Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Struggling to burn CD for my tinnitus

Options
  • 16-05-2017 1:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭

As you're familiar with, the options are "burn an audio CD" or "burn files to disc" using windows explorer. After selecting the mp3 file, I click "start burn" and it displays "burning" with the % that's been burned. After a few minutes, the CD pops out, but when I put it back in, it's blank again! WTF! I've tried it on another PC too and the same happens! It's like as if it's pretending to burn a CD!

Funnily, I burned a CD successfully the other night, but in the morning it seemed to be blank again!

The CD brand is verbatim, & it also says "2CD-R 52x" on it. The below poster seemed to have the same question, which didn't get answered.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055116751

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Have you tried using a program to burn to the CD? Not just Windows own one?

Does Windows Media Player still exist? Never had any hassle using it for files.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,650 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the CD showing as blank after the burn when you insert it?
    When you look at the burn side of the CD does it look like data has been burned on it?
    Have you tried other mp3 files to burn on a CD?
    Is the file particularly large in size?
    How long in minutes it the mp3 file?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 52 ✭✭FaceTurnedAway

Is the CD showing as blank after the burn when you insert it?
    yes
    Is the file particularly large in size?
    yes, but it fits. It's an hr long track
    Have you tried other mp3 files to burn on a CD?
    I'm also buring a short 1 minute file along with it.
    When you look at the burn side of the CD does it look like data has been burned on it?
    you can actually tell!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

you can actually tell!?

If you hold it up at an angle to the light and compare it to a real blank cd, you'll notice the difference in tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Try burning it with Imgburn

http://www.imgburn.com/

• Advertisement

FanadMan wrote: »
    If you hold it up at an angle to the light and compare it to a real blank cd, you'll notice the difference in tracks.
    Well it doesn't play anything in a CD player!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Been years since I burned a CD on Windows using the in-built system rather than a 3rd party software but if memory serves somewhere along the process you have to select a tick box that says something like 'actually write these files to disk', cause if you don't it will go through some kind of faux writing process where nothing is actually written. So go though the process again and see if you can find this option.

And yes you can see the files written to disk by looking at it. On a new disk the files will be written from the center outwards and this process of writing with the laser will slightly discolor the original colour of the blank disk. So you will be able to see a contrast in color between the parts of the disk that are written too vs the blank part.

Just downloaded CDBurnerXP and it's the same story. Must be a curse!

AllForIt wrote: »
    if memory serves somewhere along the process you have to select a tick box that says something like 'actually write these files to disk', cause if you don't it will go through some kind of faux writing process where nothing is actually written
    I wonder who thought of that idea!

This time I ticked a box to have "disc data verified" and it said an error occured at the last moment

• Advertisement

Is there business that offers this service? that I can just give them the files on USB?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Is there business that offers this service? that I can just give them the files on USB?

If the mp3 is copyrighted then most reputable places wouldn't touch it.

Are you trying to burn an mp3 to play in a CD player? Does the CD player actually recognise mp3 files?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Are both files mp3 format?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well it doesn't play anything in a CD player!

This is the key.

Some CD players can handle MP3-CDs, others cannot. If you put an MP3CD into the latter it appears blank to it.
    - Audio CDs have a maximum length of 74 minutes due to the uncompressed wave file format.
    - The compressed format allows MP3 CDs to hold 4 to 12 hours of audio files (depending on the bitrate--a large bitrate such as 320 kbps takes up more space than a lower bitrate such as 128 kbps).

If you author the disk with Windows Media Player it should create an audio CD for you.

FanadMan wrote: »
    Does the CD player actually recognise mp3 files?
    Well the first CD player I try it with is the laptop that I'd have jut used to burn it!

As mentioned, the laptop then acts as if it's blank!

mordeith wrote: »
    Are both files mp3 format?
    They weren't 1st time, but after correcting that, it still didn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

They weren't 1st time, but after correcting that, it still didn't work!

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/help/15062/windows-burn-rip-cds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Try Audacity
    You can edit/merge your sound files into one track and change the overall size etc.
    You can also burn it to CD then when you are ready. It is very easy to use.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

If the burning software has an option to "Finalize CD", make sure that is checked. Some players will have difficulty without that option checked. Some older players I think work better with Audio CD-R discs, and may not accept CD-R ones. Make sure to choose the Audio CD and not MP3 CD option, as Audio CD option will convert songs to suitable audio format which standard CD players understand,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,450 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

you will have Windows Media Player on your PC so use the following guide to do it

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-burn-audio-cd-with-windows-media-player-11-2438904

• Advertisement
Advertisement