Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Quint2010 wrote: »
    If Beirne is in camp he should be starting on Saturday end of story.

Well if Hendie is out, yes. Otherwise no. Policy is fine. But in an injury crisis, you dont throw away the chance to contend for a 6N. By and large the policy works. But dont cut off your nose to spite your face.

And on the injury crisis at centre, two words: Mad, Igan.

And on the injury crisis at centre, two words: Mad, Igan.

Sounds like a crazy dyslexic russian

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭penybont exile

Why isn't Tipuric starting at 7 for Wales? Is he not performing for his club? Or is Navidi having a better season? Or is it that Tipuric is seen as a "finisher"?

He's a fine fine player .... Navidi is just a bit more physical over the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The IRFU seem to have confirmed that Dillane will be in Italy with Connacht this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

Team as per Murray Kinsella. No Henderson or Furlong

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Keith Earls
    13. Chris Farrell
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rory Best (captain)
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Peter O’Mahony
    7. Dan Leavy
    8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. John Ryan
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Joey Carbery
    23. Fergus McFadden

Weather not looking good for Saturday. No sign of rain at all.

Locking this game down is going to be quite a toughie. Even more so than the loss of Henshaw, the lack of VdF in tackle rampage to stifle Walesians is going to make things very difficult. Surprised Jackco makes it ahead of Murphy. No search and destroy 7 in that back row group at all.

So we're trying to bosh Wales into submission. Zero creativity in the back line outside of 10 and even less on the bench (Carbery won't get on), that backrow doesn't work. I really do think we'll be beaten, could even be comfortable for Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Yep Larmour should be starting at 15 and Carberry at 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

That’s a bloody good backline from Ireland, our best back three unit in a long time (since Kearney/Bowe/Fitzgerald imo) and I’m excited to see Aki and Farrell together again, they complement each other and I actually think Farrell is a better distributor than Henshaw - he was brilliant in that regards against the Argies. Sexton and Murray need no bugging up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

stephen_n wrote: »
    Yep Larmour should be starting at 15 and Carberry at 12.

Need Madigan at 9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Can't see either team finding much space on Saturday.

Need Murray and Sexton to be on absolute top form. Although most important performance might well be Andrew Porter's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Can see wales sneaking this. 21-16 sort of scoreline

We need huge games from that backrow especially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

So we're trying to bosh Wales into submission. Zero creativity in the back line outside of 10 and even less on the bench (Carbery won't get on), that backrow doesn't work. I really do think we'll be beaten, could even be comfortable for Wales.
    635db44ec05d1689a73165c550a4b626.gif

prawnsambo wrote: »
    635db44ec05d1689a73165c550a4b626.gif

You're absolutely right, Conan should be starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I just want to see the Ireland team now.

Will prob be:

Cian Healy
    Rory Best
    Andrew Porter
    Devin Toner
    James Ryan
    Dan Leavy
    Peter O Mahony
    CH Stander

Conor Murray
    Johnny Sexton
    Jacob Stockdale
    Bundee Aki
    Chris Farrell
    Keith Earls
    Rob Kearney

Seán Cronin
    John Ryan
    Dave Kilcoyne
    Ultan Dillane
    Jack Conan
    Kieran Marmion
    Joey Carbery
    Fergus McFadden

Due to injuries to:
    Furlong
    McGrath
    Henderson
    Henshaw
    Conway

Not a team I particularly like but it’s a “Joe team”

You're absolutely right, Conan should be starting.
    Happy to see him make this step up though. Hopefully he makes the next one. Soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Team as per Murray Kinsella. No Henderson or Furlong

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Keith Earls
    13. Chris Farrell
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Conor Murray

1. Cian Healy
    2. Rory Best (captain)
    3. Andrew Porter
    4. James Ryan
    5. Devin Toner
    6. Peter O’Mahony
    7. Dan Leavy
    8. CJ Stander

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. John Ryan
    19. Quinn Roux
    20. Jack Conan
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Joey Carbery
    23. Fergus McFadden

This would have to be one of the most inexperienced 15/23 Ireland have ever put out in a Six Nations game. All the players in bold have < 10 caps. It's clichéd but the halfbacks are going to be so crucial. I can't really disagree with the selection. It's a pity Andrew Conway couldn't get a game with Munster last weekend, he would have been a valuable impact player.

What a step up for Andrew Porter. He was pretty much unknown this time last year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Survive this and in theory anyway we have SOB, Furlong, Henderson and Ringrose to unleash on Scotland. Maybe Conway too

This would have to be one of the most inexperienced 15/23 Ireland have ever put out in a Six Nations game. All the players in bold have < 10 caps. It's clichéd but the halfbacks are going to be so crucial. I can't really disagree with the selection. It's a pity Andrew Conway couldn't get a game with Munster last weekend, he would have been a valuable impact player.

