Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orville

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It was far too long for me for a story that should have been in told in 40 minutes, didn't need 75 minutes

That's several stories they've now carried over into this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭corkie

@flazio It's a follow-up from a season 2 episode which tackled the same issue in very much the same way.

Season 1 episode that it is a tie-back to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,223 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Oh, I just remember it being so serious that it must have been S2. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m hooked to this show. Binged S1 at the weekend on Disney plus.

The contrast is brilliant, sci-fi with comedy. I’m hoping the momentum can be maintained into S2 & S3. I haven’t laughed so much in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

That episode dragged and seemed to go on for hours. Bringing in more about the planet that they were orbiting might have made it a lot less boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,247 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

What a great episode. That was the best episode of the Orville by far this season and certainly one of my favourite episodes of the whole show. Delighted for Topa in the end and as for Klydon good riddance. If a person is not willing to change their point of view from on outdated view to be at least more tolerant then you are better not knowing them at all.

I used to not like Bortas at the beginning of this show but to me he is the character that has grown most in this show now and is one of my favourites.

I was delighted when Issac stepped in and said he would do it and fix Topa. If only it was that simple in real life but maybe in 3 to 5 hundred years it will be.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

How much botox or plastic surgary has seth had he looks like a mannequin at times.

Ms

Another excellent episode and it was funny in a good way in parts too. I really enjoyed that. It was more like old Orville.

The only thing was I thought the last few minutes with the getting Gordan from Earth were rushed. Ye maybe it would have been nothing but they could have done a good scene where maybe they came down and he was like "about time I am not sure I could kill anymore animals I might just decide to starve" or something like that. I think it was an opportunity missed.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭trashcan

Anyone else disappointed to find out this wasn’t a documentary about the famous lime green bird, and his puppet Keith Harris ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭corkie

• Advertisement

🤔 Jury's still out with me I'm afraid. Some improvements in the past few episodes but right now, after 6 episodes on UK/Ireland Paramount Plus pace, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is out Orvilling The Orville.

The most recent episode for example had enough story to juggle between the Kaylon origin story (and clever misdirection into thinking they were stealth invading in "modern day") the emotional Kaylon and Claire and Isaacs love story. The matriarchal species negotiations and John and Keyalis Love Hurts plot lines were only piled in on top of that to provide comic relief. It was just too many ABCD and E plotlines for one episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,598 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dolly's looking damn fine but jaysus a 90 minute episode to rehash the same story again this season - have they run out of ideas for new episodes? Seems like it

This show is losing me fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭steve_r

Yeah much the same - the bloated runtimes are seriously putting me off the show.

In fairness to them, I do think this week is laying the groundwork for another fight with the Kaylons at the end of the season but yeah it is re-covering old ground to get there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,894 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I dunno. I enjoyed it. It makes a nice change to the short-changed varying runtimes of some other stuff (eg: Obi Wan)

This was a continuation of the Topa storyline and the Moclan prejudice against females weaved in with a follow-up to the all-female colony but still moved the arc forward in that the Union took a stand and expelled them despite the riskier position it put them in with the Kaylon threat

What I ended up doing was splitting it into 3 parts and it worked much better that way.

Very strong performance from Rena Owen as Haveena, she's a good guest star. Also from Imani Pullam as Topa.

The Gordon crush was a hiding to nowhere. Should have written Scott Grimes out entirely.

Ms

Well the latest episode "Dominio" was an excellent episode. A lot going on. Very sad at the end. To quote Star Trek: We barely knew her:

We had only just started to get to know her. In saying that do we knew her a lot more than any character from Disvovery.

I thought it would have made a great season final and even thought it might end with a "To Be Continued"

Be interesting to see what the next episode is about and if The Orville gets a Season 4. I hope it does

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I think Orville is slightly struggling with the length of its episode. In just one episode you had alliances breaking down, new alliances forming it felt a bit rushed even if they an hour for the show. Not sure the universe building is that great- the races just feel a bit generic but they are doing better in that regard than the latest star Trek series. Everyone in that universe should be suffering from PTSD with the amount of near extinction events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I caught up with the Orville over the weekend (I watched the last 6 episodes). Very good season overall, but Domino was a superb episode - probably the best out of all 3 seasons so far.

Very good character arc for the casualty in that episode. Sorry to see them go though.

How do they top that for the finale?

What was the reason why they couldnt let one of the robot stay back instead of the human get killed? Was she supposed to be more than these advanced robots? It felt a bit contrived to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

They'd hammered home the 4 dimensional thing a few times, something even Isaac couldn't do.

I guess the scene and resolution of the storyline didnt work for me, even if I found the character who died annoying. Isaacs story is not too dissimilar to the classic Data storyline except it is established they can be coded to act differently still , even murderously and there are millions of them. To be honest the storyline would have worked better if it was Isaac that sacrificed himself - or one of his kind , to show his race had changed and would be trustworthy long term allies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I think for the best resolution what happened needed to happen. The species that were lashing out as their main interaction with biological life was terrible so having someone that was openly hostile to them give their life to save them was the only way to bring them into the fold. Ie not all biologicals

Where as the union knew that Isaacs species could change 1 through learning like he did and 2 reprogramming if they are old enough.

I hope it's back for a season 4 and finds its comedy balance again. Was missing that spark this season at times

I do enjoy the season, think the writing is good apart from my bugbear with isaac and his race storyline. They feel alot like the Cylon storyline from BSG except worse as humans never enslaved them so their redemption arc must be much steeper. I would be 100% behind their extermination 🤔

Ms

The latest episode I have to say was really good and very funny in fact it was very like the first or second season episodes just done better.

I taught Issac taking advice from Lamarr and then asking him if he wanted to be his date lol was hilarious.

Also inviting the whole Kaylon fleet lol.

Also asking Claire for a date then lol.

Yes there was some similarities to Star Trek in there like your one trying to steal a come device's and specs to bring back to her world. I just knew she would try something.

It was very similar to the episode in TNG where the time traveller trys to bring technology back to the 22nd century.

If it was to be The Orvilles last episode it would a good way to leave it.

I however am hopefully that it will get at least another 3 seasons.

To be honest the storyline would have worked better if it was Isaac that sacrificed himself - or one of his kind , to show his race had changed and would be trustworthy long term allies.

It Would not have worked then as the Kaylon would still not trust biologicals as they would just say it was one of them that saved them. The Union would still be at war with the Kaylon then if that was the case.

The whole point was that originally Kaylons had been made to serve biologicals and they started to mistreat them badly untill the Kaylons rebelled and killed them all so now the Kaylons see all biologicals as bad and evil but with her giving her life to save them it made them see that not all biologicals are bad because she was willing to do that even do she hated them.

It was the only way the Kaylons could be convinced that not all biologicals were bad by seeing one sacrifice their life for them and the hope of a better more peaceful future in the Galaxy too of course.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I would think the humans having a weapon to kill them and instead of using them telling them about it and making a deal with them should be enough. The Kaylon are inherently unreliable allies as they still be programmed to act in anyway as shown by that alien female scientist. They could be basically the Terminators of this universe- they are not like the Borg who at least in theory can be deprogrammed and have their original human/brians. I prefer Orville as a funny show because in a serious show the kaylon human relationship would be akin to the Cardassian Bajoran relationship.

Ms

I would think the humans having a weapon to kill them and instead of using them telling them about it and making a deal with them should be enough.

After the way the Kaylons were originally treated by Biologicals not really no and there is a new threat in the Galaxy now from the Moclan Krill allience so the Union needed more allies and yes it's risky with the Kaylon but as Captain Ed Mercer said worth the risk.

Without the Union the Kaylons would not have been able to stop the weapon and would have been eradicated.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

True they are an alliance of convenience but that is not how it seems they are depicting it in the show in the show they are treated as misunderstood versions of Data rather than a species that recently killed their colleagues and friends very recently . As kaylons struck first it would be akin to the Allies in World war II fighting with the aid of Nazi Germany against the Soviet Union (if the soviet union also changed sides ). I can understand the Kaylon origins for their views but am baffled by how they are being treated by the humans now. It is a funny show but I still think the social dynamics should make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,818 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was anyone else expecting a sting in the tail at the wedding ceremony... some sort of Mars Attacks moment?

A lovely episode, if the show isn't renewed it will make a nice send off for the cast and series.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

If it ends up being a send off, then it was a good send off. If it comes back, I'd definitely watch it again but lessons need to be learned about pacing and story tone.

Advertisement