Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orville

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

This show, after a questionable start, has turned out to be an absolute gem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, it's kind of relatively easy-going fun, with a pinch of MacFarlane's social commentary thrown in. As usual, he's pretty overt about the message/moral, which actually makes it easier to watch than if the writers are trying to be subtle but failing.

The last episode I thought was going to be a complete rip-off of that Black Mirror episode, but aside from the basic plot elements (which, to be fair, have their basis in the real world), it took off in its own direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Renewed for a second season.

I may go back now and give it a second go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hated hated HATED the first episode, but I've been catching up this weekend and it's surprisingly great. One of my favourite new shows this year.
    Some of the comedy falls flat but it can be very funny in places too. Like Family Guy. :)

The actual storylines themselves have been very strong - I particularly liked the bioship one with James Morrison, Robert Knepper and Liam Neeson (!)
    The visual effects are also excellent and very polished.

It's much more Star Trekky (and much better) than Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Much more enjoyable than I thought it would be, out of all shows that are back this year its the one I look forward to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This latest one felt a bit more like family guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,247 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have watched all the episodes so far and love it as a fun easy to watch show with humour and the odd serious story like the one with the majority rule in it. The latest episode was very good. A nice fun episode with some good humour. This is much easier to watch than Discovery as it is a more serious show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Slydice wrote: »
    This latest one felt a bit more like family guy
    YOU WILL BE SILENT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Mr E wrote: »
    I hated hated HATED the first episode, but I've been catching up this weekend and it's surprisingly great. One of my favourite new shows this year.
    Some of the comedy falls flat but it can be very funny in places too. Like Family Guy. :)

The actual storylines themselves have been very strong - I particularly liked the bioship one with James Morrison, Robert Knepper and Liam Neeson (!)
    The visual effects are also excellent and very polished.

It's much more Star Trekky (and much better) than Discovery.
    I hated the first episode of Orville and loved the first episode of Discovery.

They're totally different in reality, but I have really started to enjoy both for totally different reasons. I do think that Discovery had a major drop off in week 2-3, but I've really stated to enjoy it.

Orville is very enjoyable and I think the "comedy" aspect of it feels much more natural now than it did in the beginning.

In short - totally different shows, both good for their own reasons.

I love them both but, given the absolute anal and petty attacks on Discovery could you imagine the level of hatred auto generated if "Star Trek:" prefixed "The Orville"

It's getting huge good will, from Discovery detractors, precisely because it's not Trek. Those same people lauding it would hate it were it "canon"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Pelvis wrote: »
    YOU WILL BE SILENT!

:D:D:D

I was kinda looking forward to
    him singing

Ms

Slydice wrote: »
    :D:D:D

I was kinda looking forward to
    him singing

Me too. I thought we might have got to see him
    sing
    at the end of the episode. That would have been a nice way to end it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I was all sorts of reluctant to watch this so I gave the first episode a spin and ended up watching the first four episodes. It’s great fun! Definitely more in the spirit of true Star Trek than the p!ss poor Discovery. We shouldn’t compare but comparisons are inevitable.

Really enjoyable. Gonna stick with it.

david75 wrote: »
    I was all sorts of reluctant to watch this so I gave the first episode a spin and ended up watching the first four episodes. It’s great fun! Definitely more in the spirit of true Star Trek than the p!ss poor Discovery. We shouldn’t compare but comparisons are inevitable.

Really enjoyable. Gonna stick with it.

Define "true Star Trek"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Fox Channel is showing this, starting 14 Dec @ 9PM with a repeat 2 days later - cueing up the old DVR now.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

bnt wrote: »
    The Fox Channel is showing this, starting 14 Dec @ 9PM with a repeat 2 days later - cueing up the old DVR now.

Two episodes in and i've renamed it The Awful.....soz..its brutal watching, wheres the humour..or is it supposed to be serious ....:rolleyes:
    BTW love AD FG and Ted....but this is just orville, makes me miss that guy with his hand up the ducks arse..:)

It gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Mr E wrote: »
    It gets better.

Do you swear, on Santas life...:)

There is some very patchy comedy (that often misses more than it hits), but there are some great trek-style stories in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Do you swear, on Santas life...:)
    Mr E is correct; I started watching it thinking it was suppose to be a parody version of Star Trek but it's honestly a reboot on the Star Trek formula and should be taken as such. Yes it tends to be episodic but there are some interpersonal relationships throughout the episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

BTW love AD FG and Ted....

Yep. This show is 100% not for you.

Yep. This show is 100% not for you.

It defnitely does not benefit from the obvious comparison with his previous body of work. Its style and tone (while lighthearted) are far from the juvenille humour of Family Guy.

I can see an even heavier weighting on the drama side next season, if crew coments are anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just watched the season finale. Between the title and the first scene on the planet, you could tell what was going to happen, since the
    accidental god
    scenario is an established SF trope. It took a left turn, though, with the crew explicitly doing something that would never happen in Star Trek, with more of a nod to golden age SF, especially Asimov.
    Isaac spent 700 years embedded in that planet's culture, watching them develop from roughly where Earth is today in to an advanced galaxy-spanning civilisation: he surely became the galaxy's leading expert on the development of advanced societies.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

bnt wrote: »
    Just watched the season finale. Between the title and the first scene on the planet, you could tell what was going to happen, since the
    accidental god
    scenario is an established SF trope. It took a left turn, though, with the crew explicitly doing something that would never happen in Star Trek, with more of a nod to golden age SF, especially Asimov.
    Isaac spent 700 years embedded in that planet's culture, watching them develop from roughly where Earth is today in to an advanced galaxy-spanning civilisation: he surely became the galaxy's leading expert on the development of advanced societies.

The Doctor did something similar in the ST Voyager episode
    Blink of an Eye
    though only for
    three years

Half the fun of The Orville for me was working out what Trek episodes they were paying homage to each week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Coming back on 30th December; woho!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,090 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

That looks fantastic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Looks like they’re doubling down on effects. Wonder how much per episode it is.

Ms

That looks great. Can't wait. I think The Orville is way more like Star Trek than Discovery. That being said I will watch both but think I will enjoy this way more.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

they aim for the social and political stories the TOS and TNG did which I like especially the one about Bordis's child

Advertisement