What a step up for Andrew Porter. He was pretty much unknown this time last year!
    You forgot Quinn Roux only has 4 caps. John Ryan has twelve but I'd say they are mainly off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Due to injuries to:
    McGrath

Getting your McGraths mixed up i think, jack is fine, its luke thats injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

On the upside I think we can absolutely destroy their lineout(or any international lineout) with our three jumpers. It could be a hard day for Wales to get any territory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There isn't really a viable alternative in the backline other than those players.

There is a reason we have never lost a 6N home game under Schmidt. Would be quite a turn around to lose comfortably to someone.

So we're trying to bosh Wales into submission. Zero creativity in the back line outside of 10

Not bosh them. But strangle the game and play 10 man rugby as far as possible, as far away from our try line as possible. Creativity is over rated. What we need is a win. And precisely because we are lacking that creativity, we must adapt our game to mitigate that weakness and not try to play something that doesnt suit us, but would suit the Welsh if we tried to and faiked at it.
    Centres only to be used as runners of rucks to give forwards a break. Back 3 to be used in some kick and chase.
    A 9-3 win is on here. I dont share some of the gloomy predictions.
    Joe knows what hes at.

When was the last time Wales failed to score a try against us?

On the upside I think we can absolutely destroy their lineout(or any international lineout) with our three jumpers. It could be a hard day for Wales to get any territory.
    Wales have a very good lineout, both offensively and defensively. It wasn't always so, but it certainly is now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Once Henderson, L McGrath and Furlong were ruled out, the team picked itself, the only decisions were who would start at LH and whether Dillane or Roux would bench. Both 50:50 calls really.

It's not the best team, but it's the best we can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

When was the last time Wales failed to score a try against us?

2014? We beat them 26-3.

Not bosh them. But strangle the game and play 10 man rugby as far as possible, as far away from our try line as possible. Creativity is over rated. What we need is a win. And precisely because we are lacking that creativity, we must adapt our game to mitigate that weakness and not try to play something that doesnt suit us, but would suit the Welsh if we tried to and faiked at it.
    Centres only to be used as runners of rucks to give forwards a break. Back 3 to be used in some kick and chase.
    Joe knows what hes at.

What'll suit the Welsh is for us to just run into them all day. We know that, we haven't beaten them since 2014. What you've described above is a recipe for failure.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    2014? We beat them 26-3.

And before that 2007, not really likely we are going to stop them scoring any tries this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

And before that 2007, not really likely we are going to stop them scoring any tries this weekend.

And in 2014, we had a full strength starting 15, bar Sean O'Brien. We're going to concede tries. But that's okay provided we can score them too.

• Advertisement

What'll suit the Welsh is for us to just run into them all day. We know that, we haven't beaten them since 2014. What you've described above is a recipe for failure.

<Pedantry alert>
    We beat them in August 2015

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Once Henderson, L McGrath and Furlong were ruled out, the team picked itself, the only decisions were who would start at LH and whether Dillane or Roux would bench. Both 50:50 calls really.

It's not the best team, but it's the best we can do.

Yeah I'd pretty much agree with that. I still don't like our back row tbh. But while Conan has looked good this season, and did well in his 40 against Italy, I'm still not convinced that he'd be able to step up for this one. And clearly neither are the coaches. This is arguably going to be the toughest game of the Championship. France was difficult but we were in control for the vast majority. England away will naturally be tough too, but the expectation level will be somewhat lower and we should have a few guys back for it.

For this weekend we've lost guys to injury while they've got guys back from injury. They've got 2 of Gatlands favourite things; their backs against the wall and a chip on their shoulder. Add to that, they don't fear us at all (we've a better record against England than Wales in recent times) and this is set up nicely for them. Is this the game to be throwing Conan into like that? I don't think so. The Scotland game on the other hand might be a decent shout. Their pack isn't great and that affords us a better opportunity to look at changes.

But I'm bloody nervous about this one.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    And in 2014, we had a full strength starting 15, bar Sean O'Brien. We're going to concede tries. But that's okay provided we can score them too.

They'd a poor tight 5 playing and we mauled them to death. Isn't going to happen this weekend I don't think.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They'd a poor tight 5 playing and we mauled them to death.

Their front five was probably their most celebrated of recent years. AWJ, Adam Jones and Richard Hibbard were all starting tests for the Lions 8 months earlier.

That Welsh pack was superb when you factor in the back row too. Ireland just outplayed them and won the tactical battle on the day.

