Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

It was absolutely beautiful, made it luck like just a bit of afters and was gone like a thief in the night before anyone could even notice.

Some say that in actual fact he held onto the kiwi for 5 seconds but it was so subtle that the video cameras didn't even notice.
    Owen Franks probably helped in that he was much more aggressive in engaging with Stander than Stander was. So even on second viewing, you'd be convinced that Stander was just getting back into position and Franks got involved first.

Deserving of an Oscar really. Method acting at its purest. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Hadnt seen that block before but shows NZ mindset at that game, if that had been a world cup game then methinks they would have been claiming blue murder and for it to go to the TMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Webbs wrote: »
    Hadnt seen that block before but shows NZ mindset at that game, if that had been a world cup game then methinks they would have been claiming blue murder and for it to go to the TMO

I don't even think Franks realised the move had been timed to block him. He just tried to shove the big lad out of the way. Realistically Sexton knows to take the quick conversion and it is done before NZ know to complain!

Not really sure the block was needed though. Looks like Murray had enough room without it as Stander's presence seemed to shift NZ over a bit by itself. Definitely Oscar worthy but also a bit risky.

Nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

rubbish, the kiwis do enough of that stuff, they just accept it and get on with it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

rubbish, the kiwis do enough of that stuff, they just accept it and get on with it...

Exactly. We don't bitch and moan about things like that. Or other teams getting too physical ;)

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Exactly. We don't bitch and moan about things like that. Or other teams getting too physical ;)
    Yeah, right. You just bitch about other people bitching. :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah, right. You just bitch about other people bitching. :D:p

Exactly. We don't like bitching but when others are bitching we will bitch about their bitching because there should be no bitching in rugby.

I love that bitching isn't censored.

Bitch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Looking forward to seeing an Aki and Ringrose combination at centre against Scotland.
    However, Sammy Arnold is the form 13 in Ireland at the moment, with Luke Marshall and Tom Farrell also playing well.
    McCloskey might get a call up, but the only player I'd be calling up is Arnold, and I would start him ahead of Ringrose if he is up to speed with the calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Farrell out for 6 weeks. Person who told me Porter would start last Tuesday evening is the source.

Sh1t luck all round really

Farrell out for 6 months more like

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Looking forward to seeing an Aki and Ringrose combination at centre against Scotland.
    However, Sammy Arnold is the form 13 in Ireland at the moment, with Luke Marshall and Tom Farrell also playing well.
    McCloskey might get a call up, but the only player I'd be calling up is Arnold, and I would start him ahead of Ringrose if he is up to speed with the calls.

No, he absolutely is not, but he is the most likely to play if something happens Ringrose.

I would be shocked if McCloskey got called up, Joe has no interest in him for whatever reasons and Marshall seems to have fallen off the radar completely.

Edit; and of course Scannell/Aki is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gleesonisgod

While I believe Ringrose is the best centre we have, I'd rather see Scannell/Aki than Aki/Ringrose . Ideally I would have Scannell/Ringrose.

We badly need that 2nd playmaker in the backline, and Carberry and Scannell are the options. Payne was such a huge loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Payne was such a huge loss.

Absolutely. I really don't think the magnitude of his loss is fully appreciated.

mangobob wrote: »
    Absolutely. I really don't think the magnitude of his loss is fully appreciated.

+1

A bigger loss than Furlong and Murray imo.

His presence would go a long way to solving our two main issues, defence out wide and attacking variety.

And there'd be no arguments about Larmour/TOH/Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭The Black Stags

No, he absolutely is not, but he is the most likely to play if something happens Ringrose.

I would be shocked if McCloskey got called up, Joe has no interest in him for whatever reasons and Marshall seems to have fallen off the radar completely.

Edit; and of course Scannell/Aki is an option.
    In fairness to Marshall last two Ulster games he has defended really well. But with Ulster not performing I don't see him or McClosky being involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

We badly need that 2nd playmaker in the backline

Joe dont seem to agree though, so not something he will do by choice. And even if forced into such a player, probably would still not change the game plan to run a second playmaker type style.

What's the suss on Tom Farrell?

I know stats aren't everything but comfortably leading the clean break and offload lists for Pro 14, obviously the boy can play. I haven;t seen much of him but he's looked quality in the inter-pros.

What's his d and passing like, and why was Arnold called up ahead of him?

In terms of boards.ie fallacies, the idea that Payne would magically improve our attack must be the most often repeated and the most nonsensical.

He'd be very handy to have in terms of defensive organisation. Not sure either Aki or Ringrose will give us that.

Joe dont seem to agree though, so not something he will do by choice. And even if forced into such a player, probably would still not change the game plan to run a second playmaker type style.

Not to the extent of Ford/Farrell or Sexton/Farrell but it adds another dimension. Look at any game Payne has played for us and you'll see that, even Zebo to an extent at times and he's been on the wing.

In terms of boards.ie fallacies, the idea that Payne would magically improve our attack must be the most often repeated and the most nonsensical.

He'd be very handy to have in terms of defensive organisation. Not sure either Aki or Ringrose will give us that.

No nothing magical about it. In general players who replace inferior attacking players will improve a team's attack.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Yea I don't know where this came from.

The Henshaw Payne combination was as dull as dishwater with ball in hand. The lack of attacking threat was the reason it was never universally popular.

No nothing magical about it. In general players who replace inferior attacking players will improve a team's attack.

I don't really think he was any better an attacker than anyone else available. He's certainly one of our slower centres for example. I think he was in the team much more for his defensive than his attacking abilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Completely agreed with FF. Payne was a very classy player but he is not the type of player who would be able to vary our attack. The ball isn't getting past first receiver as it is very often and Payne was never the type to stand in there. Zebo would be a much more likely player to improve things I reckon but not sure he'd have the freedom to do that at international level.

However the reintroduction of Payne in conjunction with a change in how we play inside could theoretically be a successful move, however can't see that happening at this stage unfortunately, think him getting involved with coaching is possibly a bad sign :(

I'm not saying everything Murray Kinsella says is gospel but here he gives proper examples of Payne's ability to stand at first receiver and create.

http://www.the42.ie/analysis-jared-payne-fullback-ireland-3296144-Mar2017/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

him getting involved with coaching is possibly a bad sign :(

He's involved in coaching now? I missed that.
    Where?

kuang1 wrote: »
    He's involved in coaching now? I missed that.
    Where?
    Ulster.

I'm not saying everything Murray Kinsella says is gospel but here he gives proper examples of Payne's ability to stand at first receiver and create.

He was playing fullback in that match. And obviously it was a good team we played but we scored one try from a rolling maul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

In one of the few games he ever played at 15 for us. There's no evidence at all that they would have him at 15 if he was fit. Far, far more likely that he'd be at 13.

If he was fit and he was playing at 15, which really won't happen, it would be interesting to see if he played like that or played further out the line like he did against SA.

He was playing fullback in that match. And obviously it was a good team we played but we scored one try from a rolling maul.

That doesnt really apply to the point I'm making. He can stand at first receiver and perform competently, none of our current centres or fb can. We looked lost at times vs France and Wales.

And I said earlier that I would play him at fullback, and I think there is a chance Joe would as well if he were fit.

• Advertisement

If standing at first or second receiver is what we want, then playing him at centre would make more sense - which is exactly what he did for 18 (I think) of his 20 caps. If he was a wonderful playmaker, he had plenty of opportunity to show it, but he didn't (and that's as much about what Joe asks of him as about his ability). Even at full-back; the England game last year was not a good attacking display from either Payne or the team.

If you want a fullback to be a playmaker, I'd look at Carbery. A running threat from deep? Larmour. Payne is neither of these things. He's a fullback who's much more in the mould of Rob Kearney than people would like to admit.

