Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Very happy with the Wales team selection ...... plenty of reasons to be optimistic for this one.

Been a funny few weeks ...... three weeks ago it was all about getting past France .... three home games ..... and a Paddies Day gig in London.

What's changed? ..... Reading the media and the comments on this very thread .... the normally bullish home predictions have been tempered somewhat. [We are still missing arguably our three best players].

As for Biggar .... kicking or running ..... I don't see much changing when we have the ball. Bigger is well capable of running the backline .... whether on the gain line or standing a bit deeper [when necessary].

Yes, very worried about this game... they love beaiting the irish as much as beating the english.. The Pro14 teams are developing nice rivalries with our teams.
    With this fixture, form and home advantage usually go out the window.

OUr front 5 and 9,10, look stronger. hopefully that will be enough.
    If CJ can get some go forward momentum without being chopped down by the Welsh quickly, we could be as good as the bookies think we will be. I certainly don´t think Wales are already at -10.

We could do with VDFlier for this game, and obviously SOB.
    Trust me .... beating England comes a long way in front of beating Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Trust me .... beating England comes a long way in front of beating Ireland.
    Funny you should say that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hearing whispers that Porter is a likely starter on Saturday.

Aki/Farrell midfield

PoM, Leavy, Stander backrow

Healy at loosehead

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Very happy with the Wales team selection ...... plenty of reasons to be optimistic for this one.

Been a funny few weeks ...... three weeks ago it was all about getting past France .... three home games ..... and a Paddies Day gig in London.

What's changed? ..... Reading the media and the comments on this very thread .... the normally bullish home predictions have been tempered somewhat. [We are still missing arguably our three best players].

As for Biggar .... kicking or running ..... I don't see much changing when we have the ball. Bigger is well capable of running the backline .... whether on the gain line or standing a bit deeper [when necessary].

Personally, from an Irish fan perspective, I'm much more comfortable being in the molloyjh camp; this is a 55/45 game imo.

"What's changed" is Wales have shown up this championship despite their injuries. Gatland has yet again shown that his coaching hasn't gone at all stale.
    In the meantime we've gone from thinking at the start of the 6ns that we were running with minimal injuries, to the reality of this week which is that we're very thin on centres, and moderately thin on the back row.

Both of these facts have brought Wales and Ireland much closer to parity.
    Not rocket science!

But the bookies setting us 10 points ahead is daft imo.

kuang1 wrote: »
    Personally, from an Irish fan perspective, I'm much more comfortable being in the molloyjh camp; this is a 55/45 game imo.

"What's changed" is Wales have shown up this championship despite their injuries. Gatland has yet again shown that his coaching hasn't gone at all stale.
    In the meantime we've gone from thinking at the start of the 6ns that we were running with minimal injuries, to the reality of this week which is that we're very thin on centres, and moderately thin on the back row.

Both of these facts have brought Wales and Ireland much closer to parity.
    Not rocket science!

But the bookies setting us 10 points ahead is daft imo.
    We were always going to "show up" injuries or no injuries ..... The front five was unaffected and we've good depth in the back row. The Scarlets backs added some cohesion behind.

TBH I was very confident we'd beat Scotland & fancied our chances against England as well. Ditto for this weekend. If the weather is good and we are close on the scoreboard on the hour mark I'd back us to win it in the last twenty. Gonna be tough though!

Can Ireland show up minus Furlong*, Henderson*, O'Brien, Henshaw & Ringrose? Answer is Yes for the same reasons.

No excuses now guys & girls ....

Brian O'Driscoll might finally figure out who Cory Hill is. Find of the season for us. [Navidi honourable mention too].

IMO Gatland has got the selection just about right .... the bench looks decent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

If the weather is good and we are close on the scoreboard on the hour mark I'd back us to win it in the last twenty.

The weather is due to be good/dry I think.
    I'm not sure if wet/dry would have too much of a net difference on the result of this game tbh.
    Maybe wet might suit us better purely because we did that in Paris already, but otherwise I don't think it favours either team.

I'm gonna console myself with the knowledge that you bigged up Wales in a similarly subtle fashion before Twickenham...tis you that curses their fortunes!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Very hard to see Furlong back after straining a hamstring. Better to give him another week rather than doing more damage.

With Henshaw out I presume Farrell will slot in at 13. I wouldn't fancy Ringrose as a defender.

Huge game with or without those guys. Wales have generally played very well in Ireland and I'd fear their backs' ability to create especially if the tempo of the game picks up. You can be sure Davies will be taking plenty of tap penalties.
    We are vulnerable when the game is played at pace.

Both match fit I think ringrose is a superior defender, I think sometimes there is a subconcious bias to always think the athletic specimen is a better defender but at international level I think its less important and ringrose has better awareness and balance to defend. Last thing I want to see is another wide pass with an 19st 6ft 4" player trying to make up outside space against Liam Williams.

I'm nervous as f***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Think this will be mighty close. Aside from the satisfaction of an away victory against their Celtic neighbours, Wales win this and they have home games against Italy and France and a real shot at the title, provided England lose a game. We could even have the situation where England require the bonus for a grand slam to overtake Wales on the table.

Ireland are bloody hard to beat at home these days though, reckon it will be a narrow home victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

He couldn't compete with irfu pr though, seems an unlikely scoop. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Trying to get back in the good books. misinformation!
    Btw Furlong doesn’t have hamstrings.
    He has graphenes
    Not pure Wexford beef.Scoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Furlong would be a huge loss, the Welsh tight 5 are probably the best in the 6N. Hopefully this is ROC spreading propaganda for the IRFU to get back in the good books:pac:

I’m glad we are playing Wales now, rather than first up. Hopefully Joe has seen enough to do a proper analysis of their defence. Biggar’s inclusion strengthens Wales no end as Patchell was definitely vulnerable. If Henderson is missing too, we are going to be very short on ball carriers. Which would definitely support the argument of moving CJ to 6 and including Conan. Always nervous playing against Wales but this is getting more tense by the day, going to need a Valium before this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

stephen_n wrote: »
    Furlong would be a huge loss, the Welsh tight 5 are probably the best in the 6N. Hopefully this is ROC spreading propaganda for the IRFU to get back in the good books:pac:

I’m glad we are playing Wales now, rather than first up. Hopefully Joe has seen enough to do a proper analysis of their defence. Biggar’s inclusion strengthens Wales no end as Patchell was definitely vulnerable. If Henderson is missing too, we are going to be very short on ball carriers. Which would definitely support the argument of moving CJ to 6 and including Conan. Always nervous playing against Wales but this is getting more tense by the day, going to need a Valium before this game.

I would suggest that outside of AWJ the Welsh tight 5 is one of the weakest.

Certainly I don't believe any of their prop options would start for ourselves, England or France.

Cory Hill wouldn't make any team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

stephen_n wrote: »

Hard to agree that the Welsh front 5 are the best in the six nations, I would have had them below Ireland, England and France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Interesting times for Robin McBryde and Rob Evans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

They have two lions in the second row though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Certainly I don't believe any of their prop options would start for ourselves, England or France.

They have the best passing loose head and hooker in the championship.
    Streets ahead of Ireland in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The Welsh front five is very underrated as a unit. Ken Owens and AWJ are test Lions and guys like Hill, Lee and Evans are all experienced players who have significant international experience with some good impact from the bench.

They may not be world beaters as individuals but they're a very strong unit. What's more is the age profile is very good. AWJ is the eldest at 32. They'll comfortably be at their peak powers in terms of age come the RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

We were always going to "show up" injuries or no injuries ..... The front five was unaffected and we've good depth in the back row. The Scarlets backs added some cohesion behind.

TBH I was very confident we'd beat Scotland & fancied our chances against England as well. Ditto for this weekend. If the weather is good and we are close on the scoreboard on the hour mark I'd back us to win it in the last twenty. Gonna be tough though!

Can Ireland show up minus Furlong*, Henderson*, O'Brien, Henshaw & Ringrose? Answer is Yes for the same reasons.

No excuses now guys & girls ....

Brian O'Driscoll might finally figure out who Cory Hill is. Find of the season for us. [Navidi honourable mention too].