Buer wrote: »
    Their front five was probably their most celebrated of recent years. AWJ, Adam Jones and Richard Hibbard were all starting tests for the Lions 8 months earlier.

That Welsh pack was superb when you factor in the back row too. Ireland just outplayed them and won the tactical battle on the day.

Jones hasn't played for Wales since... 2014 no less. It was like us rolling out John Hayes in 2010 when he clearly wasn't up to international rugby anymore. Hibbard is not and never was a top quality hooker. I had to look up the other second row, it was Andrew Coobes. Yeah.

They'd a poor tight 5 playing and we mauled them to death. Isn't going to happen this weekend I don't think.

So who would you pick instead?

So who would you pick instead?

Obviously I wouldn't pick Rob Kearney. If everyone could avoid being triggered that would be great. Would have liked to see Scannell get a go in midfield as he can actually pass the ball to decent effect. I would certainly pick Jack Conan as well, as again he can keep the ball alive which neither POM nor Stander do.

But I've said previously I think at this point we might have a Schmidt issue rather than a personnel issue. I don't think there's been much evolution in the way we've played since the last 6N win, and it isn't working. As for the selection this week, in Stander, Farrell, McFadden he's gone for the most direct players he can so I'm not expecting much different to the France performance. But Wales are a lot better than France. I'll be more than happy to be wrong.

I don't think the selection is remotely as important as how we're setting out to play, however I'd have picked Conan in the hopes he could add some better hands. Only real change I would have made.

I'm worried though. If we play like we did against France I'd worry about the Welsh being much more productive off the ball. They have far more strings to their bow. We need to score to win this game, we absolutely cannot expect to win without any linebreaks again. Sexton's performance is crucial for me, and moreso his performance on phases where he isn't kicking the ball.

Jones hasn't played for Wales since... 2014 no less. It was like us rolling out John Hayes in 2010 when he clearly wasn't up to international rugby anymore. Hibbard is not and never was a top quality hooker. I had to look up the other second row, it was Andrew Coobes. Yeah.

Adam Jones played on that year and then injuries cut short his test career. He was 32 when he played Ireland. It's not comparable to Hayes whatsoever who was a shadow of the player he was when his test career ended and had been for some time. Jones started 3 tests for the Lions the previous summer. He retired from test rugby himself at the end of 2014.

Hibbard was excellent for a couple of years and was at his peak in 2013/2014. He fully deserved to be in the Lions squad and went really well on the tour. Again, he left Wales which brought about the demise of his test career.

Just because something doesn't fit in with your narrative, doesn't make it false.

Buer wrote: »
    Adam Jones played on that year and then injuries cut short his test career. He was 32 when he played Ireland. It's not comparable to Hayes whatsoever who was a shadow of the player he was when his test career ended and had been for some time. Jones started 3 tests for the Lions the previous summer. He retired from test rugby himself at the end of 2014.

Hibbard was excellent for a couple of years and was at his peak in 2013/2014. He fully deserved to be in the Lions squad and went really well on the tour. Again, he left Wales which brought about the demise of his test career.

Hayes went from winning a Slam in Spring 2009, with the Ireland scrum being rock solid all campaign, to being eaten alive in Autumn 2009. Go refresh your memory of the Aus game that year.

Jones was in Wales until the end of the 2015 season at least. And leaving Wales has never really been an impediment to playing for the national team in the first place.
    Just because something doesn't fit in with your narrative, doesn't make it false.

Yawn. If you want to discuss rugby then grand, but you can jog on with this nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

"We are targeting a bonus-point win this weekend against Ireland so hopefully we can score some tries and come away with a good win.

"With players we have got I think we are more than capable of doing that."

Gareth Davies.

That's fighting talk.

http://www.skysports.com/amp/rugby-union/news/12507/11260235/gareth-davies-confident-wales-can-win-with-a-bonus-point-in-ireland-this-weekend?__twitter_impression=true

Hayes went from winning a Slam in Spring 2009, with the Ireland scrum being rock solid all campaign, to being eaten alive in Autumn 2009. Go refresh your memory of the Aus game that year.

Jones was in Wales until the end of the 2015 season at least. And leaving Wales has never really been an impediment to playing for the national team in the first place.

Yawn. If you want to discuss rugby then grand, but you can jog on with this nonsense.

The Welsh tight 5 during the Gatland era has been consistently a strength of theirs, including either side of the 2013 tour. The basic building block of their success was their ability to keep the ball comfortably for phases upon phases. We did well any time we got on top of them.

That's a bit different now due to personnel, but I wouldn't put it past Gatland to get this pack to play similarly well on any given day.

The Welsh tight 5 during the Gatland era has been consistently a strength of theirs, including either side of the 2013 tour. The basic building block of their success was their ability to keep the ball comfortably for phases upon phases. We did well any time we got on top of them.

That's a bit different now due to personnel, but I wouldn't put it past Gatland to get this pack to play similarly well on any given day.

I think their tight 5 to face us this weekend is very strong. With us missing Furlong and Henderson now I'm not sure we'll get much change there.

If we want we can change "they'd a poor tight 5" to "their tight 5 played poorly" because what the actual point was is that we mauled them off the pitch that day. It directly lead to both our tries. As usual then we get bogged down in besides-the-point chyte. Does anyone think we're going to do that on Saturday?

Obviously I wouldn't pick Rob Kearney. If everyone could avoid being triggered that would be great.

I'm not sure if this will count as being triggered, but "not Rob Kearney" isn't a player. The only alternative is Larmour and he didn't do enough against Italy. He was a liability against them, so he was never an option against an actual decent team.
    Would have liked to see Scannell get a go in midfield as he can actually pass the ball to decent effect. I would certainly pick Jack Conan as well, as again he can keep the ball alive which neither POM nor Stander do.

TBH I'm still very skeptical of Conan's ability to be a top-level international. Joe doesn't seem particularly keen on R Scannell for whatever reason and he knows a lot more about him than we do.
    But I've said previously I think at this point we might have a Schmidt issue rather than a personnel issue. I don't think there's been much evolution in the way we've played since the last 6N win, and it isn't working. As for the selection this week, in Stander, Farrell, McFadden he's gone for the most direct players he can so I'm not expecting much different to the France performance. But Wales are a lot better than France. I'll be more than happy to be wrong.

Agree with the bolded part anyway. Not sure if "issue" is the right word, but certainly Joe picks his style of play then gets his team to execute it. I think sometimes posters here would like to pick certain players and then adapt tactics to suit those players' skills, which is not how it should be done.

I'm not sure if this will count as being triggered, but "not Rob Kearney" isn't a player. The only alternative is Larmour and he didn't do enough against Italy. He was a liability against them, so he was never an option against an actual decent team.

No, that doesn't count as triggered. Joey Carbery is a player. We've seen him play at 15 a lot for Leinster and how effective he can be as a second playmaker. His defence has been good in the position as well.

I think their tight 5 to face us this weekend is very strong. With us missing Furlong and Henderson now I'm not sure we'll get much change their.

If we want we can change "they'd a poor tight 5" to "their tight 5 played poorly" because what the actual point was is that we mauled them off the pitch that day. It directly lead to both our tries. As usual then we get bogged down in besides-the-point chyte. Does anyone think we're going to do that on Saturday?

No you're right, we're not going to do that on Saturday, possibly because John Plumtree will be coaching the Hurricanes.

But we caught them by finding an area where we were dominant and then continuously taking advantage of that. I don't see where we'll find that this time but it could happen. It won't be the maul or scrum and I'd heavily doubt it'll be in the air.

My big concern, that I think we share, is that we'll go looking for it over and over again around the fringes and it won't be there. And the back row selection suggests it's what we'll do. And if we do what we did against the French I'd say the Welsh will take the game. Unless our pack is dominant and we start building a bigger lead.

No, that doesn't count as triggered. Joey Carbery is a player. We've seen him play at 15 a lot for Leinster and how effective he can be as a second playmaker. His defence has been good in the position as well.

Yeah, that would be interesting alright. Means there is no out-half on the bench and you end up with a very new backline, but it could mean more variety in attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Joe knows what hes at.

I will take that if we can avoid any injuries.

Hurrache wrote: »
    "We are targeting a bonus-point win this weekend against Ireland so hopefully we can score some tries and come away with a good win.

"With players we have got I think we are more than capable of doing that."

Gareth Davies.

That's fighting talk.

http://www.skysports.com/amp/rugby-union/news/12507/11260235/gareth-davies-confident-wales-can-win-with-a-bonus-point-in-ireland-this-weekend?__twitter_impression=true
    Love it.

No cute hoorism.

• Advertisement

Hayes was never a strong scrummager and his game was never based on that. He was eaten alive at the scrum during some of his best years too. Playing alongside a debutant after being suspended for several weeks hardly helped his performance either.

I don't see a comparison to Hayes being reasonable. Hayes was on a downward curve. He was part of the 2009 team but that's not to say he was playing near to the level he had been previously. He turned 36 in 2009 and his career was circling the drain overall.

Adam Jones of 2013/14 was a far superior player to John Hayes 2009/10.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement