Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with curls/waves at home

Options
  • 16-05-2017 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭

I SUCK at doing my hair. I've never mastered any sort of hair skill. I blowdry it and straighten it, or else throw it in a messy bun/ponytail.

My hair is below shoulder length and is reasonably thin. I really just want to be able to have nice bouncy curls in the ends of my hair. I often get curly blowdries and would love to be able to recreate that kind of look at home.

Any ideas what the best implement to do this is?! A wand? I don't want to spend a lot of money (max €50), cos my hair skills are useless, so chances are it'll end up gathering dust :rolleyes:

Help please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

buy a slim old school curling tongs, should cost around €20.

I have fine hair too and I found I didn't have enough hair to cover the wand. I usually hold the tongs to my head for about 40 secs then spray with tons of hairspray. There's loads of tutorials on youtube to help too

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I just use heated rollers as I'm useless with curling tongs. Got them in Lidl years ago for €20. Put them in when hair is nearly dry and take them out a half hour later

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Jrop wrote: »
    buy a slim old school curling tongs, should cost around €20.

I have fine hair too and I found I didn't have enough hair to cover the wand. I usually hold the tongs to my head for about 40 secs then spray with tons of hairspray. There's loads of tutorials on youtube to help too

My worry with the wand is that they turn out tight and small...is that not the case?
    jadie wrote: »
    I just use heated rollers as I'm useless with curling tongs. Got them in Lidl years ago for €20. Put them in when hair is nearly dry and take them out a half hour later

Have tried heated rollers :o Putting them in was a disaster! Didn't have the patience for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

My worry with the wand is that they turn out tight and small...is that not the case?

Not if you take bigger sections of hair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

To achieve a similar look I curl with a medium size curling wand, leave the curls to cool, and then brush out the curls with a paddle brush. I always get lots of compliments when I do this!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Have you tried using your straightners to curl your hair? It takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it its so quick and easy!

GingerLily wrote: »
    Have you tried using your straightners to curl your hair? It takes a little practice, but once you get the hang of it its so quick and easy!

Yep! And it's a no go :o

Feck it I've got this in my basket now, it has good reviews and it's cheap. I'll give it a whirl and see how I get on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I'd recommend one of the rotating brush stylers if you want to recreate the look of a bouncy blowdry.
    They're easy to use, especially on finer hair, and quick.
    Product is important too - I use a tiny amount of L'Oréal creme de mousse, and finish with a fine mist of a good hairspray.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

Have tried heated rollers :o Putting them in was a disaster! Didn't have the patience for them!

ah that's a shame, they take me literally 2 mins to put in. 7 rollers in total, use the bigger ones in the set

dee_mc wrote: »
    I'd recommend one of the rotating brush stylers if you want to recreate the look of a bouncy blowdry.
    They're easy to use, especially on finer hair, and quick.
    Product is important too - I use a tiny amount of L'Oréal creme de mousse, and finish with a fine mist of a good hairspray.

I have a Big Hair, but it's the large one. I don't really use it that much but I must dig it out when the wand comes so I can get some volume on top and then curls on the bottom :)
    jadie wrote: »
    ah that's a shame, they take me literally 2 mins to put in. 7 rollers in total, use the bigger ones in the set

I should probably just get someone to teach me :rolleyes::D I've actually thought about doing one of those hairdressing hobby classes just to get the basics down! I'm good at makeup, have just never been good at hair :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Percyxoxo

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    To achieve a similar look I curl with a medium size curling wand, leave the curls to cool, and then brush out the curls with a paddle brush. I always get lots of compliments when I do this!

Sounds fab!What hair tool do you use? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I know it's out of your price range but I use Curl Secret by Babyliss, and it's foolproof. I could never get the hang of Wands.
    Everyone thinks I get my hair styled professionally when I use it.
    It just takes a little bit of time to get used to it - only feed in small sections.
    It takes me 10 minutes to style my (thick) hair.

When I got it, it was about €189 but here it is for €100. Totally worth it.

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/babyliss-curl-secret-simplicity-hair-curler-gift-set/1600165781.prd?gclid=CITsmJWL_9MCFUMo0wodWbEBEg

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

I second the Curl Secret. It's foolproof!

Tips: prep your hair with a very tiny bit of spray hold/mousse or similar. Do not overload with products! section your hair like a pro. Take small sections of hair to feed in. Wait for it to cool completely before gently brushing out, so do your make-up at this point. Use your fingers rather than a brush if you find the brush pulls the curls out. Et voil?.

Advertisement