IMO Gatland has got the selection just about right .... the bench looks decent too.

Why isn't Tipuric starting at 7 for Wales? Is he not performing for his club? Or is Navidi having a better season? Or is it that Tipuric is seen as a "finisher"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Losing Furlong is massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Losing Furlong is massive.

Yep. As good as Porter looks, and as good as he might become, he has started five professional games at tight-head. Five.

I'm having flashbacks to Furlong's first 6N season two years ago. That did not go well.

Losing Furlong and potentially Henderson makes me think we're going to go with very few changes if any at all.

I'd love to have seen Ringrose and Conan brought in for this game to give us more attacking options but I can see us sticking with the known and trusted.

Big day for Porter if he is starting.

Bench lock is also going to be an issue if Henderson is out. I'm not sure if Dillane is back in the fold given the awful loss he suffered two weeks ago. Roux isn't playing great stuff at the moment and Beirne appears to have been in camp. I wonder could the circumstances have produced an opportunity for Beirne to get in, if only so we still have a Tadgh in the 23!

Losing Furlong and potentially Henderson makes me think we're going to go with very few changes if any at all.

I'd love to have seen Ringrose and Conan brought in for this game to give us more attacking options but I can see us sticking with the known and trusted.

Bench lock is also going to be an issue if Henderson is out. I'm not sure if Dillane is back in the fold given the awful loss he suffered two weeks ago. Roux isn't playing great stuff at the moment and Beirne appears to have been in camp. I wonder could the circumstances have produced an opportunity for Beirne to get in, if only so we still have a Tadgh in the 23!

Besides some astoundingly stupid disciplinary lapses Roux has been playing well. He'll never be a regular international but I doubt he'd let the side down.

Wait? Beirne? Tadhg Beirne? Who plays outside Ireland? In camp???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

I think it was part of the deal for him to go on the Ray D'Arcy show, poor fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Beirne was in camp earlier in the year. But not in the Six Nations window, IIRC.

If Beirne is in camp he should be starting on Saturday end of story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Beirne is not in camp. Dillane is back though.

• Advertisement

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Beirne was in camp earlier in the year. But not in the Six Nations window, IIRC.

He was in camp during the 6 Nations but I don't believe he is now. It was just a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Well they fairly made **** of the English front row, you’d be starting ahead of them. We’ll see how they hold up against France and us, but we certainly won’t be destroying them in the scrum on Saturday.

I've no idea how much time Beirne was in camp for but he was definitely over during one of the windows. Larmour was in camp before as were plenty of other lads on the periphery but on the radar. We only hear about it after the fact or if someone get's a snap of them.

Some times it's to carry tackle bags, sometimes it's to lay a bit of groundwork.

I'd be extremely surprised if Beirne was in the 23, I'm just pointing out that injuries and form have made his potential inclusion more plausible.
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Besides some astoundingly stupid disciplinary lapses Roux has been playing well. He'll never be a regular international but I doubt he'd let the side down.

You've no doubt watched him more than I have. What I have seen I would consider solid but that's about it. I don't doubt if picked he'll work his socks off but if Beirne had a bit more time in camp I'd pick him in a heartbeat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Beirne is not in camp.

You've no doubt watched him more than I have. What I have seen I would consider solid but that's about it. I don't doubt if picked he'll work his socks off but if Beirne had a bit more time in camp I'd pick him in a heartbeat.

I'm not saying he's a world beater, I was just responding to:
    Roux isn't playing great stuff at the moment

His form has been good apart from some brain-dead yellow cards/penalties, otherwise I doubt Schmidt would have selected him. Beirne is undoubtedly the better player but Beirne won't be selected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I've no idea how much time Beirne was in camp for but he was definitely over during one of the windows. Larmour was in camp before as were plenty of other lads on the periphery but on the radar. We only hear about it after the fact or if someone get's a snap of them.

Some times it's to carry tackle bags, sometimes it's to lay a bit of groundwork.

I'd be extremely surprised if Beirne was in the 23, I'm just pointing out that injuries and form have made his potential inclusion more plausible.

He said on scrum v on sunday he had come over for a day or two

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Why isn't Tipuric starting at 7 for Wales? Is he not performing for his club? Or is Navidi having a better season? Or is it that Tipuric is seen as a "finisher"?

This is the best example of 'being in possession of the jersey' i have ever seen. In no logical world would you pick Navidi over Tipuric, but he has played well in the red jersey and he cant be dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Healy
    Best
    Porter
    Ryan
    Toner
    POM
    Leavy
    Stander

Murray
    Sexton
    Stockdale
    Aki
    Farrell
    Earls
    Kearney

Cronin
    McGrath
    Ryan
    Dillane
    Conan
    Marmion
    Carbery
    McFadden

Would be my guess based on what I've heard...starting to feel a bit nervy..

Wouldn't be shocked to see Nordi Murphy involved. Covers more from the bench than Conan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'm not sure if Dillane is back in the fold given the awful loss he suffered two weeks ago.

According to the Craggy rugby pod today Dillane will be available to Connacht for the Treviso game this weekend but not expected to be available for the Cheetahs game the week after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Bazzo wrote: »
    Wouldn't be shocked to see Nordi Murphy involved. Covers more from the bench than Conan.
    Word on the street is that it's Conan.

I'm extremely nervous and worried that we won't be able to secure a try bonus point in the first 20 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

This is the best example of 'being in possession of the jersey' i have ever seen. In no logical world would you pick Navidi over Tipuric, but he has played well in the red jersey and he cant be dropped.

Navidi deserves the jersey ahead of Tipuric based on this season and their respective performances regardless of him simply being in possession of the starting spot coming into the tournament. Navidi has played 80 minutes in both games so far and tackled himself to a standstill.

2 years ago I'd never have thought he had the required quality for top tier tests but he has taken to it like a duck to water. Himself and Tipuric are similar enough shapes but he seems a fair bit more powerful at ruck time and much harder to dislodge from slowing down ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

If Ireland can't beat Wales at home, then Ireland can't be considered legitimate contenders for the world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Its a strange one... any team bar NZ, I would be confident of beating at home... but Wales over the last few years have our number...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sxt wrote: »
    If Ireland can't beat Wales at home, then Ireland can't be considered legitimate contenders for the world cup

Keep dropping out guard like we did against Italy and we wouldn't be contenders for my Uncle's summer BBQ knock about.

But seriously, what you're saying doesn't follow. Every squad suffers attrition and a big part of success is continuity and injury profile. That is high among the factors that mean we will beat Wales this weekend I believe.

Oh and, for the record, France lost 2 games in the 2011 6 Nations and yet made the World Cup final that same year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Oh and, for the record, France lost 2 games in the 2011 6 Nations and yet made the World Cup final that same year.

France lost two pool games in the 2011 world cup and still made the 2011 world cup final.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

Wales is a bit of a strange one. When we play NZ we're able to open it up and score some early tries. Wales we just can't seem to open them up for some reason. Their defence agaisnt us has been rock solid. Maybe with the personnel change in in both teams, might make enough of a difference to allow us to break them down.

I can't remember but weren't we rather unlucky agaisnt them last time we played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Wales is a bit of a strange one. When we play NZ we're able to open it up and score some early tries. Wales we just can't seem to open them up for some reason. Their defence agaisnt us has been rock solid. Maybe with the personnel change in in both teams, might make enough of a difference to allow us to break them down.

I can't remember but weren't we rather unlucky agaisnt them last time we played?

I think we just need to admit that Wales are a bloody good team, with a very good defence. I'd actually argue their defence is better than NZ's. NZ simply rarely need to worry about conceding a couple of tries, given they almost invariably score 5 or 6. Concede a couple of tries in the 6N, and you probably lose the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I think we just need to admit that Wales are a bloody good team, with a very good defence. I'd actually argue their defence is better than NZ's. NZ simply rarely need to worry about conceding a couple of tries, given they almost invariably score 5 or 6. Concede a couple of tries in the 6N, and you probably lose the match.

Thats a good point. Besides hammering SA and. Samoa last year and keeping them at 0, looks like in most other matches they conceded at least 1 try. Maybe that comes with being more an attack minded team, possibility of turnovers, steals etc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement