Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly campervan rental in Ireland

Options
  • 16-05-2017 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Have googled without much success, does anyone know of any campervan rental shops that would cater for two people and a non drooling dog?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

I would love to know it as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Who have you tried?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pawsitive Dog Training

Did you find anything in the end @shoutman? I'm hoping to head to Italy in October with my dog and I'm looking for a campervan/motorhome that I can hire to go in. Don't really wanna have to sleep in the van again during the drive from France to Italy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭mrs.doubt.fire

I purchased my camper van for my dogs...and they drool...a lot LOL
    Best advice I'd give is...when renting...dont tell them your bringing your dog ;)
    You'll be ok PROVIDED...your dog don't chew the fixtures and fittings during your time renting it, when your finished with it give it a really good clean out and get rid of all dog hair and smells and they'll be none the wiser ;)

To stop your dog from chewing fixtures and fittings (if he's inclined to do so) get apple juice (not orange juice) and put it in a spray bottle...and spray the fixtures and fittings. Dogs HATE the smell of apple juice!!

If your taking your dog out of Ireland to Europe including the UK/Scotland/Wales and further, make sure your dogs ''pets passport'' is up to date on all vaccines including rabies vaccine, wormers, flea and tick. Bring your dog(s) and their passports to your vet *between 24 and no later than 48 hours before your sailing time*. Do that before you leave Ireland and again before you come back.
    Dont use Vet's too close to Calais France and Cherbourg France because they charge over the top coz they know your racing for a ferry and yes they like to cash in on it. On your home ward journey, please take note...this is VERY important...check in TWO (2) HOURS before your sailing time when you have dogs with you, not one hour...TWO HOURS!! Ask your vet if you can borrow their microchip scanner coz you might need it at the ferry ports, mainly in France coz they never charge them! If they cant scan your dog...you cant travel, if you cant travel you'll have to wait another 24 to 48 hours and take the dog to the vet again to get his passport stamped again before the next sailing.
    Oh....bring your own flea & tick treatments for coming back, it's cheaper than buying from the Vet's out there in Europe. But do treat them for flea and mainly ticks coz they more than likely will pick up a few, keep them out of long over grown grass area and woods.

• Advertisement

PS
    If your going to Europe, ask the rental company for the European electric hook up attachment, it will do every country in Europe but not Switzerland, you'll need a different one entirely for Switzerland. If you forget it dont panic, you'll pick them up in most hardware stores in Europe. Some camp sites may have them but you'l have to give them back before you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

Mrs.doubt.fire ,
    I don't think that's very good advice regarding hiring a motorhome and taking a pet without getting prior permission from the rental company .
    Remember that anyone hiring a motorhome is required to leave a substantial security deposit that could be affected if the terms and conditions are not adhered to . Here at Ireland West Motorhomes we would have no problem charging for a full interior valet if someone tried to deceive us in this manner . During the peak summer period our vehicles will sometimes only have a 2 or 3 hour turnover time , it's possible that the next customer has allergies or possible respiratory problems that will be triggered by pet hair , scents etc.
    We have one dog friendly motorhome on our fleet but again this would be subject to fairly stringent inspection on its return.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

If your taking your dog out of Ireland to Europe including the UK/Scotland/Wales and further, make sure your dogs ''pets passport'' is up to date on all vaccines including rabies vaccine, wormers, flea and tick. Bring your dog(s) and their passports to your vet *between 24 and no later than 48 hours before your sailing time*. Do that before you leave Ireland and again before you come back.

Why? You do not need to do that for pets when leaving Ireland, or coming in from the UK - I assume you are including England, as well as Scotland and Wales - it is only for commercial transporters. You also do not need a health check coming back from the continent, but yes you do need the worming tablet done by a vet.

muddypaws wrote: »
    Why? You do not need to do that for pets when leaving Ireland, or coming in from the UK - I assume you are including England, as well as Scotland and Wales - it is only for commercial transporters. You also do not need a health check coming back from the continent, but yes you do need the worming tablet done by a vet.

Yes actually you do when coming and going from Ireland to UK including Wales and Scotland as well as Europe. I know because I travel regularly with my dogs for shows and all my dogs have pets passports and they are now checking at Irish ferry ports coming and going to the UK from Ireland. I only travel with 2 dogs and on a rare occasion 3 dogs, all for dog shows. If you turn up at the ferry port and you have no pets passport for each dog, you can travel but your dogs can not. Dont give wrong info and have folks turning up at the ferry ports with no passports or they are not up to date, there is no refund on your ferry ticket if you cant travel with your dog. The rule is for pets as well as other dogs regardless if they are going to a show or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

demoreino wrote: »
    Mrs.doubt.fire ,
    I don't think that's very good advice regarding hiring a motorhome and taking a pet without getting prior permission from the rental company .
    Remember that anyone hiring a motorhome is required to leave a substantial security deposit that could be affected if the terms and conditions are not adhered to . Here at Ireland West Motorhomes we would have no problem charging for a full interior valet if someone tried to deceive us in this manner . During the peak summer period our vehicles will sometimes only have a 2 or 3 hour turnover time , it's possible that the next customer has allergies or possible respiratory problems that will be triggered by pet hair , scents etc.
    We have one dog friendly motorhome on our fleet but again this would be subject to fairly stringent inspection on its return.
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

Spot on demoreino!
    Not very responsible to encourage someone to deceive in this manner.

You are exactly right regarding allergies or possible respiratory problems that will be triggered by pet hair, scents etc. I know of people affected by such allergies and they would not be impressed if they rented such a motorhome only for their holiday to be ruined by such deception.

I don't have such allergies but equally would not be impressed if I rented such a motorhome only to be accompanied by dog scents in a confined space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement