Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Luxembourg

Options
  • 16-05-2017 5:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I'm threw to the 3rd round of interviews for job with a financial institution in Luxembourg. Not to count my chickens but if I am successful would I need to get something similar to a PPS number or some form to work there for tax purposes? I'm an Irish citizen so there's no restrictions on my right to work in Luxembourg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, you'll have to do whatever Luxembourgers do to keep their tax/benefits affairs in order.

From memory, the deal in Luxembourg is that every worker has a "tax card" issued by the authorities. Luxembourg residents get this issued to them automatically; non-residents with employment in Luxembourg have to apply for it. Presumably at the point where you become a Luxembourg resident there's some step you take which will trigger the issue of the tax card, but I've no idea what step that is. You give your tax card to your employer, and it's used to track your tax deductions, social security contributions, etc. I'm guessing there's an "emergency tax" regime with high deductions that is applied until you produce a tax card, but I don't actually know that.

There's a large number of non-Luxembourgers working in Luxembourg, so you're not the first person to have to ask these questions. No doubt the detailed answers are out there in explanatory material issued to aid people coming to Luxembourg.

A spot of googling might yield a lot. Alternatively you can approach the [URL="http://www.impotsdirects.public.lu/fr.html#]Administration des Contributions Directes[/URL], which is the branch of the Luxembourg tax offices that deals with direct taxes (like income tax). They are the ones who will issue the tax card, if you get to the point of needing one. I'd be a bit surprised if they didn't have staff who can deal with you in English and/or explanatory material and guides available in English.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

See page 46. You need to visit the local government offices and apply for a residency permit, that should start the ball rolling, it is pretty much the same in all EU countries.

http://www.cc.lu/fileadmin/user_upload/cc.lu/Publications/VivreetTravailler_GB_2009.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I haven't got any useful information to add to your request, seems well covered above, but I was in Luxembourg a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely fantastic! A relatively fleeting visit but seemed to me to be a brilliant place. Hope all goes well for you!

Advertisement