Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Orville

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Absolutely brilliant. Can't wait for next week. If it doesn't get renewed for Season 3 it would be the biggest TV Crime of the Year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Great episode, certainly didnt see that coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,895 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well that was a brilliant episode and incredibly dark as it turned out. Can't wait till next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Was going to wait till next week but going to watch it now. Just watched Discovery and it was very good too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,599 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

AMKC wrote: »
    Was going to wait till next week but going to watch it now. Just watched Discovery and it was very good too.

Some similarities in the story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fantastic episode and kept me rooted to the screen.
    While Discovery is declining The Orville goes from strength to strength. Really hope they keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭corkie

Put in spoilers for the latest episode in-case someone hasn't watch yet, as requested?
    Birth of the "Borg" like/concept androids in the Orville? <<<< i know not cyborgs!

67716c20591c0c5a200a2be821107e23e38d10e76fbffac7d3c5061955ae16b4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spoliers^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was excellent. Some good twists in it too. Can't wait to see next weeks episode now. Going to be very interesting to see how this turns out.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,590 ✭✭✭LLMMLL

Spoilered for those who don't like speculation:
    presumably Isaac is just playing along and will turn out to be good in the end

Why were Isaac's eyes blue and the others red?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I've only discovered this programme about 3 weeks ago.
    I was a big Next Generation fan and imo this is the next best thing.
    At first the family guy type jokes and Seth McFarland had me cringing a bit but they have toned them down a bit lately.
    Great episode and can't wait for the next one.

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Spoilered for those who don't like speculation:
    presumably Isaac is just playing along and will turn out to be good in the end
    My guess at what will happen, probably way off the mark.:)
    I think it is a test and the Kaylon will end up in the Union

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

blade1 wrote: »
    I've only discovered this programme about 3 weeks ago.
    I was a big Next Generation fan and imo this is the next best thing.
    At first the family guy type jokes and Seth McFarland had me cringing a bit but they have toned them down a bit lately.
    Great episode and can't wait for the next one.

My guess at what will happen, probably way off the mark.:)
    I think it is a test and they will end up in the Union

When he's not writing the episode it tends to be better. Problem for me is the single thread episodes and all a touchy feely for my liking and some were just very bad calls. I would like to see this latest development as a backdrop for remainder of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

is_that_so wrote: »
    When he's not writing the episode it tends to be better. Problem for me is the single thread episodes and all a touchy feely for my liking and some were just very bad calls. I would like to see this latest development as a backdrop for remainder of this season.

Yeah a few below par episodes but I'm impressed overall and the last episode was excellent.
    To be honest,just by the name alone I was expecting a huge flop and I wasn't even going to bother with it.
    Glad now I did.

I won't be surprised if
    it turns out that it's all a simulation to test their/the Union's reaction to invasion - similar to how the Founders captured the Defiant crew for much the same reason when Odo returned home

Hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Blazer wrote: »
    Fantastic episode and kept me rooted to the screen.
    While Discovery is declining The Orville goes from strength to strength. Really hope they keep it up.
    The last two episodes of Discovery have been some of the most fantastic TV of the year. Not sure what that has to do with The Orville though?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I won't be surprised if
    it turns out that it's all a simulation to test their/the Union's reaction to invasion - similar to how the Founders captured the Defiant crew for much the same reason when Odo returned home

Hope I'm wrong though.

Speculation below:
    I came to a similar conclusion. It's either this or else Isaac will be shown to be really on the side of the Union because of whatever the equivalent to robot feelings are for Ty, mostly, and he will end up saving the day.

The last two episodes of Discovery have been some of the most fantastic TV of the year. Not sure what that has to do with The Orville though?

ah stop talking utter ****e now...the last one wasn't bad but the tilly one? pure muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

LLMMLL wrote: »
    Why were Isaac's eyes blue and the others red?

I'm surprised that they had eyes at all as I thought Isaac mentioned in a previous episode that the only reason he had eyes was to fit in more with the biological beings

5starpool wrote: »
    Speculation below:
    I came to a similar conclusion. It's either this or else Isaac will be shown to be really on the side of the Union because of whatever the equivalent to robot feelings are for Ty, mostly, and he will end up saving the day.
    I'd be really against that tbh. I hate when shows do that and it's like "hey remember the last 82 minutes of TV you just watched? POINTLESS NOW!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,237 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Some of the real set that was used was kinda poor...like why were there handrails on the stairs in some scenes?

For the old cyborgs?

• Advertisement

GreeBo wrote: »
    Some of the real set that was used was kinda poor...like why were there handrails on the stairs in some scenes?

For the old cyborgs?
    I thought that as well, the planet and external ship GCI was very sub-standard and the HQ (clearly an office block lobby in Century City) was particularly bad. The Orville exteriors and interiors were pretty good quality as usual though.

For the old cyborgs?

Well biologicals did live there before. They were obviously advanced enough to build the kaylons etc.

Well biologicals did live there before. They were obviously advanced enough to build the kaylons etc.

Indeed, most likely a holdover from those times that the Kaylon saw no logical reason to bother with either way.

You'd wonder though why they kept vast underground caverns of bodies/bones though rather than just incinerate them

the impression i got was that the revolution was a long time ago, none of those buildings looked old.
    But the whole premise is flawed, like why on earth they need lads on scaffolding playing lights out on the wall. Surely they could build themselves an old computer?

the impression i got was that the revolution was a long time ago, none of those buildings looked old.
    But the whole premise is flawed, like why on earth they need lads on scaffolding playing lights out on the wall. Surely they could build themselves an old computer?

That bit reminded me of the Borg in VOY.. like this..

Arguably very inefficient to have drones/Kaylon lumbering around pressing physical buttons and such rather than just interfacing directly as they did in early TNG

I can excuse the borg somewhat as they are at least part biologics... but why would any artificial race require members to climb a ladder to stand on a platform and press buttons... on a computer when they are all bloody computers!

Same way they wouldn't have sky scrapers they'd probably live underground or on massive ships.

I can excuse the borg somewhat as they are at least part biologics... but why would any artificial race require members to climb a ladder to stand on a platform and press buttons... on a computer when they are all bloody computers!

Same way they wouldn't have sky scrapers they'd probably live underground or on massive ships.

Maybe it's the same reason the Cylons were very humanoid in their behaviour as well - originally designed that way to better integrate/be accepted by their creators

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭pah

Relax, MacFarlane has it covered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Good episode (pt 1). Whatever the opposite of jumping the shark is (diving under the shark?) that was it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Good episode. Whatever the opposite of jumping the shark is (diving under the shark?) that was it.

That part 1 or has 2 came out already?

Advertisement