Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

i can see us losing the last 2

Of course you can - you see us losing every game. You're usually wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

prawnsambo wrote: »
    He's trying to do a stopped clock impression and get it right at least twice. Unfortunately he can't stop moving the hands.

are you a seller of clocks or just a dealer in silly proverbs.
    time is not real man, get with it.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Of course you can - you see us losing every game. You're usually wrong.

not every game, just the next one

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭irishfan9

Rory O'Loughlin hasn't gotten a mention, is he that out of form? He was a revelation 12 months ago, what went wrong for him?
    He could definitely do a job at 13, but if he hasn't been in camp the past month he won't get a call up now I'd imagine.

based on current form he couldn't do a job at 13, especially defensively.

he broke through last season as a wing who covered 13, this season he has been a 13 only and had a sophomore slump unfortunately.

huge gap between him and Ringrose at 13.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Yes, that's right. Every game you come in here and tell us we're going to lose the next one. So after a while it's fairly expected that we'd stop listening

Anyway, you said we wouldn't win more than 2 games, so you're already off this year. Possibly even end up being off by 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yes, that's right. Every game you come in here and tell us we're going to lose the next one. So after a while it's fairly expected that we'd stop listening

Anyway, you said we wouldn't win more than 2 games, so you're already off this year. Possibly even end up being off by 3

Ah but when he does pull it out of the bag he is straight back in with uncle Joe comments, although oddly not to be seen after a win.

Didn't you say before the 6N that anything other than a grand slam and a clean sweep down in Aus would be a disaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

salmocab wrote: »
    Ah but when he does pull it out of the bag he is straight back in with uncle Joe comments, although oddly not to be seen after a win.

This was posted on saturday morning

its going to be hard to win farrell porter james ryan stockdale and leavy are very green, and on the bench roux and mcfadden will offer very little. they actually show that our much spoke depth is nonsense.
    we will not beat england so lose today and its mid table scenario.
    given we are told the 6 nations is our bread and butter, lose today and the media will begin to crank up the pressure on schmidt. and as can be seen by his performance the last 2 weeks, schmidt dont handle media pressure too well.

schmidt needs a win today or the knives will be out.

Ryan, Stockdale, Farrell, Porter and Leavy all played a huge part in a great win.

LOL x 100000000000000000000000000000000

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's eerily prescient in how wrong it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

If we win the GS it will solely be because of other team's injury crises, Sexton's flukey drop goal and Stockdale's flukey intercept. Anything less than 3-0 against Australia and an emphatic win over NZ in November will be a failure and the knives will be out for Uncle Joe and Joe's boys.

Tbh I think it's sickening that we didn't start Larmour against Wales with Carbery at 12. Farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

turnikett1 wrote: »
    ... and the knives will be out for Uncle Joe and Joe's boys.

From you, they certainly will.

Most other people though, for instance those two don't consider 40 phases followed by a perfect pass and dropgoal 'flukey', or who can see the length of Ireland's injury list, not so much.

It was sarcasm lads, was imitating Count Dookoo... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Having looked back the Wales game now a few times one thing that seemed to happen frequently was poor ball placement by James Ryan at the breakdown. A few times it sloppy and uncontrolled. Hopefully just an occurrence in this match and not something he is generally bad at. Anyone else notice this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,880 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Didn't you say before the 6N that anything other than a grand slam and a clean sweep down in Aus would be a disaster?

To be fair I think he said we needed to win 4 out of 5 and that if we didn't then "uncle joe" would be under savage pressure....plus a lot of other rubbish I can't remember right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

You have to remember that Dookoo has a knife shop to run. Can't be posting on boards all the time. Just quietly, I think the business is struggling at the moment.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    To be fair I think he said we needed to win 4 out of 5 and that if we didn't then "uncle joe" would be under savage pressure....plus a lot of other rubbish I can't remember right now.

Found it.
    We can all agree that winning the grand slam and a winning tour to australia are the only outcomes that would make 2018 a successful year for Joe Schmidt. Anything less will be deemed a complete and utter failure.

And if we win the slam and oz tour I will be justified in my optimism. I always knew we had the players and a brilliant coaching ticket

We will win this and next 6 nations championships and the oz tour and we will make semi of the World Cup.

Lot of people will be eating their words on here especially when Zebo returns and rocks the World Cup.

That is the most enjoyable part

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

And if we win the slam and oz tour I will be justified in my optimism. I always knew we had the players and a brilliant coaching ticket

giphy.gif
    I think the zebo affair guarantees this championship will end in tears, you win nothing by replacing your best back 3 player with a guy who is nothing but a glorified utility player who owes his many caps to blind loyalty.
    I say we win 2 from 5, Boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It was sarcasm lads, was imitating Count Dookoo... :rolleyes:

Whoosh. What can I say, other than I'm a cabbage! (and I don't see his posts these days, which explains a little I suppose)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We will win this and next 6 nations championships and the oz tour and we will make semi of the World Cup.

Lot of people will be eating their words on here especially when Zebo returns and rocks the World Cup.

Not sure you understand the word optimism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,868 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Bit unclear form your original post, do you mean those are standards Scmidt would use to define if season is successful or not? Or your own measure? Just curious

The Boy who Cried Loss

You werent so optimistic on saturday morning.
    its going to be hard to win farrell porter james ryan stockdale and leavy are very green, and on the bench roux and mcfadden will offer very little. they actually show that our much spoke depth is nonsense.
    given we are told the 6 nations is our bread and butter, lose today and the media will begin to crank up the pressure on schmidt. and as can be seen by his performance the last 2 weeks, schmidt dont handle media pressure too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭foxyladyxx

Originally Posted by Marina Old-fashioned Locket View Post
    I think the zebo affair guarantees this championship will end in tears, you win nothing by replacing your best back 3 player with a guy who is nothing but a glorified utility player who owes his many caps to blind loyalty.
    I say we win 2 from 5, Boom.

* scratches the head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

They also predicted England to win the championship at 9.05 this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

this damn weather is bound to have an effect on training for the Scotland game. Imagine there doing a lot of indoor work and analysis

really scared of this Scottish team who could mess up our season. They can still win the title too given they have Italy on the last day

PTH2009 wrote: »
    this damn weather is bound to have an effect on training for the Scotland game. Imagine there doing a lot of indoor work and analysis

really scared of this Scottish team who could mess up our season. They can still win the title too given they have Italy on the last day

Squad trained earlier in week and are on a few days off now

They can mathematically I think. But assuming loss for Ireland without lbp and normal win for England , that's Ireland on 14 and England on 13. Normal win for either is either 18 or 17. Scotland on 8 with -9 pd so would need probably 2 tbp wins and hammer Italy and even then might not be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

The weather is also as bad if not worse in Scotland as it is in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

We're grand.

The weather will affect the Scots more than us in preparation of our game, because Scotland is colder.

Then, because the Aviva Premiership games went ahead this week, and the Pro14 games were cancelled, our backup player pool will be fresher than England's, which will give us the marginal edge.

Grand slam guaranteed. Thanks Beast.

• Advertisement

Eod100 wrote: »
    They can mathematically I think. But assuming loss for Ireland without lbp and normal win for England , that's Ireland on 14 and England on 13. Normal win for either is either 18 or 17. Scotland on 8 with -9 pd so would need probably 2 tbp wins and hammer Italy and even then might not be enough.

The table is really nice reading for us Irish

Booked paddys day off work so I'm going to enjoy us possibly getting the title/GS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Bazzo wrote: »
    The weather is also as bad if not worse in Scotland as it is in Ireland.

Scotland has a full sized indoor pitch though which id put money on them using

D14Rugby wrote: »

that's not fair

It's like when the Argentina team met with the pope before the 2015 RWC, they got god on there side lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

So we have barely won 3 of 5 games having played italy and having England away as one of the last two games. I think the beans need chilling regarding grand slam........but we will though won't we?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Burkie1203 wrote: »

This was posted on saturday morning

Ryan, Stockdale, Farrell, Porter and Leavy all played a huge part in a great win.

LOL x 100000000000000000000000000000000

Hey if he has the power to predict by reversing his predictions that is still v valuable. We need to run dookoo regressions and possibly short his every prediction.

So we have barely won 3 of 5 games having played italy and having England away as one of the last two games. I think the beans need chilling regarding grand slam........but we will though won't we?!

We won away to France and got a BP win at home against Wales. We are very strong favourites to win the championship based off that.

As regards the grand slam - well its a possibilitly. Beat Scotland and there is a sizeable chance we will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

For casual TV fans like me it’s easier to spot excellence or otherwise in attack than defence but even I could see fragility out wide in the Wales match and the thought of Aki, Ringrose and Stockdale against the likes of Hogg, Jones and the Scottish wingers does not engender confidence. How are we going to strengthen the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Big picture, it’s a good thing that Scotland are back in the mix as contenders and England don’t just walk it and make the 6N a waste of time. Hogg is a pleasure to watch and Jones appearing from nowhere is fun too. Now we’ve got to stop them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There was a good article in, I think, the Guardian about Huw Jones' late development as a rugby player and how the idea of channelling players into specific sports and positions from an early age might be a big mistake.

• Advertisement

Ardillaun wrote: »
    For casual TV fans like me it’s easier to spot excellence or otherwise in attack than defence but even I could see fragility out wide in the Wales match and the thought of Aki, Ringrose and Stockdale against the likes of Hogg, Jones and the Scottish wingers does not engender confidence. How are we going to strengthen the wall?

England's backrow didn't show up, denying England clean, safe ball. Our backrow will, by gum they will, and we will starve those dour cocky Scots of all possession. They will live off scraps, however, lacking the BMT and pressure-coping skills that Wales have, they will crumble, and not score very much. Neither will we give away a stupid amount of penalties, like England.

Well I hope anyways. It's a good Scottish team but they kind of remind me of the Ireland of old - a couple of talismanic players who hold the team together, capable of putting in amazing, emotional performances at home, but ultimately fail when it comes to the crunch. I don't see them conjuring a 2nd, back-to-back blow your balls off performance, especially on the road. Russell when on fire is a beautiful out-half but as you saw in the Wales and France game when he's put under pressure he chokes big time. Ireland are the kings of applying pressure. So I feel quite confident, but I don't want to ever write off this Scottish team. They are capable of putting in away performances, it's just of a matter of when, under what circumstances.

D14Rugby wrote: »

Irish team are on a few days off as planned. They had training earlier in week and the open day at Aviva. IIRC they are not due back to Carton House until Sunday. By then the worst of the weather will have passed hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Ardillaun wrote: »

Ringrose is a better defender at 13 than Aki or Farrell so in that regards we're improving by bringing him in.

England's backrow didn't show up, denying England clean, safe ball. Our backrow will, by gum they will, and we will starve those dour cocky Scots of all possession. They will live off scraps, however, lacking the BMT and pressure-coping skills that Wales have, they will crumble, and not score very much. Neither will we give away a stupid amount of penalties, like England.

Well I hope anyways. It's a good Scottish team but they kind of remind me of the Ireland of old - a couple of talismanic players who hold the team together, capable of putting in amazing, emotional performances at home, but ultimately fail when it comes to the crunch. I don't see them conjuring a 2nd, back-to-back blow your balls off performance, especially on the road. Russell when on fire is a beautiful out-half but as you saw in the Wales and France game when he's put under pressure he chokes big time. Ireland are the kings of applying pressure. So I feel quite confident, but I don't want to ever write off this Scottish team. They are capable of putting in away performances, it's just of a matter of when, under what circumstances.

Yeah I think a big away win for Scotland is the big test. Knew from playing them at home last season how good they can be at home. It's interesting because apart from Ireland beating France and England beating Italy, there hasn't been other matches where home team has lost. Probably more indication of fixtures so far than anything. Assume England will beat France next round. And Scotland bearing Italy in final round. Other than than Ireland v Scotland and England v Ireland are obviously the games which will decide Championship or Grand Slam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Eod100 wrote: »
    Yeah I think a big away win for Scotland is the big test. Knew from playing them at home last season how good they can be at home. It's interesting because apart from Ireland beating France and England beating Italy, there hasn't been other matches where home team has lost. Probably more indication of fixtures so far than anything. Assume England will beat France next round. And Scotland bearing Italy in final round. Other than than Ireland v Scotland and England v Ireland are obviously the games which will decide Championship or Grand Slam!
    I think someone posted here that the stats indicate that excluding Italy, there's usually only one away win in the 6N every year.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I think someone posted here that the stats indicate that excluding Italy, there's usually only one away win in the 6N every year.

Last year, excluding Italy, only England won away, to wales

Its entirely possible there is no more away wins in this 6n (excluding Italy)

They are becoming harder and harder to achieve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

.ak wrote: »
    Ringrose is a better defender at 13 than Aki or Farrell so in that regards we're improving by bringing him in.

He was before his shoulder surgeries. I'm not sure he quite got back to full confidence though before he was injured again.

I'm not convinced England are going to manage to beat France in Paris to be honest.

My memories from the Welsh match was (first try aside) that our defence until the final quarter was sufficating. Never really thought Wales were likely to score anything. Now, I don't recall they ever really managed to get the ball wide in that time period and that seems to be the Irish approach - weakness out wide but full on rush in the middle to stop the ball ever getting there. It seems to get sloppy in the last 15-20 minutes of games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

If France had reselected their best players I'd hold out some hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Just been thinking of this the last few days.
    Especially concerned for Sexton kicking.
    Has anybody seen comment or analysis on his kicking from the tee v Wales? Plus that brutal penalty miss v France

& in all seriousness is Conor Murray a viable alternative?
    I think he should be taking Goal kicking from the start v Scotland.
    I’m only basing this on his kick v Wales and the few long rangers v Racing.

Ah, Sexton was clearly carrying something versus Wales that was affecting his kicking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement