part in 40 minutes of action and that was against a poor Italian side. He's hardly "stamped his authority" on the tournament. He has, however, turned himself into a viable alternative to Stander.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Scythica wrote: »

I really hope he gets picked for the Barbarians at some point.

A1A8v3oXfwL._SL1500_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah surely if you pick an Irish player it’s gotta be Sexton

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Scythica wrote: »

'one of the tackles of any age'....Am i the only one who thinks Sam Underhill just jumped on the ground and slid into Williams. I could have made it Williams gave himself up that early.:rolleyes:

corny wrote: »
    'one of the tackles of any age'....Am i the only one who thinks Sam Underhill just jumped on the ground and slid into Williams. I could have made it Williams gave himself up that early.:rolleyes:

Williams did really poorly, agree with you entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭durthacht

.ak wrote: »
    Yeah surely if you pick an Irish player it’s gotta be Sexton

Nah "Sexton the barbarian" sounds daft.

:D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah, when i saw it initially i was very surprised how early williams went low. Hes a big guy and should have backed his mass in an impact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Scythica

Listened to the BBC 5 live rugby podcast.

Interestingly Monye was saying that in any club ground Williams would have scored that try. However twicks is notoriously hard and it took all his momentum away which allowed the tackle to be made.

He talked about the little things that home advantage brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I looked at it initially and thought Williams made a complete balls of it.

Then I saw all the plaudits Underhill got for the tackle and thought perhaps I was wrong.

But looking back at it he was in if he stayed up. He really should have stayed up. Look at Dalys finish against Montpellier. Stepped in, rode the contact and dotted down in the corner.

Ok Twickenham is sticky apparently and on most wet grounds you can expect to slide, but I think Williams ballsed it up badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

James Lowe would have scored it

James Lowe would have scored it

Twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I looked at it initially and thought Williams made a complete balls of it.

Then I saw all the plaudits Underhill got for the tackle and thought perhaps I was wrong.

But looking back at it he was in if he stayed up. He really should have stayed up. Look at Dalys finish against Montpellier. Stepped in, rode the contact and dotted down in the corner.

Ok Twickenham is sticky apparently and on most wet grounds you can expect to slide, but I think Williams ballsed it up badly.

Maybe but Underhill is a very hard hitting tackler. Perhaps that factored into the decision to slide early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Great to see Ringrose back. Every team needs a guy with the common touch - a Trev, a Doug, a Bob...or a Garry. It's like one minute you were having pints at the local, and the next minute it's "Doug, Trev is that not Garry at outside centre for Ireland"?

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Great to see Ringrose back. Every team needs a guy with the common touch - a Trev, a Doug, a Bob...or a Garry. It's like one minute you were having pints at the local, and the next minute it's "Doug, Trev is that not Garry at outside centre for Ireland"?

I can't believe you didn't use "Ben" for this example.

I can't believe you didn't use "Ben" for this example.

Nah in NZ Ben has more of a young vibe about it. Garry would definitely be associated with farming types of a certain age back home.

I suppose we could make him Aussie then it becomes Gazza.

Nah in NZ Ben has more of a young vibe about it. Garry would definitely be associated with farming types of a certain age back home.

I suppose we could make him Aussie then it becomes Gazza.

I was specifically referring to Ben "from accounts" Smith

Going back to the game I think the most impressive thing about Lowe is his speed coming in off the wing to congratulate the forwards on a good scrum, no distance is too much to stop him slapping fat guys on the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

salmocab wrote: »
    Going back to the game I think the most impressive thing about Lowe is his speed coming in off the wing to congratulate the forwards on a good scrum, no distance is too much to stop him slapping fat guys on the back.

Lol, he's mad for that alright. At one point he was physically dragging Noel Reid across the pitch to help him smack a few arses.

Lol, he's mad for that alright. At one point he was physically dragging Noel Reid across the pitch to help him smack a few arses.

If he never played for us again he would always be one of my favourite players his enthusiasm is hilarious. Id say hes a nightmare to live with, inviting in the guy that delivered the chinese for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I wonder how many names he knew

Is this just a play on his name or how he looks, cause I don't quite get.

He went to a pretty exclusive private school, and is currently among top of his year in Business and Law UCD.

The guy is an academic and sporting outlier from a comparatively wealthy family!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,620 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Probably a key work on from the head shed. Joe won't have missed that...

• Advertisement

Probably a key work on from the head shed. Joe won't have missed that...

Just realized I posted that on the Irish thread instead of the Leinster one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

errlloyd wrote: »

I think its a comment on how he doesnt have one of these modern trendy names like Ultan, Jordi or Josh. Tiernan even.

But regular bloke Garry. The type that would fit in with all the Brents, Craigs, Grants, and Bruces in NZ.
    Gary Whetton for example. Now there was a player.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just realized I posted that on the Irish thread instead of the Leinster one

Meh, pretty much the same thing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I think its a comment on how he doesnt have one of these modern trendy names like Ultan, Jordi or Josh. Tiernan even.

But regular bloke Garry. The type that would fit in with all the Brents, Craigs, Grants, and Bruces in NZ.
    Gary Whetton for example. Now there was a player.

But it's Gary with two Rs. Garry. How dare you compare him to a measly Gary.

errlloyd wrote: »

He went to a pretty exclusive private school, and is currently among top of his year in Business and Law UCD.

The guy is an academic and sporting outlier from a comparatively wealthy family!

Ringrose is one of my favourite Leinster and Irish players! Basically a younger version of Conrad Smith, which is as about as high a compliment as I can pay.

You don't get it because it was a hopeless attempt at some humour, for which I have let down myself, my family and my community. I am contemplating Harakiri, such is my shame.

Seriously, he's a great rugby player, and no slight was intended!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

How dare you compare him to a measly Gary.

*wipes tear from eye*

No I'm fine....honestly I'm fine.

*sniffs*

Seriously, he's a great rugby player, and no slight was intended!

Haha, I actually never thought you were doubting his playing skill Swiwi. I get the joke now.

The perfect person for the role you want is Barry Daly.
    1. Barry Daly actually worked in accounts.
    2. Barry Daly has a super ordinary name
    3. Barry Daly still kind of looks like he works in accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Looks like Wales will have Halpenny, North, Liam Williams, Biggar and Faletau back for the weekend. That's some serious ammo to bring back into the side.

Looks like Wales will have Halpenny, North, Liam Williams, Biggar and Faletau back for the weekend. That's some serious ammo to bring back into the side.

I'm very nervous about this one. They are getting guys back, have their backs to the wall as a loss here effectively ends their chances, have a "grave injustice" to inspire them in that non-try vs England, plus they don't fear us at all. It's tailor made for them (and Gatland) in a lot of ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Wonder how they will go with the new game plan. Will Biggar’s style of play suit the more expansive gameplan? Though I’d far prefer if Patchell was starting, as he can definitely be got at. As good as Faletau is, Moriarty is more suited to the gameplan they are trying to play and I’d start him over a semi fit Faletau.

I hate Liam Williams though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement