Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low work hours

Options
  • 16-05-2017 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I've just finished up college for the year and was working 20+ hours during the term, but the last 2 weeks, I've been working 10 hours max, next week I only have 5 hours. I spoke to my manager when I first got the rotas (three weeks ago) and was promised that the hours would increase, but there has been 3 more weeks rotas put up, and no increase in hours. When I signed my contract, I was told that since one of the girls was going on a J1, I'd have a definite 25 hours a week for the summer (unfortunately it's not in writing). She's leaving in 2 weeks, and there's no difference in my hours.
    I was just looking for advice on how to deal with the situation. The pay is alright if I'm working 20 hours a week, but really not livable with fewer hours. Should I look into changing jobs, wait for the hours to improve, or maybe ask for a pay rise? I'm only in the job part time since November, and I don't have much other experience, so I'm not sure how much room to bargain I have. I love the job and would like to ideally keep it, I've put in a lot of work learning and training, but I just can't afford to. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Talk to you employer , say you'd really like more hours and see what they say. You don't really have any bargaining power, but there is nothing to stop you looking for other work in any case.

Advertisement