In the parallel universe where everyone is fit all the time, the Ireland rugby team features Payne at 13 and Kearney at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭tmc1963

Ryan Wilson cleared - what a ridiculous citing that was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

So what now at centre? The brains trust here needs to rank the top five possible replacements for Farrell. Joe’s waiting for our consensus statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ardillaun wrote: »
    So what now at centre? The brains trust here needs to rank the top five possible replacements for Farrell. Joe’s waiting for our consensus statement.

I'm 90% sure it will be 12. Aki 13. Ringrose.

On current form and with Ringrose having played very little rugby 12. Scannell 13. Aki might actually be the better combination but I doubt we'll see Aki being thrown into defending the 13 channel for the first time with the 6 nations on the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

So assuming no more training mishaps etc.:

1. Ringrose.

2. Scannell.

I'm long on the record for thinking our best centre partnership might be Aki - Ringrose.

I'd personally be very excited to see it, as much as I feel that Farrell only lost out through injury.

• Advertisement

I'm long on the record for thinking our best centre partnership might be Aki - Ringrose.

I'd personally be very excited to see it, as much as I feel that Farrell only lost out through injury.

I don't think Ringrose has shown enough this season yet tbh, I'm a bit apprehensive of him coming into the game having played so little and having performed well below himself so far. Though down Henshaw and down Farrell he's the obvious choice.

I don't think Ringrose has shown enough this season yet tbh, I'm a bit apprehensive of him coming into the game having played so little and having performed well below himself so far. Though down Henshaw and down Farrell he's the obvious choice.

I think he's a natural 13. I think he understands the position better than anyone else regardless of fitness.

He'll make up the difference on the pitch, but I've absolute faith in him doing a good enough job against Scotland and building on that sufficiently to face England.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Ardillaun wrote:
    So assuming no more training mishaps etc.:

Ardillaun wrote:
    1. Ringrose.

Ardillaun wrote:
    2. Scannell.

I wouldn't be sure Scannell is 2nd choice, he's been released back to Munster and Arnold has been kept so he must be the back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Cat out of the bag : Carbs 10, Jonny 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Former Coach

Eh, no!

• Advertisement

12. Tom Farrell
    13. Aki

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

12. Tom Farrell
    13. Aki

Did I wander into the Connacht thread?

12. McFadden
    13. Earls

No need to call anyone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Former Coach

:eek:o:eek::eek:
    12. McFadden
    13. Earls

Declan? Is that you? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

12. McFadden
    13. Earls

12. Reid
    13. McFadden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

nice game the weekend, good win and the only issue would be defense. Wales had some lovely tries.
    i can see us losing the last 2, ireland have serious issues when playing teams who have the skills to attack out wide.
    wales caused us problems and scotland will cause even more.
    But Scotland are a good team that have been building the last 5 years and are the most enjoyable team to watch in the 6 nations and the 2019 world cup group with them will be very tough regards 1 and 2 positioning which is very important.
    England away will be a bruiser, they are a good team under pressure playing at home. We could get a right hiding in that, 20+ points.
    I think england are going to win the championship. we will lose our last 2 and england will win theirs.

But no shame in that considering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

nice game the weekend, good win and the only issue would be defense. Wales had some lovely tries.
    i can see us losing the last 2, ireland have serious issues when playing teams who have the skills to attack out wide.
    wales caused us problems and scotland will cause even more.
    But Scotland are a good team that have been building the last 5 years and are the most enjoyable team to watch in the 6 nations and the 2019 world cup group with them will be very tough regards 1 and 2 positioning which is very important.
    England away will be a bruiser, they are a good team under pressure playing at home. We could get a right hiding in that, 20+ points.
    I think england are going to win the championship. we will lose our last 2 and england will win theirs.

But no shame in that considering

https://youtu.be/-ECUtkv2qV8

He's trying to do a stopped clock impression and get it right at least twice. Unfortunately he can't stop moving the hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,824 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Rory O'Loughlin hasn't gotten a mention, is he that out of form? He was a revelation 12 months ago, what went wrong for him?
    He could definitely do a job at 13, but if he hasn't been in camp the past month he won't get a call up now I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement