Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite piece of cycling equipment?

• 16-05-2017 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

As the title says.

My favourite is my bag, Osprey Escapist 25L, fits everything and I don't notice it on my back. The Helmet catch is great as well when walking.

Least favourite is probably my jacket it's like a bin bag and if I wear a short sleeved tshirt, the arms become soakes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

A Kask Mojito helmet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Essax-Shark-Saddle.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

cotton caps. no specific one but they're one of the cheapest yet most useful things i own!

Grassey wrote: »
    Essax-Shark-Saddle.jpg

So there appears to be a shark fin in the middle of the contact point. I don't get it? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Cup, for the amount of potholes around town

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

looks more painful than anything, but I take your word for it. I find my self standing and raising my a** going over bumps and potholes

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭HowItsMade

cotton caps. no specific one but they're one of the cheapest yet most useful things i own!

never saw the use for them? What are they for?

HowItsMade wrote: »
    never saw the use for them? What are they for?

i've bad eyesight and don't wear contacts so will always have prescription lenses in my glasses. the caps keep the rain off the glasses, shield the sun and soak up sweat , therefore keeping it out of my eyes. only a couple of quid each too so easily replaced once the last bit happens a few times too often!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Out of the many many pieces of clothing equipment and 3 bikes my favourite is an Aldi Pro Performance long sleeve jersey. It's a race cut (probably based on the Gabbe) but is for Autumn/spring wear and is windproof at the front with a long tail at the rear (which I normally tuck up under the jersey itself) I've had mine for 3 years and have worn it countless times and it's still as good as new. I bought a second one (new and unused) on Adverts last year just in case anything ever happened my own. I got it when it was reduced from €34.99 to €14.99.

Out of the many many pieces of clothing equipment and 3 bikes my favourite is an Aldi Pro Performance long sleeve jersey. It's a race cut (probably based on the Gabbe) but is for Autumn/spring wear and is windproof at the front with a long tail at the rear (which I normally tuck up under the jersey itself) I've had mine for 3 years and have worn it countless times and it's still as good as new. I bought a second one (new and unused) on Adverts last year just in case anything ever happened my own. I got it when it was reduced from €34.99 to €14.99.

based on your descpription i don't think aldi have it this time?

this looks close but not exact?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

My favourite is my chamois cream, I never go anywhere without it.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,857 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

the caps keep the rain off the glasses, shield the sun and soak up sweat , therefore keeping it out of my eyes. only a couple of quid each too so easily replaced once the last bit happens a few times too often!

I agree and in my case I don't really like wearing cycling glasses so the peak down also helps keep midges etc out of my eyes and bumble bees out of my hair...er...scalp...

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

vektarman wrote: »
    My favourite is my chamois cream, I never go anywhere without it.....

Do many people really use this stuff all that often? I used it once, when I did Paris Roubaix in 2011 and have one in the drawer but have never used it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Castelli Speed Suit.
    best, most comfy bit of kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Bike Frame-Mounted pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

The saddle. The invention of the saddle really made cycling a more enjoyable experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

I like my gadgets- for me it's between my Garmin Edge 520 or else strangely the forward mount for the Garmin - I really felt this made cycling that little bit safer that I'm not glancing down quite as far!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My wife is absolutely useless at buying me presents but one time she got it right (with out me having to buy it for her!). I got a neck scarf. Simple but I've had it nearly 5 years. Probably the only piece of kit or equipment that has lasted the test of time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Joe Blow track pump: Replaceable gubbins are a godsend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

based on your descpription i don't think aldi have it this time?

this looks close but not exact?

No mine is windproof only on the front panels but not water/shower proof and is made from very thin stretchy material whereas that one is of heavier construction plus that one doesn't have storm flap at the rear (like a gabba)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

From a clothing point of view, my merino buff. If we're talking about gear, I bought a dropper post recently and it's changed my life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's really only because it's new, but I'm enjoying my Ikea-hack sidebasket and the ability to spontaneously stop off and get about €25 of shopping, without totally unbalancing the bike.

418094.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21 cloonamnaman

Topeak bar bag (large), saw similar on others & wondered what they were useful for, now had this for several months worried that it is so useful it will never come off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm not a gadget person, I've some sort of Garmin but can't even remember which lol.

I'll pick three favs.

My Aldi/Lidl winter gloves, can't remember which shop but I've been using them about seven years now and they're fantastic. I bought the Lobster gloves last year but even during the coldest mornings they were a little too warm.

A Brooks saddle, it was literally a ball breaker to break in but once its done its really nice.

Last, and a very recent addition. A rack & panniers to my hybrid. I've cycled for over 20 years with a back pack, don't know how I done it now that I've got panniers. They're so fecking handy, and during last weeks hot weather ~ no more sweaty, sticky back under a back pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

New rapha gillet i purchased witth a 25% discount code ...wore it a couple of times so far....its fricking awesome...super light to be packed in pocket and also does exactly what it says on tin....oh and its great looking!

Advertisement