Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Team Talk/Gossip/Rumour Thread VIII - ** MOD NOTE POST #4781 **

1195196197198199201»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭jm08

He can do it, but he isn't guaranteed his spot in a first choice Ireland 23. For that matter, I'm not sure where POM would stand if Sean O'Brien and VDF were fit.

All fit I think only SOB would be guaranteed a place in an Ireland back row and I reckon Stander is the next most 'locked in' player in that category. It's why I think we're possibly unlikely to see a captain selected from the back row.

I think the Australia tour is good opportunity for Ireland to both mature our depth but also put a marker down just over a year out from the RWC cup. Part of developing our depth is developing the decision making and leadership qualities of those players hence a shake up of the captaincy. As someone else said, I'd be tempted to leave Best at home. I'd almost leave Sexton at home but if he starts one and benches one that should be fine.

Worth bearing in mind that Ireland have won its 3rd Championship when POM has been the starting blindside. He was injured or on the bench for the 2 championships that England won (bar the last game when he started v. England which Ireland won).

As well as that, Ireland haven't lost a game since he has been starting in last year's Six Nations.

So, in short, I think he is a nailed on starter for the foreseeable future.

Edit: for comparision - POM has 64% win rate with Ireland. SOB has 54%.

James Ryan should captain the Ireland tour to Australia this summer.

Discuss.

My thoughts:
    Warburton made captain at a similar age (22).
    Ryan is potentially first choice in his position, is likely to consolidate that moving forward.
    A tour captain alternative to Best would be worth bedding in before the World Cup just in case.
    There isn't as much competition in the second row as there is in the back row.

I'm obviously fairly biased on this one so keen to hear other people's thoughts.

He's going so well that I wouldn't want to risk any interruptions to that. He will be captain, but not yet.

POM could well be captain for a while if he stays injury free.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

What about Conor Murray as potential tour captain?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

jm08 wrote: »
    Worth bearing in mind that Ireland have won its 3rd Championship when POM has been the starting blindside. He was injured or on the bench for the 2 championships that England won (bar the last game when he started v. England which Ireland won).

As well as that, Ireland haven't lost a game since he has been starting in last year's Six Nations.

I think there are a lot of people who would disagree with you there. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Ireland have done very well with Ruddock and with VDF too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭irelandrover

aloooof wrote: »
    What about Conor Murray as potential tour captain?

Id hope that sexton and murray are both left at home for the tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Id hope that sexton and murray are both left at home for the tour.

They are the key players in the team. If they are available they should travel. I wouldn't have them starting every game mind. The same goes for Kearney.

If Niall Scannell is fit and in form then I'd look to get him at least two starts. Ireland badly need competition at hooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Think how many he would have scored if Zebo was fullback :pac:

9?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ireland beat NZ with flankers of Stander, Murphy and VDF. Therefore, they are the best flankers in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I thought QB win stats were bad enough in the NFL. Flanker win stats in rugby? Good grief.

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    I think there are a lot of people who would disagree with you there. Correlation doesn't equal causation.

Ireland have done very well with Ruddock and with VDF too.

Of course they have. But whatever reason, Ruddock has 19 caps (8 starting - 3 of those against USA & Japan). POM has 47 (starting 40).

VDF is an openside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

After beating Scotland we are now the Raeburn shield(hypothetical world title) holder again

http://www.raeburnshield.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭PMC83

Just after Cronins try on Saturday he was pointing at the ground, any idea what eh was getting at?

Of course they have. But whatever reason, Ruddock has 19 caps (8 starting - 3 of those against USA & Japan). POM has 47 (starting 40).

VDF is an openside.

All of which is irrelevant. We win the 6n because we have the best squad, great depth, an outstanding coach and really smart play.

The only performance over the entire 6n that concerns me is Rory Best because N Scannell has been injured.

We have had 3 outside centres, lost our best 7 beforehand and then his replacement in game 1 yet still kept winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    9?

nah a few more given he'd get a pass or two :rolleyes:

Given the injury turnover and general inexperience some of the players, if we do win the Slam on Saturday I'd rate it as a greater achievement than 2009. Can't remember that many injures from 09?

Buer wrote: »
    Ireland beat NZ with flankers of Stander, Murphy and VDF. Therefore, they are the best flankers in the world.

None of those are starting blindsides for their provinces (although CJ filled in there when POM was out injured).

Given the injury turnover and general inexperience some of the players, if we do win the Slam on Saturday I'd rate it as a greater achievement than 2009. Can't remember that many injures from 09?

Our main injury in 2009 was Ferris in the last game. I can't recall any other front line player getting injured.

We only made one change to our 23 between the first and last game of the 2009 6N which was through choice when MOK was dropped for MOD on the bench (for poor discipline, I vaguely recall).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Even without the injuries it would be a better achievement - 2009 was England and France at home, and we kinda just scraped a few wins out - it felt like a large part of it all was luck (which is why it was so exciting). This year has been much more of a controlled set of performances, we're a bit more dominant and not just relying on luck. Plus we had to beat France in Paris, and we'll have to beat England in Twickenham. A very difficult task!

• Advertisement

None of those are starting blindsides for their provinces (although CJ filled in there when POM was out injured).

I'd wager CJ's first 10 or so Irish caps were all at blindside if I recall correctly. He's perfectly capable of playing there.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    All of which is irrelevant. We win the 6n because we have the best squad, great depth, an outstanding coach and really smart play.

The only performance over the entire 6n that concerns me is Rory Best because N Scannell has been injured.

We have had 3 outside centres, lost our best 7 beforehand and then his replacement in game 1 yet still kept winning.

As irrelevant as this post:

''For that matter, I'm not sure where POM would stand if Sean O'Brien and VDF were fit.''

Sean O'Brien is not going to be moved away from 7 - even Gatland shifted Warburton to 6 on the lions to accommodate him there.

Guess where the majority of Dan Leavy's starts for Leinster in the past two seasons have been....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

looking here https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0311/946680-ten-years-of-ireland-v-england-in-the-six-nations/

our record over in Twic is not great at all the last 10 years, 1 win out of 6 and some big defeats

15 March 2008- England 33- Ireland 10
    27 Feb 2010- Engalnd 16- Ireland 20
    17 March 2012- England 30- Ireland 9
    22 Feb 2014- England 13- Ireland 10
    5 Sep 2015- England 21- Ireland 13 (World Cup warm up game)
    27 Feb 2016- England 21- Ireland 10

I'd wager CJ's first 10 or so Irish caps were all at blindside if I recall correctly. He's perfectly capable of playing there.

He is well capable of it. He played his first 10 caps at blindside (that would be the last 2 six nations which Ireland didn't do too well at losing to Scotland, France, Wales & England.

Buer wrote: »
    Guess where the majority of Dan Leavy's starts for Leinster in the past two seasons have been....

And when Ruddock is fit, where does he play?

He seems to play across the backrow with a few starts at 8 as well. Ideal bench material if SOB is fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

PTH2009 wrote: »
    looking here https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2018/0311/946680-ten-years-of-ireland-v-england-in-the-six-nations/

our record over in Twic is not great at all the last 10 years, 1 win out of 6 and some big defeats

World cup warm up game is irrelevant. The 2010 match was also the 3rd time in 4 attempts we won at Twickenham. So we are actually 3 out of 7 in relevant matches there.

Course lies, damn lies and statistics and all that.

PTH2009 wrote: »

The two bolded results are probably the only two I would consider relevant to assessing our challenge this weekend. The RWC warm up game would have less direct relevance for me also given the context.

The previous results certainly paint a picture of the difficulty of the fixture however.

Regardless in 2014 England got one good chance to score when Brown broke and put care away and that was the game. 2016 was peak England against a heavily revised Ireland in a championship where Schmidt predicted 3rd place from the outset.

In many ways this is the reversal of the norm. How many times have England come to Ireland needing a win for the slam and now it's us knocking on their door.

I almost hope we line up on the wrong side and refuse to move.

I almost hope we line up on the wrong side and refuse to move.

:pac:

He is well capable of it. He played his first 10 caps at blindside (that would be the last 2 six nations which Ireland didn't do too well at losing to Scotland, France, Wales & England.

Fair enough, but I still think drawing conclusions from match results based on one player in one position is overly simplistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Fair enough, but I still think drawing conclusions from match results based on one player in one position is overly simplistic.
    The magical influence of the number 6 shirt on the outcome of a game can't be overstressed. :D

• Advertisement

It was POM losing the lions captaincy that lead them to pull the series out of the fire and find a draw. We can all twist some stats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

And when Ruddock is fit, where does he play?

He seems to play across the backrow with a few starts at 8 as well. Ideal bench material if SOB is fit.

He plays at 6.

He plays at 6.

In PRO 12/14 starts for Leinster:
    No. 6 - 9 times
    No. 7 - 12 times
    No. 8 - 3 times

In his 3 Champs Cup starts (out of 10 appearances):
    2 @ 6 and 1 @ 7.

His 7 starts in the B&I Cup was @7.

This season in the Champs Cup, out of 4 games, he has had 1 start v. Montpelier @ 6.

It was POM losing the lions captaincy that lead them to pull the series out of the fire and find a draw. We can all twist some stats.

The Lions won the 2nd game when POM was dropped.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

No. 6 - 9 times
    No. 7 - 12 times
    No. 8 - 3 times

2 @ 6 and 1 @ 7.

This season in the Champs Cup, out of 4 games, he has had 1 start v. Montpelier @ 6.
    You're talking about Leinster. Who have so many back rows, they play musical chairs at selection time. Leo calls the music and Stu pulls the chairs away. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

No. 6 - 9 times
    No. 7 - 12 times
    No. 8 - 3 times

2 @ 6 and 1 @ 7.

Rhys Ruddock?

Where are you getting these numbers?

According to leinsterrugby.ie: Over the past 3 seasons...

Starts at 6: 34
    Starts at 7: 0
    Starts at 8: 4

I feel like I must be going crazy or I'm completely wrong as to what we're talking about!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thread closed. New thread here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement